Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When is it ever 'perfectly acceptable' to say things to other people that they will find offensive and insulting?
When it's the truth. When discussing ethics and morality should we concern ourselves more with avoiding hurting people's feelings or with telling the truth

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is it truth?
If I say the Bible says that male homosexuality is an abomination, I can prove it just by showing you the Bible verse. Thus it is the truth

If I read in a book "Christian's are abominations", what makes that truth?
If you can show us the book, fine, if not, then you would be disseminating false information

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If I say the Bible says that male homosexuality is an abomination, I can prove it just by showing you the Bible verse. Thus it is the truth

It is truth that the bible states homosexuality is an abomination, but it isn't truth that homosexuality is an abomination.

If you can show us the book, fine, if not, then you would be disseminating false information

Here is the problem, if my friend emails me that, then it is truth that my friend says "Christian's are abominations" but it isn't truth that Christians are abominations. In other words, I shouldn't say "Christian's are abominations", without quoting my friend, and you shouldn't say "Homosexuals are abominations" without quoting it from the bible.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is truth that the bible states homosexuality is an abomination,
And I believe that's what we're discussing herre

but it isn't truth that homosexuality is an abomination.
That would be the reason for the discussion. Some would be for describing it as an abomination according to the Bible, and others would be opposed

Here is the problem, if my friend emails me that, then it is truth that my friend says "Christian's are abominations" but it isn't truth that Christians are abominations. In other words, I shouldn't say "Christian's are abominations", without quoting my friend, and you shouldn't say "Homosexuals are abominations" without quoting it from the bible.
I don't believe that's the situation we're discussing :wave:

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It is truth that the bible states homosexuality is an abomination, but it isn't truth that homosexuality is an abomination.

I want to hammer this point home because everyone seems to be missing it:

The bible does not state that homosexuality is an abomination.

Never, not once. Nobody can provide a verse that says so.

The bible states that if a man lies with a man as he would a woman it is an abomination, their death will be upon them.

The bible does not state that two men having sex is an abomination.

The bible states that if a man lies with a man as he would a woman it is an abomination, their death will be upon them.

Now what that means is up to the interpretation of the individual. But it does not state these things being accepted as factual even once.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That would be the reason for the discussion. Some would be for describing it as an abomination according to the Bible, and others would be opposed

If you want to quote scripture, then you should. But, like Athene I think is saying, you shouldn't just say "homosexuality is an abomination" without any references as I imagine it is offensive and hurtful to some. Personally, I don't care what you say, but if you are simply paraphrasing then what is to stop me doing the same thing from God knows what source, and what makes your source (the bible) any more truth than my source (a friend's email)?

A better solution, if you don't agree with homosexuality, is to articulately explain what is wrong with it in your own words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I want to hammer this point home because everyone seems to be missing it:

The bible does not state that homosexuality is an abomination.

The bible does not state that two men having sex is an abomination.

Now what that means is up to the interpretation of the individual. But it does not state these things being accepted as factual even once.

I don't doubt you, I was merely using it as an example, I just didn't have the energy to look up the exact quote :)

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you want to quote scripture, then you should. But, like Athene I think is saying, you shouldn't just say "homosexuality is an abomination" without any references as I imagine it is offensive and hurtful to some. Personally, I don't care what you say, but if you are simply paraphrasing then what is to stop me doing the same thing from God knows what source, and what makes your source (the bible) any more truth than my source (a friend's email)?
I don't find any problem with paraphrasing as long as I can produce the reference if asked, and frankly, most here, including the homosexuals, are familiar with what the Bible says regarding homosexuality.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't find any problem with paraphrasing as long as I can produce the reference if asked, and frankly, most here, including the homosexuals, are familiar with what the Bible says regarding homosexuality.

Why not explain in your own words and put your own argument across on why homosexuality is wrong? You wont convince any non-Christians why homosexuality is wrong if you say "it's wrong because the bible says so"

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I have a question.

This was posted as the reason for closing My first gay thread:
Athene
Thank You Flaglady For All You've Done For CF!

Blessings: 156,046 [Bless]
Reps: 2086805 (power: 2098)

This is a fascinating discussion and some of the posts make very good reading, however referring to homosexuality as an abomination is just not ok under our new FSGs which state that one should post with respect for other people. Respectful and informed debate is our MO, and try as I might I can not see how allowing the use of phrases such as 'homosexuality is an abomination' will help us achieve our goal of turning E&M around into a place where respectful discussion takes place.

Unfortunately I will have to close this thread.

I understand that what you want to foster is respect for others, and prevent the opportunity for people to simply attack others as a wolf in sheep's clothing, in an attempt to demand that even gay people are one's neighbors, and should be treated with the courtesy you would give to anyone else.

