Did the early church worship on Sabbath?

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The late Messianic Jewish believer and scholar David H. Stern translated Matthew 23:3:

3. So whatever they tell you, take care to do it. But don’t do what they do, because they talk but don’t act!

I don’t see any difference between Messianic Jewish and Gentile Christian understanding of this passage.

That is still rendered from Greek. I would like to show you what is at play here in Hebrew. Even if you do not read Hebrew it is not difficult to see and I'll place the key word in red.

This is 1 Samuel 14:9 which begins with "If thus they say"

אִם־כֹּה יֹֽאמְרוּ אֵלֵינוּ דֹּמּוּ עַד־הַגִּיעֵנוּ אֲלֵיכֶם וְעָמַדְנוּ תַחְתֵּינוּ וְלֹא נַעֲלֶה אֲלֵיהֶֽם׃

Without the pointing, this is "they say" highlighted above in red: יאמרו
From Matthew 23:3, this is "he says" in the Shem Tov version: יאמר

The difference is a mere single letter at the end of the word, the waw/vav. Moreover if you follow the pronouns the Shem Tov makes even more sense because "he says" refers directly back to Mosheh who was just mentioned.

Follow the pronouns:

The Scribes and the Pharisees sit in the seat of Mosheh: therefore whatsoever he says to you, (Mosheh), that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Memebers of the Messanic Judaism forum here at CF (both Jew and non-Jewish) were informed a few years ago that they are to consider themselves "Christians" and as such must be in general agreement with The Nicene Creed and accept the word "trinity" as a triunion of: Father, Son, Holy Spirit being One GOD with three attributes.

Thus the thinking of some of todays' Messianic community having come around to seeing that 1st century "Jewish converts" were just as much (if not moreso) a "Christian" as were 1st century non-Jewish Gentile "Christians".

Therefore it should not be surprising that some members of CFs Messianic Judaism forum (Jew & non-Jewish) consider that 1st Century Jewish Believers in Yeshua HaMashiach as Israel's Messiah were actually just as Christian. Possibly being more "Christian" than 1st Century Gentile Christians who were held to a minimal/marginal standard as recorded in these following sacred infallible scriptures ...

Acts 15:8-11 (Peter speaking - NASB)​
8 And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; 9 and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”​
Acts 15:19-20 (James Speaking - NASB)​
19 Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from [j]things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.​
Acts 15:28-29 (apostles and brethren who are elders to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles) ...​
28 For it seemed good to the Ruach HaKodesh and to us not to lay any heavier burden on you than the following requirements: 29 to abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from fornication. If you keep yourselves from these, you will be doing the right thing. (CJB)​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Memebers of the Messanic Judaism forum here at CF (both Jew and non-Jewish) were informed a few years ago that they are to consider themselves "Christians" and as such must be in general agreement with The Nicene Creed and accept the word "trinity" as a triunion of: Father, Son, Holy Spirit being One GOD with three attributes.

Thus the thinking of some of todays' Messianic community having come around to seeing that 1st century "Jewish converts" were just as much (if not moreso) a "Christian" as were 1st century non-Jewish Gentile "Christians".

Therefore it should not be surprising that some members of CFs Messianic Judaism forum (Jew & non-Jewish) consider that 1st Century Jewish Believers in Yeshua HaMashiach as Israel's Messiah were actually just as Christian. Possibly being more "Christian" than 1st Century Gentile Christians who were held to a minimal/marginal standard as recorded in these following sacred infallible scriptures ...

Acts 15:8-11 (Peter speaking - NASB)​
8 And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; 9 and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”​
Acts 15:19-20 (James Speaking - NASB)​
19 Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from [j]things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.​
Acts 15:28-29 (apostles and brethren who are elders to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles) ...​
28 For it seemed good to the Ruach HaKodesh and to us not to lay any heavier burden on you than the following requirements: 29 to abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from fornication. If you keep yourselves from these, you will be doing the right thing. (CJB)​

So what is your point? that Messianics should not be preaching Shabbat observance to Gentiles? That appears to be the point by the scripture passages you quoted in connection with your commentary. Your point isn't entirely clear to me so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. However, on that assumption, the passage still says that Mosheh is read every Shabbat in the synagogue, which implies that the Gentiles at the time were attending synagogues and should hear Mosheh in that way and let the Spirit teach them by the hearing of the Torah rather than the Pharisaic "custom of Mosheh" which was almost entirely physical and outward in Torah interpretation. This is stated at the opening of the passage wherein we read "the custom of Mosheh", meaning the Pharisaic interpretation of circumcision, that is, outward and physical, antithetical to what the Torah actually teaches, (true circumcision is of the heart).

