Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What you're talking about is just another one of the many ways people of color (or more accurately, their radical Left political and social groups) use as a way to perpetuate the idea that they are being victimized. All this does is keep blacks, hispanics, etc. in the victim class while keeping white people portrayed as evil. It does nothing to bring healing or unity.

Even if you ignore any racialized aspects of this photo editing, the message in the ad did portray Kap as evil. It described him as "anti-American flag" to an audience who would interpret that as traitorous.

You are correct, I am not. However as a reasonable human being I can come up with reasons someone might perform an action. Are you unable to come up with a reason someone might make the changes to this photo?

I already posted a plausible non-racialized justification for this edit - by desaturating the Kap photo, they cause him to sort of fade into the background and be less significant. When contrasted against the Trump photo that was along side it, the vibrancy of the Trump photo appears to make Trump pop out from the screen and look more exciting. Desaturating a background photo is also pretty common when overlaying text, as was done here.

That doesn't disprove any racialized intent, nor are they mutually exclusive. But it's not as if race is the only possible motivation here.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Even if you ignore any racialized aspects of this photo editing, the message in the ad did portray Kap as evil. It described him as "anti-American flag" to an audience who would interpret that as traitorous.

I already posted a plausible non-racialized justification for this edit - by desaturating the Kap photo, they cause him to sort of fade into the background and be less significant. When contrasted against the Trump photo that was along side it, the vibrancy of the Trump photo appears to make Trump pop out from the screen and look more exciting. Desaturating a background photo is also pretty common when overlaying text, as was done here.

That doesn't disprove any racialized intent, nor are they mutually exclusive. But it's not as if race is the only possible motivation here.[/QUOTE]

All this speculation is an attempt to find some sort of fault on whoever posted it, and is a sign of desperation. Suppose the photo appeared brighter instead of darker. It would then be claimed that someone was attempting to take away his racial identity. However, the many pictures of people on the Right ((Here's an invitation to use the "whataboutism" defense)) that have been altered in order to demean them shows the hypocrisy that the Left will always ignore about themselves.

• Winner
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What you're talking about is just another one of the many ways people of color (or more accurately, their radical Left political and social groups) use as a way to perpetuate the idea that they are being victimized. All this does is keep blacks, hispanics, etc. in the victim class while keeping white people portrayed as evil. It does nothing to bring healing or unity.

Ignoring a wound doesn't heal it either.

Are there people who seem to want to advocate a "victim culture"? Sure. Does that undermine or change the fact that there are systemic abuses against minority groups? No.

So how about instead of pretending that it's either no problems going on, or that everything is a problem; we recognize actual problems, address real problems, and actually work toward some kind of healing.

Want to bemoan the people claiming that eating sushi is "cultural appropriation", go for it. I think that's ridiculous too.

But pretend as though addressing the very real issue of colorism in society is simply perpetuating victimhood, instead of recognizing that these biases actually exist? That's also ridiculous.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ignoring a wound doesn't heal it either.

Are there people who seem to want to advocate a "victim culture"? Sure. Does that undermine or change the fact that there are systemic abuses against minority groups? No.

But bringing up such pathetic examples such as what the subject of this thread is based on seriously diminishes the credibility of those who have been actual victims. The people who keep bringing up these instances are examples of those who are hurting their own cause.

So how about instead of pretending that it's either no problems going on, or that everything is a problem; we recognize actual problems, address real problems, and actually work toward some kind of healing.

Good idea. Recognize that a photo that is slightly different from another example of it is quite low on the list of problems this country faces.

Want to bemoan the people claiming that eating sushi is "cultural appropriation", go for it. I think that's ridiculous too.

But pretend as though addressing the very real issue of colorism in society is simply perpetuating victimhood, instead of recognizing that these biases actually exist? That's also ridiculous.

-CryptoLutheran

"Colorism". I guess the word "racism" has finally worn itself out. I never thought I'd see the day. It took less time for Global Warming to become Climate Change.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"Colorism". I guess the word "racism" has finally worn itself out. I never thought I'd see the day. It took less time for Global Warming to become Climate Change.

Colorism and racism aren't the same thing. It's also not a new term, the word itself goes back 37 years, coined by Alice Walker in The Color Purple; in its original context it refers to discrimination based on skin color within the context of people of the same race; i.e. the context of the African American community. But the issue bleeds well out of the African American community, it addresses, for example, social prejudices against people who are darker.

Yes, lighter-skinned African Americans tend to receive a favorable treatment in society over darker-skinned African Americans. That's Colorism.

