Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does the churches of Christ recognize baptisms from other churches such as Baptists, or must one be baptized according to the church of Christ standards?

It has been my experience that if a person says they were baptize for the remission of sins most will except that baptism. It does not matter where or who does the baptizing.

What about Ephesians 4:4-6 "one"; Romans 12 "one body"; 1 Corinthians 12 "one body"?

If there is only one baptism, and the baptist (or catholic etc etc) church is a man created church not authorized by our Lord aka not of the "one body", wouldn't you need to be baptized again into that body since you were not of that body before but of a different body different baptism?

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about Ephesians 4:4-6 "one"; Romans 12 "one body"; 1 Corinthians 12 "one body"?

If there is only one baptism, and the baptist (or catholic etc etc) church is a man created church not authorized by our Lord aka not of the "one body", wouldn't you need to be baptized again into that body since you were not of that body before but of a different body different baptism?

There different interpretations on what this means in the Church of Christ. There is no such thing as Church of Christ doctrine. The Bible is our doctrine. But one teaching is constant. No one is Baptized into the Christ of Christ. A person is baptized and God adds them to the Church. There is one Church or Body, That is what the Bible teaches. The goal of all Churches of Christ is to be of that one Church and nothing more. The one Church is the saved "called out of God" (Called out is what the word means) No one joins the Church you are added by God. God knows who are his, we do not always have that information of who is in the Church.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no such thing as Church of Christ doctrine. The Bible is our doctrine.

Yes I totally agree

A person is baptized and God adds them to the Church. There is one Church or Body, That is what the Bible teaches. The goal of all Churches of Christ is to be of that one Church and nothing more.

Yes straight from the scripture agreed.

No one joins the Church you are added by God. God knows who are his, we do not always have that information of who is in the Church.

Yes, I do understand that.

However, if you are in a baptist church (I hate to keep picking on just them but for the sake of example), you are learning man made doctrine, you are baptizing into their way of man made ideals.

Would it still be valid considering scripture such as Eph 4:4-6? Namely the parts like "one faith" and/or "one baptism". The baptist church would be of a different "faith" being man made and them baptizing you (learning their ideals on baptism) would be a different baptism right?

I'm just asking questions for my own understanding, I hope no one will be offended. Verses to point me in the direction are very much appreciated to help me understand more. That way I am not just taking anyones word for it but the bibles. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, if you are in a baptist church (I hate to keep picking on just them but for the sake of example), you are learning man made doctrine, you are baptizing into their way of man made ideals.
I agree that the Baptist Church has man made doctrine that goes against the Word of God (Matthew 15:3 and 15:9) but some Churches of Christ also have man made doctrines, Example: The Holy Spirit is just the Bible, There are not many of them but they do exist. Just because they say they are Church of Christ does not mean they are. Also There is a Baptist Church ( I think they call themselves Primitive Baptist who operate just like the Churches of Christ, They Baptize for the remission of sins and are Acappella. A name is not everything.

Would it still be valid considering scripture such as Eph 4:4-6? Namely the parts like "one faith" and/or "one baptism". The baptist church would be of a different "faith" being man made and them baptizing you (learning their ideals on baptism) would be a different baptism right?
I can not speak for all Churches of Christ but for most that would not be a baptism that would be excepted. I also believe that most Baptist Churches are of another faith not because of Baptism but because they change the very nature of God with the Doctrine of "Once saved always saved" I do not think you can change the nature of God and still be of the same faith.

I'm just asking questions for my own understanding, I hope no one will be offended. Verses to point me in the direction are very much appreciated to help me understand more. That way I am not just taking anyones word for it but the bibles. Thanks in advance.

PS. I like your screen name ( that's are verse )

Reactions: Acts2:38
Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"but some Churches of Christ also have man made doctrines, "

Yes, I do know of some myself personally. So I would agree to that.

"A name is not everything."

That is also very true. You can pick the name but in the end are they REALLY following the bible and rendering unto its authority? Yes I agree.

" I also believe that most Baptist Churches are of another faith not because of Baptism but because they change the very nature of God with the Doctrine of "Once saved always saved" I do not think you can change the nature of God and still be of the same faith."

