Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I am away from brethren and the edification and fellowship I get when being with them during worship of visiting, I do feel like my "batteries" run low and I need a recharge. The world just runs us ragged, which is why I suppose that we are instructed to not forsake the assembly. Alone and without the edifying and fellowship of brethren, we would certainly go wayward.

Nice addition to the subject at hand. For an example of the "liberty" you are talking about and things that do not pertain to salvation we could refer people to Romans 14 (i might need to give more clarification for those that miss what I mean about Romans 14, but I will hold out unless they bring it up).

Most certainly agreed. Scripture is pretty specific about this.

A lot of times I am flat out puzzled that I have to even refute those that defend musical instruments due to the clear context and wording of scripture that straight forwardly describes acapella.
I would have to use examples like the Lords supper, combined with the law of exclusion, stating that if scripture says bread and fruit of the vine, does that give people an excuse to use steak and soda? No. By saying bread and fruit of the vine, scripture automatically excludes anything else. Then I would have to apply it to Colossians 3:16 and Ephesians 5:19, while at the same time divulging the greek definition of the words and context of the sentence.
We are on the same page brother. In the past years I've come to the conclusion that the following can/could be applicable to the subject of instrumental music.
1 Corinthians 8:1-13
Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know.But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one.For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords),yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
We can all agree, beyond a shadow of doubt, that acapella music is acceptable to God. Consider me the weaker brother if you must. We all have our short comings, or areas we need to be more diligent, but thankfully pride is not something I have to continually keep in check.
What's your thoughts?

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can all agree, beyond a shadow of doubt, that acapella music is acceptable to God. Consider me the weaker brother if you must. We all have our short comings, or areas we need to be more diligent, but thankfully pride is not something I have to continually keep in check.
What's your thoughts?

I agree. Everyone has area's they are stronger in (more learned) in the secular and within our fellow brethren.
A new Christian added to the Lord's kingdom will undoubtedly find something that may be offensive that should not be, or not offended to what they should be (keeping to scriptural commands). So us brethren that do know a thing or two need to be careful with new brethren as to not create a stumbling block lest we cause harm to them and their walk with Christ. At least until they can be able to get off the "milk" and finally eat the "meat".

Example: A new convert that came from the muslim belief, will most likely be offended by the very idea of me eating pork. I would do well to heed scripture and refrain from pork or even speaking of such with this brethren. I might add Romans 14 to your Corinthians verses you posted to this scenario.

I believe Paul, through the Holy Spirit, said it perfectly when he told us....

---1 Corinthians 9---
16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do the churches of Christ teach about salvation?

Would you say it is through faith alone with good works as a result and evidence of a saving faith?

Or is it faith plus works? Do you have to earn your salvation?

What is the churches of Christ's stance on prevenient grace? Is man incapable of choosing salvation without first being enabled by the Holy Spirit?

I believe the steps to salvation are believe, repent, receive The Holy Spirit, and abide. So many often forget about abiding in Christ. Receiving salvation is not the result of a one time act but a way of life by submitting to God’s will and devoting our lives to serving Him. John 15 is clear on this.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do the churches of Christ teach about salvation?

Would you say it is through faith alone with good works as a result and evidence of a saving faith?

Or is it faith plus works? Do you have to earn your salvation?

What is the churches of Christ's stance on prevenient grace? Is man incapable of choosing salvation without first being enabled by the Holy Spirit?
From my experience with the churches of Christ, they teach a 5 step plan of salvation 1. Hear 2. Believe 3. Repent 4. Confess 5. Be baptized. So they believe that one is not saved until all 5 steps are complete. This five step plan of salvation is the result of bad semantics and flawed hermeneutics.

In regards to works, I've heard certain people who attend the church of Christ interpret James 2:24 this way - "You see then that a man is justified/saved by works, and not by faith only." They seem to clearly teach that salvation is by faith and works. I once heard someone who attends the church of Christ make this statement - "It is works of obedience that help to save us and not works of the law or works of merit."

The Holy Spirit works in conjunction with the gospel, the Word in addition to hearing, yet I've heard people who attend the church of Christ deny such a work of the Holy Spirit, instead holding that there is nothing more than the Word that is involved.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From my experience with the churches of Christ, they teach a 5 step plan of salvation 1. Hear 2. Believe 3. Repent 4. Confess 5. Be baptized. So they believe that one is not saved until all 5 steps are complete. This five step plan of salvation is the result of bad semantics and flawed hermeneutics.

In regards to works, I've heard certain people who attend the church of Christ interpret James 2:24 this way - "You see then that a man is justified/saved by works, and not by faith only." They seem to clearly teach that salvation is by faith and works. I once heard someone who attends the church of Christ make this statement - "It is works of obedience that help to save us and not works of the law or works of merit."

The Holy Spirit works in conjunction with the gospel, the Word in addition to hearing, yet I've heard people who attend the church of Christ deny such a work of the Holy Spirit, instead holding that there is nothing more than the Word that is involved.

They also teach you must abide in Christ and endure to the end. Now a person can turn away from God and still be saved if he repents and turns back to God. Endure to the end is about what state you are in at the time of your death or the second coming of Christ. Are you with Him or against Him at that time?

Reactions: DerSchweik
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They also teach you must abide in Christ and endure to the end. Now a person can turn away from God and still be saved if he repents and turns back to God. Endure to the end is about what state you are in at the time of your death or the second coming of Christ. Are you with Him or against Him at that time?
All genuine believers will be with Him at that time. Those who endure to the end demonstrate that they truly have been born of God. The churches of Christ teach that you must endure to the end to be saved, but with a works salvation twist.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All genuine believers will be with Him at that time. Those who endure to the end demonstrate that they truly have been born of God. The churches of Christ teach that you must endure to the end to be saved, but with a works salvation twist.
No - there is no salvation in anyone's works; we just recognize the bible has a little more to say about salvation than today's popular superstitious spiritism.

A simple word study reveals the things that "save."

Endurance (to the end) - Mt 24:13; Lk 21:19; Mt 10:22 (Mk 13:13); Heb 3:14
Calling on the Name of the Lord - Acts 2:21 (Joel 2:32), Rom 10:13
God's Mercy - Tit 3:5
Washing of Regeneration - Tit 3:5
Renewing of the Holy Spirit - Tit 3:5
Grace - Eph 2:8; Acts 15:11; Tit 2:11
Confession - Rom 10:9; Mt 10:32
Faith - Eph 2:8; Gal 3:26;I Pet 1:7ff
Jesus' Name - Acts 4:12
Jesus' Life - Rom 5:10; Jn 3:17
Obedience - Mt 7:21; Mt 12:50
God's Patience - 2 Pet 3:15
The Gospel - Rom 1:16; I Cor 15:1ff; Acts 11:14; Jas 1:21
Believing - Jn 3:16; I Cor 1:21; Acts 16:30f; Mk 16:16
Baptism - I Pet 3:21; Acts 2:36ff; Mk 16:16

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the churches of Christ recognize baptisms from other churches such as Baptists, or must one be baptized according to the church of Christ standards?

Conscious immersion is the key here. Someone who was baptized as an infant would need to be baptized via immersion.
As for those who come from similar backgrounds like Baptists, that would depend on how strict the particular coC congregation is. The one here in town wouldn't make an issue of it; but I've encountered others that would say "unless you specifically got baptized with the aim of remission of sins, it doesn't count."

Upvote 0