Conflation and Twisting of the Scriptures on the Sabbath (under Construction)

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For folks reading the thread, still working on it! Probably post tomorrow morning on the word Eternal in Hebrew, aka point 2.

And in the News! I bought my own digital version of the "Clear Word" (Adventist Bible / paraphrase). And expect to a thread on that someday in the not-too-distant future.

I will also comment, my presence here is pretty much purely for the non-SDA average Christian. I do not expect to convince any SDA of anything. My presence here is purely for the benefit of all Nicene Christians (Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox and even ACE if any show up). I am here to confirm them in the Faith against the claims of a group that I believe to be ahistorical and heterodox (a case extremely easy to make). In a nutshell, I believe Christianity in America was unwittingly led astray by Walter Martin when he came out with his seminal work "Kingdom of the Cults" and went extra easy on a certain group. (That itself needs to be a thread!) Anyway, it became clear to me that one of my areas of ministry, I should be working on is this one. So, I intend to do my best to undo the work of Walter Martin as far as you are concerned.... But have no fear SDA, I have no intention of campaigning for Sunday Laws! (Besides being a waste of time, and energy, such laws would be unconstitutional pretty much by definition. Basically, one more bullet point of a long list of reasons and examples that I believe Ellen White was prophesying out of soul than the Holy Spirit).

In all honesty, that is one of the strangest points of your teaching and preaching, especially since Americans of previous generations were so much more schooled on the American Constitution than most folks of today, and we are moving more and more towards full on atheist and agnostic apostasy than a national Christian movement. But there I said it! Rest Easy.

OF course, I suspect some of you, kind of secretly want to be persecuted and I'm not sure what we can do about that. I could however recommend that some of you might consider moving to the Middle East or Africa. I know from some of my former Coptic brethren that the Muslim brotherhood of Egypt are extremely zealous at persecuting the Kafir and they would be very happy to persecute you as well. Anyway, if this is something that interests you I'm sure we can help facilitate a genuine persecution experience. For example, I have heard a practice where families in different countries switch houses for a season like summer so they can have a long vacation in a far away land on the cheap. So if you were interested I think you could work out something like this. It would probably good of course to study Arabic first, and you probably are going to need a lot of vaccinations. But imagine all the sights to see in a place like Egypt! Imagine living under literal or defacto Sharia law at least for a short time. Doesn't that sound like fun? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
For folks reading the thread, still working on it! Probably post tomorrow morning on the word Eternal in Hebrew, aka point 2.

And in the News! I bought my own digital version of the "Clear Word" (Adventist Bible / paraphrase). And expect to a thread on that someday in the not-too-distant future.

I will also comment, my presence here is pretty much purely for the non-SDA average Christian. I do not expect to convince any SDA of anything. My presence here is purely for the benefit of all Nicene Christians (Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox and even ACE if any show up). I am here to confirm them in the Faith against the claims of a group that I believe to be ahistorical and heterodox (a case extremely easy to make). In a nutshell, I believe Christianity in America was unwittingly led astray by Walter Martin when he came out with his seminal work "Kingdom of the Cults" and went extra easy on a certain group. (That itself needs to be a thread!) Anyway, it became clear to me that one of my areas of ministry, I should be working on is this one. So, I intend to do my best to undo the work of Walter Martin as far as you are concerned.... But have no fear SDA, I have no intention of campaigning for Sunday Laws! (Besides being a waste of time, and energy, such laws would be unconstitutional pretty much by definition. Basically, one more bullet point of a long list of reasons and examples that I believe Ellen White was prophesying out of soul than the Holy Spirit).

In all honesty, that is one of the strangest points of your teaching and preaching, especially since Americans of previous generations were so much more schooled on the American Constitution than most folks of today, and we are moving more and more towards full on atheist and agnostic apostasy than a national Christian movement. But there I said it! Rest Easy.