Ah yes, that said it all right there. Yes, I would agree to that while at the same time considering your previous statements.

On a side note, I myself didn't know of such a type of churches as primitive baptists. Interesting.

May you have a wonderful day brother.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On a side note, I myself didn't know of such a type of churches as primitive baptists. Interesting.

I ran into a Primitive Baptist preacher years ago, who used Alexander Campbell's quote of " We speak where the Bible speaks and we are silent where the Bible is silent" and said that Campbell was one of there early leaders. History teaches that the early restoration movement had it beginning's in the Baptist movement but exited after a few years, not because of Baptism but because of Calvinism.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I ran into a Primitive Baptist preacher years ago, who used Alexander Campbell's quote of " We speak where the Bible speaks and we are silent where the Bible is silent" and said that Campbell was one of there early leaders. History teaches that the early restoration movement had it beginning's in the Baptist movement but exited after a few years, not because of Baptism but because of Calvinism.

It always puzzles me that people would label me (I'm almost certain you dealt with it) a campbellite. They also think churches of Christ started in 1906. I mean, there are churches of Christ's and leaders from each era recorded a lot earlier than Alexander. Like Brainham and Tyndale in the 1500's.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It always puzzles me that people would label me (I'm almost certain you dealt with it) a campbellite. They also think churches of Christ started in 1906. I mean, there are churches of Christ's and leaders from each era recorded a lot earlier than Alexander. Like Brainham and Tyndale in the 1500's.

Yes, I know, Alexander Campbell did not start the Restoration Movement. Campbell, Barton W. Stone, James O'Kelly, Walter Scott, Moses Lard, Tolbert Fanning and others started "Back to the Bible" Movements as early as the 1700's and began to realize their movements had the same goals and emphasis on the Bible that they joined together to create what we call the Restoration Movement.
There have been movements throughout History that tried to be just Christians, and restore true Christianity. Most have been wiped out by the Catholic Church. I do see Martin Luther as a Restorationist of his time. John Locke, Jonathan Edwards, and others contributed to the idea of restoration.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I ran into a Primitive Baptist preacher years ago, who used Alexander Campbell's quote of " We speak where the Bible speaks and we are silent where the Bible is silent"

I have keep on a small side study with this and have come to the conclusion, by their own confessions of beliefs, Primitive Baptists cannot be of the "one" body, faith that Ephesians 4 talks about. By their very own statement of beliefs (one such example is this link here The Primitive Baptist Page )
There is no way, according to what the gospel actually teaches, they can be recognized as an authorized church our Savior would have.

I then went to 1 Corinthians 1:10-13 and 1 Corinthians 3:4-5 and would have to consider that wearing a different names religiously is not what the Lord would approve of since it is a denomination or "separate and apart of the original". A couple names that would be approved would be of course church of Christ (Romans 16:16) or even church of God (1 Corinthians 1:2) but to be called anything such as Methodist or Baptist would in fact be a denomination (separate and apart of the original).

You can also see charts of all the churches and church splits and they ALL break away from the Catholic church or from themselves after breaking from the Catholic church. Splits within splits within splits but all traced back to Catholic origin. Almost all of them have an earthly headquarters which one should know is wrong with verses like Colossians 1:18. Now from what I understand Primitive Baptists do not have an earthly headquarters but by their fruits and by their own mouth they have doctrines that are not found in scripture. They also call their ministers "elders". According to the bible, that is two different job classes there. Which is it, elder OR minister? Not both. The church I attend does not have anyone that can qualify as an elder according to what the bible says an elder should be.

Long story short though, my further study into this matter is really leading to the fact that even the name does count, however, with the understanding that just because of the name does not necessarily mean they are in God's good graces. I know of a church of Christ that uses instruments in their services. Little by little from that point on, do they water down the scripture but still keep the church of Christ name. Sad and a great loss.

Anyway just thought I would let you in on some of the findings I come across.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stringfellow_Hawke

Jul 4, 2018
West Virginia
✟37,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Serious question. In no way trying to start a fight and if this has been discussed please forgive me, I'm at my office and don't have time to read through everything; but if baptism is absolutely necessary for salvation, then what about the thief on the cross with Jesus? What about the others He healed? Particularly the woman with the bleeding? "thy faith hath made thee whole, go in peace."

