Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's clearly darkened from the original. Now, you tell me exactly how an image gets darkened accidentally. I'm having a difficult time coming up with a reason that isn't nefarious.

Copying the image from one source and pasting it into a document that may use a different format in order to fit the image into the document. Not much different than having a high quality video that you upload to a video sharing service only for that service to downgrade the quality to save space or format it for their service.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You remove patches to remove copyrighted logos, like the NFL logo. You then darken the skin of the football player to make him more sinister. They started with the original digital photo and then went from there. If they started with a poor quality photo, then you would see that reflected in the photo, they did not start with a poor quality photo. They also did not start with a printed photo as printed photos and digital photos are created differently (i.e., it does not bear the CYM tricolor patterning of printed images).

Are you saying people with darker skin look "more sinister"? That's a rather racist statement, especially against black people who have the darkest skin.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Reminds me of how the PC police tried to portray George Zimmerman as lily white.

And Trayvon Martin as a little boy.

• Winner
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And Trayvon Martin as a little boy.

trayvon-zimmerman-web.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The guy who's face partially appears in the upper left corner has darker skin in the "altered" photo too. I wonder if he'll sue as well.

I think it's already been agreed that the entire image was darkened. So I don't understand the point you're making.

-CryptoLutheran

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying people with darker skin look "more sinister"? That's a rather racist statement, especially against black people who have the darkest skin.

Colorism.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Colorism.

-CryptoLutheran

Ah! He's being treated differently based on a photo (or is he?). Good thing that's never been done before. See post #66 for reason for my sarcasm.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it's already been agreed that the entire image was darkened. So I don't understand the point you're making.

-CryptoLutheran

Equal treatment under the photo editor/format change/quality degradation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ah! He's being treated differently based on a photo (or is he?). Good thing that's never been done before. See post #66 for reason for my sarcasm.

I honestly don't know if you undestand the issue and are just trolling, or if you honestly aren't wrapping your head around this.

I brought up colorism because you referred to a post in which dark skin color was perceived as sinister. The reason why darkening an image of Kaepernick, and thus presenting his skin tone as darker than it actually is, is being seen as potentially problematic is because of the history of colorism as it pertains to people of color, especially black people, in this country. There is a history of the "dark skinned n*gro" as a racist trope, to depict darker skinned individuals as sinister.

Is that the purpose for having altered the image of Kaepernick? I don't know. But that is the question (and in some cases accusation) at hand.

It's not that being darker is bad, it's that trying to use dark skin to communicate "this person is bad" is what's wrong.

Is that clear enough? Or do you need more information?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Equal treatment under the photo editor/format change/quality degradation.

Ah, got it. You are trolling. My mistake for engaging your posts.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To get a bit technical - it's not "darkened". If it had been darkened, his shirt wouldn't still be white. It does look somewhat de-saturated or otherwise more muted, though.
I noticed the same thing. In Lightroom and photoshop you can target the tones you want to change. Darken the shadows or lighten the whites, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I noticed the same thing. In Lightroom and photoshop you can target the tones you want to change. Darken the shadows or lighten the whites, etc.

It looks like a photograph of a printed image, though I doubt that’s what it is. If I had to guess, they desaturated it or put some kind of translucent overlay on it to make the text pop and to make the Trump pic pop.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know some conservatives and veterans that have no problem with Kap’s nonviolent expression.

The intelligent ones who aren't ridiculously extreme about patriotism, then.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
View attachment 259342

Original image on left, altered image on right.

-CryptoLutheran
Looking at the white spots in his beard and artifacting in his arm, it appears that the image on the right was scanned, and not fully cleaned up. Hence the source appears to have been a printed image. Printed images will be noticeably darker than their on-screen equivalents.

I can understand the concern, but I really don't think it was darkened to make him look blacker to scare racist people. However, I would not put out an ad supporting the party if it is attacking an American who is neither a criminal nor an opposing candidate.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It was darkened, and the water carriers are trying their best to deny it. This is no different than the racist GOP flyers that had pictures of Obama with Kool-Aid, fried chicken and watermelon. Water carriers will always deny the most racist acts.

Upvote 0