Acts 15:1 ASV
1 And certain men came down from Judæa and taught the brethren, saying, Except ye be circumcised after the custom of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

That highlighted phrase, after the custom of Mosheh, actually means the Pharisaic custom or teaching concerning circumcision according to their own physical and outward interpretations of Mosheh and the Torah. That's why Yakob says what he does in Acts 15:21, for the Gentiles may hear Mosheh being read in the synagogues in every Shabbat, and they may understand his words and the Torah through the parables, proverbs, sayings, idioms, and teachings of the Torah of the Meshiah which was being taught to them through the Apostles and the congregations started by them, (Paul and Barnabas in this case).

At first I did hesitate to answer your post even though it appears to be directed at me, (the only other person here being Messianic), and that was because it doesn't appear to be on topic at first glance: but after having read it a few times, I think I understand your point now and that would be on topic if indeed it concerns the Shabbat. But again, Acts 15:21 suggests otherwise if your point is that Gentiles need not observe the Shabbat. While it is true that the Word of the Father is not forced on anyone, still yet, one would think that those who indeed love the Father should ultimately be seeking to do His will and be pleasing to Him.

Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In fact, there is no NT commandment to keep the Sabbath so to accuse me of an argument from silence seems misplaced.
Not True ... 7th day is always to be a sacred 'rest' observance

Mark 2:23-28 (also Matthew 12:1-8 and Luke 6:1-5)​
27 And Jesus said to them, The Sabbath was made on account and for the sake of man, not man for the Sabbath;
28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

When Jesus said ... "not man for the Sabbath" ... He is referring to the institutional and denominational dogma and doctrinnes of religiousity (yet to come e.g. 3rd century). It was their way of distinquishing 1st day non-Jewish Gentile Christianity from 7th day Jewish Messianic Christianity (Galatians 3:28 ... therefore the 7th day is still in affect for all worshippers of the LORD GOD (Jewish and Gentile).

The 7th day of the week is still the True Sabbath ... even from the time of Christ Jesus' ascension to His second coming. The LORD never instructed Gentile Christians to observe a 1st day Sabbath e.g. beginning in the 3rd century; while Messianic Jews continued to observe the 7th day Sabbath as the LORD GOD first instructed ...

Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and consecrated it. (Exodus 20:8-11)​
Consecrated: Made or declared sacred; especially: devoted irrevocably to the worship of God by a solemn ceremony.​

There is no mention by Christ Jesus that the 7th day Sabbath was no longer necessary as a sacred observance or to some day to be replaced officially by a representative of Christ with the 1st day by a non-Jewish Gentile Pope(s) as a way of distniquishing nonJewish Gentile Christians from Messianic Jewish Christians.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what is your point? that Messianics should not be preaching Shabbat observance to Gentiles? That appears to be the point by the scripture passages you quoted in connection with your commentary. Your point isn't entirely clear to me so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. However, on that assumption, the passage still says that Mosheh is read every Shabbat in the synagogue, which implies that the Gentiles at the time were attending synagogues and should hear Mosheh in that way and let the Spirit teach them by the hearing of the Torah rather than the Pharisaic "custom of Mosheh" which was almost entirely physical and outward in Torah interpretation. This is stated at the opening of the passage wherein we read "the custom of Mosheh", meaning the Pharisaic interpretation of circumcision, that is, outward and physical, antithetical to what the Torah actually teaches, (true circumcision is of the heart).

Acts 15:1 ASV
1 And certain men came down from Judæa and taught the brethren, saying, Except ye be circumcised after the custom of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

That highlighted phrase, after the custom of Mosheh, actually means the Pharisaic custom or teaching concerning circumcision according to their own physical and outward interpretations of Mosheh and the Torah. That's why Yakob says what he does in Acts 15:21, for the Gentiles may hear Mosheh being read in the synagogues in every Shabbat, and they may understand his words and the Torah through the parables, proverbs, sayings, idioms, and teachings of the Torah of the Meshiah which was being taught to them through the Apostles and the congregations started by them, (Paul and Barnabas in this case).

