concensus view on water baptism

What is the importance of water baptism?

• It is a sacrament that imparts grace

• It is an ordinance that should be done eventually

• Baptism isn't necessary ever

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Not sure what he is saying sometimes.
COOL! :) .... just like politically correct speech is required (or is it just 'carefully' observed? ) in wash.d.c.,
so also here. When clear speak is permitted by the rules, then much might be accomplished ..... until then , we rejoice in every day as YHWH PROVIDES ALL THINGS ! :)

But have you been buried with Christ by baptism ?
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !
AND
RAISED IN RESURRECTION LIFE ! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !

• Informative
Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You either don't believe the Bible or you have simply ignored the Scriptures that declare that acknowledging Jesus as Lord is equated with salvation. So let's post that passage in Romans 10 (just one out of many):

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

When someone introduces a red herring into the discussion, they have no case. We are NOT TALKING ABOUT FALSE PROFESSIONS OF FAITH. This is irrelevant to the discussion.

And that is why baptism by immersion is required. It is symbolic of death, burial and resurrection. But blood is not water, and water is not blood. As you can see above, those who call upon the name of THE LORD are saved. And at that moment, washed in the blood. Paul was saved and his sins were remitted when be acknowledeged Jesus as Lord. He was subsequently baptized, but that was to identify himself with the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. His sins were already remitted.
I will shortcut this blurb.
Are you saying it is right ..or wrong to be water baptized?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will shortcut this blurb.
Are you saying it is right ..or wrong to be water baptized?
its not wrong in itself to be dunked under water , but if men do it for salvation then is is adding works to the gospel, very similar as if a person would add circumcision to the gospel and to be saved as the early church tried to do in Acts 15

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul said that Christ sent him not to baptize, but to preach the gospel. He then defined that gospel to the same Corinthians he was writing to in 1 Cor 15:1-5 and he does not add water baptism to it.

So clearly water baptism is not part of the saving gospel.

Some may say, "well why did they water baptize in Acts?" Well, if you study it the early Jewish Christians were still under the law for a while and struggling with it as we see in Acts 15 and 21. They were still going to the temple right from Acts 2 to 21 and on, and still zealous of the law and offering animals sacrifices etc. Water baptism was part of the diverse washings under the law with John and they still followed this as well. But Paul going to the gentiles did not want to bring them under the law that was [part of the old covenant and was fading away ready to vanish ( Hebrews 8) and then to bring them out of it again, that wouldn't make sense. The Gentiles weren't under the law or coming out of it as Acts 15 and 21 speak of.

This element of the Jewish church zealous for the law and the gentiles coming in is not seen by many.

But yet some will still say, "wait a minute, Peter in Acst 10 wen preaching to the Gentiles and Cornelius was the main figure, told them to be water baptized, he commanded it". Yes, Peter at first did not want to go to the Gentiles or to eat with them. But God corrected him, this was way after Jesus gave the great commission in Matthew and Mark. Peter saw that they were already saved and spoke with tongues, and then in a questioning form asked who can forbid water. But when Peter was baptizing them or even after he remembered the words of the Lord ( as we read in Acts 11) how that John baptized with water but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost, Why did Jesus remind him of this. I believe because the Gentiles do not have to be baptized with water, ( nor do the Jews now either). Peter was still under the law and following the customs of the Jews which when a Gentile was converted had to be dunked under water and circumcised. This was the Halakah law of the Jews way before Jesus came on the scene. We see the second part of this oral tradition in Acts 15 when they wanted to circumcise the gGentiles also to be saved.

But God seems to be showing Peter that they were already saved and filled with the Spirit before any outward washing. Peter later came to see that the saving baptism is not the putting away of the filth of the flesh but an inward work in the heart and the conscience bearing witness 1 Peter 3:21.

If some still say, well, no they did it n Acts and who cares if they were Jews or Gentles or under the law or not, they dd it so we should still. Well, they also went to the temple and sacrificed animals and circumcised jewish believers, and were zealous of the law and customs and had dietary laws etc, should gentile believers or even Jewish believers do the same today? if they did it in Acts then we should also. But Im sure you would not agree that any should sacrifice animals as they did in Acts 21 many years after Christ death.

