Concern for Christian friend who is very angry with God. What more can I do, then pray?

Hannah66

Oct 6, 2006
✟49,161.00
Faith
Baptist
I have a christian friend who is very angry with God and she has been for a long time. She's endured a lot of sadness and loss in her life. It started when she first lost her mother, at age 12 and then her husband, after only a few years of marriage. She now suffers from chronic pain and she is very angry with God for not healing her.
She told me today she would end her life if she wasn't a christian. She also told me that she wants to burn every bible she owns. She says she shouts at God and tells him off. The pastor called her on the phone but she told him NOT to pray for her.
I told her to contact me when she was in pain, so I could pray but she said she is unable to text on her cell phone.
She is angry with everyone, and that includes me,at times.
I told her-please don't lose your faith. I've endured a lot of heartache and loss too, but I cling more to JESUS.

It is difficult to hear her speak to me over the phone like this. Of course, I will pray for her more, now.

What else can I do
no doubt, there is some depression mixed in with her struggle.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a christian friend who is very angry with God and she has been for a long time. She's endured a lot of sadness and loss in her life. It started when she first lost her mother, at age 12 and then her husband, after only a few years of marriage. She now suffers from chronic pain and she is very angry with God for not healing her.
She told me today she would end her life if she wasn't a christian. She also told me that she wants to burn every bible she owns. She says she shouts at God and tells him off. The pastor called her on the phone but she told him NOT to pray for her.
I told her to contact me when she was in pain, so I could pray but she said she is unable to text on her cell phone.
I told her-please don't lose your faith. I've endured a lot of heartache and loss too, but I cling more to JESUS.

It is difficult to hear her speak to me over the phone like this. Of course, I will pray for her more, now.

What else can I do
Jesus Christ of Nazareth never promised peace in our lives. He said we must endure till the end. I dont know why some suffer more than others. Job did not know either but he endured, kept his faith but most of all he never stopped loving God. Your friend may be angry at God but does she still love Him? If she does, she will work it out with His Helper, His Holy Spirit. He will not abandon her.
She's lucky she has such a good friend. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pray for her. Sometimes that's all you can do, and sometimes it takes years.

I had a close friend who was angry at God. We had met and become friends because we were both Christians, and years later he decided he was angry enough at God to not want anything to do with him, he wouldn't pray or hear any encouragement to pray or anything positive about God. This lasted for several years, and it sucked for our friendship, because during that time I was going through things and I couldn't ask him to pray for me like I could before. But, God brought him back. It took a good while to rebuild our friendship after that, too. Just sharing this so that people know that some of these people do come back.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What else can I do

What you can do is continue to pray for her but also have some boundaries with her for your sake. You don't need to allow her to take her anger with God out on you. Let her know that you're there for her but you're not her emotional/spiritual punching bag.

Many times some people don't understand what a fellow Christian is going through when that person is angry with God. Many times some people think they can just pray something and quote some Scriptures and that should turn all this stuff around but it doesn't work like that because the wounding is VERY intimate. What I can tell you is that the person is in a "process of healing" that they themselves may not even fully understand. A process where they are fully engaged with God where there are no more mask or pretenses. It's VERY intense and for the most part there's nothing others can do because this is between her and God but you best believe God's got her and He's not afraid or surprised by her anger or rejection. God's got her, any way she moves and if she allows Him, He'll bring her to the other side of it all with a fuller working knowledge/ understanding of Himself. I know He will because He did it for me and God is no respecter of persons. You just have to love her enough to let her have her process and know that God is still the Great Physician in more ways than one.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to be angry with God too. God came for me with loving arms and hasn't let me go. He never stopped pursuing me. There was so much I didn't understand. Keep praying for her and reach out to her when you feel led to do so. If God leads you to do something for her, do it. She's God's child and He knows how to reach her. Some things do take a lot longer to solve and heal than others.

Upvote 0