Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do the churches of Christ teach about salvation?

Would you say it is through faith alone with good works as a result and evidence of a saving faith?

Or is it faith plus works? Do you have to earn your salvation?

What is the churches of Christ's stance on prevenient grace? Is man incapable of choosing salvation without first being enabled by the Holy Spirit?

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The grace of God --> The death/burial/resurrection of Christ --> responding to the call of that Gospel --> staying faithful

You usually hear about the "5 steps of salvation", which are the initial responses to the call of Christ's salvation:
1. Hear (the Word) | Romans 10:17
2. Believe/Trust | Romans 1:16; Ephesians 2:8-9
3. Repent | Luke 13:5; Acts 3:19
4. Confess Christ | Matthew 10:32; 1 John 2:23-25
5. Baptism (willful baptism) [immersion in water] | Acts 22:16; Acts 2:38; John 3:3-5

Complying with those steps means GOD adds us to HIS Church and bestows the Holy Spirit on us. In other words salvation/entrance into the one true Church only happens after all 5 parts of the response are fulfilled.

And then a 6th thing is usually mentioned as "keeping the faith", because we believe that you CAN LOSE your salvation (see Hebrews 6:4-8).
___

Many people misinterpret the Church of Christ's "5 Steps" as works salvation, but we DO NOT believe in works salvation. Although we do believe that works are essential because "faith without works is dead" according to James 2:17.
The true definition of faith includes works...when you change your behavior then God (and others) can see your belief is actualized. But we understand that our works do not save us...it's still always God's grace, and we should count ourselves as "unworthy slaves" as Luke 17 teaches.
___

I notice you're baptist. From what I understand baptists have similar understandings of scripture in general, but when it comes to salvation the big difference is that CoC believes water baptism is essential to salvation and not merely a means to become a member of a local congregation. There are a lot of Baptist vs. CoC debates on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uncle Tommy

Just a Christian
Dec 30, 2008
Probably sitting on my bed.
✟10,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The grace of God --> The death/burial/resurrection of Christ --> responding to the call of that Gospel --> staying faithful

You usually hear about the "5 steps of salvation", which are the initial responses to the call of Christ's salvation:
1. Hear (the Word) | Romans 10:17
2. Believe/Trust | Romans 1:16; Ephesians 2:8-9
3. Repent | Luke 13:5; Acts 3:19
4. Confess Christ | Matthew 10:32; 1 John 2:23-25
5. Baptism (willful baptism) [immersion in water] | Acts 22:16; Acts 2:38; John 3:3-5

Complying with those steps means GOD adds us to HIS Church and bestows the Holy Spirit on us. In other words salvation/entrance into the one true Church only happens after all 5 parts of the response are fulfilled.

And then a 6th thing is usually mentioned as "keeping the faith", because we believe that you CAN LOSE your salvation (see Hebrews 6:4-8).
___

Many people misinterpret the Church of Christ's "5 Steps" as works salvation, but we DO NOT believe in works salvation. Although we do believe that works are essential because "faith without works is dead" according to James 2:17.
The true definition of faith includes works...when you change your behavior then God (and others) can see your belief is actualized. But we understand that our works do not save us...it's still always God's grace, and we should count ourselves as "unworthy slaves" as Luke 17 teaches.
___

I notice you're baptist. From what I understand baptists have similar understandings of scripture in general, but when it comes to salvation the big difference is that CoC believes water baptism is essential to salvation and not merely a means to become a member of a local congregation. There are a lot of Baptist vs. CoC debates on this.

Having been both Baptist and COC I must admit I found very little difference between the two so far as practices and understanding of the Scriptures. There is however much difference (in my experience) in the understanding of Baptism, as you have already pointed out. I guess the only other difference that could be considered major is that the COC would not do anything outside of the actual building as a Church. No softball teams, no potlucks or picnicks, no vacation bible school. I found that odd but they were very loving and gracious people.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for your responses!

I've considered joining the churches of Christ because there is a congregation near me.

However, I'm undecided about baptismal regeneration, but I see both sides.

Eschatology is another thing as I believe there is a prophetic significance for the nation of Israel, but I'm not strictly premillennial. I'm open to amillennialism, but it seems too closely connected to replacement theology.

Reactions: Uncle Tommy
Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your responses!

I've considered joining the churches of Christ because there is a congregation near me.

Eschatology is another thing as I believe there is a prophetic significance for the nation of Israel, but I'm not strictly premillennial. I'm open to amillennialism, but it seems too closely connected to replacement theology.
I certainly encourage you to go check them out. CoC isn't perfect, but no group is.
What scripture do you view as reasonable that opposes CoC view of baptism?

What do you mean by replacement theology?

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess the only other difference that could be considered major is that the COC would not do anything outside of the actual building as a Church. No softball teams, no potlucks or picnicks, no vacation bible school. I found that odd but they were very loving and gracious people.