However, most Christians point to Leviticus (ignoring the rest of the verses, because they are inconvenient, or not observed by anyone, such as not sleeping in the same bed as your wife during her menstral cycle), and then claim it is not their words, but that of God.

Now, they are claiming that homosexuality is an abomination according to God, and that it is not their condemnation, but God's, and they are simply agreeing.

There are others who struggle with this, reading the two verse so oft quoted in the obscure book, and he feel that it is wrong, and a sin, but feel like by voicing their religious views, they are considered being disrespectful.

As a gay man, i have heard them more times than I can count, often misquoted by people (claiming, for example, that S&G was destroyed solely because of homosexuality, while the instance was clearly one of gangrape, not wanting to have a loving monogamous relationship with the angels, and Ezekial and other passages point out that they were arrogant, unwelcoming to visitors, had much wealth but did not look after the poor, the young, or the old - were basically lovers of self, and acted as such.)

If one truly struggled or was concerned with homosexuality, they would certainly scour the bible, as many of us did in our youth, looking for some understanding, some guidance, some explanation of our "otherness" that seemed to arrive during our adolescence. I often think of Metamorphasis, the man who suddenly wakes up one day a cockroach, suddenly hated and rejected, and confused about how such a thing could happen.

If one is to truly understand what the bible says about homosexuality, one has to be free to voice their opinions freely as well. Most of us homosexuals have had rough lives. We are called sissy, the "f" word, thrown into lockers by those of the world. By those who claim to believe in Jesus, we are told that homosexuality is an abomination, that we do not have the ability to love, that it is sinful and hateful to God, and sometimes, the Christian will even have the guts to show their true colors, and claim that God hates homosexuals themselves, which is more of a reflection of their lack of love, than God's, and their lack of humilty, suggesting that God loves them, and not you.

I've been through it all. I've been called really terrible names, been told that God hates me, hates my love for my partner and all the joy it brings, had people try to quote Romans, that clearly states that the people were worshipping animal gods, and having same sex relations as part of their worship of the creation, and try to compare that to two people having a loving relationship. They claim that it is God's words, when it is their own lack of God's love and mercy, which they selfishly give themselves, but are unable to grant gays, as Simon doubted Christ when he showed love for the prostitute, because Simon could not offer to him himself, looked at her with condemnation and thought her very lowly, and thus, no Son of God would love her, and allow her in his presence either.

And yet, Jesus showed Simon, through his own admission, that his love and devotion paled to that shown by the prostitute. Jesus taught him something, and I believe that Simon, as opposed to many of the others, because of his own admission, learned something. He was humbled before God, and put lower than someone whom he thought so undeserving of respect and love, due to his own pride and selfishness. I wonder if he then walked away, looking very differently at the prostitutes and tax collectors, whom he once prided himself on being holier than, being put in the place that he judged them down to, seeing them differently than he had for so much of his life. I wonder if he went back to the temple, and wondered who of the Pharisees also was not loving God, but simply themselves, and to arrogant in their pride and egos to admit how completely wrong they had been, of how wrong and inaccurately they had taught and told others.

Unless we allow for freedom of thought, and opinion, we don't allow for learning, we don't allow for examination of belief or claims of knowledge of God, and thus, continue in darkness. Imagine that Jesus, rather than speak up and challenge a Pharisee, and challenge his love of his neighbor, his love of God himself, or his understand of what God is and wants of us, said nothing, allowed Simon to say nothing, and the prostitute went her way. Simon would then leave, thinking Christ a fraud for not knowing that she was a prostitute, and continue in darkness. The prostitute would continue believing the Pharisee that she doesn't deserve respect, while they do, and that they are loved more by God.

Nothing changes, nothing heals.

Some of my words, which feel as if they are flying out of another part of me, and not my words at all, but said with an authority and knowledge that I know is true to the core, challenges one who claims to speak for God, when they may be speaking from their own darkness of their hearts. They may mask their hatred for gays in a misquote from Leviticus, but it has to be let out to expose it, and allow the HS to speak to their heart, and allow them, like Simon, to learn, and humble themselves, and listen to the love of the HS and God, or choose to be like the other Pharisees, who simply treated Christ as a threat to their own selfishness and status, who questioned Christ and condemned him for simply demonstrating love for those whom they could not.

One has to have that choice. One also has to acknowledge that many Christians claim that homosexuality as we understand it today, is exactly what was spoken of in Leviticus, that only speaks of same sex sex, and not same sex relationships.
To simply shut down the thread because of such things is to suggest that one must also not quote the bible itself.

However, in freeing that up, in allowing people to claim what the bible says, maybe they can see that it says something very different than what they believe when they approach it in love, rather than condemnation, and a justification for their lack of love.

