Southeast
✟50,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the choice is "agree to this demand or get fired", it's not a real choice, especially if this practice is so widespread in the industry that there's no job where it isn't used. With so many people in the USA living from hand to mouth, there are plenty of people who can't afford to leave their job and go hunting for a job
If so many in the US are living hand to mouth, how is it there are problems filling jobs?

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I honestly don't want to discuss any further with someone who holds such convictions.
Then just click on my avatar, go to advanced options, and click ignore. I'll do likewise to yours. That is known as a choice.

Correction added via edit:

It's More Options, not Advanced Options.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, it's from last January. I just figured out how to do it, but it made me enter a religion again. I went ahead and just put Judaism again.
I have mine listed as “Deist” because (as a functional atheist) there’s less pushback and I’m not real hept on defending atheism. Having an “absentee God” works just as well for me.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ha! Our JAG lawyer suggested I not be in uniform.
Good advice!
This one’s even betterer!
Mine is from when I got a bit OCD on a Revereware pot and polished it to a mirror finish some time ago.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Good advice!
This one’s even betterer!
Mine is from when I got a bit OCD on a Revereware pot and polished it to a mirror finish some time ago.

Copper?

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,835.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,200.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I worked for a Swiss company based in Vevey, my subordinates would look at my pay stub on my desk and exclaim "boy, you got it made". I told them to divide the number by 130 and not 80. It didn't seem like that much after that.

The job was in the US. The company is Swiss.
You've heard of 9-9-7, In China?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
You've heard of 9-9-7, In China?
I had not but I looked it up. That was close to what I did, 11 hours a day, 6 days a week. It was not a good experience for me. After almost three years there I only had 12 days off for vacation to go to a funeral. I was not disappointed when the job was outsourced to the Philippines in 2018.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,200.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wish I spoke Cantonese.

I am familiar with how Walmart operates, as my daughter likes to remind me, we were a three generation Walmart family.

But the Walmart of the 1970s and 80s is not the same as today.

Your uncle sounds pretty cool, to have lived through those times. Chairman Mao is supposed to be a bad guy in the West, but he took a country that was fractured and used by European powers and united it and turned it from a mostly agrarian society into one of the world's greatest powers.
My walmart info is from someone
who worked there before I was born.

As for my uncle, not so cool. There's
a kind of entitlemen mentality, left i guess
from when govt decided disposed provided
everything.

Plus he did things. They all did crazy
brutal things.
I guess its a " defense mechanism" to
still be spouting Mao, rather than face his
unspeakable crimes.
I had not but I looked it up. That was close to what I did, 11 hours a day, 6 days a week. It was not a good experience for me. After almost three years there I only had 12 days off for vacation to go to a funeral. I was not disappointed when the job was outsourced to the Philippines in 2018.
I guess I can't much identify with that
sort of experience, at least not after I left for
Uni in the USA,
Perhaps the Chinese tiger mom is a
thing you've heard of-?

Uni was a blast! I worked hard but!

Never really had a "job" as such
( see trust fund kid ) though sometimes
I work all nighters through the weekend.

Different life experiences!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good point, let’s raise the Minimum Wage?
All raising the minimum wage does is move the goal posts. The cost of higher wages is passed along to the customer. It's happened with every rise in the minimum wage, and there's no reason to think this time would be an exception.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
All raising the minimum wage does is move the goal posts. The cost of higher wages is passed along to the customer. It's happened with every rise in the minimum wage, and there's no reason to think this time would be an exception.
Yeah but that takes a decade or more.

Yes, eventually the MW would be $1000/hr, but bread will be $200/loaf

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I've seen, it happens much more quickly.
Right, but (and I am NOT (by no means) an economist)), but when banks create money, (fractional reserve banking is a hoot!), that money goes in at the middle and percolates up through the economy to the very tippy-top.

If the money stays at the very tippy-top of the population then eventually it’ll all “be there”.

That’s why the Rich are taxed so heavily after a certain amount of time of relatively “low taxes” for “excessive wealth” (who decides what “excessive wealth” is? This is the bread-and-butter of politics.)
To get the money back to the bottom as quickly as possible before a class war blooms!

Again, I ain’t got no schoolin’ on this topic, but it seems that if the rich don’t start paying up, tomorrow’s “rich man” will be the owner of a pallet of Spam® and an AR-15 to defend it with!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,835.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Right, but (and I am NOT (by no means) an economist)), but when banks create money, (fractional reserve banking is a hoot!), that money goes in at the middle and percolates up through the economy to the very tippy-top.

If the money stays at the very tippy-top of the population then eventually it’ll all “be there”.

That’s why the Rich are taxed so heavily after a certain amount of time of relatively “low taxes” for “excessive wealth” (who decides what “excessive wealth” is? This is the bread-and-butter of politics.)
To get the money back to the bottom as quickly as possible before a class war blooms!

Again, I ain’t got no schoolin’ on this topic, but it seems that if the rich don’t start paying up, tomorrow’s “rich man” will be the owner of a pallet of Spam® and an AR-15 to defend it with!
With the recent advances in AI, there's a good chance that a lot of todays jobs will be a thing of the past in short order. We can do away with artists, writers, actors and anyone that only creates value by pushing buttons on a computer. Widespread euthanasia programs could reduce the number of unworthy humans after their AI replacement and allow the worthy humans who own the rights to the AIs to stay relatively rich enough to satisfy their greed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
With the recent advances in AI, there's a good chance that a lot of todays jobs will be a thing of the past in short order. We can do away with artists, writers, actors and anyone that only creates value by pushing buttons on a computer. Widespread euthanasia programs could reduce the number of unworthy humans after their AI replacement and allow the worthy humans who own the rights to the AIs to stay relatively rich enough to satisfy their greed.
Didn’t Vonnegut write a short story like this?

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Very strange.

Upvote 0