OF course, I suspect some of you, kind of secretly want to be persecuted and I'm not sure what we can do about that. I could however recommend that some of you might consider moving to the Middle East or Africa. I know from some of my former Coptic brethren that the Muslim brotherhood of Egypt are extremely zealous at persecuting the Kafir and they would be very happy to persecute you as well. Anyway, if this is something that interests you I'm sure we can help facilitate a genuine persecution experience. For example, I have heard a practice where families in different countries switch houses for a season like summer so they can have a long vacation in a far away land on the cheap. So if you were interested I think you could work out something like this. It would probably good of course to study Arabic first, and you probably are going to need a lot of vaccinations. But imagine all the sights to see in a place like Egypt! Imagine living under literal or defacto Sharia law at least for a short time. Doesn't that sound like fun? :)
Iron sharpens iron, so there is benefit in two people interacting with each other's ideas even if they never convince the other person because it helps them to refine their positions and to better articulate what they believe and why. Furthermore, having our positions challenged helps us to see that some of the arguments that we are using are weak and shouldn't be used, such as your argument about "entole" that doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny when looking at how verses use the word, which you should acknowledge. Furthermore, when two people have a formal debate, they are usually pretty entrenched in their position, so the goal of engaging with the other's ideas is not to convince them, but to convince the audience, which is something that you did show concern for, so I think it would be good for you to engage with those who have responded to your posts, though that is your prerogative.

SDA are far from the only group of people who think that followers of God should follow what /he has commanded in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow, so there is no need to believe that there will be a Sunday law, in any of the other teachings of EGW, or to have a persecution complex in order to believe that we should follow God's command to keep the Sabbath holy.

OK I got maybe 2-4 posts to make on "the Eternal Nature." of the Sabbath. Lots of great info from Academy Apologia on YouTube. He even quotes some Adventist sources that occasionally acknowledge that Olam as Eternal is not an ironclad lexical definition of that term. But transcribing is a lot of work, so this is probably going to drag out over the days.

2A - On the Eternal Sabbath, and lexical meaning of the Hebrew word "Olam"

Quotes from "Israelogy, the missing link in Systematic Theology", page 655, under headline "The Perpetuity of the Sabbath"

"Those that argue for mandatory
Sabbath observance on the basis of the law of Moses will often refer to Exodus 31:13 which states that the sabbath is to be observed throughout your generation. 31:16 The Sabbath is a perpetual covenant. 31:17 Where it is a sign between God and Israel forever.

According to the proponents of mandatory Sabbath Keeping these terms show that the Sabbath obligation continues although many parts of the Mosaic Law are no longer in effect, such as the sacrificial system and Levitical priesthood. However, while the English terms do tend to carry the concept of eternity that is not the meaning of the Hebrew word's themselves. Classical Hebrew had no word that actually meant eternal. The Hebrew word, "forever", olam, according to Brown Drive and Briggs "means of long duration, antiquity, the future". The Hebrew forms mean nothing more than "until the end of some period". What the period of time is must be determined by the context or the context of the related passages. In Classical Hebrew these words never meant or carry the concept of eternity but had a time limitation."
It is granted that the Hebrew word "olam" can refer to "a long duration, antiquity, the future", though it is false that it means nothing more than "until the end of some period" because there are also a number of uses where it clearly means "forever". For example, in Psalms 119:142, it says that God's righteousness is eternal, which is clearly not saying that God is righteous for a long but temporary period of time until He changes to being unrighteous. God does not change, but rather He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

So in regard to the Sabbath, the issue is whether it correct to consider it to be something that lasts for a long duration or something that is eternal. The command to keep the Sabbath throughout their generations is clear that it is speaking about something that should be done in every generation, which would mean that it lasts forever. If the things that the Sabbath is a sign of are true, such as that God created the word in six days and rested on the seventh, God sanctifies us, and God saved the Israelites out of bondage in Egypt, then we should live in a way that testifies about their truth by keeping the Sabbath holy for as long as those things remain true, which again would be forever. In 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy as God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to be holy as He is holy, which straightforward includes keeping God's Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3), so by following those instructions we are acting in accordance with God's holiness, and God's holiness is also clearly something that is eternal rather than that lasts for a long but temporary time until He changes to being unholy.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I expanded a bit on the previous post, because I thought it would be a better strategy than just continuing on from the old post (because I'm cross posting this content on other platforms).