It's also not exclusive to black people in America. But affects people of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, in societies around the world; for example in many East Asian societies fairer skin is regarded as preferable than darker skin--this even in spite of the lack of racial or ethnic differences. As such it can often be about socio-economic conditions.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Colorism and racism aren't the same thing. It's also not a new term, the word itself goes back 37 years, coined by Alice Walker in The Color Purple; in its original context it refers to discrimination based on skin color within the context of people of the same race; i.e. the context of the African American community. But the issue bleeds well out of the African American community, it addresses, for example, social prejudices against people who are darker.

Yes, lighter-skinned African Americans tend to receive a favorable treatment in society over darker-skinned African Americans. That's Colorism.

It's also not exclusive to black people in America. But affects people of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, in societies around the world; for example in many East Asian societies fairer skin is regarded as preferable than darker skin--this even in spite of the lack of racial or ethnic differences. As such it can often be about socio-economic conditions.

-CryptoLutheran

Maybe it's their actions rather than their looks. Take a look at who the Los Angeles police have to deal with. Scroll through the pictures and see what color and darkness/lightness they are. Mugshots in the news

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Maybe it's their actions rather than their looks.

And maybe, more often than it should be, it IS about their looks. How many unprovoked killings of black people and other people of color by law enforcement does it take to acknowledge that there is, in fact a problem.

No, not all cops are bad.
No, violence against cops is not okay.

But one doesn't have to be anti-cop to recognize that we are not talking about occasional random instances, but with a deep problem and a systemic injustice against people of color.

I think black people should be allowed to feel just as safe around cops as I do, as a white person.

I've met jerk cops, but never once in my life have I ever felt like my life is in jeopardy when a cop pulled me over or stopped to talk to me. Not even when I was younger and I had friends who said stupid things, said provocative things, and acted stupid around cops.

That shouldn't be a privilege that I get to experience as a white person. That lack of fear, when I've done nothing wrong, about law enforcement is something all Americans should be able to enjoy--it should be a basic right of every American, regardless of who they are, to be able to live free and not have to fear people wearing a badge.

If you don't accept that there is a problem, then frankly I don't think there's anything for us to discuss. If years of this being mentioned in through news cycles, with repeated examples being showcased, with evidence atop of evidence--if none of that can convince you, I very much doubt anything I could say will have any affect.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And maybe, more often than it should be, it IS about their looks.

-CryptoLutheran

If that's the case, then explain to me how it is that even though the city I live in is 92% white while the rest is other than white (just over 1% is black), and yet when I watch the news and see a story about a gas station robbery and then see the security camera footage, the guy is usually black. Same for other violent crimes. Are you going to suggest that when a crime like that takes place, the police just arrest the first black guy they can find and then darken the video in order to make it look like the criminal was black?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If that's the case, then explain to me how it is that even though the city I live in is 92% white while the rest is other than white (just over 1% is black), and yet when I watch the news and see a story about a gas station robbery and then see the security camera footage, the guy is usually black. Same for other violent crimes. Are you going to suggest that when a crime like that takes place, the police just arrest the first black guy they can find and then darken the video in order to make it look like the criminal was black?

Was there anything in my post that suggested that people of color never commit crimes? No? Okay, then I hope you have enjoyed tackling that man of straw you just built. I'm sure it was very satisfying, if completely meaningless and irrelevant.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Was there anything in my post that suggested that people of color never commit crimes? No? Okay, then I hope you have enjoyed tackling that man of straw you just built. I'm sure it was very satisfying, if completely meaningless and irrelevant.

-CryptoLutheran

Inventing a strawman to then project. Nice.
I guess that's one way to avoid answering my questions.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Inventing a strawman to then project. Nice.
I guess that's one way to avoid answering my questions.

I seem to have failed to learn from my previous mistake of engaging your posts, perhaps I'll learn my lesson this time. Enjoy your day.

-CryptoLUtheran

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I seem to have failed to learn from my previous mistake of engaging your posts, perhaps I'll learn my lesson this time. Enjoy your day.

-CryptoLUtheran

As long as you're going to make dishonest accusations and then try to project them onto me rather than simply answer what I asked you, then I hope you learn more lessons than the one you supposedly learned this time.

• Agree
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If that's the case, then explain to me how it is that even though the city I live in is 92% white while the rest is other than white (just over 1% is black), and yet when I watch the news and see a story about a gas station robbery and then see the security camera footage, the guy is usually black. Same for other violent crimes.

Part of that is probably selection bias and confirmation bias. "The news" doesn't portray a representative sample of crimes and what you remember and recognize isn't necessarily even representative of what you see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And maybe, more often than it should be, it IS about their looks. How many unprovoked killings of black people and other people of color by law enforcement does it take to acknowledge that there is, in fact a problem.

