Google's CEO had to remind Congress that Google doesn't make iPhones

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Google's CEO had to remind Congress that Google doesn't make iPhones
In any congressional hearing about technology, at least a few lawmakers will use Silicon Valley executives as their own personal tech support staff. But usually, the questions at least involve products that their companies actually make. So Google CEO Sundar Pichai got particularly unlucky at a hearing in the House Judiciary Committee today, when Rep. Steve King (R-IA) asked Pichai to explain why his daughter’s iPhone was acting strangely.

“I have a seven-year-old granddaughter who picked up her phone during the election, and she’s playing a little game, the kind of game a kid would play,” King told Pichai. “And up on there pops a picture of her grandfather. And I’m not going to say into the record what kind of language was used around that picture of her grandfather, but I’d ask you: how does that show up on a seven-year-old’s iPhone, who’s playing a kid’s game?”

Pichai hesitated. “Congressman, the iPhone is made by a different company. And so, you know, I mean...”

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
On some level, he's right in pointing out that the brand is irrelevant to the question, since a lot of the UI design is similar between the two platforms.

But it's still a stupid question to be asking in that forum.

Upvote 0