There is a very small group of Churches of Christ that do this. But the vast majority of Churches have: Sports teams, potlucks, VBS, Summer camps, retreats, Holiday parties, Youth Groups activities, Saturday Game nights, Ladies days, and all kinds of other activities.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Churches of Christ do not believe in Baptismal Regeneration, Baptism does not save, Jesus Christ saves, baptism is only a method that Jesus uses in the process of Salvation. It is not something we do, it is something that is done to us.

Upvote 0

Uncle Tommy

Just a Christian
Dec 30, 2008
Probably sitting on my bed.
✟10,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a very small group of Churches of Christ that do this. But the vast majority of Churches have: Sports teams, potlucks, VBS, Summer camps, retreats, Holiday parties, Youth Groups activities, Saturday Game nights, Ladies days, and all kinds of other activities.
I know this is a little late getting back but thank you for sharing. I must have attended one of the minority. I appreciate the additional info.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Churches of Christ do teach that baptism is a requirement for salvation. Is this the same as baptismal regeneration? I'm unfamiliar with that terminology.

Under the doctrine of baptismal regeneration, baptism has the power to remove sin, faith is not needed and in some cases works independently of God. This is more of a Catholic doctrine. Under Churches of Christ doctrine baptism is an act that God uses to impart salvation, and faith must be present. It is God not baptism who removes sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Churches of Christ do not believe in Baptismal Regeneration, Baptism does not save, Jesus Christ saves, baptism is only a method that Jesus uses in the process of Salvation. It is not something we do, it is something that is done to us.
Cult

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Under the doctrine of baptismal regeneration, baptism has the power to remove sin, faith is not needed and in some cases works independently of God. This is more of a Catholic doctrine. Under Churches of Christ doctrine baptism is an act that God uses to impart salvation, and faith must be present. It is God not baptism who removes sin.

Ah, I understand. Yeah, it's not the water, but the obedience. And you need faith to obey.

Um, ok?

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: Acts2:38
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, I understand. Yeah, it's not the water, but the obedience. And you need faith to obey.

Um, ok?

You got it, We teach that live faith is needed to be saved, some like Hono... teach that dead faith is all you need, but the Bible teaches we must have faith that is alive not dead ( book of James )

Upvote 0

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2014-01-09 23.32.35.jpg
Yes, some do call true Christianity a cult. The Jews said that the followers of Christ was a cult as did the Romans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Um, ok?

No church that I know of thinks "it's the water." But the ones that believe in Baptismal Regeneration say that the sacrament puts us right with God, regenerates us by removing sin. The CofCs believe (I think) that baptism doesn't actually regenerate but that it is a requirement, an obligation, an extension and consequence of saving Faith...and in that way may be said to be necessary for salvation.

In other words, you're right. I just used more of them (words) to say it. ;)

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your thoughts! Like Thedictator (not sure that name fits, seems like a pretty nice person) said, Jesus does the saving after we obey the gospel plan of salvation. Titus 3:4-5, v5 in particular, Paul wrote to Titus that Jesus saves us by his mercy. Peter told the Jews in Acts 2:38 that baptism is also to forgive sins, and he again wrote in 1 Peter 3:20-21 that its not the water that saves, but the obedient act to God's plan that saves, the same way that Noah's obedience in building the Ark saved him and his family. So we believe the entire plan laid out in scripture, obey all of it, including being immersed, then after we obey Jesus extends his grace and mercy to us and we are saved. Then comes the hard part of trying to imitate Him!

I'll be totally honest, I don't know a lot about the Anglican church or the Catholic church, I did spend 3 years in England with the US Military though. Can you explain the sacrament? I always thought that was what those organizations called the bread and the fruit of the vine, I know those are also called the eucharist but that they were sacraments as well. Sorry for the confusion!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll be totally honest, I don't know a lot about the Anglican church or the Catholic church, I did spend 3 years in England with the US Military though. Can you explain the sacrament? I always thought that was what those organizations called the bread and the fruit of the vine, I know those are also called the eucharist but that they were sacraments as well. Sorry for the confusion!
Ah, yes. It's not uncommon for Anglicans (and Roman Catholics) to say "the sacrament" when they have the Lord's Supper in mind. It's just a way of speaking. After all, there's at least one other sacrament that they all accept--Baptism.

And yes, it's the bread and wine, although they are actually what's called "the elements." The sacrament itself is more than the elements; it's the whole observance of the Supper. "Eucharist" is an even more common term for that. Its meaning comes from a word meaning a "thanksgiving" which, if you think about it, accords with the theology of most Protestant denominations like the CofCs and Baptists, even while its use is normally associated with the more ritualistic churches and the "high church" parties within them.

As for definitions, the Roman Catholic Church of course believes that the priest is offering the sacrifice of Christ and that the elements are actually turned, at his word, into Christ's physical, literal flesh and blood. Anglicans officially reject that view and generally say either that it's a mystery that is beyond definition and is not to be seen in that mechanical and Medieval way OR that it is Christ's true body and blood but in a spiritual sense only.

Upvote 0