Did Adam and Eve have sex before the fall?

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Something tells me no, because I think God created the uterus after the fall when He said that the woman will toil to bring forth child. I don't think that toil was in the original plan. What do you think?

Okay, there's an interpretation that I can say I've never heard before. Where'd you get it from?

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something tells me no, because I think God created the uterus after the fall when He said that the woman will toil to bring forth child. I don't think that toil was in the original plan. What do you think?
There is not enough information to know for sure, but we do know that before the Fall God said, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and every creature that crawls upon the earth (Genesis 1:28).” This tells me that Eve was made with all the working parts required to bear children. But, she did not have children until after the Fall.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Silly. God created animals and told them to multiply before the fall. I don’t see why can’t Adam and Eve mates before taking a bite of fruit. It doesn’t matter. If the Bible doesn’t say, we shouldn’t speculate and built doctrine upon it. Let this silly question go.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think that Adam and Eve were created to live in heaven and in Eden with God. When they sinned they got earthly bodies capable of reproduction. No, I do not think that they could reproduce until they sinned and learned of good and evil.

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some time ago, I began to wonder about the portion of God's curse directed at Eve:

To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

(Genesis 3:16)

and the verses regarding the Tree of Knowledge also came to mind:

“You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

(Genesis 3:4-5)

These verses rattled around in my head until I came across some findings from anthropologists about how early humans had a small cranium size, but later humans went through a period of rapid increase in cranium size, and this increase made childbirth much more difficult. Some of the increase in size was attributed to the development and expansion of the frontal lobes, which involve high-level thought such as ethical decisions and risk assessment...

"your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

So, I believe this part of the curse corresponded to humans developing their large head size as a result of the Fall, and gaining a heightened awareness of good and evil.

If these were just my ideas, they wouldn't be worth much. However, several well-informed people have also explored this possibility, and some of them also include details of other physical changes necessary for humans to accommidate their increasing brain size:

The Migrant Mind: Both Adam and Eve's curses Are Curses for Bigger Brains

Just a thought...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Adam and Eve were both virgins until after the fall. Before the exile they were innocent and didn't even realize their nudity ( Genesis 3:7) This is actually christian theology 101.
Not realizing nudity doesn't imply virginity.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2021
North America
✟9,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Bible says in the beginning he created them male and female. they were man and women they had sexual organs from the beginning all animals also had the male and female organs

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Doubtful, IMO, since they didn’t even recognize they were naked, until after eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying they had kids before the fall?

If they had children before they fell, it would have been mentioned when they fell - because scripture shows only Adam and Eve fell, if they had had any children, that would have meant people lived who didn’t fall into sin, thus wouldn’t need a savior.

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The toil wasn't in the original plan - that was part of the curse.
How do you conclude that this means the Lord created her without a uterus?

I don't see how God would create a woman, tell her and Adam to go forth and multiply, wait until the woman sinned and then say to himself "right, I'd better give her a uterus now so that she can go forth and multiply".

• Agree
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They wouldn't make babies, they would rely on God to create humans as he did Adam and Eve.

So why would God have given them the command to go forth and multiply if he was going to make all the humans himself?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that Adam and Eve were created to live in heaven and in Eden with God. When they sinned they got earthly bodies capable of reproduction.

They only got earthly bodies when they sinned??

Scripture says otherwise - that God created men and women, in his image, on the 6th day, Genesis 1:26-27. Genesis 2 says that Adam was created from the dust of the ground and God breathed life into him, Genesis 2:7. It says that God put Adam into a deep sleep, took one of his ribs and created Eve, Genesis 2:21.
Adam and Eve were not spirits, floating around in heaven; they were in a garden with real trees, plants and animals. They took the fruit with real hands, put it into their real, earthly, mouths and their real tongues told them that it tasted good.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Um. You don’t need a uterus to have sexual relations.
Women can still have sexual relations after a hysterectomy.

So even if God created the uterus after The Fall, even if they did or didn’t have children before The Fall, even if they were or weren't virgins before The Fall: this is just bad women’s anatomy. Which is dangerous to women’s health.

It would be better to ask if they both or just one had no sexual organs at all except urethras (which are not sexual organs just within the general area of reproductive organs). Or no knowledge of sexual relations.

But please fully understand women’s anatomy before making assumptions and generalizations.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hello a friend of,

I do not think so. Adam could have asked God about that, beforehand of eating the fruit though haha. He did make man and woman to procreate. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0