The post quotes the highlights of a video from Jim Baber of "Academy Apologia" on YouTube, video 81 "Defeating Adventism#81–Eternal Sabbath?". I basically transcribed and distilled some of the best info given on the video.

Olam and the Eternal Sabbath
Quotes from "Israelogy, the missing link in Systematic Theology", page 655, under headline "The Perpetuity of the Sabbath"
"Those that argue for mandatory Sabbath observance on the basis of the law of Moses will often refer to Exodus 31:13 which states that the sabbath is to be observed throughout your generation. 31:16 The Sabbath is a perpetual covenant. 31:17 Where it is a sign between God and Israel forever.

According to the proponents of mandatory Sabbath Keeping these terms show that the Sabbath obligation continues although many parts of the Mosaic Law are no longer in effect, such as the sacrificial system and Levitical priesthood. However, while the English terms do tend to carry the concept of eternity that is not the meaning of the Hebrew word's themselves. Classical Hebrew had no word that actually meant eternal. The Hebrew word, "forever", olam, according to Brown Driver and Briggs "means of long duration, antiquity, the future". The Hebrew forms mean nothing more than "until the end of some period". What the period of time is must be determined by context or the context of the related passages. In Classical Hebrew these words never meant or carry the concept of eternity but had a time limitation."

2B) Jim Baber, "As I said before the original languages whether it is in Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic is the enemy of Seventh Day Adventist theology and refutes it all the time, and routinely and this is going to be another occasion of that!" [The presenter cites 2 Biblical Lexicons also used by Seventh Day Adventists in their works.]

1) "Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament" Ernst Jenni, Claus Westermann, translated by Mark E. Biddle. He llooks up the Hebrew and Aramaic occurrences, which are 440 Hebrew and 20 Aramaic. On the section of using this word in regards to Eternity in pages 852 and 853, the second page of the document gives a warning "The English translation "eternity" used in the heading is inappropriate for a number of OT passages with "olam" and even when it seems appropriate. It may not be permitted to introduce a preconceived notion of eternity, burdened with all of manner of content, philosophical or theological.

\ The text later defines the exact meaning of the word as meaning "most distant time". And this is concerning "having a view of the past or future".

\ "It can assume the meaning "unlimited unforeseeable duration, eternity, but only in an attributive usage (basically people reading in those kind of meanings).

2) "Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis" Volume 5, William A. Van Gemeren
This work lists "Long time" as it's basic meaning of the nom, and later gives the definition of "obscure time" as another definition.

Jim Baber then introjects, "That our notion of time and eternity, 'is a western concept, unknown to the Eastern, or Near Eastern Hebrew mind at this time. They did not have a word for eternity like we define and use it now. It didn't exist!" And I personally got agree and bring up my past observations reading the Bible, especially the Torah as a former student of psychology and the social sciences and seeing how different the ancient Hebrew culture is to our own. The ancient Hebrews, especially in the very early days come across to me like extreme concrete thinkers, e.g. on the many occasions where a westerner would use a symbol to illustrate something, the Hebrews construct a stone monument to commemorate the important event, or actually physically reenact something like marching around Jericho multiple times(before the actual attack) or reenacting the flight from Egypt with the celebration of Passover.

\The Old Testament actually uses Olam a number of times to indicate something that is limited to a person's own lifetime. Psalm 77:5, a person's own lifetime Exodus 21:6 (slavery), or the furthest conceivable time Exodus 15:18.

