Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised in an independent Baptist chuch, my father and I attended because my mother was not religious. I felt from an early age that that style of Christianity wasn't for me. I tried to learn about Catholicism in my church but all I knew was from Jack Chick and other anti-catholic sources. I would occationally watch EWTN and I learned more from them. I also had many Catholic friends and I learned even more. Then in high school I really felt the very conservative Baptist church wasn't for me and I went to a local Catholic high school. I went because my mother wanted me to go and it was a very good college prep-school. There I really learned about the Church and felt that God was calling me to it. Then my freshmen year in college I started RCIA and I became a member of the One, True Church! I was very happy and the moment the priest blessed me with the chrism oil I felt the presence of God like I had never before. I did have a big problem, mainly my father found out and he was not pleased. He still thinks Catholics worship Mary and other lies put out by jack chick and other anti-catholics. He had me go to my old minister and he gave me a big lecture and gave me one of those "trail of blood" tracts, which is just a bunch of bunk. Anyway, he still prays that I "come back to the truth", though we have maintained a so-so relationship. Becoming Catholic hasn't been easy, and it still isn't easy living my faith, but Christianity isn't for wimps, right? I would also like to say thanks to everyone on this board for their inspirational stories, its nice to know I'm not alone in my struggles.

Reactions: Dream
Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Asimis,
Wow! i read through your journey to the Catholic church. You have been through alot of seeking and searching in your short life. I am very happy to see the end result. God bless you as you continue your RCIA class and complete your initiation into the one true, holy, catholic and apostolic church. Your story really made me stronger in my own Catholic faith. Thanks for sharing.
karen

Upvote 0

wallyg

Aug 2, 2004
Arizona
✟7,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been wanting to join the Catholic Church. I was raised in non-denominational Christian churches and eventually joined a Southern Baptist church. It wasn't until I started studying Church history that I realized the Catholic Church is the original Church. I beleive the process for Baptised Christians is RICA, right?

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
wallyg said:
I've been wanting to join the Catholic Church. I was raised in non-denominational Christian churches and eventually joined a Southern Baptist church. It wasn't until I started studying Church history that I realized the Catholic Church is the original Church. I beleive the process for Baptised Christians is RICA, right?

RCIA is the process through which anyone wishing to join the Church may do so. :)

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wanted to thank those who have posted their stories in this thread. I've been Saved since 1997, but I'm still trying to understand exactly where my heart is. For awhile I've been calling myself a Born Again Christian, but now I feel my heart turning. These modern Protestant churches don't seem to do anything for my heart... I'm afraid I see them mostly to be in the "business" of getting money and I don't feel the Holy Spirit openly flowing in my heart at these services.

My parents never really raised me to be religious, although my mom was kind enough to teach me about the Bible and about God, so she was able to instill a love for God in my heart. But as a baby I was baptized as Russian Orthodox, although I have no heart for that kind of church either because of the priests around my area. So I'm starting to become attracted to the traditional and one-ness that the Catholic Church has. My boyfriend, a very devout Catholic, has also been helping me and right now I'm studying the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Anyways, I wanted to thank you for your stories. I'm not sure where my life is leading me just yet, but if anybody has advice for me...something to inspire or to lead me into a direction to where I could learn more, please send a pm to me. Thank you and God bless.

Your Sister in Christ, Tanya

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vrunca

STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS
May 1, 2004
North East Lower Michigan! Go Wings!!
✟4,908.00
Faith
Catholic
Michelina said:
I just wanted to say that you converts have NO idea how much we cradle Catholics need you and appreciate you. You are a tremendous witness to us. You know the Faith better than most of us. You live what you know in an inspiring way. Everytime I meet a convert, I thank God for the 'new blood' that we need in our Church. (It's like getting a blood transfusion.)

Personally, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. May God continue to bless you and yours in every way.

Amen!!! I was just about to say the same thing when I came across your response! I was Baptised in the Catholic church when I was 6 days old, the same day I came out of the hospital. (way back then, the women stayed in the hospital for more than a day, even with a healthy baby!). I went to Catholic school (and a very good, Orthodox one) since Pre-school and graduated from there also. I never even strayed from the church for a while. While I was in college I taught Catechism and was involved in many other Ministries. I am now the Director of Religious Education and Youth Minister at our Parish. Yet, I still take as many classes as I can, to of course continue my own Religious Education as it should be continual. But, also I have to learn more, to keep up with all of my friends who are converts!! I love it!! If I have a question about something to do with my faith, much of the time I will call one of my convert friends before even asking my Priest!!

I love you guys, you are so valuable to us cradle Catholics. Not only does it give us a fresh perspective on our faith and encourages us to see that our wonderful Catholic faith continues to grow, but you teach us a lot of things that we were not taught. Welcome Home!!!:hug:

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
vrunca said:
I love you guys, you are so valuable to us cradle Catholics. Not only does it give us a fresh perspective on our faith and encourages us to see that our wonderful Catholic faith continues to grow, but you teach us a lot of things that we were not taught. Welcome Home!!!:hug:

:clap: :clap:

Upvote 0