Conversion Stories

garydench

Feb 24, 2004
✟865.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Out of interest, is there anybody here that has converted to Catholicism?

I, myself, am in the process of converting to the Catholic Church from the Anglican Communion and was really wondering whether others have had similar experiences. My own reasons were that there was no real faith anymore and that leaders were wasting there time trying to make the Church look "cool" and "modern" by pandering to atheistic and hedonistic ideals.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
garydench said:

I, myself, am in the process of converting to the Catholic Church from the Anglican Communion and was really wondering whether others have had similar experiences. My own reasons were that there was no real faith anymore and that leaders were wasting there time trying to make the Church look "cool" and "modern" by pandering to atheistic and hedonistic ideals.
Hi!

I am one! Actually coming into the Church this Easter with my whole family!! :clap:

I am coming in because after researching what the Early Church believed, taught and how they practiced their faith and after about 3 years of studying Church history, Church doctrines, here I am . . I told my priest when I first talked to him, that if I didn't come into the Catholic Church, where else would I go? That was a very short synopsis of my journey into the fullness of the faith . . :)

There many of us here . .we even have our own RCIA Lounge thread here somewhere .. I am sure the others will check in as they see this thread. . .

Welcome to OBOB!! you will find lots of good company here.

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟13,560.00
Faith
Catholic
I converted last Easter. Technically I was a catechumen since I wasn't baptized, but I had been raised in a pentecostal church and finished college at a baptist university, also attended Nazarene for a while.

I suppose the main issues for me were a combination of authority, oneness and what was really historical Christianity.

Welcome home. :D

Marcia

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was again a cradle Catholic but never was taught anything about Catholicism. So as I got older I was everything but I just recently converted and am working on my communion and then confirmation. Sorry that I am a little late to the thread.

Upvote 0

Spotty

ilikemovies
Jun 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a Catholic convert as of last April. I was raised in the evangelical Christian church...or churches you could say. (First Evangelical Free Church). My whole family was against my conversion for the most part in greater and lesser degrees, so it wasn't easy. But thankfully, after 4 years of studying the Church I decided to enter into this thing which has the Fullness of Truth. ;)

-Spotty

Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
I just wanted to say that you converts have NO idea how much we cradle Catholics need you and appreciate you. You are a tremendous witness to us. You know the Faith better than most of us. You live what you know in an inspiring way. Everytime I meet a convert, I thank God for the 'new blood' that we need in our Church. (It's like getting a blood transfusion.)

Personally, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. May God continue to bless you and yours in every way.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm in the process.

I've basically been attending Pentacostal churches off & on all my life.

I talked to a priest for the first time tonight.

I will go & recieve the ashes tomorrow at the 6pm. service & meet him.

I guess after that I will be attending classes.

I'm really nervous & do not know why.

I've felt drawn to the Church for a couple of years now.

I'm just kinda scared yet excited too.

Hard to explain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Michelina said:
I just wanted to say that you converts have NO idea how much we cradle Catholics need you and appreciate you. You are a tremendous witness to us. You know the Faith better than most of us. You live what you know in an inspiring way. Everytime I meet a convert, I thank God for the 'new blood' that we need in our Church. (It's like getting a blood transfusion.)

Personally, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. May God continue to bless you and yours in every way.
I feel the same way. Many times converts to the Catholic Church are the best witnesses and apologists. Here are four names: Augustine, John Henry Newman, G.K. Chesterton, Scott Hahn.

Upvote 0

MParedon

Yahweh-nissi
Jan 20, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟3,848.00
Faith
Catholic
onesheep said:
I'm a revert, so I don't count. Only found out recently there's a term for those of us that left and came back. :) :wave:

I'm a Recovering Lapsed Catholic. It took me some time to find the right phrase for me. :) I had to decide between that, Recovering Cafeteria Catholic and Recovering Oblivious Catholic.

I'm just glad I'm back and I think it is so amazing that it is around the time there seem to be sooo many converts and reverts with such an enthusiasm.

My starting point was when I watched the Beautification of Mother Theresa, when there were only whispers about some movie Mel Gibson made. Now I feel like I see God's signs everywhere and all in BOLD and OBVIOUS ways. I feel like I would delibratley have to dig a whole a bury my head in it to try to ignore them. Even then I bet the Holy Spirit would still pull me. :)

Upvote 0

Magisterium

Praying and Thinking
Jan 22, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟1,813.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
garydench said:

Actually, I kinda call myself a "revert". I was raised Catholic (if you can call it that) and my family left the church when I was in middle school. I ended coming back into the church about 3 years ago after being challenged by a good friend and briefly investigating the history of the church and Christianity as a whole. I was in fact, Episcopalian before I came back home to Catholicism. For me, simply looking at the "fruits" of the various faiths (apart from the fruits of various members of those faiths) sent me running back to the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm also a recent convert. I was initiated on Dec 14th of last year, and it was a tough decision to turn Catholic: I still get some unnecessary garbage from protestants.

I first turned Christian about 3.5 years ago and attended various churches (methodist, anglican, pentecostal, baptist, presbyterian, reformed, etc). I primarily was part of a charismatic/pentecostal denomination but eventually I made the decision to turn Catholic despite the long wait and the frustration of being virtually the only protestant among Catholics. I just couldn't refuse the Church after what the Holy Spirit did to me: I was shown the beauty of the church through the teachings of the Church :)

-Jason

Upvote 0

RhetorTheo

Melkite
Dec 19, 2003
✟2,933.00
Faith
Catholic
Michie,

My immediate family wasn't particularly religious. They were basically Christian, and my mother believed that the United Pentecostals were probably right, but we didn't go to church. Around 18 or 19, I started to attend a UPC church and was baptized. However, I had questions about Bible contradictions, whether their interpretations were correct, and about whether tongues are really necessary for salvation.

I looked more into those issues, despite the warnings from my church to not seek knowledge because it will destroy your faith. I also read about evolution, and concluded that creation science was false. After doing some research on the Bible, in particular reading Richard Elliot Friedman's "Who Wrote the Bible," I realized that Moses did not write the pentateuch and that the stories of Genesis are contradictory and compiled from different sources, so it cannot be taken literally. Because I believed that either the Bible was literally true or else there is no God, I became an atheist.

Over the years, I began to believe that there were possibilities outside of Bible literalism and atheism. I was intrigued when I saw an NAB Bible, which had a description of Wellhausen's documentary hypothesis (the JEDP theory), which I had read about in Friedman's book and embraced. And I liked that the Catholic Church allowed belief in evolution. I thought of converting to Catholicism years ago, but it occured to me around March and the priest told me that I would start the process in the Fall and finish at Easter. By that time, I had lost interest.

When I met my fiancee, I considered myself a Unitarian Universalist. I hadn't been to many of their services, but I liked how they embraced a sincere search for the truth regardless of your beliefs. When my fiancee decided that she wanted to get married in the Church, we called around and found the local RCIA program.

As far as the Eastern church goes, I am part Russian. I attended a Greek Orthodox and Catholic wedding a couple years ago at a Greek Orthodox church. I was interested in learning about the Russian Orthodox, but I didn't like the idea of standing the whole time and no pews. When I found that there are Eastern churches within the Catholic Church, I was interested but never pursued it. I remembered it when I began RCIA, and thought about finding such a church. Luckily, one was only about 10 minutes away from my home.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a revert; baptized Catholic at 8 yrs old and due to lack of spiritual formation, I turned skeptic/mason and after tons of prayers from family and friends, guidence of the Holy Spirit, and a hard inner struggle, I (thanks be to God) converted back the Catholic Church. :clap:

Upvote 0