concensus view on water baptism

What is the importance of water baptism?

• It is a sacrament that imparts grace

• It is an ordinance that should be done eventually

• Baptism isn't necessary ever

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

stealth saint

Mar 15, 2014
Kelowna, British Colmbia, Canada
✟8,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“Name”: Strong’s # G3686 used 229 times in N T “authority and character”

Jn 17:11 And I am no longer in the world; yet they are in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, which You have given to Me, that they may be one even as We are. Here we see keep them “IN” Your “name” ABIDING is modelled

Jn 17:12 When I was with them, I kept them in Your name, which You have given to Me, and I guarded them; and not one of them perished, except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. Again ABIDING with them

Baptised into the “name” of Father and Son and Holy Spirit references into “authority and character” I suggest “the ““keep” and “kept” them” references the close abiding for purposes of discipling them unto growth in authority and character, to “go” do the same in the same “name”. Go in the “spirit of truth” having received “name” and it’s anointing power that flows through Lord’s character of LOVE

Elijha transferred “the mantle to Elisha, who never left Elijas’ side until mantle transfer “abiding”. Elisha did the greater works. JesUS said “Elijah has come referencing Himself and “US” as made in same likeness and image to do greater works. The “condition of the “US” in Jes”US” is OUR surrender to obey the One who teaches. The Teacher is the “same today as yesterday”. He is OUR Lord’s Spirit the “S”pirit “WORD” becoming flesh, HIS Power has “come upon” those lords, who are faithful and true in character of LOVE. Truth is power to set free. Abide in Me and I will abide in you.

God is love We are baptised into His character of love. ONLY out of obedience can love flow. John 14:15,15:14. abiding in same "name" power of authority and character of LOVE to do greater works.

A body of many parts OF same authority and character, by pure multiplication, brings greater number of works. When WE include OUR calling to "restore all things" the GREATER WORKS manifest to the whole world,

Jn 15:9 As the Father has loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.

Jn 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. See Jhn 14:15, 15:14 conditions of LOVE. The NEW testament is NOW the “NOW TESTAMENT”

I fear I may not fit in to this forum because of the length of these responses reply with simple YES 2 MUCH or NOT 2 MUCH After participating for a bit and my positioning of thought is established dialogue will be short and to the point for short answers. We can always hope “again too much!!??

Upvote 0

stealth saint

Mar 15, 2014
✟8,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
oh what a lot of rubbish..you'll say anything to oppose the obvious word of God.
name means name
baptism means dip in water

Jn 17:11 And I am no longer in the world; yet they are in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, which You have given to Me, that they may be one even as We are. Here we see keep them “IN” Your “name” ABIDING is modelled

Jn 17:12 When I was with them, I kept them in Your name, which You have given to Me, and I guarded them; and not one of them perished, except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. Again ABIDING with them

Baptised into the “name” of Father and Son and Holy Spirit references into “authority and character” I suggest “the ““keep” and “kept” them” references the close abiding for purposes of discipling them unto growth in authority and character, to “go” do the same in the same “name”. Go in the “spirit of truth” having received “name” and it’s anointing power that flows through Lord’s character of LOVE

Elijha transferred “the mantle to Elisha, who never left Elijas’ side until mantle transfer “abiding”. Elisha did the greater works. JesUS said “Elijah has come referencing Himself and “US” as made in same likeness and image to do greater works. The “condition of the “US” in Jes”US” is OUR surrender to obey the One who teaches. The Teacher is the “same today as yesterday”. He is OUR Lord’s Spirit the “S”pirit “WORD” becoming flesh, HIS Power has “come upon” those lords, who are faithful and true in character of LOVE. Truth is power to set free. Abide in Me and I will abide in you.

God is love We are baptised into His character of love. ONLY out of obedience can love flow. John 14:15,15:14. abiding in same "name" power of authority and character of LOVE to do greater works.

A body of many parts OF same authority and character, by pure multiplication, brings greater number of works. When WE include OUR calling to "restore all things" the GREATER WORKS manifest to the whole world,

Jn 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. See Jhn 14:15, 15:14 conditions of LOVE. The NEW testament is NOW the “NOW TESTAMENT”

I fear I may not fit in to this forum because of the length of these responses reply with simple YES 2 MUCH or NOT 2 MUCH After participating for a bit and my positioning of thought is established dialogue will be short and to the point for short answers. We can always hope “again too much!!??

Upvote 0

stealth saint

Mar 15, 2014
✟8,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You obviously did not read my response to the bottom or your reply would of included "YES TOO MUCH"

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
not sure what the point is.
it detracts nothing at all that we are to be baptised into jesus through water and spirit.
those who oppose either,oppose the will of God.
dissecting things so much they become ambiguiously meaningless is straining
for gnats

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
We know that Jesus said ....after speaking about eating of his flesh, that these words I speak to you are spirit and life.

There are 3 that testify on earth and three in heaven.

So spiritually speaking they believed the words and were Baptized.
And earthly speaking they were baptized in water.