Perhaps they will see that they aren't better than their gay and lesbian neighbors, but loved equally by God, and in so, see their own lack of love, and better understand God's love itself.

I'm 45. I've grown a tough skin. I was once fooled, listening to those who claim to love God, that I, myself, was unloveable by God, even hated. I believed man, and not God, and not the Bible. It led to years of shame, of self hatred, and a deep depression that I fortunately didn't succeed in killing myself, all because I believed the lies. And I came out the other side, understood that I am loved deeply by God, and anyone who claims differently doesn't know God, as Simon didn't.

God, who was great, and powerful, chose to be human, poor, mocked, beaten, spit on, all because he wanted to demonstrate his ability to love in the face of cruelty, to challenge the way people believed in God and what he wants from us, which is to love one another and be happy. He even allowed them to kill him, because he threatened them so much, but the love of God cannot be killed. So, people appear, and are burnt at the stake for blasphemy, as Jesus was ridiculed for showing the darkness of those in power by loving everyone equally. Martin Luther King preached love and equality, and again and again, someone appears, and has to take a beating, but they do it in the name of love, for their love and dedication to love, to heal this world, even if it means giving up their own lives.

So, having someone say, "Homosexuality is an abomination" isn't so bad, considering what others have had to endure. And it opens up the discussion of what the bible does and doesn't say, and truly questions the heart of those who use it to support their own anger and condemnation, as well as helps understanding for those who feel that homosexuality is a sin, but are unsure how they can love their gay neighbor by denying them the companionship that they give themselves, and understand it's great importance. Most people in the church are simply going to agree with the sin issue, and not offer support of what "love your neighbor" truly means when Christ says it, thinking it no different that asking an alcoholic not to drink, while drinking in front of them, and seeing it the burden of their neighbor that God has put upon them, and not their own lack of understanding, of seeing the person as themselves and an equal.

People need to be at least offered another alternative, to have their voices expressed, so that they can be challenged, so that they can question their hearts, their true motives for such statements as "homosexuality is an abomination", whether it is their own feeling, or that of God, and whom they are truly following.

I feel for such people, who feel that God has put them in an impossible place, to either boldly say that homosexuality is an abomination, and obey and believe God's Word, or to love their neighbor as themselves, in allowing, say, gay marriage, or tolerating gay relationships, especially when "gay people" for these christians, are not some faceless people, but their coworkers, their sibling, or their friends.

And maybe that is what God has done: forced Christians, those who follow him, and claim to love God, to love others and treat them with respect, and care about their welfare as much as they do their own if not more, to choose between what they have read in, say, Leviticus, and what they feel the Spirit calling them to do. God has put Christians in a dilemma to either follow their own prejudices, or challenge them, and follow God.

It's created a disonance, unless one does not have love for his neighbor, and sees gays as simply his enemy who will get what is coming to them. But for those that truly seek the importance of what Christ commanded, they are being put to a choice: to find a way to love their gay brothers and sisters, while still obeying God, and believing the Word.

To those who use the Bible as the Pharisees, it will become an issue of legality, of what does the word "of" mean, of disecting all of the details, and being far more confused than when they began, usually resolving to act as they believe, rather than the nature of the Spirit.

However, to those whom really know God, who really understand the amazing power and ability of his love to transform and heal us, so that we can do the same to others in turn, its a riddle of what to do, but easily solvable.
Christ said that unless one becomes like a child, they cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven. That's because the answer is so easy, so simplistic, that so many people think that it can't possibly be the solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian

As recent as the 1960s, people believed that homosexuality was a form of mental illness, but later proven to not meet any of the criteria for mental illness. Prior to that, in the 1800s, homosexuality was finally coined as same sex attraction, meaning that prior to that, homosexuality wasn't a word, nor was the concept of a person being homosexual wasn't even a concept people knew of. They simply understood people to be heterosexual. Homosexuality wasn't a concept that they perceived, and thus, didn't exist, as far as they knew. There were no gay people, because "homosexaulity", or the idea that someone is attracted to people of the same sex, is something that never crossed their mind. Even those who were caught having same sex relations were not thought of as "homosexual", but violating nature, their heterosexual nature.

So, you are telling me that the bible, written 2000 years ago, is speaking clearly about a concept that wasn't really acknowledged to exist, let alone understood, by most people until about 1960 or 1970?

You are claiming that Romans, for example, where Paul sees men lusting for men, and women for women, in a time during which Greeks were known to go to orgies with other men as recreational sex, and that simply accepted and understood, while they went home to their wives for procreation, a passage that clearly states that they worshipped the creation rather than the creator, with idol worship of birds and other animals, such as the Jews and the Gold Calf, is clearly, exactly the same thing as two men in a loving, monogamous relationship?