\ "States of affairs to can be perpetual in 1 Kings 8:13 the temple is established as a place for the Lord to dwell in perpetually..."
Other examples in regard to curses, anger and enmity: 2 Sam 3:28, 2 Kings 5:27, Deuteronomy 23:3, Ezra 9:12, Ezekiel 25: 15, 35, Ps. 78:66, Jeremiah 3:5, 17:4, Ps 85:5, Jer 14:4, Mal 1:4.

\ "God's unconditional promises to His people are often described as perpetual and eternal. Gen 9:12, 16 with Abraham, Phineas (perpetual priesthood) and David.

* The text however notes that just because these things are setup to be perpetual does not mean they cannot be abrogated (as is shown with people like Eli and King Saul).
* Likewise, it can be demonstrated that many Olam things from the Old Testament no longer exist, are practiced etc.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2) I'm currently studying and watching a video how the Hebrew world Olam often rendered "Eternal" by Strong's Concordance has been grossly mistranslated and oversimplified. Will re-edit the post with my notes on that.
I have found that the 1917 Jewish Publication Society translation of the Tanach translates olam as everlasting 300+ times.

ETA:
Ecclesiastes 3:14
(14) I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: [עֹֹלָם] nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it; and God hath done it, that men should fear before him.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have found that the 1917 Jewish Publication Society translation of the Tanach translates olam as everlasting 300+ times.

ETA:

Ecclesiastes 3:14

(14) I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: [עֹֹלָם] nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it; and God hath done it, that men should fear before him.
I guess I can see that based on the last section I quoted from the second Lexicon speaking of things like God's promises being perpetual, as well as "States of affairs", that I requoted below in red.

OF course, concerning this exact topic (eternal sabbath), I would disagree because the Jews believe in it as a kind of midrash, and claim that it was followed since the beginning of Adam and Eve although there is nothing in the text to suggest that bit of eisegeses from the Talmud (and most likely Second Temple Judaism).

The Old Testament actually uses Olam a number of times to indicate something that is limited to a person's own lifetime. Psalm 77:5, a person's own lifetime Exodus 21:6 (slavery), or the furthest conceivable time Exodus 15:18.

\ "States of affairs to can be perpetual in 1 Kings 8:13 the temple is established as a place for the Lord to dwell in perpetually..."
Other examples in regard to curses, anger and enmity: 2 Sam 3:28, 2 Kings 5:27, Deuteronomy 23:3, Ezra 9:12, Ezekiel 25: 15, 35, Ps. 78:66, Jeremiah 3:5, 17:4, Ps 85:5, Jer 14:4, Mal 1:4.

\ "God's unconditional promises to His people are often described as perpetual and eternal. Gen 9:12, 16 with Abraham, Phineas (perpetual priesthood) and David.

* The text however notes that just because these things are setup to be perpetual does not mean they cannot be abrogated (as is shown with people like Eli and King Saul).
* Likewise, it can be demonstrated that many Olam things from the Old Testament no longer exist, are practiced etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess I can see that based on the last section I quoted from the second Lexicon speaking of things like God's promises being perpetual, as well as "States of affairs", that I requoted below in red.
OF course, concerning this exact topic (eternal sabbath), I would disagree because the Jews believe in it as a kind of midrash, and claim that it was followed since the beginning of Adam and Eve although there is nothing in the text to suggest that bit of eisegeses from the Talmud (and most likely Second Temple Judaism).
The Old Testament actually uses Olam a number of times to indicate something that is limited to a person's own lifetime. Psalm 77:5, a person's own lifetime Exodus 21:6 (slavery), or the furthest conceivable time Exodus 15:18.
Would it be too much to ask for you to list your sources? Yesterday finding myself with an abundance of time I decided to review every occurrence of "olam" in the O.T. I found 68 vss. which defined/described "olam" and "ad" as eternal/everlasting etc. Too numerous to post, here are a few of them. Quotes are from 1917 JPS translation. I would explain non-eternal uses as figurative or hyperbole.
Jeremiah 51:39
(39) In their heat I will make their feasts, and I will make them drunken, that they may rejoice, and sleep a perpetual [olam] sleep, and not wake, saith the LORD.
Jeremiah 50:5
(5) They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the LORD in a perpetual [olam] covenant that shall not be forgotten.
Jeremiah 23:40
(40) And I will bring an everlasting [olam] reproach upon you, and a perpetual [olam] shame, which shall not be forgotten.
Isaiah 56:5
(5) Even unto them will I give in My house and within My walls a monument and a memorial better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting [olam] memorial, that shall not be cut off.
Isaiah 55:13
(13) Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle; and it shall be to the LORD for a memorial, for an everlasting [olam] sign that shall not be cut off.
Isaiah 51:6
(6) Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath; for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner; but My salvation shall be for ever,[olam] and My favour shall not be abolished.
Psalms 148:6
(6) He hath also established them for ever [olam] and ever [ad]; He hath made a decree which shall not be transgressed.
Ecc 3:14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever; [olam] nothing can be added to it, nor any thing taken from it; and God hath so made it, that men should fear before Him.​