At first I did hesitate to answer your post even though it appears to be directed at me, (the only other person here being Messianic), and that was because it doesn't appear to be on topic at first glance: but after having read it a few times, I think I understand your point now and that would be on topic if indeed it concerns the Shabbat. But again, Acts 15:21 suggests otherwise if your point is that Gentiles need not observe the Shabbat. While it is true that the Word of the Father is not forced on anyone, still yet, one would think that those who indeed love the Father should ultimately be seeking to do His will and be pleasing to Him.
All of mankind are giving the Sabbath, that's who it was made for...

• Agree
Reactions: daq
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is still rendered from Greek. I would like to show you what is at play here in Hebrew. Even if you do not read Hebrew it is not difficult to see and I'll place the key word in red.

This is 1 Samuel 14:9 which begins with "If thus they say"

אִם־כֹּה יֹֽאמְרוּ אֵלֵינוּ דֹּמּוּ עַד־הַגִּיעֵנוּ אֲלֵיכֶם וְעָמַדְנוּ תַחְתֵּינוּ וְלֹא נַעֲלֶה אֲלֵיהֶֽם׃

Without the pointing, this is "they say" highlighted above in red: יאמרו
From Matthew 23:3, this is "he says" in the Shem Tov version: יאמר

The difference is a mere single letter at the end of the word, the waw/vav. Moreover if you follow the pronouns the Shem Tov makes even more sense because "he says" refers directly back to Mosheh who was just mentioned.

Follow the pronouns:

The Scribes and the Pharisees sit in the seat of Mosheh: therefore whatsoever he says to you, (Mosheh), that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
The problem is that they say what is right, but they do not do it, similar to this text..
Matthew 5:27-28
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
27 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The problem is that they say what is right, but they do not do it, similar to this text..
Matthew 5:27-28
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
27 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

That is easy enough, right?

Simply do as the Master says in your understanding of the passage: whatsoever they tell you to observe and do, observe and do. And remember that they are not gone, but are still around to this day, so I guess it is time for you to get a Rabbi, brush up on the Talmud, and start doing what they say, if you wish to do as the Master says: for the heavens and the earth shall pass away but his words shall not pass away.

Easy enough, right? :D

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Simply do as the Master says in your understanding of the passage: whatsoever they tell you to observe and do, observe and do. And remember that they are not gone, but are still around to this day, so I guess it is time for you to get a Rabbi, brush up on the Talmud, and start doing what they say, if you wish to do as the Master says: for the heavens and the earth shall pass away but his words shall not pass away.

For example:

I think Christ made it quite clear...
John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Great! Now therefore:

Matthew 23:1-3 KJV
1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They would quote the Ten Commandments to the people, but then they themselves would find ways that 'technically' allowed them to do the sin they wanted, such as plan the death of Christ, and thus cover themselves.
John 11:49-51
49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They would quote the Ten Commandments to the people, but then they themselves would find ways that 'technically' allowed them to do the sin they wanted, such as plan the death of Christ, and thus cover themselves.
John 11:49-51
49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

Why are you ignoring the commandment of the Master in Matthew 23:1-3? Why are you posting other verses and passages that say things like, "If you love me, keep my commandments", and then acting like you cannot see the plain straightforward commandment written in Matthew 23:1-3 in the KJV which I quoted?

Do you not understand my point yet? Why have you diverted away from what I originally posted concerning this passage? If you do not agree with what I offered, that is fine with me, but that means the only thing you have left is the commandment as it is written in all of the most important Greek manuscripts. Are you even willing to admit that this is true?

You have a commandment to uphold, perform, and observe according to your chosen reading(s) of Matthew 23:1-3. My commandment is not the same as yours because Elohim has preserved this portion of His Word in another document which you and those who chose your so-called canon do not accept. That leaves you with the form of the commandment now found in all Greek textual families no matter which you choose to read from. If you prefer the Textus Receptus, as in the KJV, there you have it already quoted in my previous post.

Do you or do you not see what is written in Matthew 23:1-3 KJV as a commandment which applies to yourself?

