Did Adam and Eve have sex before the fall?

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
Eve with no uterus or Adam shooting blanks? Which is more likely or are both stories duds and how does it matter thousands of years later?

The better question is: did Adam and Eve hang out together? The Genesis account seems to indicate that they were more or less a constant pair -- or did Satan time his arrival so they would be in concert? How big was the Garden of Eden?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Something tells me no, because I think God created the uterus after the fall when He said that the woman will toil to bring forth child. I don't think that toil was in the original plan. What do you think?
Gen 1:28
"God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth..."

it would seem, humans, both male and female, are designed for procreation regardless of a fallen state.

• Useful
Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something tells me no, because I think God created the uterus after the fall when He said that the woman will toil to bring forth child. I don't think that toil was in the original plan. What do you think?
I don't think so. The opening of their eyes was like puberty to them. I don't think God changed Eve.
She would have had children in pain. Before there was no sex hence no children. If they had children in the garden they would not have been held accountable for the sin of their parents and driven from the garden into a state where they would die.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Adam and Eve were both virgins until after the fall. Before the exile they were innocent and didn't even realize their nudity ( Genesis 3:7) This is actually christian theology 101.
AND how does theology 101 explain this command Genesis 1:28 New King James Version (NKJV). 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply;

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
AND how does theology 101 explain this command Genesis 1:28 New King James Version (NKJV). 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply;
That's a summary of what took place after the fall. Before the fall Adam and Eve lived in bliss within the borders of Paradise not to exceed passed it.. After the exile they had to toil the ground and subdue the wild (Genesis 3:23) being sent forth into the world and procreate (Genesis 4:1).
It's also why Eve was named mother of living after the fall when death entered and procreation became the norm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gen 1:28
"God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth..."

it would seem, humans, both male and female, are designed for procreation regardless of a fallen state.
if not there would be a sustainability problem. two humans that live forever I suppose could work but seems to counter the creation banner of "be fruitful and mulitply". one male and one female cannot be fruitful and multiply if they are unable to reproduce. The whole system would seem arbitrary and I would suggest even cruel and be a curse in itself of giving a task you cannot accomplish, like Sisyphus pushing a rock up a hill only to have it roll back down. I think this sort of rationale that there was no sex pre-fall forces us to look at sex through a fallen world vacuum and imperfect world like sex itself is imperfect and even sinful which I think is a mistake. Adam is said to have noticed that each creature had it's mate which made him desire his own mate, and I think a very easy way to identify what a mate is, is through sex. I don't think Adam saw a cow and a bull giving each other emotional support but rather he saw a cow and a bull having sex and through that determined each animal has a mate and also recognized he does not have a mate.

I think however this type of thinking exposes holes in the creation/fallen account and it introduces a lot of unanswered questions like if Adam and Eve had sex before the fall why didn't they have children? if we look at sex in a procreation vacuum you would think both Adam and Eve would be very fertile and the act of sex itself would be very effcient so why didn't they conceive before the fall? One reason is because it complicates the fall and if all don't eat the fruit then does this mean there is some sort of unfallen race among us? But if they did have sex pre-fall but did not conceive then does this mean they had sex for pleasure and that's it? then that introduces a bunch of other questions.

All these questions are the wrong ones and miss the point because the creation account and the fall account have different goals and when we try and use these accounts to answer questions they are never intended for then we are going to miss the point and come to wild conclusions to rationalize the text (just look at the young-earth model). Did Adam and Eve have sex pre-fall? I don't know but I would say probably yes and at the moment they laid eyes on each other, but it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a summary of what took place after the fall. Before the fall Adam and Eve lived in bliss within the borders of Paradise not to exceed passed it.. After the exile they had to toil the ground and subdue the wild (Genesis 3:23) being sent forth into the world and procreate (Genesis 4:1).
It's also why Eve was named mother of living after the fall when death entered and procreation became the norm.
I would be willing to bet that Genesis chapter 1 comes before Genesis chapter 3 in the time line of Genesis. I would also suggest that God did not bless Adam and Eve right after the fall.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.” Genesis 3:20 (KJV 1900)

There could have been many people born before the Fall happened. But all were damned and became fallen along with Adam when he sinned. Paul alludes to this in Romans five when he teaches on imputation.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would be willing to bet that Genesis chapter 1 comes before Genesis chapter 3 in the time line of Genesis. I would also suggest that God did not bless Adam and Eve right after the fall.
All these events occur before the 7th day. Whether Gen 1:28 or 3.23, it's the 6th day. Genesis 1 says to subdue and multiply all over the earth yet Eve was not even created till chapter 2 and even then they were to remain within the confines of paradise. .
Genesis 4:1 begins the story of humanity in exile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God said childbirth will now bring pain, suggesting that before that decree it did not, which suggests childbirth was possible beforehand, only lacking in pain.
Except they did not reproduce during the entire time they were there in the garden. Soooo...
How long were they there for ?
Since they were told to multiply before the Fall
but Eve did not conceive (her first child) until after,
that suggests that the Fall occurred before her first ovulation...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since they were told to multiply before the Fall
but Eve did not conceive (her first child) until after,
that suggests that the Fall occurred before her first ovulation...
“And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.” Genesis 3:20 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When they sinned they got earthly bodies capable of reproduction. No, I do not think that they could reproduce until they sinned and learned of good and evil.
How would they obey God's edict to multiply, if that were true?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Is that not still true with Cain being her first child?
Correct, precisely why she is named very late towards the end of chapter 3. Adam named her "life" after they found out they would now die; because life would be passed on through procreation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Adam and Eve were punished because of fornication( sex outside marriage). The forbidden fruit story is about sexual intercourse.
Genesis 3:3 says "But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die."
Our private parts are in the middle.

Genesis 3:7 says "And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
Which means they realised that they had different body parts(male and female parts) and covered their private parts with leaves.
So, the snake taught them how to use their private parts
Adam and Eve got married after they were kicked out of the garden before they had children
May God Bless You

Upvote 0

Word Only

Apr 10, 2021
menomonie
✟7,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bible (infallible Word of God) questions have Bible answers. Without establishing the Bible is our moral absolute we are on shifting sand by fallen men.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0