Did Adam and Eve have sex before the fall?

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
I don’t see how they couldn’t have ‘known’ they were naked during intercourse when they're the only animals that have sex face to face.

A&E did not know what clothing was or anything about a mental/emotional need for garments to "hide" their bodies. That is the sense in which they were naked -- not that they could not see each other's body ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Something tells me no, because I think God created the uterus after the fall when He said that the woman will toil to bring forth child. I don't think that toil was in the original plan. What do you think?
no man , literally God created Eve for Adam to have sex with day1 all they had to do in paradise was eat if they wanted and have sex nothing else.
Genesis 1:28 is blessing for copulation while Genesis 3 is the sin

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Strangest question I've ever heard any body ask. It does make us consider though if sin and it's nature passed on down through the blood line if A + E had children before sin it would make one consider they wouldn't be sinners by nature. That being the case it makes me consider the fall of MAN occurred pretty much immediately after Dominion was given to them as a couple.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Strangest question I've ever heard any body ask. It does make us consider though if sin and it's nature passed on down through the blood line if A + E had children before sin it would make one consider they wouldn't be sinners by nature. That being the case it makes me consider the fall of MAN occurred pretty much immediately after Dominion was given to them as a couple.
God opens and closes womb of women as its stated in Bible since she didn't have kid untill after fall .
And ye they would , Bible states that in Adam we sinned all , thats why virgin birth for Jesus so he is not corrupted himself. He could have the body as vessel but he could not be sinfull Adam's son to redeem Adam ( speaking of Messiah).

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How long were Adam and Eve in the garden before they sinned? Probably about 15 minutes.
How long was Adam in the garden without Eve? These questions are beyond the scope of the accounts and are not only never meant to be answered but also never meant to be asked.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Gen 1:28
"God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth..."

it would seem, humans, both male and female, are designed for procreation regardless of a fallen state.

Okay but then how would childbearing not have been painful before the fall?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
one male and one female cannot be fruitful and multiply if they are unable to reproduce

Okay. Then they didn't follow that command since they didn't procreate. Wouldn't that be rendered as disobedience to God?

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something tells me no, because I think God created the uterus after the fall when He said that the woman will toil to bring forth child. I don't think that toil was in the original plan. What do you think?
Yes. Genesis 2:24. All that can be implied from Genesis 3:16 is that childbearing was previously painless and without toil. Anything else beyond that is pure assumption.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm voting yes. I use to assume no. But I heard there are some Church Fathers who assume they did. And if you really look at the various circumstances of Genesis it is easy to see why.

1) God had already Given the commandment to be "Fruitful and Multiply" to Creation.

2) God had created everything good

3) Eve was created to be his companion, helper etc.

4) We don't know how much time elapsed during the creation account. People often assume a short time, but there is no exact chronology of everything. This whole story could have unfolded over years...

It is hard to relate to it, since we come from the Sin fallen world. But in our world, it would be normal for Satan to come in and wait after things had settled down and people dropped their guard etc. And it is possible such a thing would still happen because of the passage about the snake being "more subtle" basically more stealthy. Of course reading and watching other materials from Michael Heiser and others there is a distinct possibility of the snake being more like Seraphim angel, because that term was lifted from the Egyptian iconography for their Cobra Throne room guardians that guarded the god and the Pharoahs who were demi gods.

5) The text says "they were naked and not ashamed". An important point, because many people read the text from the stand point of how things are after the fall, where we associate virginity with purity, but that would not be the case here because of points 1 and 2 above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To be blunt, we don't know. Here are a few thoughts for your consideration. We can figure that sex happened eventually because it is recorded along with the resultant birth of children. The account might not be strictly chronological in order to still be accurate there. As for that first stretch of time, you are free to decide for yourself. If God put two healthy human people, one male and female, with a male who recognized that this was indeed a fitting helper who was "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh," alone in a garden where clothes weren't apparently needed, you can come to various conclusions. Some people through the years equate sex with sin. Some types of sexual behavior are defined as sin in Scriptures and for good reason, but those kinds of sinful behaviors weren't presented as an option between that one man and his one wife in the Genesis account.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There was no pain, or sickness or death, before the fall.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody is entirely sure. But it was probably for quite a while

Adam was there (most likely) for quite awhile because he had to name all the animals but that doesn't mean Eve was there for a long time as she came later on.

• Agree
Reactions: mreeed
Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God said He would increase the pain not cause it to become painful. The ability to feel pain is a safety device.

Gen.3:16 To the woman he said, “I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing;
in pain you shall bring forth children,

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay so pushing out a whole baby through the vagina wouldn't hurt then?

Presumably not - if she had any children before the fall.
Otherwise why would God have said that, as a punishment, she would experience pain in childbirth? If she had already had children, and it was already painful, there would have been no point to that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Presumably not - if she had any children before the fall.
Otherwise why would God have said that, as a punishment, she would experience pain in childbirth? If she had already had children, and it was already painful, there would have been no point to that.

Okay. I think it's safe to conclude they did not have children before the fall. The command to multiply was unheeded.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God said He would increase the pain not cause it to become painful. The ability to feel pain is a safety device.

Okay, but of anything in the garden 2as actually painful, that flies in the face of it being a paradise with no pain.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay. I think it's safe to conclude they did not have children before the fall. The command to multiply was unheeded.

It may not have gone unheeded but rather, as life spans were far greater than they are today, she may not have been fertile as often. If you look at the animal kingdom, you will see many different fertility cycles. It's quite possible, as our physiology degraded due to the sin nature, our reproduction cycles shortened. We see a similar thing in plants. If you withhold nutrients at the later stages of growth, they will rush to seed in order to reproduce.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, but of anything in the garden 2as actually painful, that flies in the face of it being a paradise with no pain.

Where does it say there was no pain? There is an abnormal condition some people suffer whereby they literally do not feel pain. It is highly detrimental to their well being for they can have minor bone breaks and never know. Or cuts that get infected and they would be completely unaware until it became visibly obvious. A pain free environment may well be the norm when we have a spiritual body, but for a body of flesh it is not a good thing.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where does it say there was no pain? There is an abnormal condition some people suffer whereby they literally do not feel pain. It is highly detrimental to their well being for they can have minor bone breaks and never know. Or cuts that get infected and they would be completely unaware until it became visibly obvious. A pain free environment may well be the norm when we have a spiritual body, but for a body of flesh it is not a good thing.

If there was any pain there would be suffering. I don't think suffering in any form was present with the garden. God created it to be a perfect place.

Upvote 0