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are you ignoring the commandment of the Master in Matthew 23:1-3? Why are you posting other verses and passages that say things like, "If you love me, keep my commandments", and then acting like you cannot see the plain straightforward commandment written in Matthew 23:1-3 in the KJV which I quoted?

Do you not understand my point yet? Why have you diverted away from what I originally posted concerning this passage? If you do not agree with what I offered, that is fine with me, but that means the only thing you have left is the commandment as it is written in all of the most important Greek manuscripts. Are you even willing to admit that this is true?

You have a commandment to uphold, perform, and observe according to your chosen reading(s) of Matthew 23:1-3. My commandment is not the same as yours because Elohim has preserved this portion of His Word in another document which you and those who chose your so-called canon do not accept. That leaves you with the form of the commandment now found in all Greek textual families no matter which you choose to read from. If you prefer the Textus Receptus, as in the KJV, there you have it already quoted in my previous post.

Do you or do you not see what is written in Matthew 23:1-3 KJV as a commandment which applies to yourself?
The Ten Commandments are the only thing that the Creator of Heaven and Earth, and the Sabbath, personally spoke and then personally etched His Law into stone tablets with His own finger, here stands the commandments of God given on the two tablets as everlasting.
Exodus 31:18
And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Ten Commandments are the only thing that the Creator of Heaven and Earth, and the Sabbath, personally spoke and then personally etched His Law into stone tablets with His own finger, here stands the commandments of God given on the two tablets as everlasting.
Exodus 31:18
And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Just like the other poster who originally posted the Matthew passage, you yourself do not have any authority to interpret the scripture because, by your chosen translation of the Matthew passage, the Master delegates that authority to the Pharisees and their Scribes. And just as the other poster did not understand, and tried to use that passage to support the authority of his church to interpret the scripture, and destroyed his entire argument: you also have no argument because you are commanded to abide by the interpretations of the Pharisees and their Scribes when it comes to understanding the Torah.

Are you doing as the Master says according to your chosen translation of the text in Matthew 23:1-3? You are commanded the same even according to Shabbat observance, and the Testimony of the Master is never going to pass away, and the Pharisees and their Scribes are still around to this day. Are you observing Shabbat according to what the Pharisees and their Scribes say? That is what your chosen translation says you are to do in Matthew 23:1-3.

That's the only choice you have if you truly wish to keep the commandments of the Master and you are not willing to admit that your chosen translation is in error, serious error.

Upvote 0

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟110,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not only did the Jews come for Sabbath but the Gentiles, and in Acts we see almost the whole city wanted to be there on the Sabbath.

Acts 13:42-44
King James Version (KJV)
42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Now we see the Gentiles keep the Sabbath in Antioch as we see Paul when he came there, meeting with them in the synagogue on the Sabbath day.

Acts 13:14
But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

We see much the same in the early church in Thessalonica when Paul as was his manner, entered on three Sabbath days and reasoned with them out of the scriptures.

Acts 17:2
And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

And we see more of the same in the early church in Corinth were Paul went every Sabbath and we clearly see it says "persuaded the Jews and the Greeks."

Acts 18:4
And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

And we see it was the same thing that Christ had done when He was in His ministry before Paul.

Mark 6:2
And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?

Luke 4:16
And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luke 4:31
And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.

As had Christ, the Paul worshiped in the early church on the seventh-day Sabbath. We clearly see that in his travels Paul attended the synagogue on the Sabbath with Gentiles and Jews, and preached Christ. Even in places where there was no synagogue, he searched for where the early church met for Sabbath worship.

We find much in history that shows the early church observing the seventh day Sabbath which nearly all Protestant, Orthodox, or Roman Catholic theologians agree was true, and showed that the Sabbath was clearly spread throughout the world in the early church.

Josephus
"There is not any city of the Grecians, nor any of the Barbarians, nor any nation whatsoever, whither our custom of resting on the seventh day hath not come!" M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries on China and Japan" (edited by Dennys), Vol 4, Nos 7, 8, p.100.

Philo
Declares the seventh day to be a festival, not of this or of that city, but of the universe. M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries," Vol. 4, 99

Early Christians
"The primitive Christians had a great veneration for the Sabbath, and spent the day in devotion and sermons. And it is not to be doubted but they derived this practice from the Apostles themselves, as appears by several scriptures to the purpose." "Dialogues on the Lord's Day," p. 189. London: 1701, By Dr. T.H. Morer (A Church of England divine).

