Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
well, regardless if its true or not; its sick and double minded if one cannot point out the bigotry in one's racism, yet, one can also condemn one as an evil doing heathen because the Bible does that.

No you can't call other members evil doing heathens, you can't call them bigots either. Just as MachZer0 has to restrict himself to referring to intercourse between members of the same sex as an abomination, so must you refrain from calling other members bigots. In a debate (this is a debate forum after all) you address the points another person is making, you don't attack the person themselves, you don't make personal remarks, you don't ridicule them, you don't condemn them for their point of view.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
but, in a debate, you can point out the fallacy of one's perceptions by pointing out unjust bigotry.

Sure, you cant call someONE a bigot, but you can point out one's bigotry.

Ok, I'm a new poster and I'm saying that racial segregation is Biblical and that all this multculturalism is anti-God, because God wants us all to be separate.

How would you formulate a response to such a poster which included a reference to the posters views as 'bigotry' but could not be considered a personal attack against them?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No you can't call other members evil doing heathens, you can't call them bigots either. Just as MachZer0 has to restrict himself to referring to intercourse between members of the same sex as an abomination, so must you refrain from calling other members bigots. In a debate (this is a debate forum after all) you address the points another person is making, you don't attack the person themselves, you don't make personal remarks, you don't ridicule them, you don't condemn them for their point of view.
Let me remind you that I did not refer to intercourse between members of the same sex as an abomination. I pointed out that God refers to it that way

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
In a debate (this is a debate forum after all) you address the points another person is making, you don't attack the person themselves, you don't make personal remarks, you don't ridicule them, you don't condemn them for their point of view.
Now, this is a clearly worded rule, for a change. :thumbsup:
It renders a couple of other rules and guidelines redundant.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I'm a new poster and I'm saying that racial segregation is Biblical and that all this multculturalism is anti-God, because God wants us all to be separate.

How would you formulate a response to such a poster which included a reference to the posters views as 'bigotry' but could not be considered a personal attack against them?

I'd point out that anti-multiculturalism is a form of bigotry, and racial segregation is a form of bigotry.

If one feels 'attacked' by this, I'd assume they are either four, or ignorant of the most basic forms of human decency.

If one is ignorant to the most basic forms of human decency, well, thats a personal problem that only they can address or alleviate from personal introspection.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let me remind you that I did not refer to intercourse between members of the same sex as an abomination. I pointed out that God refers to it that way

Ergo, Christians are supposed to agree/believe with/in everything "God has said", and thus, if you agree with God, thus, you agree that homosexuality is an abomination, regardless if you have said it or not.

Correct?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
but, in a debate, you can point out the fallacy of one's perceptions by pointing out unjust bigotry.
You can point out contradictions or inconsistencies between things said. Bigotry describes a mindset.

Sure, you cant call someONE a bigot, but you can point out one's bigotry.
I don´t think so. Either way it is an ad hominem.
If you find contradictions or inconsistencies in a line of reasoning point it out. This would make a valid argument, and the term "bigot" adds nothing of nutritional value to it.
If you observe that a person doesn´t walk the way they talk - this is not a valid argument against his ideas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ergo, Christians are supposed to agree/believe with/in everything "God has said", and thus, if you agree with God, thus, you agree that homosexuality is an abomination, regardless if you have said it or not.

Correct?
I agree certainly, but in the specific case in question, it was the other party who brought God's perspective into the discussion. I merely pointed out that what God said was in direct contradiction to what the poster here said

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
While I'm not going to accuse anyone in particular of misusing Scripture, one has to admit that it exists. It was used to support slavery and the oppression of women. Even Satan quoted Scripture to tempt Jesus.

So Satan can show Scripture that tells Jesus that he can leap for a tall place and not be hurt in order to trick him, Scripture alone proves nothing, but the analysis of that Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The best I can tell, that violates no rule

I suppose it depends on context. If a person entered into a debate and posted repeatedly the same thing over and over again without addressing any questions people ask them, it's obvious they are not here to debate. They are here to disrupt the thread, which is against the rules.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah - what I have seen is someone will use a quote of Leviticus. Someone will give a Greek translation analysis, point out the restrictions that no one follows, or that pork and shellfish are considered abominations.

Then there is silence, and later on, the verses repeated.

It's not discussion at all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.