Last edited:
Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
its not wrong in itself to be dunked under water , but if men do it for salvation then is is adding works to the gospel, very similar as if a person would add circumcision to the gospel and to be saved as the early church tried to do in Acts 15
so your charging the lord Jesus with commanding works ?after all it is he who commanded his disciples to baptize people in his name . he wasn't speaking of the holy Spirit as men cant do that, only God can do that .

also salvation is made available to us through NO work of our own ..
it is then commanded how we are to have it credited to us . ignore those instructions at your own peril teach others to NOT observe all Jesus taught( direct opposition to his own words ) and be accountable for it .

part of repentance is turning agai from "our own way " but you think your OWN WAY is good enough . and ignore the way HE has said it is to be done and try to reason it away . that is standing on your OWN works instead of acting on belief in HIS works .

faith is the name of an action .. faith is a noun and a verb at the same time always ,inseparable .

if a person says they believe in what Jesus says, but they then do Do what he says ..it displays they have no faith that what he says is true .

I will preach repent ..and be baptized for the remission of your sin and you will receive the holy Spirit of promise . and i will stand before God accountable to him for doing so . i'm confident peter will not be condemned for preaching thus , nor be accused of preaching works . and nor will i .

you also will give an account before him ..

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so your charging the lord Jesus with commanding works ?after all it is he who commanded his disciples to baptize people in his name . he wasn't speaking of the holy Spirit as men cant do that, only God can do that .

Where did Jesus command water baptism in the new testament? Show me the word "WATER" in your answer. For we know that there are many baptisms in scripture, yet only one saving baptism, and the saving baptism is not water, but by one Spirit into one Body. It is the immersion or baptism into Christ. Where we put on Christ, and are immersed in him, like putting on a garment.

When Jesus meant water baptism he said so as in Acts 1 when he said that John indeed baptized with water, but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. The baptism of John was for repentance, Not salvation and was past,

So i think it is you who charge the Lord for adding works to the gospel, and not he himself.

By grace are ye saved through faith not of works, and not by works of righteousness which we have done.

The Jewish believers in Acts were still under the law and old testament diverse washings and carnal ordinances that were IMPOSED upon them ( not gentiles) until the time of reformation. They went into the temple sacrificed and circumcised and were zealous of the law and customs, for many many many years, read acts 15 and 21.

also salvation is made available to us through NO work of our own ..

I never said it was a work of our own. All have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us. We must believe the gospel. He gives life and Christ dwells in our hearts by faith, then it is his grace that saves us and gives the new birth. As we abide in Christ and continue in the faith and grace we continue in the life and abiding in the light as we do.

it is then commanded how we are to have it credited to us . ignore those instructions at your own peril teach others to NOT observe all Jesus taught( direct opposition to his own words ) and be accountable for it .

I do not ignore jesus teachings or commands. It is you and some others that add to his words and make works salvation.

part of repentance is turning agai from "our own way " but you think your OWN WAY is good enough .

I never said my own way is good enough. Take heed you will give an account for every idle word and every false accusation. You should be trembling in your words here and not accuse me falsely. Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life.

I will preach repent ..and be baptized for the remission of your sin and you will receive the holy Spirit of promise .

Well, you will be in trouble there because you forgot the main part, "in the name of Jesus Christ". To be immersed or baptized into a name, is to be in the character life, power, authority, attributes of that name.

i'm confident peter will not be condemned for preaching thus , nor be accused of preaching works . and nor will i .

I didn't say Peter was condemned for that. he said the right words, its how you understand them. Also peter and the jewish believers, ( thousands of them) were still under the law and the old covenant was slowly fading away ready to vanish (Hebrews 8) it had not done so yet. This is the chief error many make they do not see the jewish believers struggle and the gentiles difference.

Also we see peter even arguing with God about eating unclean animals, in Acts 10, But God rebuked him and said don't call unclean what he cleaned. Paul had to rebuke peter because the very truth of the gospel was at stake in galatians 2.