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have keep on a small side study with this and have come to the conclusion, by their own confessions of beliefs, Primitive Baptists cannot be of the "one" body, faith that Ephesians 4 talks about. By their very own statement of beliefs (one such example is this link here The Primitive Baptist Page )
There is no way, according to what the gospel actually teaches, they can be recognized as an authorized church our Savior would have.

I then went to 1 Corinthians 1:10-13 and 1 Corinthians 3:4-5 and would have to consider that wearing a different names religiously is not what the Lord would approve of since it is a denomination or "separate and apart of the original". A couple names that would be approved would be of course church of Christ (Romans 16:16) or even church of God (1 Corinthians 1:2) but to be called anything such as Methodist or Baptist would in fact be a denomination (separate and apart of the original).

You can also see charts of all the churches and church splits and they ALL break away from the Catholic church or from themselves after breaking from the Catholic church. Splits within splits within splits but all traced back to Catholic origin. Almost all of them have an earthly headquarters which one should know is wrong with verses like Colossians 1:18. Now from what I understand Primitive Baptists do not have an earthly headquarters but by their fruits and by their own mouth they have doctrines that are not found in scripture. They also call their ministers "elders". According to the bible, that is two different job classes there. Which is it, elder OR minister? Not both. The church I attend does not have anyone that can qualify as an elder according to what the bible says an elder should be.

Long story short though, my further study into this matter is really leading to the fact that even the name does count, however, with the understanding that just because of the name does not necessarily mean they are in God's good graces. I know of a church of Christ that uses instruments in their services. Little by little from that point on, do they water down the scripture but still keep the church of Christ name. Sad and a great loss.

Anyway just thought I would let you in on some of the findings I come across.

The fact is you and I and any other member of the Church of Christ do not add people to the Church. It is God who adds people to his Church. We don't have the authority or power to make decisions which baptized believers or in the Church or Not. a false belief or an unauthorized practice is not an automatic disqualification from the Church. We have plenty of false belief and unauthorized practice in Churches of Christ, we have people who believe that Jesus second coming was in 70 A.D., the Holy Spirit really not exist, That God is not a personal God, and other unusual belief. As far as unauthorized practices: Song Leaders, Passing the offering during worship, an invitation call, song books, church buildings and so on. We need to be very careful when judging others salvation because the way we judge we will be judged as well. This does not mean we are not to judge when others do wrong or teach wrong. We are to. But we do not have to authority to condemn anyone to Hell.

As for Elders being preachers that is one of the job descriptions is to teach. The are a lot of Elders who are also the preacher in Churches of Christ.

Yes, denominationalism is a sin, and is wrong, but no where in Scripture does it say if your in a denomination you where not added to the Church, There are a lot of Churches of Christ who act like a denomination but I'm not willing to write them off as lost. It is our job to teach what is true and right and leave salvation to Jesus Christ and God.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Serious question. In no way trying to start a fight and if this has been discussed please forgive me, I'm at my office and don't have time to read through everything; but if baptism is absolutely necessary for salvation, then what about the thief on the cross with Jesus? What about the others He healed? Particularly the woman with the bleeding? "thy faith hath made thee whole, go in peace."

First, Jesus healing had nothing to do with salvation, it had to do with compassion for those who were hurting.

Second, like most denominational people, you have a wrong understanding of what Baptism is. It is not a work we do, ( the person who is baptized does no work, God, Jesus, the Spirit, and the Baptizer are the ones who do work.) It is a gift of grace from God to be performed in faith for the forgiveness of sins and to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Baptism is not an act of obeying the Law. So now we come to the thief on the Cross, Some things are in play here that are not today. (1) The Old Covenant is still in effect. (2) Jesus Christ while still living on the Earth had the authority to forgive sin ( no belief, or faith was needed) (3) The New Covenant of which Baptism is apart has not taken effect. So Jesus who had authority to forgive sin without the need of faith forgave the thief on the cross. Today the plan of salvation of which Jesus Christ instituted from the Cross and his resurrection and revealed to us from his Word is what we go by.