Thats one take
For it is the word that has the cleansing effect...the washing of water by the word....
Also.....take another note of the water that showed he was dead...when they pierced him in the side....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Much truth..is written here according to ....love
I wrote a poem I will share...when I find it on face book

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We know that Jesus said ....after speaking about eating of his flesh, that these words I speak to you are spirit and life.

Thats one take
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-16-04-09-31.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-16-04-09-31.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2017-04-16-04-42-21.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-16-04-42-21.png
    417.1 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

stealth saint

Mar 15, 2014
✟8,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am not one to get into debate over the common or literal use of words, it is the deeper meaning of the word in context Baptised into "into" the "name" has a deeper meaning than his name is stealthsaint. There is 100 different assumptions on what it means pick any one makes no difference to me. It is written One body, one faith baptism Water, Holy Spirit baptism of Lord's Spirit, OR as JesUS modelled the two together.
John's baptism was water for forgiveness of those he prepared for the coming of JesUS, JesUS' blood was the universal forgiveness for those coming into KINGdom. to me the scripture is clear as to the "ONE" baptism is referenced. "Holy Spirit coming upon as a Dove" is where the power comes from. water has no power to overcome the wilderness we are born into as the power of Holy Spirit helped Jes"US" come out "in Power of Holy Spirit" from the wilderness He was led into. I thankyou for your comments we have different thoughts "i am" OK with that. I conclude further dialogue on this matter. Peace of our Lord be with you brother in OUR Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stealth saint

Mar 15, 2014
✟8,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am not one to get into debate over the common or literal use of words, it is the deeper meaning of the word in context Baptised into "into" the "name" has a deeper meaning than his name is stealthsaint. There is 100 different assumptions on what it means pick any one makes no difference to me. It is written One body, one faith baptism Water, Holy Spirit baptism of Lord's Spirit, OR as JesUS modelled the two together.
John's baptism was water for forgiveness of those he prepared for the coming of JesUS, JesUS' blood was the universal forgiveness for those coming into KINGdom. to me the scripture is clear as to the "ONE" baptism is referenced. "Holy Spirit coming upon as a Dove" is where the power comes from. water has no power to overcome the wilderness we are born into as the power of Holy Spirit helped Jes"US" come out "in Power of Holy Spirit" from the wilderness He was led into. I thankyou for your comments we have different thoughts "i am" OK with that. I conclude further dialogue on this matter. Peace of our Lord be with you brother in OUR Lord.

Upvote 0

stealth saint

Mar 15, 2014
✟8,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thats one take
For it is the word that has the cleansing effect...the washing of water by the word....
Also.....take another note of the water that showed he was dead...when they pierced him in the side....
Matthew 26:28 For this is My blood of the covenant, which is being poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. <> <> Universal forgiveness where the power of sin was defeated and the transfer of authority is established with all those that accept JesUS as Lord.T again hearld the coming of Lord "JesUS come" preparing the land by overcoming darkness with light KINGdom

Mark 1:4 John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for forgiveness of sins. <> <> was to hearld the coming of JesUS
<> <> BOTH baptisms have purpose. The disciples the disciples were following the tradition established by John. Jes"US" clearly modeled the two are necessary. One is dunk the other we drink. We eat the Word = SPIRIT(became flesh) and drink the wine for the flow of GOD who IS LOVE Flow of Holy Spirit. The flow of LOVE of Holy Spirit poured into our heart and must be taken in with the Word to give utterance from OUR Lord words of life/light . Baptism is about communion/ fellowship in the deeds of grace manifested through the resurrection life released from within.

STRONG"S # ש 8034 A primitive word (perhaps rather from H7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; compare H8064); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character: - + base, [in-] fame [-ous], name (-d), renown, report.
Total KJV occurrences: 865

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 26:28 For this is My blood of the covenant, which is being poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. <> <> Universal forgiveness where the power of sin was defeated and the transfer of authority is established with all those that accept JesUS as Lord.T again hearld the coming of Lord "JesUS come" preparing the land by overcoming darkness with light KINGdom

Mark 1:4 John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for forgiveness of sins. <> <> was to hearld the coming of JesUS
<> <> BOTH baptisms have purpose. The disciples the disciples were following the tradition established by John. Jes"US" clearly modeled the two are necessary. One is dunk the other we drink. We eat the Word = SPIRIT(became flesh) and drink the wine for the flow of GOD who IS LOVE Flow of Holy Spirit. The flow of LOVE of Holy Spirit poured into our heart and must be taken in with the Word to give utterance from OUR Lord words of life/light . Baptism is about communion/ fellowship in the deeds of grace manifested through the resurrection life released from within.

STRONG"S # ש 8034 A primitive word (perhaps rather from H7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; compare H8064); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character: - + base, [in-] fame [-ous], name (-d), renown, report.
Total KJV occurrences: 865
There is no such thing as universal forgivness (i may have misunderstood what you mean by that phrase)
But Jesus said repentance for the forgiveness of sin is to be preached.
And the Gospel is the power to save .but only those who believe are obedient to the message.the obedience is evidence of true belief.