Paul said in Galatians 2 that Peter had the gospel to the circumcision and Paul had the gospel to the uncircumcision. What do you think the difference is?

consider and then comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where did Jesus command water baptism in the new testament? Show me the word "WATER" in your answer. For we know that there are many baptisms in scripture, yet only one saving baptism, and the saving baptism is not water, but by one Spirit into one Body. It is the immersion or baptism into Christ. Where we put on Christ, and are immersed in him, like putting on a garment.

When Jesus meant water baptism he said so as in Acts 1 when he said that John indeed baptized with water, but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. The baptism of John was for repentance, Not salvation and was past,

So i think it is you who charge the Lord for adding works to the gospel, and not he himself.

By grace are ye saved through faith not of works, and not by works of righteousness which we have done.

The Jewish believers in Acts were still under the law and old testament diverse washings and carnal ordinances that were IMPOSED upon them ( not gentiles) until the time of reformation. They went into the temple sacrificed and circumcised and were zealous of the law and customs, for many many many years, read acts 15 and 21.

I never said it was a work of our own. All have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us. We must believe the gospel. He gives life and Christ dwells in our hearts by faith, then it is his grace that saves us and gives the new birth. As we abide in Christ and continue in the faith and grace we continue in the life and abiding in the light as we do.

I do not ignore jesus teachings or commands. It is you and some others that add to his words and make works salvation.

I never said my own way is good enough. Take heed you will give an account for every idle word and every false accusation. You should be trembling in your words here and not accuse me falsely. Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life.

Well, you will be in trouble there because you forgot the main part, "in the name of Jesus Christ". To be immersed or baptized into a name, is to be in the character life, power, authority, attributes of that name.

I didn't say Peter was condemned for that. he said the right words, its how you understand them. Also peter and the jewish believers, ( thousands of them) were still under the law and the old covenant was slowly fading away ready to vanish (Hebrews 8) it had not done so yet. This is the chief error many make they do not see the jewish believers struggle and the gentiles difference.

Also we see peter even arguing with God about eating unclean animals, in Acts 10, But God rebuked him and said don't call unclean what he cleaned. Paul had to rebuke peter because the very truth of the gospel was at stake in galatians 2.

Paul said in Galatians 2 that Peter had the gospel to the circumcision and Paul had the gospel to the uncircumcision. What do you think the difference is?

consider and then comment.
As i said..i will
Preach word for word what the scripture states.and give account to God for it.
You will account for preaching to ignore scripture.

you say the word water is not used by jesus. ..nor is it so when he is baptized by john..making it the most rediculous argument against the lord commanding his diciples to baptise people in his name.
Since only God can baptize in the holy Spirit.we know its not spirit baptism he speaks if. Obviously.

Now back to that question.. would you take part in a seance ? Uf not..why not?

(Yes its a leading question on its way to making a point... )

• Agree
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Philip.Lee

Nov 24, 2016
Australia
✟15,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

I realize this particular subforum is far less frequented than others, but being that we here tend to follow the New Testament pattern more closely than others in practice, i.e. house churches, I thought I would ask this question here.

I have a pretty extensive research thread on the topic going in the Spirit-filled forum titled "My view on water baptism" for a greater explanation of what I'm asking and the thread is no where complete.

Okay, so what are particular views here on water baptism?

Is it a sacrament that imparts grace?

Is it an ordinance that is merely meant to be done at some point in the believers life?

I ask this in all seriousness, not as a means to divide us.

You see, reading the scriptures that say "baptism... now saves you... through the resurrection of Jesus... (1 Peter 3:21)" or "those who have baptized into Christ have put on Christ (Gal 3:27)" or "repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of sin (Acts 2:38)" or many more... it seems that the modern church has lost it's way on the practice.

For instance, I don't see a single "sinner's prayer" or "altar call" in the book of Acts, but when someone wants to follow Jesus they are baptized immediately or as soon as possible.

Please someone speak to me on this in a way that doesn't sound condescending. All the feedback I'm getting from others is that I'm practicing heresy by saying I feel baptism is necessary to salvation. But this thing is consuming me really, I feel a fire within myself on this topic. Just want to see what everyone here believes on the topic.

Is baptism a sacrament or an ordinance? Or other (please explain)
The bible says that baptism washes away sins in Acts 22:16 it also says that baptism is dying and rising with Christ in Romans 6:3-11 so baptism ought to be received and it is more than something merely meant to be done.