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the answer given by "Thedictator", as he covered just about everything, but I will add one thing:

Romans 6 describes the importance of baptism because of its symbolism:
"3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is freed from sin."

If our baptism is about dying with Christ...how could baptism be required BEFORE Christ died?

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I totally agree

Yes straight from the scripture agreed.

Yes, I do understand that.

Just curious why you think baptist is man made doctrine? They have no creed, organization, just Christ, Bible, salvation, and baptism..at least the ones I have attended

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious why you think baptist is man made doctrine? They have no creed, organization, just Christ, Bible, salvation, and baptism..at least the ones I have attended

It is always good to ask questions, and I would be happy to discuss.

First off, baptists did not come around til a gentleman named John Smyth about the 1600's. They are a slight break off branch of 'anabaptists' which both are break off's of the catholic church. The catholic church is a break off from the Lords church.

Nevertheless, it is a 'reformation' group. The act of 'reforming' is merely just improving upon an already erroneous belief system (catholicism/anabaptist/calvinist).

They do in fact have an organization called the American Baptist Churches of the USA.

Everyone has a creed. The churches of Christs creed is 'no creed but Christ' which is a creed in itself merely stating we follow nothing but what our Lord and Savior had instructed for us to do for salvation and conduct. It is just the baptists allow creeds not found in scripture. One such is child baptism, another is original sin, and the list goes on. Some even believe it okay to just sprinkle or pour water for baptism. Many believe that baptism is not really necessary. Those are in fact creeds by the very definition.

I do not deny that they believe in Christ, the problem arises that they do not obey/ they only do what they feel like not what scripture requires. (I do not say this to be insulting or belligerent).

The bible states many times over that Christ, God, instruct and prayed for 'unity'. This falls under the fact that the bible instructs only ONE church. The very meaning of church in the greek is ekklesia which in context for Christians means 'the called out' or all those IN Christ.

This is why churches of Christ keep stressing that there is only one. Not because we say so, but because scripture says so.

John 17:20-23
Romans 12
1 Corinthians 12
Ephesians 4:4-6

The fact that there are some many different churches means that 1 and 2 Timothy 4 happened. People that began to not adhere to Christs teachings and the message delivered to the apostles by the Holy Spirit to give to us (the bible).

Ephesians 4 strictly points out there is only ONE.

Romans 12 strictly points out, many people/members, only ONE body (church)

1 Corinthians 12 strictly points out, the body is not one member, but many. I dont see many bodies here, just A body.

Which brings us to another point, why do churches of Christ think THEY are the ONLY ones right?

First off, it is because it is Christs church. It is our Lords church that was established BY our Lord, and not some man.

The baptists were established by men, John Smyth and Thomas Helwys. And, might it be important to note, the root definition of 'denomination' is "separate and apart from the original", which is very fitting for them because that is exactly what it is.

We call ourselves church of Christ not only because it is His church that He established, but also because there is no authority to give the church any such name like baptist or methodist or catholic, or anabaptist, etc etc.

We do see authority for church of Christ, even church of God, but nothing about baptist.
Romans 16:16

I must admit that JUST because a church is called "church of Christ" doesn't necessarily mean they are good to go. Some are only in name church of Christ, but they brushed aside scripture to follow man made beliefs.

For a baptist church to follow Christ, would mean they give honor and glory to Christ by leaving man made established names like baptist, created by two men, and drop man made creeds/doctrines like original sin, faith only, instrumental music, etc

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First off, baptists did not come around til a gentleman named John Smyth about the 1600's. They are a slight break off branch of 'anabaptists' which both are break off's of the catholic church. The catholic church is a break off from the Lords church.

Actually there is a small group of baptists that believe they did not break off from the Catholic Church...if you look back at church history, you can find there was always "heresies" those that were different then the catholic

Nevertheless, it is a 'reformation' group. The act of 'reforming' is merely just improving upon an already erroneous belief system (catholicism/anabaptist/calvinist).

They do in fact have an organization called the American Baptist Churches of the USA.