Upvote 0

stealthsaint

NIGHTHAWK 777
Jul 30, 2010
Kelowna: British Columbia
✟12,019.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no such thing as universal forgivness (i may have misunderstood what you mean by that phrase)
But Jesus said repentance for the forgiveness of sin is to be preached.
And the Gospel is the power to save .but only those who believe are obedient to the message.the obedience is evidence of true belief.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1J 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for those of the "whole" world.
"whole"
The Lord Jesus is a sacrifice for propitiation, not only for our sins but also for those of the whole world. However, this propitiation is conditioned on man’s receiving the Lord by believing in Him. (Believe =trust and obey, or the wrath of God will be upon them Jn 3:36 ) The unbelievers do not experience its efficacy, not because it has any fault but because they do not believe. Universal is not a word used in this passage in my Bible of choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1J 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for those of the "whole" world.
"whole"
The Lord Jesus is a sacrifice for propitiation, not only for our sins but also for those of the whole world. However, this propitiation is conditioned on man’s receiving the Lord by believing in Him. (Believe =trust and obey, or the wrath of God will be upon them Jn 3:36 ) The unbelievers do not experience its efficacy, not because it has any fault but because they do not believe. Universal is not a word used in this passage in my Bible of choice.
Again ..not without repentance.. The forgiveness of sin is available to all
But it is only granted to the repentant.
Those that continue in sin will perish in their sin

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

I realize this particular subforum is far less frequented than others, but being that we here tend to follow the New Testament pattern more closely than others in practice, i.e. house churches, I thought I would ask this question here.

I have a pretty extensive research thread on the topic going in the Spirit-filled forum titled "My view on water baptism" for a greater explanation of what I'm asking and the thread is no where complete.

Okay, so what are particular views here on water baptism?

Is it a sacrament that imparts grace?

Is it an ordinance that is merely meant to be done at some point in the believers life?

I ask this in all seriousness, not as a means to divide us.

You see, reading the scriptures that say "baptism... now saves you... through the resurrection of Jesus... (1 Peter 3:21)" or "those who have baptized into Christ have put on Christ (Gal 3:27)" or "repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of sin (Acts 2:38)" or many more... it seems that the modern church has lost it's way on the practice.

For instance, I don't see a single "sinner's prayer" or "altar call" in the book of Acts, but when someone wants to follow Jesus they are baptized immediately or as soon as possible.

Please someone speak to me on this in a way that doesn't sound condescending. All the feedback I'm getting from others is that I'm practicing heresy by saying I feel baptism is necessary to salvation. But this thing is consuming me really, I feel a fire within myself on this topic. Just want to see what everyone here believes on the topic.

Is baptism a sacrament or an ordinance? Or other (please explain)

I feel it's a little of both. While I can't go as far as to say baptism is necessary to salvation (i.e. a deathbed conversion), I'd be a bit skeptical of a Christian who wasn't baptized. My view is pretty close to yours in practice, though. What you're professing here is what I hear in my cousin's Church of Christ, and that has influenced my own views closer to your direction.

• Agree
Reactions: stealthsaint
Upvote 0

stealthsaint

NIGHTHAWK 777
Jul 30, 2010
✟12,019.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I feel it's a little of both. While I can't go as far as to say baptism is necessary to salvation (i.e. a deathbed conversion), I'd be a bit skeptical of a Christian who wasn't baptized. My view is pretty close to yours in practice, though. What you're professing here is what I hear in my cousin's Church of Christ, and that has influenced my own views closer to your direction.
I was born into a family of Mormons (generations of Mormons) I was baptized into the cult at 12 as is the custom. fast forward to 1989, (born 1947) and Lord touched me with His Spirit. I made the confession to ask Him into my life. It rose up in me to be baptised again. It was if I was pregnant and could not give birth soon enough. I wanted to get baptised in August but had friends who wanted to come from a ways away and asked to have it on the long weekend in September. It was given to me by Lord I needed a spiritual correction.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was born into a family of Mormons (generations of Mormons) I was baptized into the cult at 12 as is the custom. fast forward to 1989, (born 1947) and Lord touched me with His Spirit. I made the confession to ask Him into my life. It rose up in me to be baptised again. It was if I was pregnant and could not give birth soon enough. I wanted to get baptised in August but had friends who wanted to come from a ways away and asked to have it on the long weekend in September. It was given to me by Lord I needed a spiritual correction.

I can't find any fault in that! In general, I'm not one to call for a rebaptism; your case might be an exception to the rule.

Upvote 0

stealthsaint

NIGHTHAWK 777
Jul 30, 2010
✟12,019.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't find any fault in that! In general, I'm not one to call for a rebaptism; your case might be an exception to the rule.
I never continued in attending Mormon church after age 16. 1963. was re-baptised in 1989.
I gave testimony of how my body was reacting to the need. Baptism is a serious matter and and one may be under deception that baptism into a cult, not Christ focused, is an issue. Baptism is a "spiritual matter" with the Spirit or spirit in operation at the ceremony.

Upvote 0