Early Christians
"...The Sabbath was a strong tie which united them with the life of the whole people, and in keeping the Sabbath holy they followed not only the example but also the command of Jesus." "Geschichte des Sonntags," pp.13, 14

2nd Century Christians
"The Gentile Christians observed also the Sabbath," Gieseler's "Church History," Vol.1, ch. 2, par. 30, 93.

Early Christians
"The primitive Christians did keep the Sabbath of the Jews;...therefore the Christians, for a long time together, did keep their conventions upon the Sabbath, in which some portions of the law were read: and this continued till the time of the Laodicean council." "The Whole Works" of Jeremy Taylor, Vol. IX,p. 416 (R. Heber's Edition, Vol XII, p. 416).

You can find even more in this study..
at https://www.sabbath.org/index.cfm/l...ath-first-day-during-first-five-centuries.htm
Letters which were written in the first century and the second century do inform us how the early Christians actually worshiped in those time periods:

The Letter of Barnabas

Since, therefore, the days are evil, and Satan possesses the power of this world, we ought to give heed to ourselves, and diligently inquire into the ordinances of the Lord. Fear and patience, then, are helpers of our faith; and long-suffering and continence are things which fight on our side. While these remain pure in what respects the Lord, Wisdom, Understanding, Science, and Knowledge rejoice along with them. For He hath revealed to us by all the prophets that He needs neither sacrifices, nor burnt-offerings, nor oblations, saying thus, “What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure.” He has therefore abolished these things, that the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is without the yoke of necessity, might have a human oblation (The Epistle of Barnabas 1 Chapter II.—The Jewish sacrifices are now abolished.)

"Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens." (The Epistle of Barnabas Chapter XV.—The false and the true Sabbath. [A.D. 74]).

FROM: Justin Martyr (First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians.
[A.D. 155]). Philip Schaff: ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

"And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He (Jesus Christ) taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration."

I will continue to worship God on Sunday, the first day of the week, because this is what Jesus commanded the early Christians to do.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Letters which were written in the first century and the second century do inform us how the early Christians actually worshiped in those time periods:

The Letter of Barnabas

Since, therefore, the days are evil, and Satan possesses the power of this world, we ought to give heed to ourselves, and diligently inquire into the ordinances of the Lord. Fear and patience, then, are helpers of our faith; and long-suffering and continence are things which fight on our side. While these remain pure in what respects the Lord, Wisdom, Understanding, Science, and Knowledge rejoice along with them. For He hath revealed to us by all the prophets that He needs neither sacrifices, nor burnt-offerings, nor oblations, saying thus, “What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure.” He has therefore abolished these things, that the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is without the yoke of necessity, might have a human oblation (The Epistle of Barnabas 1 Chapter II.—The Jewish sacrifices are now abolished.)

"Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens." (The Epistle of Barnabas Chapter XV.—The false and the true Sabbath. [A.D. 74]).

FROM: Justin Martyr (First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians.
[A.D. 155]). Philip Schaff: ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

"And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He (Jesus Christ) taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration."

I will continue to worship God on Sunday, the first day of the week, because this is what Jesus commanded the early Christians to do.
Yet, not one Text that shows this command from Jesus, nor any Text that shows where we are no longer required to keep the Sabbath commandment. The only way to make this case is to go outside of God's Word- something we are warned not to do Isa 8:20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yet, not one Text that shows this command from Jesus, nor any Text that shows where we are no longer required to keep the Sabbath commandment. The only way to make this case is to go outside of God's Word- something we are warned not to do Isa 8:20
John 21:25
But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

Scripture is just a part of God's Word. Sunday worship was established by the Apostles. They did not need to write down everything they had taught face to face, in fact they wrote very little.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

Scripture is just a part of God's Word. Sunday worship was established by the Apostles. They did not need to write down everything they had taught face to face, in fact they wrote very little.
My bible says the disciples kept every Sabbath preaching God’s Word to Jews and Gentiles Acts 13:42-44 Acts 18:4 In fact the Gentiles asked for more gospel preaching the next Sabbath instead of day one. Acts 13:42. Nothing about keeping Sunday as a new holy day. They did warn us after their death what would happen to the flock Acts 20:29 so no argument can be made that Jesus or the apostles made a new holy day. The apostles followed what Jesus commanded, which is why they faithfully kept every Sabbath and all of God’s commandments and tells us to, as it is what matters 1 Cor 7:19