• Winner
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As i said..i will
Preach word for word what the scripture states.and give account to God for it.
You will account for preaching to ignore scripture.

you say the word water is not used by jesus. ..nor is it so when he is baptized by john..making it the most rediculous argument against the lord commanding his diciples to baptise people in his name.
Since only God can baptize in the holy Spirit.we know its not spirit baptism he speaks if. Obviously.

Now back to that question.. would you take part in a seance ? Uf not..why not?

(Yes its a leading question on its way to making a point... )
show me any command of JESUS for water baptism in the New testament for the new covenant

Paul said Christ sent him not to baptism but to preach the gospel, showing that water baptism is not part of the gospel for salvation, read 1 Cor 15 :1-5 and consider, before you attack a man of God in the future and accuse him falsely

Acts 2:38 is used by some of the cults to say water baptism saves and that you are not saved uno;less you are water baptized

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible says that baptism washes away sins in Acts 22:16 it also says that baptism is dying and rising with Christ in Romans 6:3-11 so baptism ought to be received and it is more than something merely meant to be done.
he washed us from our sins in his own blood

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip.Lee

Nov 24, 2016
Australia
✟15,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
he washed us from our sins in his own blood
he bible says Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name. in Acts 22:16. In Acts 20:28 the bible says Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. The two statements complement one another.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
he bible says Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name. in Acts 22:16. In Acts 20:28 the bible says Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. The two statements complement one another.

Revelation 1:5
And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

and the Jews were still under the diverse washings of hebrews 9 and types and animals sacrifices, they had outward types of spiritual truth But the washing is in the blood of Jesus not water

The one baptism , and the one baptism that saves is the one that all believers have and that is by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body 1 Cor 12:13 and as many as have been baptized INTO CHRIST ( not into water) have put on Christ Galatians 3

the saving gospel is 1 Cor 15:1-5 no water added, sorry if you add water baptism or circumcision or the Mosaic law or sabbaths etc you make another gospel and are cursed as paul said in Galatians 1

Upvote 0

Philip.Lee

Nov 24, 2016
Australia
✟15,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:5
And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

and the Jews were still under the diverse washings of hebrews 9 and types and animals sacrifices, they had outward types of spiritual truth But the washing is in the blood of Jesus not water

The one baptism , and the one baptism that saves is the one that all believers have and that is by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body 1 Cor 12:13 and as many as have been baptized INTO CHRIST ( not into water) have put on Christ Galatians 3

the saving gospel is 1 Cor 15:1-5 no water added, sorry if you add water baptism or circumcision or the Mosaic law or sabbaths etc you make another gospel and are cursed as paul said in Galatians 1
You know what? There isn't a contradiction between being baptised and receiving the Holy Spirit. The one leads to the other. Baptism is the means by which God comes to a person seeking him. That's why the bible says Do you not know that those of us who have been baptized in Christ Jesus have been baptized into his death? For through baptism we have been buried with him into death, so that, in the manner that Christ rose from the dead, by the glory of the Father, so may we also walk in the newness of life. For if we have been planted together, in the likeness of his death, so shall we also be, in the likeness of his resurrection. For we know this: that our former selves have been crucified together with him, so that the body which is of sin may be destroyed, and moreover, so that we may no longer serve sin. For he who has died has been justified from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live together with Christ. For we know that Christ, in rising up from the dead, can no longer die: death no longer has dominion over him. For in as much as he died for sin, he died once. But in as much as he lives, he lives for God. And so, you should consider yourselves to be certainly dead to sin, and to be living for God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:3-11

And it is also why the bible says For just as the body is one, and yet has many parts, so all the parts of the body, though they are many, are only one body. So also is Christ. And indeed, in one Spirit, we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether servant or free. And we all drank in the one Spirit. For the body, too, is not one part, but many. 1 Corinthians 12:12-14