Now you're entertaining only one side of it and running with it as if it's the only side to consider. I was attempting to get you to see it from the other side.

But one doesn't have to be anti-cop to recognize that we are not talking about occasional random instances, but with a deep problem and a systemic injustice against people of color.

Watching the news, you're always going to see the occasions where a black guy was shot by a white cop. The differences in their skin color is all it took to make it a news item to fit the same old tired narrative. The part where the black guy was drunk or on drugs, acting irrationally, swinging his fists at the cop or reaching for the cop's gun is usually discovered later.

I think black people should be allowed to feel just as safe around cops as I do, as a white person.

They could if they would stop listening to people who keep trying to convince them that cops are racist and violent. The news media could certainly do their part that way.

I've met jerk cops, but never once in my life have I ever felt like my life is in jeopardy when a cop pulled me over or stopped to talk to me. Not even when I was younger and I had friends who said stupid things, said provocative things, and acted stupid around cops.

Then you must have lived in a safe area, because I've seen plenty of white people end up on the wrong end of a police gun. If a person of any color threatens a cop's life, the cop needs to defend himself.

That shouldn't be a privilege that I get to experience as a white person. That lack of fear, when I've done nothing wrong, about law enforcement is something all Americans should be able to enjoy--it should be a basic right of every American, regardless of who they are, to be able to live free and not have to fear people wearing a badge.

It is, despite what nonwhite people keep being told by those who focus on skin color and believe there is a racist around every corner.

If you don't accept that there is a problem, then frankly I don't think there's anything for us to discuss. If years of this being mentioned in through news cycles, with repeated examples being showcased, with evidence atop of evidence--if none of that can convince you, I very much doubt anything I could say will have any affect.

The problem is very much overblown, which creates a problem of its own--constant division.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Part of that is probably selection bias and confirmation bias. "The news" doesn't portray a representative sample of crimes and what you remember and recognize isn't necessarily even representative of what you see.

No, it's just the part that fits their own narrative.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
With the right info, this could be proven. If kaepernick sued, his attorney could subpoena the file and it could be analyzed. Id love to see the RNC try to explain why they darkened his skin.

Looks like the tone of everything in the photo is darker....

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Inflame peoples anger to push a political message. Kind of like push-poll phone calls.
I agree. But when I look at the Trump part. I see someone , that probably has no clue about the flag or the person.That made it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Unprovoked?

What counts as "provocation" here?

Oh look....we agree.

It looks pretty random to me...and there's been a lot of research that has concluded the same.

That's not to say there aren't instances where the police haven't wrongfully killed black men....they have. There's instances where they wrongfully killed white men as well. There's a cop who was recently convicted of wrongfully killing a white woman.

It's not fun....it's understandably troubling....but it happens. We ask police to make life and death decisions without a moment's notice....so things occasionally go bad.

They are allowed to feel safe around police....they're allowed to feel however they feel, rightly or wrongly.

You probably shouldn't make blanket assumptions about black people....especially how they feel.

Good for you.

That shouldn't be a privilege

That isn't a privilege. That's a response based on your experiences.

that I get to experience as a white person.

There's plenty of white people scared of the police. You probably shouldn't make blanket assumptions about the way an entire race of people feel....even if that race is white people.

That lack of fear, when I've done nothing wrong, about law enforcement is something all Americans should be able to enjoy--it should be a basic right of every American, regardless of who they are, to be able to live free and not have to fear people wearing a badge.

Well...anyone is more than capable of not being afraid of the police, though I wouldn't call it a "right".

If you don't accept that there is a problem, then frankly I don't think there's anything for us to discuss.

If people don't agree with you....you don't want to talk to them. That's a perfect method for creating a bubble for your beliefs.

If years of this being mentioned in through news cycles, with repeated examples being showcased, with evidence atop of evidence--if none of that can convince you, I very much doubt anything I could say will have any affect.

Evidence of what exactly?

I know this narrative about "innocent black men gunned down by the police" was created around the time of Ferguson....and it got a lot of people worked up. Since then, there's a few examples of this every year....but unfortunately, they're buried under a dozen incidents of some criminal shooting at the police and fleeing, pointing a gun or something gun-like at police, fighting against the police, or otherwise involved in some dangerous criminal behavior that gets them shot.

It's not always justified, but it usually is, and it's typically in that grey area where you know that while you have the benefit of hindsight, the cop didn't.

But I digress, I don't want to trouble you with discussing a topic with someone who disagrees with you.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Considering it looks like a change for the worse in terms of image quality, I believe it was intentional. They wanted Kaepernick's tanned arms to look darker.
They wanted all the OWG’s to know that Kap was Black. Personally I think the Afro is a dead giveaway.

Upvote 0