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Would it be too much to ask for you to list your sources? Yesterday finding myself with an abundance of time I decided to review every occurrence of "olam" in the O.T. I found 68 vss. which defined/described "olam" and "ad" as eternal/everlasting etc. Too numerous to post, here are a few of them. Quotes are from 1917 JPS translation. I would explain non-eternal uses as figurative or hyperbole.
Jeremiah 51:39

(39) In their heat I will make their feasts, and I will make them drunken, that they may rejoice, and sleep a perpetual [olam] sleep, and not wake, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah 50:5

(5) They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the LORD in a perpetual [olam] covenant that shall not be forgotten.

Jeremiah 23:40

(40) And I will bring an everlasting [olam] reproach upon you, and a perpetual [olam] shame, which shall not be forgotten.

Isaiah 56:5

(5) Even unto them will I give in My house and within My walls a monument and a memorial better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting [olam] memorial, that shall not be cut off.

Isaiah 55:13

(13) Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle; and it shall be to the LORD for a memorial, for an everlasting [olam] sign that shall not be cut off.

Isaiah 51:6

(6) Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath; for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner; but My salvation shall be for ever,[olam] and My favour shall not be abolished.

Psalms 148:6

(6) He hath also established them for ever [olam] and ever [ad]; He hath made a decree which shall not be transgressed.

Ecc 3:14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever; [olam] nothing can be added to it, nor any thing taken from it; and God hath so made it, that men should fear before Him.
Sure, although I already did. The main source was Academy Apologia / (Youtuber- Jim Baber) video 81 on defeating Adventism, Olam and Eternity video. Baber himself is a professor, his specialty is on English translations of the Koran.

His main sources cited on camera are:

1) "Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament" Ernst Jenni, Claus Westermann, translated by Mark E. Biddle.

2) "Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis" Volume 5, William A. Van Gemeren

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I bought my own digital version of the "Clear Word" (Adventist Bible / paraphrase). :)
No such thing as an "Adventist Bible". We never made a translation of any kind for english and the "Clear Word" is not even a translation.

The "Clear Word" is in fact "The Clear Word is not atranslation, but a devotional paraphrase of Scripture expanded forclarity."

It is a devotional that one person came up with and is not a denomination level document of any sort.

what you have is a devotional paraphrase authored by an Adventist some place on planet Earth. Not a Bible, not a Bible Translation and not something that the denomination authored, sponsored, commissioned etc.

I will also comment, my presence here is pretty much purely for the non-SDA average Christian. I do not expect to convince any SDA

I guess that part goes without saying - but it would be nice to be as factually accurate as possible. Yet you attack the Bible Sabbath which implies that you are addressing non-SDAs that accept the Bible Sabbath.

I intend to do my best to undo the work of Walter Martin

Best of luck to you then. He is a good example of a non-SDA Evangelical scholar and researcher who did not agree with certain SDA doctrines (such as the Bible Sabbath) but was factually accurate enough to admit that SDAs are not a cult.