We're baptised into Christ. That's what baptism means. It looks like you're thinking that baptism means two different things something that happens with water that doesn't matter much and something that happens with the Holy Spirit that is essential. But there's no biblical reason to have two meanings for baptism. Baptism is the means by which the Holy Spirit comes to the person seeking God. It's like cleanliness comes to the person seeking it by washing. Washing is the means by which one becomes clean.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
show me any command of JESUS for water baptism in the New testament for the new covenant

Paul said Christ sent him not to baptism but to preach the gospel, showing that water baptism is not part of the gospel for salvation, read 1 Cor 15 :1-5 and consider, before you attack a man of God in the future and accuse him falsely

Acts 2:38 is used by some of the cults to say water baptism saves and that you are not saved uno;less you are water baptized
Read...again. we know thst no man can baptise any one in the holy Ghost.only God can.
so we know when he told them (after his ressurection ie new covenant) to baptise in his name..he is obviosly not speaking of the spirit. But of water.
exceop a man be born of water and of the spirit (referring to being born again .) Also when jesus told john to baptise him he did not use thd word water.yet john went right ahead and dunked him in the water.
so again .your argument against the words of the lord Jesus is a very rediculous one.
Also baptism is not a work of the law there is no baptism for remisson of sin in law. Also one does not baptise themself thus no works are done.
also paul preached "for you were buried with christ in baptism.

Its plain in scripture that it is both written and practised. Jesus said if you love me you will keep my word. But you desire to cancell part of his word..you say yes but yes but he didnt mean what he said. You teach men to disobey God.
you need repent of that.
he means exactly what he said.
so his word or yours. I will take his..he cant lie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it a sacrament that imparts grace?
You will have to define sacrament.
An online dictionary says "a visible sign of an inward grace", so by that definition it must do.
Simon the Sorceror (Acts 8:13-21) got baptised because he believed, but his desires were wrong so it may not be a sign that the person is in touch with the grace of God.
Also, some people get baptised because they believe in the "Jesus" of their church which may not be the grace-filled Jesus of the bible (2 Cor. 11v4). Bible baptism (burial) should go mand-in-hand with calling on God to receive the New Life, His Spirit, many "established" churches don't see this, it's words-only, no faioth in God to give his Spirit as detailed in Acts (2v4, 33; 10:44-48 etc).

Is it an ordinance that is merely meant to be done at some point in the believers life?

I ask this in all seriousness, not as a means to divide us.

You see, reading the scriptures that say "baptism... now saves you... through the resurrection of Jesus... (1 Peter 3:21)" or "those who have baptized into Christ have put on Christ (Gal 3:27)" or "repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of sin (Acts 2:38)" or many more... it seems that the modern church has lost it's way on the practice.

For instance, I don't see a single "sinner's prayer" or "altar call" in the book of Acts, but when someone wants to follow Jesus they are baptized immediately or as soon as possible.
Correct in all you have said. People that don't command baptism to people seeking salvation, or those that substitute a man-made prayer* have already broken the unity of the Spirit and formed their own "churches", if you hold to what God has shown you you have now found it.

* often loosely based on Romans 10:9 which is written to people that had already been baptised and spirit-filled, only those people can truly confess and believe in Jesus because only they can understand what he is saying!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know what? There isn't a contradiction between being baptised and receiving the Holy Spirit. The one leads to the other. Baptism is the means by which God comes to a person seeking him. That's why the bible says Do you not know that those of us who have been baptized in Christ Jesus have been baptized into his death? For through baptism we have been buried with him into death, so that, in the manner that Christ rose from the dead, by the glory of the Father, so may we also walk in the newness of life. For if we have been planted together, in the likeness of his death, so shall we also be, in the likeness of his resurrection. For we know this: that our former selves have been crucified together with him, so that the body which is of sin may be destroyed, and moreover, so that we may no longer serve sin. For he who has died has been justified from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live together with Christ. For we know that Christ, in rising up from the dead, can no longer die: death no longer has dominion over him. For in as much as he died for sin, he died once. But in as much as he lives, he lives for God. And so, you should consider yourselves to be certainly dead to sin, and to be living for God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:3-11

And it is also why the bible says For just as the body is one, and yet has many parts, so all the parts of the body, though they are many, are only one body. So also is Christ. And indeed, in one Spirit, we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether servant or free. And we all drank in the one Spirit. For the body, too, is not one part, but many. 1 Corinthians 12:12-14