Yes there is many organization of baptist..but to make you aware..some are independent and fundamental...we are local only, no Creed, never have , never will

Everyone has a creed. The churches of Christs creed is 'no creed but Christ' which is a creed in itself merely stating we follow nothing but what our Lord and Savior had instructed for us to do for salvation and conduct. It is just the baptists allow creeds not found in scripture. One such is child baptism, another is original sin, and the list goes on. Some even believe it okay to just sprinkle or pour water for baptism. Many believe that baptism is not really necessary. Those are in fact creeds by the very definition.

We do not believe in baptism, until someone has professed that Christ is their Lord and Saviour

Not exactly sure what you mean by original sin...we Believe Adam and Eve we're the first to sin
I do not deny that they believe in Christ, the problem arises that they do not obey/ they only do what they feel like not what scripture requires. (I do not say this to be insulting or belligerent).

The bible states many times over that Christ, God, instruct and prayed for 'unity'. This falls under the fact that the bible instructs only ONE church. The very meaning of church in the greek is ekklesia which in context for Christians means 'the called out' or all those IN Christ.

This is why churches of Christ keep stressing that there is only one. Not because we say so, but because scripture says so.

Romans 12
1 Corinthians 12

The fact that there are some many different churches means that 1 and 2 Timothy 4 happened. People that began to not adhere to Christs teachings and the message delivered to the apostles by the Holy Spirit to give to us (the bible).

1 Corinthians 12 strictly points out, the body is not one member, but many. I dont see many bodies here, just A body.

Which brings us to another point, why do churches of Christ think THEY are the ONLY ones right?

First off, it is because it is Christs church. It is our Lords church that was established BY our Lord, and not some man.

The baptists were established by men, John Smyth and Thomas Helwys. And, might it be important to note, the root definition of 'denomination' is "separate and apart from the original", which is very fitting for them because that is exactly what it is.

We call ourselves church of Christ not only because it is His church that He established, but also because there is no authority to give the church any such name like baptist or methodist or catholic, or anabaptist, etc etc.

We do see authority for church of Christ, even church of God, but nothing about baptist.

I must admit that JUST because a church is called "church of Christ" doesn't necessarily mean they are good to go. Some are only in name church of Christ, but they brushed aside scripture to follow man made beliefs.

For a baptist church to follow Christ, would mean they give honor and glory to Christ by leaving man made established names like baptist, created by two men, and drop man made creeds/doctrines like original sin, faith only, instrumental music, etc

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello again,

#1--""Actually there is a small group of baptists that believe they did not break off from the Catholic Church...if you look back at church history, you can find there was always "heresies" those that were different then the catholic""

Main point: Just by carrying the very name "baptist", is to follow a church established by men (John and Thomas I mentioned previously). This is not the Lords church. It is church that was not authorized by our Lord, it is a denomination (separate and apart from the original, a title in which they themselves claim), and was established during the "reformation era" 1500-1600's by men, not Christ. The very meaning of reformation indicates that they only improved upon the catholic church and anabaptists they split from. They didn't "restore" back to the Lords church and His teachings.

History proves and gives a factual account that baptists are a sub category of anabaptists and the catholic church. I don't have to prove this as it is in the secular and non secular history books. It doesn't matter what the 'some baptists' think, history proves otherwise.

Matthew 16:18 - And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

It is not John Smyth's
Not Thomas Helwys's
Not Lutheran's
Not any man's church
It is Christs church

Romans 16:16 - Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
Ephesians 1:22-23 - And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

These and other verses make it Christs church. To establish any other, makes it a different body, a different church.

#2--""Yes there is many organization of baptist..but to make you aware..some are independent and fundamental...we are local only, no Creed, never have , never will""

Creed: a brief authoritative formula of religious belief; a set of fundamental beliefs; a guiding principle

I don't have to visit, and I know for a fact you most certainly do have a creed.

To help you understand, I could follow up with a few questions....
A) Does your local congregation believe it okay to play instrumental music during worship?

B) Does your local congregation believe that once you are saved, you are always saved?

C) Do they believe that baptism saves (required for salvation), or that it is faith only that does, and baptism is just an outward expression?

D)Do they believe women can be ministers/pastors/deacons and the likes?

E) Do they believe in original sin (ie babies are born into sin etc)?

