Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Talking about Jesus and discussing God, enriches everyone's lives. But being confrontational and deliberately attempting to ridicule parishioners at their place of worship just isn't the way to do it.

What were these christian men wanting to achieve?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-05/baptists-confront-islamic-leader-at-brisbane-mosque/9944580

Follow-up interview:

Ugh this interview is showing in Australia and making christians look so foolish and rude. Its so annoying.

The other concern I have is making an effort to talk of Mohammed as a paedophile - In the current environment where so many Christian churches have been confronted by paedophilia within their ranks, this was probably a poor tactic.

This is reflecting poorly on the Baptist church and unfortunately Christians as a whole.

Last edited:

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Talking about Jesus and discussing God, enriches everyone's lives. But being confrontational and deliberately attempting to ridicule parishioners at their place of worship just isn't the way to do it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-05/baptists-confront-islamic-leader-at-brisbane-mosque/9944580

Follow-up interview:

Ugh this interview is showing in Australia and making christian look so foolish.

The other concern I have is making an effort to talk of Mohammed as a paedophile - In the current environment where so many Christian churches have been confronted by paedophilia within their ranks, this was probably an poor tactic.

This is reflecting poorly on the Baptist church and unfortunately Christians as a whole.
Regardless of what people believe, every person, including Muslims, are created in the image of God, and therefore are to be treated with absolute respect. These Christian men are bringing their churches into disrepute by their actions. Their actions have turned many away from Christ who otherwise might have received Him. I believe their actions grieve the Holy Spirit, and it would be no wonder if there was no power of the Holy Spirit in their churches but just a barren religion that God would spew out of His mouth.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Regardless of what people believe, every person, including Muslims, are created in the image of God, and therefore are to be treated with absolute respect. These Christian men are bringing their churches into disrepute by their actions. Their actions have turned many away from Christ who otherwise might have received Him. I believe their actions grieve the Holy Spirit, and it would be no wonder if there was no power of the Holy Spirit in their churches but just a barren religion that God would spew out of His mouth.
Gosh Oscarr hes from NZ too - Can you ask him to come home please?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There are a range of responses and tactics a person could try when confronting Islam. I don't think the one displayed in the video is the best way to go, at least not in that context. Discussing the morality of the founder of the religion is an entirely reasonable thing to do, but it has to come with more than arguing with a guy in a parking lot.

I think the ultimate point made by Fr. Zakaria Butros, the controversial Coptic priest whose TV show on satellite in the MENA region and on the internet often confronts Islam, in the following clip, appended to the end of his infamous 'ten demands' speech (below), is a good one, and would've been a better way to go: Look to the sources that the Muslims themselves accept and what they say about Muhammad and the privileges he was given, and then ask how this is supposed to line up with the supposed strict morality that Islam touts that it has. That makes Muhammad and the religion he brought look much more suspect than simply repeating 'pedophile' over and over when the obvious reply can be made that it was a different time, culture, etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Follow-up interview:

Ugh this interview is showing in Australia and making christians look so foolish and rude. Its so annoying.

The other concern I have is making an effort to talk of Mohammed as a paedophile - In the current environment where so many Christian churches have been confronted by paedophilia within their ranks, this was probably a poor tactic.

Jesus didn't attack other religions of His time. He confronted His own people and what they were doing wrong.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a range of responses and tactics a person could try when confronting Islam. I don't think the one displayed in the video is the best way to go, at least not in that context. Discussing the morality of the founder of the religion is an entirely reasonable thing to do, but it has to come with more than arguing with a guy in a parking lot.

I think the ultimate point made by Fr. Zakaria Butros, the controversial Coptic priest whose TV show on satellite in the MENA region and on the internet, in the following clip, appended to the end of his infamous 'ten demands' speech (below), is a good one, and would've been a better way to go: Look to the sources that the Muslims themselves accept and what they say about Muhammad and the privileges he was given, and then ask how this is supposed to line up with the supposed strict morality that Islam touts that it has. That makes Muhammad and the religion he brought look much more suspect than simply repeating 'pedophile' over and over when the obvious reply can be made that it was a different time, culture, etc.

But then this guy, in the first video, would have had to do a serious study of Islam. It doesn't appear that he did.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But then this guy, in the first video, would have had to do a serious study of Islam. It doesn't appear that he did.
According to Islamic writings, 53 year old Mohammed married a six year old girl, but did not live with her until she was nine.

One source indicates he had 12 wives. Another source indicates he had 14 wives.

He was not Christian.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to Islamic writings, 53 year old Mohammed married a six year old girl, but did not live with her until she was nine.

One source indicates he had 12 wives. Another source indicates he had 14 wives.

He was not Christian.
I know all of that. What I am saying is that if that is all you've got to throw in a Muslim's face then you shouldn't even be debating them at all. Go do your homework first.

• Agree
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galworth

May 27, 2014
✟16,692.00
Faith
Baptist

Follow-up interview:

Yes I have to agree this was over-cooked, disrespectful and foolish on the part of those Baptist Church members, and the kind of thing that back-fires on them and subjects Christian ministries as whole to public ridicule. I do think in some cases one needs to be firm to defend Christian values and worship in communicating with Muslims, but this is the wrong way to do it, esp. those ridiculous and ahistorical attacks on their prophet-- it was a very different time then and launching such stupid, canned attacks devoid of context is guaranteed to boomerang on them.

Just to be clear on this, I'm not arguing to molly coddle Muslims here or be weak in the support of our own faith. Particularly in Europe, mine and other missionary groups emphasizing conversion make it clear that Europe is the home of Christianity and Islam and it's contrary belief systems, particularly Shari'a Law, are not welcome here because they conflict with the basic freedoms of European Enlightenment culture and the Christian heritage that has made Europe what it is. We make it clear that eventually sometime this century, there will no longer be mosques in the continent of Europe and that refugees in particular, who have been granted kind assistance, not to mention taxpayer support in a time of need for problems that Muslims created in their own country, will not be allowed to remain in Europe if they insist on staying Muslim. The refugee process is ultimately for those most in need who can be safe only in Europe and not a neighboring country, and for the Middle East, that means Christians and Yazids only, those facing general persecution at the hands of Muslims. If a Muslim claims to be a "refugee" he or she should have stopped in a neighboring country, if all the way in Europe he or she is an economic migrant and a welfare shopper, unless he or she expresses an intention to convert and join the church, in which case there is indeed fair reason to grant asylum.

However despite even our firm stance, we never treat Muslims individually with disrespect. While we may criticize their decisions and object firmly to any claimed "refugees" trying to change local European culture and stop them from building a mosque, this does not mean that we hate them individually. We appeal to them and their moral sense, firmly but still patiently try to bring them into the fold of the church and, if it does reach the point that we have no choice but to report them for deportation (if they falsely claim refugee status and in process deprive a truly persecuted Christian of such status), we still do not insult them and never insult their prophet, but treat them with dignity. There is a balance with these things, and that group in Australia failed to show it.

Upvote 0