This is what you are asking us to believe?

Why? How does taking something like homosexuality, as understood by modern science and psychology, and then plugging it into a verse on idol worship, serve God? If anything, it puts words into God's mouth that aren't there.

It is as proposterous as taking our understanding of Alzheimers, or physics and rocket science, or modern medicine, or the immorality of slavery, and trying to plug it into an ancient people who didn't have that knowledge.

To do so is to falsify God's Word, and make it say what we wish it to say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
From the Forum Specific Guide

Here is where I think it will be tricky:

One can look to the story of Elijah, for example, and point out that Elijah, in the contest to built a fire for their God, mocks the worshippers of Baal, laughing that the rain that he believes God has sent to their altar, even pours water upon his own altar to really stick it to them when it lights.

Elijah is considered a holy man, and revered in both Judaism and Christianity.

On another forum, a Christian, then following what seems to be condoned, and is certainly not implied in any way that he was acting sinfully in his open mockery, defeat, and murder of the worshippers of Baal, will then argue that they, like Elijah, have the right to mock nonbelievers, because like Elijah, they believe in the true God.

Of course, as a Buddhist, it is clearly a misuse of text, and one must ignore Christ's commandment to love others as yourself (and I don't like to be mocked, which doesn't praise God, but rather, exhalts the self, and says, "I'm right"), as well as ignore the call for being kind, gentle and compassionate, of loving your neighbor, etc.

However, for some Christians, the bible is used as a weapon, misused to inflict insult, injury, to try to make the other less than, and all of it justified by claiming that they aren't your words, but God's.

And the truth is, they are right. And they aren't. Even Satan was able to misuse the Scripture in order to tempt the Christ to sin in the wilderness. There are parts of the bible one must confront, such as David praising he who dashes the little ones of his enemies against the rocks, and ask ourselves, in love and mercy, if this is what God wants, or if this is something that we should learn not to do.

I suspect that there will be protest against such offenses, the lawyers running to the bible, claim that God said it, and so it was not them at all, but God who should be chastised, and since that cannot be done, it should be allowed, as they are simply following and quoting the bible, and I think, for the moderators, its going to be hard. You will have to find a way to acknowledge what the bible might say, and yet, question the user of the Bible, just as Christ did with Satan.

I don't envy you. It's going to be hard. For me, it's simply difficult for me to see people form God in their own ugly image, and then claim it to be God. It's a true blasphemy of the religion.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I have a question that i am concerned about, especially because of the wording.

A poster says: Gays should live single, celebate, chaste lives.

I then point out that that is similar to Christ's chastising of the Pharisees who, with legalities, would tie burdens to the backs of their followers, suggesting that sacrifice and suffering for God makes him happy, and shows him their dedication, while giving themselves easy lives.

In the same way, if one is not ready to leave his wife, and live a life of lonliness, no romantic contacts, no sex, and companionship, to show gays how they should live, then at least the person is living by example. However, like the Pharisees, they command others to live a harder life than they are willing to do themselves, and claim it to be what God commands.

I continued to point out that because it is so similar to the false idea the Pharisees offer, that God demands our suffering, that it is not God that the person wants the gay person to obey, but themselves. In believing God would want that for another, while not wanting it for themselves, they have not loved their neighbor. By thinking that God wants us to suffer is to not understand God at all. To be unable to understand what you are asking of a gay person, unable because you refuse to put yourself in their shoes, see them as an equal, as a neighbor, again, is not loving ones neighbor.

Yeah, it's harsh.

Am I violating the rules?
In my mind, while i may be responding to the poster, it is more of that concept, one which I have heard a number of times, usually from happily married couples who are somehow threatened by the idea that gay couples can be happy, too, and even want the same things. It's a matter of realizing that straight people aren't better than, but equal to gays, and that's very humbling. Its an attitude that is common among heterosexuals, and that is what I am addressing.

I think that it is an important thing to point out, especially when the people that demand such a thing rarely actually think about what they are asking, what that would be like, mostly, because they have an easy life, and don't care. Its important to explore who is really happy with it - God, or the person making the demand.

It's a concept that is being addressed, and not a poster. The poster is irrelevant, because it isn't something that any gay poster has heard 10 times already.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
When it's the truth. When discussing ethics and morality should we concern ourselves more with avoiding hurting people's feelings or with telling the truth

If I speak in the languages of men and angels but have no love, I have become a reverberating gong or a clashing cymbal.

To put it another way, if your speak your truth but your delivery stinks i.e you offend and insult people then all you are is background noise, nobody will listen, nobody will pay attention.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.