John 21:25 says nothing about Sunday being God’s new holy day. That text doesn’t exist in scripture and can only be made outside of scripture. God’s Word is our safeguard and the only way we know we are following God. The devil is trying to deceive us and succeeds in deceiving the whole world, which means the majority. We can only trust God’s Word and it is the light to our path Psa 119:105 outside we are warned- danger Isa 8:20. The remnant keep the commandments of God Rev 12:17, the Sabbath is a commandment of God and no where in scripture has that been abrogated. My faith is in His Word and the faith of Jesus who kept all of the commandments including the Sabbath John 15:10 Luke 4:16 and He is our example to follow. 1 John 2:6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

So your argument is that unwritten scripture conflicts with inspired scripture. Sorry, I can't accept such a claim.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well Sunday worship has an origin, but it may not be one you like..

"Sun worship characterized many of the early religions. In the Old World it was important in ancient cultures, such as those of Babylon, Egypt, Persia, North India, Greece, Rome....
Connected with sun worship, the observance of the first day of the week, the sun-day, played an important role in the pagan world. The North British Review called Sunday "The wild solar holiday of all times," and Constantine, in his famous Sunday edict, styled it "the venerable day of the sun."

Babylonians
Bel, the sun-god, whose proper name was Marduk, was the patrol god of the Babylonians. To him they dedicated the first day of the week. Their calendar was adjusted in such a way that the first day of every month was also the first day of the week.

"It is clear that the first day of every month was originally a day of rest and fasting."--Langdon, Babylonian Menlogies and Semitic Calendars, p. 86.

Egyptians
In ancient Egypt the sun-cult originated at Heliopolis. The early sun-god of the ancient Egyptians was Re, and later Osiris, who came to be also the god of the dead and of the resurrection.

"Sunday (day of the sun) as the name of the first day of the week is derived from Egyptian astrology." --Catholic Encyclopedia, Art. Sunday.

Medo-Persian
"Each day in the week, the planet to which the day was sacred was invoked in a fixed spot in the crypt; and Sunday, over which the sun presided, was especially holy." --Cumont, The Mysteries of Mithra, p. 167.

Indians
Among the Hindus, every Sunday was a holy day. One author writes:

"The different days enjoy degrees of veneration according to certain qualities which [the Hindus] attribute to [the days of the week]. They distinguish, for example, the Sunday, because it is the day of the sun and the beginning of the week." --Albiruni's India, II, p. 185.

Koreans
"Buddha is reported to have been of solar descent, as were the Incas of Peru and are the present royal house of Japan (whose ancestress is stated to have been the sun-goddess Amaterasu)." --E. Royston Pike, Encyclopecia of Religion, Art. Sun Worship.

Germans
"The most ancient Germans being pagans, and having appropriated their first day of the week to the peculiar adoration to the sun, whereof, that day doth yet in our English tongue retain the name of Sunday." --Verstegan, Antiquities, p. 10.

Greeks
"At Sparta on the first day of every month the king made a sacrificial offering to Apollon [or Appollo], the sun-god, and the same practice was carried on at Athens." --Cook, Zeus, II, p. 237.

Romans
"The first day of the week was the Mithraic Sunday before it was the Christian, and December 25 was Mithra's birthday." --E. Royston Pike, Encyclopedia of Religion, Art. Mithraism.

Mithraism and Christianism
The popular worship of Mithra [the "Invincible Sun-god"] became so pre-eminent in the Roman Empire in the days of Constantine, that he decreed "The Venerable Day of the Sun" to be the weekly rest day of the Empire.

One authority points out the influence of Mithraism on Christianity, saying:

"It [Mithraism] had so much acceptance that it was able to impose on the Christian world its own Sun-day in place of the Sabbath, its Sun's birthday, 25th December, as the birthday of Jesus." --G. Murray, Christianity in the Light of Modern Knowledge, pp. 73, 74......

History shows the origin...

Upvote 0