Conservatives push to reinstate Steve King on committees despite racist remarks

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Conservatives push to reinstate Steve King on committees despite racist remarks
A small group of House Republicans is leading a long-shot bid to get embattled Rep. Steve King back on his committee assignments after the Iowa Republican was booted for making racist remarks earlier this year.

The cadre of hard-line conservatives, led by Reps. Ralph Norman (R-S.C.), Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) and others, plans to ask the GOP conference on Tuesday morning to immediately consider a resolution reinstating King. But that effort is likely to fail, because it would require support from a majority of a quorum to proceed and the votes just aren't there.

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Still better than left-wingers.

Exactly. You’d rather have an unapologic racist in power than someone with politics that disagree with yours. And that right there folks sums up the problem with US politics quite succinctly.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Still better than left-wingers.

Exactly. You’d rather have an unapologic racist in power than someone with politics that disagree with yours. And that right there folks sums up the problem with US politics quite succinctly.

I agree. However, if I understand things correctly, his seats would go to another Republican, so this isn't a choice between Steve King and a left-winger. It's between Steve King and a less-racist Republican.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I agree. However, if I understand things correctly, his seats would go to another Republican, so this isn't a choice between Steve King and a left-winger. It's between Steve King and a less-racist Republican.

The alternative might lean too far to the left... can't take the chance of putting a closet RINO in such an important position.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps the poster would rather have an unapologetic racist whose politics agree than one whose politics disagree? After all, I can recall many feminists being quite happy to have a misogynist in office as long as his politics agreed with theirs. They may have, perhaps in like manner to the poster in question thought that having a misogynist with the opposing politics would have been worse. And does anyone remember Robert Byrd? Seems there were quite a few people that did not speak up about getting him out of office.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reinstating him would embolden other extremists to misbehave.
Well, we already have several of them--Congresspersons from NY, Michigan, Minnesota, for example--and they have not been inhibited at all. The Pelosi leadership in fact gives out plum committee assignments and caters to these freshmen legislators. That being the case, it seems only fair to some Representatives that King not be singled out for punishment, especially when his comments were much less than what some of these folks have defiantly thrown around. I should think that liberals would, if true to their supposed principles, support equal treatment.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Really? Because the biggest openly, and unambiguous racists in congress right now, is Ilhan Abdullahi Omar, who has made clear racists statements like Jews have duel loyalty, and "hypnotizing the world", and then excusing others "Some people did something"....

If you say that I am an unapologetic racists because after we stripped Steven King of his committees, and punished him for his statements..... what does that make you, when the Democrats did NOTHING to Omar for her racists comments?

You have clear undeniable racists in Congress, and you don't punish them. We did. You didn't. We held a standard against racism. You didn't.

In fact, I wager the whole reason a few people are trying to get King back on, is simply because they saw that Omar was twenty times the racists King was, and said.... if that is the new standard, then we treated King unfairly.

This is on you. Not me.

• Winner
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Really? Because the biggest openly, and unambiguous racists in congress right now, is Ilhan Abdullahi Omar, who has made clear racists statements like Jews have duel loyalty, and "hypnotizing the world", and then excusing others "Some people did something"....

If you say that I am an unapologetic racists because after we stripped Steven King of his committees, and punished him for his statements..... what does that make you, when the Democrats did NOTHING to Omar for her racists comments?

You have clear undeniable racists in Congress, and you don't punish them. We did. You didn't. We held a standard against racism. You didn't.

In fact, I wager the whole reason a few people are trying to get King back on, is simply because they saw that Omar was twenty times the racists King was, and said.... if that is the new standard, then we treated King unfairly.

This is on you. Not me.

Ah that old chestnut. You’re only a racist because the other side are bigger racists. Ok then. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Incidentally you might want to take a glance at the racial demographics of your party before declaring confidently that the other side are the racist ones.

Oh and if you want to talk anti-semitism, maybe start by explaining why 71% of the Jewish vote went Democrat not Republican last general election.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The alternative might lean too far to the left... can't take the chance of putting a closet RINO in such an important position.
Good point...and why aren’t people who have difficultly being civil with people of another color, considered “RINO”?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

This is on you. Not me.
Jews are a race? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, we already have several of them--Congresspersons from NY, Michigan, Minnesota, for example--

Oh yeah, those three brown women Conservatives can't stop talking about. I had almost forgotten about them.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah that old chestnut. You’re only a racist because the other side are bigger racists. Ok then. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Incidentally you might want to take a glance at the racial demographics of your party before declaring confidently that the other side are the racist ones.

Oh and if you want to talk anti-semitism, maybe start by explaining why 71% of the Jewish vote went Democrat not Republican last general election.

There are many Jews that hate Israel. That does not mean they are not racists. I know a dozen black people that voted Republican. So I guess by your standard, then we are still not the racists ones.

I sleep like a baby, thanks. I don't care about the racial demographics. Racist people look at demographics, because they look at race. I am not racists, thus I want everyone to join my side, and I don't care what their skin color is.

In short.... we're better than that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Without defending her use of dogwhistles, I would point out that when she claims that some folks have dual loyalty and/or have been hypnotized by Israel, she's right. Except that it's not American jews who've divided their loyalties - it's American evangelicals.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is on you. Not me.
You have misquoted Omar. She said those things about Israel, not Jews. As for dual loyalty, do you complain when Muslims are accused of dual loyalty? How about when Obama was accused of dual loyalty by people who thought he is Muslim?

Netanyahu has bragged about manipulating the U.S. criticizing Israel is not the same as criticizing Jewish people. My jewish friends are very anti-Israel and anti-Zionism.

Upvote 0