If this is going to be your "SDAs are a cult" thread - you should at least seek some level of accuracy especially if you want to compare yourself to Walter Martin.

But if this is your thread to prove that Walter Martin was wrong to reject the SDA view of the Bible Sabbath - then even more confusing logic in your thread. Are you flip-flopping at this point?

The post quotes the highlights of a video from Jim Baber of "Academy Apologia" on YouTube, video 81 "Defeating Adventism#81–Eternal Sabbath?". I basically transcribed and distilled some of the best info given on the video.

Trying to find a good sda-bashing website and then posting their content here might be your best option as it is possible that one of them may indeed be seeking something close to accuracy.

Accuracy is a good thing.

Olam and the Eternal Sabbath
"Those that argue for mandatory Sabbath observance on the basis of the law of Moses will often refer to Exodus 31:13 which states that the sabbath is to be observed throughout your generation. 31:16 The Sabbath is a perpetual covenant. 31:17 Where it is a sign between God and Israel forever.

According to the proponents of mandatory Sabbath Keeping these terms show that the Sabbath obligation continues

The Sabbath is a good topic for SDAs but if that is going to be your solution - this is the right forum to try that out. There are a lot of Bible Sabbath keeping groups posting here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
5) probably going to be based on this video talking about Adventism's claim of the uniqueness of the 10 commandments being "written on stone" from famous pastors like Doug Batchelor etc.

Famous makes all the difference...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus expands and deepens our understanding of God's commandments - instead of "deleting them".

And it is not just Seventh-day Adventists that notice this Bible detail -- as this entire subforum proves.
Expanding on what you've said from a Christian whose affiliation is with Jesus Christ - the Word of God - God our Father, and the Holy Spirit and any true Christian sibling in any group who is seeking to be the same.

Jesus is explaining how a circumcised heart (Deut10:16; Deut30:6; Jer4:4; Rom2:29), the new birth with a new spirit and God's Spirit (Ez36:25-27; John3:7), a perfected conscience under His Great High Priesthood (Heb9:9-15), and God's Law written in mind and on hearts (Jer31:33; Heb8:10; Heb10:16) works (Yes, I said "works"). We won't even be thinking of things that lead to acts of sin/lawlessness/righteousness. Some of this comes straight out of Tanakh. In my walk I'm already realizing & experiencing some of this new creation.

I wish & pray these antinomian arguments would end. We should be redeeming our time understanding God's Law, not fighting over its existence. We'd be a much better Biblical witness to the universal authority of Jesus Christ if we would. God has given us the cure for the fall and all that plagues mankind.

We're commanded to grow to what Paul calls being Spiritual, which Hebrews 5 & Paul (Phil3) call Perfect/Complete/Mature, and be able to identify any sin/lawlessness/unrighteousness our Christian siblings get caught up in, and to bear their burden and assist them out of it. This is how we fulfill Messianic Law (Gal6). We don't learn what lawlessness is by rejecting God's Law.

In Phil3 Paul then proceeds to tell the Mature in Christ in Spirit to continue the advance in the high call of God in Christ Jesus to reach another perfection/completion, which is arrival at the resurrection. He says anyone not doing so is the enemy of the cross of Christ.

Professed Christians should get this. The cross which so many also argue about was for our entrance into Christ, our maturity, and ultimately our perfection in Christ. Heb5 says our maturity is based upon having [mental] faculties well exercised in judging both good and bad. This is in contrast to children/infants who are unlearned and unskilled in the Word of Righteousness (the opposite of sin). Throw out God's Law and all its profitable teaching (2Tim3:16; Heb4:12) and good luck on the advance to maturity and beyond and welcome to the category enemies of the cross of Christ who never arrive at the ability to fulfill His Law (Gal6) and in our small but graced way, imitate His infinite Love for us in dealing with our lawlessness.

Seriously, this antinomianism is a plague (as sin is).

Last edited:
Upvote 0