We're baptised into Christ. That's what baptism means. It looks like you're thinking that baptism means two different things something that happens with water that doesn't matter much and something that happens with the Holy Spirit that is essential. But there's no biblical reason to have two meanings for baptism. Baptism is the means by which the Holy Spirit comes to the person seeking God. It's like cleanliness comes to the person seeking it by washing. Washing is the means by which one becomes clean.
The diverse washings (baptismos in Greek) and carnal ordinances of hebrews 9 could not make him that did the service perfect as pertaining to the conscience, but the faith in the blood through the eternal Sprit purges your conscience ( inward0 Hebrews 9 again

So when Peter says that the saving baptism is 'not the putting away of the filth of the flesh ( or a washing of dirt from the body, or any outward cleansing) it is the answer of a good conscience by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Inwardly our conscience also bears witness in the Holy Ghost. We have a full assurance of hope, were as the Ot saints had to have sacrifices and washings and carnal ordinances because the reality had not come yet and they did not have the knowledge of how this was. The word "conscience" meaning, with knowledge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... Inwardly our conscience also bears witness in the Holy Ghost ...
"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God" (Romans 8:15-16, see also Galatians 4:6)
- a reference to God's independent witness of speaking in tongues - that's how the early Christians were able to say precisely when people received God's (invisible) Spirit - see Acts 2:4, 33; 10:44-48 etc.

This is not me presuming to call God my Father with my spirit.
"If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true." (John 5:31)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

actually the verse you use from Paul is not saying any such thing..you plucked it out to use it that way . ans some cults say that do they ... which one ?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
actually the verse you use from Paul is not saying any such thing..you plucked it out to use it that way . ans some cults say that do they ... which one ?
Yes it does say that Christ did not send Paul to water baptize but to preach the gospel. This shows that the gospel and water baptism are not the same and water baptism was not part of the saving gospel. Read 1 Cor 15 and see that Paul had to define the very gospel again for them, and he showed the same Corinthian church what the saving "one" baptism was that all had to have. That was 1 Cor 12;13 KJV, into Christ or into the body of Christ by the Spirit.

Paul was primarily the apostle to the Gentiles and he was not bringing them under the law as the Jews still were struggling with and then have to bring them back out. The many thousands of jewish believers were all under the law and zealous of the law and customs and sacrificing animals all through Acts right till the end, I would guess even until the destruction of the temple. Read this in Acts 21 and Acts 15 etc.

If some say , "well, they did something in Acts so we must do it also". This is not having understanding, for they also sacrificed animals and circumcised and went to the Temple and kept the law zealously and dietary laws and customs of the jews etc. Are gentle believers suppose to do this also, just because the Christian Jewish believers did in Acts?

No the old covenant was fading away ready to vanish (Hebrews 8) and the diverse washings and carnal ordinances were imposed upon them until the time of reformation. (Hebrews 9) This diverse washings (bapitismos in Greek) Covers all such outward washings under the law. Johns water baptism was also under the law and had to fade away as well as all the carnal ordinances.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Read...again. we know thst no man can baptise any one in the holy Ghost.only God can.
so we know when he told them (after his ressurection ie new covenant) to baptise in his name..he is obviosly not speaking of the spirit. But of water.
exceop a man be born of water and of the spirit (referring to being born again .) Also when jesus told john to baptise him he did not use thd word water.yet john went right ahead and dunked him in the water.
so again .your argument against the words of the lord Jesus is a very rediculous one.
Also baptism is not a work of the law there is no baptism for remisson of sin in law. Also one does not baptise themself thus no works are done.
also paul preached "for you were buried with christ in baptism.

Its plain in scripture that it is both written and practised. Jesus said if you love me you will keep my word. But you desire to cancell part of his word..you say yes but yes but he didnt mean what he said. You teach men to disobey God.
you need repent of that.
he means exactly what he said.
so his word or yours. I will take his..he cant lie.
In the name, means in the character or power life etc of that name.

The name of the Lord is a strong tower the righteous run into it and are safe. Jesus kept them in the name of the Father while on earth etc etc etc.

Upvote 0