• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Conservatives push to reinstate Steve King on committees despite racist remarks

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by SummerMadness, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,241
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Do you have a black friend?

2. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+9,066
    Other Religion
    Sure. We can look at how our nation allocates resources; who it treats harshly; who it extends grace to... There are a host of more specific things we can measure - and most of the time, dark people get the short end of the stick.

You think it's only non-whites who have this opinion? I'm so pale, I'm nearly translucent.

3. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+6,258
    Agnostic
    Married
    :doh:

4. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,241
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I'll take that as a "no".

5. Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven "After all this time?" Always.

+10,905
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    I know, right?

Rational Wiki - Friend Argument: The friend argument is an argument used by people who want to claim knowledge about and/or sympathy with a group, by referring to their "friends" belonging to this group. It is commonly used to clear and absolve oneself from suspicion of racism, xenophobia or other kinds of prejudice. It is a particular form of the "Not prejudiced, but…" statement.

The friend argument is one of the laziest ways to try to worm out of accepting the responsibility for endorsing prejudice. The idea is that someone cannot be prejudiced if they have friends of that demographic; if they had a real prejudice against that full group, then none of them would be okay to hang around, and conversely, then that member of said group would no longer be their friend.

6. Belk

+6,258
    Agnostic
    Married
    Take it however you like.

7. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,241
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If a white person has a black person he truly considers to be a friend, then it's rather difficult to claim evidence that the white person really considers him to be a friend. If the black person was just an acquaintance, then it would be different. But how can an outsider (read: accuser) determine the relationship between 2 people? It's just being ignorantly judgemental to say, "Sure, you have a black 'friend', but you're still a racist."

8. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,241
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Thanks! I like it at face value.

9. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,416
    Baptist
    Married
    I'm sorry, I must be uninformed; what did he say that was racist?

10. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,737
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    In January he was stripped of all committee assignments after saying in an interview that he didn't understand why white supremacy and white nationalism were offensive.

11. Andrew77

Andrew77 The walking accident Supporter

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    That's illogical, since debt is created by overspending, which I have routinely criticized Trump for his over spending.

Debt is not created by tax cuts. Debt is created by spending. Michael Jackson earned over an estimated billion dollars in his life time. Yet at the time of his death, he was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Claiming that tax cuts caused the debt, is equal to claiming Michael Jackson just didn't earn enough.

Ridiculous claim. The problem is spending. Now if I supported Trumps massive spending increases, and you claimed I did not care about debt, you would be dead on right in that criticism.

12. Belk

+6,258
    Agnostic
    Married

OBKB then.

13. Andrew77

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    What does that have to do with anything? Should I pay a black person more because they are black, just so you don't see a racial wealth gap?

Wealthy people are wealthy, because they act wisely with money.

Poor people are poor, because they act foolishly with money.

Race is not relevant to the discussion.

The Pursuit of Happyness - Wikipedia
    This movie was based on the true story of Chris Gardener (who appears at the very end of the film).

Chris, a black man, went into the white dominated stock broker field, and end up not only making money, but starting his own firm.

People can do almost anything in the great country of ours, provided they don't waste their time making up excuses for why they fail.

Morgan Freeman is right. It's just an excuse.

14. Andrew77

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Did I create this thread? No.

So am I the one going around lecturing others about racism? No.

The person who created this thread, and those who responded in support are faking apparent outrage at the claimed racism of Steven King.

Yet, you have a clear undeniable racists, that was never stripped of committee assignments, and never censured.

My point is.... those of you on the left-wing side of this 'racism is bad' mob.... need to either practice what you preach, or stop preaching.

Trying to point your fingers at me, while completely ignoring glaring and clear racism in your own camp... just makes you a hypocrite.

Either practice what you preach.... or stop whining and crying that other people are not taking racism seriously. This is on you. I'm just holding a mirror up to the faces of the people on this thread and saying "That is what you look like".

15. Andrew77

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Yes. There is a way. You look at the laws of the land, and see if they penalize, or oppress people of a specific race. Our laws do not, which is why there are many people like Obama, Omar and Cortez that are able to make it to the highest offices in the land.

This is not a racists country, period. It's a ridiculous and unsupportable claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Andrew77

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Several in fact. One of my closest friends was a woman from Somalia, named Nadia.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  17. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,021
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    You don't win battles by shooting at your own men to make your enemies happy...

18. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,961
    Christian
    People that are saddened by the idea that white supremacy is considered a bad thing are racist. Simple.

19. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,961
    Christian
    Friends probably shouldn't (and probably don't) post the name of their closest friends online. I would never post my friends' names online... just seems like a good idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Andrew77

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    That's nifty and pointless. I haven't met a single person yet that was sad that white supremacy is considered bad.

People that support "Black Lives Matter" but hate both "All Lives Matter" and "Blue Lives Matter" even when some of those police are black.... are racists. Simple.