As for a church of Christ, "no creed BUT Christ", merely stating that we follow nothing but what our Lord and Savior had instructed for us to do for salvation and conduct, straight from the bible. I suppose that is one reason why people call us legalistic, however, by what authority should we deviate from what scripture plainly teaches and authorizes as acceptable?

Please excuse me if I didn't answer any other questions you may have had. Your questions were mixed in with my quoted post.

Romans 12
1 Corinthians 12

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,
You know, aside from being a member of the Lord's church, being "in Christ" and saved, which is of course the most important, I find it very important that no matter where I go or live, I can find a group of like minded Christians to make me feel at home...even though this world is not my home. I don't know that other Christians feel this way but I do. I get this from my Dad I suppose, he taught me that worship is the most intimate act humans can engage in together outside of marriage, I feel a close connection with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Has anyone else ever considered that fact??
Now to expand on demominationalism, the church of Christ is not a member there of. Not that I recall anyone in this thread saying so, but a careful reading of 2 Thessalonians chapter 2 foretells of the falling away. This, to me is definitely talking about the 1st century church falling into apostasy, which I believe history tells us happened. About 290 years after the day of pentecost, the catholic church instituted the "apostles creed". The church of Christ today (for the most part) is the 1st century church restored. The church of Christ unfortunately does have divisions which ought not to be. We could have unity if it were not for sinful pride. I believe we have ample verses in the Bible to settle any disagreement. The word says we only have to study to be perfectly furnished unto all good works. On topics that can't effect our salvation, I believe the Bible teaches we are at liberty to make our own decisions but can't force anyone else to hold the same view. I have always attended a non-instrumental church. I've always believed that was a topic that could effect one's salvation.
As for most baptist churches that I'm familiar with, they are a faith only and once saved always saved sect. My mother was raised a baptist and she told me that when she began visiting the CoC with my dad she thought they were reading from a different Bible. I found that profound.
In Him

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,
You know, aside from being a member of the Lord's church, being "in Christ" and saved, which is of course the most important, I find it very important that no matter where I go or live, I can find a group of like minded Christians to make me feel at home...even though this world is not my home. I don't know that other Christians feel this way but I do. I get this from my Dad I suppose, he taught me that worship is the most intimate act humans can engage in together outside of marriage, I feel a close connection with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Has anyone else ever considered that fact??

When I am away from brethren and the edification and fellowship I get when being with them during worship of visiting, I do feel like my "batteries" run low and I need a recharge. The world just runs us ragged, which is why I suppose that we are instructed to not forsake the assembly. Alone and without the edifying and fellowship of brethren, we would certainly go wayward.

Now to expand on demominationalism, the church of Christ is not a member there of. Not that I recall anyone in this thread saying so, but a careful reading of 2 Thessalonians chapter 2 foretells of the falling away. This, to me is definitely talking about the 1st century church falling into apostasy, which I believe history tells us happened. About 290 years after the day of pentecost, the catholic church instituted the "apostles creed". The church of Christ today (for the most part) is the 1st century church restored. The church of Christ unfortunately does have divisions which ought not to be. We could have unity if it were not for sinful pride. I believe we have ample verses in the Bible to settle any disagreement. The word says we only have to study to be perfectly furnished unto all good works. On topics that can't effect our salvation, I believe the Bible teaches we are at liberty to make our own decisions but can't force anyone else to hold the same view.

Nice addition to the subject at hand. For an example of the "liberty" you are talking about and things that do not pertain to salvation we could refer people to Romans 14 (i might need to give more clarification for those that miss what I mean about Romans 14, but I will hold out unless they bring it up).

I have always attended a non-instrumental church. I've always believed that was a topic that could effect one's salvation.

Most certainly agreed. Scripture is pretty specific about this.

A lot of times I am flat out puzzled that I have to even refute those that defend musical instruments due to the clear context and wording of scripture that straight forwardly describes acapella.
I would have to use examples like the Lords supper, combined with the law of exclusion, stating that if scripture says bread and fruit of the vine, does that give people an excuse to use steak and soda? No. By saying bread and fruit of the vine, scripture automatically excludes anything else. Then I would have to apply it to Colossians 3:16 and Ephesians 5:19, while at the same time divulging the greek definition of the words and context of the sentence.

Upvote 0