✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do Christians need to go to church?

Yes they do. Can you survive without it, yeh... is it a rule? no... But you need the support and communion with fellow believers. You also could use some sort of heading in your life, you'll need help in your walk with God. There are no lone rangers in the body of Christ.

Reactions: Lively Stone
Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you look all through the bible, most if not all of the men of women God we look back to for insight had mentors, had teachers, had fellowship with one another. They had people who they received the anointing from like Elisha and Elija or a mentor like Paul was to Timothy. Jesus even needed John to Baptize him. We are suppose to help each other and come together for a cause, a church only facilitates this. Certainly you risk meeting strange, crazy or wrong people but church is a good thing and the bible really doesn't give us the idea that people are supposed to live their life independent of the rest of the body of Christ. We are supposed to be about the great commission, some form or serving in the body of Christ and we need godly mentors and teachers and preachers in our lives who edify us and push us farther, who God can also use to speak to us like he used Paul and the other apostles to edify the body of Christ as they went and preached at the different churches in their time. God told timothy that if he studied the word of God that he would save himself and also those that heard him. There is a place for church and preachers and pastors in the body of Christ. It is far to easy to get off track if you don't come together with other men and women of God who love you and are going in the same direction you are, you'll need the help.

I remember in Acts chapter 1, they had all gathered together to pray and well you remember what happened. That's what churches are for.

When was last time we actually did something for the kingdom? When was the last time we received a word of the Lord from a man or woman of God like the bible teaches? When was the last time we helped save a lost soul? When was the last time we actually physically served in the body of Christ? There are plenty of good honest churches who could use the help and we could use some direction in our lives. How are people supposed to use the gifts of the spirit, how or who are supposed to prophecy to? If we don't believe in church?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

perrfekt

Dec 25, 2010
NC
✟15,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
"church" is just a term people use for the place they meet to fellowship and hear the word of God. as long as you are meeting and having fellowship with other believers and allow those more mature in faith to teach and help guide you then it doesn't matter the place or setting. if you think that being a lone christian amongst secular friends and have no others of the faith with you to help you grow, its only a loss, with no gain.

Upvote 0

Lively Stone

Jul 2, 2010
✟1,278.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
NO!

You can't go to a place - that you are!

-eric

The Exchanged Life

That is misleading to people who want and need to know the truth. To say we have no need of the local church, to which the epistles were written, is to call God mistaken and Jesus' establishment of the Church and His provision for it a joke, and the extremely hard work of the apostles redundant.

Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

I know this was posted a while ago but I respectfully have a very large problem with this.

Every christian goes through their own unique walk with God. God has an individual plan for everybody and its quite shocking too me that a fellow christian would call one particular way wrong. That's what drives people away from church. Church should be a receptive representative to everybody who's interested and this type or rhetoric only pushes people away.

Just look at John the baptist. John the baptist was thought to be crazy because he was in the wilderness and doing his own thing, that GOD wanted him to do.

Well said :)

@celtic D:

I used to think the same way as you. But my advice to you would be to try and find a church you agree with, a church where no red flags go off when you're in it. I have gone to many churches and after a long time finally found one in which I feel my faith grows in.

I will say my finding of my faith moment didn't happen at church, and my early stages of my faith walk, I opted not to attend church because my faith was so weak that anybody else's mistakes made me doubt my faith. I solely read my bible and prayed all the time and I believe God did pretty good work through this method in me.

So I can understand why you ask this question.
Respectfully I have to say that our paths are totally different. I know all about churches, I attended church for longer than you have been on this planet ;)

I walked away from church to save my faith, and went from lukewarm to on fire with the help of an online friend,

You have to realize though that everybody is sinful,
Really:confused: Is that why Christ died for our sins :confused: (sorry couldn't resist ;))

and once you can start concerning yourself only with your personal relationship with God is when you'll be happiest with yourself and what God has in store for you.
I have and I am - and church does not feature in that plan :)

Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

You have the wrong idea of what church really is, out of your own independent thinking. The bible shows us just what it is, and how we are to honour our pastors who God has placed before us to lead and care for us spiritually.

Oh I can assure you I have the right idea of church. Yes I am an independent thinker - my faith is not blind but well thought through. The only person I honour is God, not any mere mortal, pastor or otherwise, most of whom don't deserve the title anyway - they don't care, they brainwash and spiritually abuse in most cases - no thanks, I can do without that.

Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

In God's opinion. I invite you seriously to get into the word.

Thanks for the invite but I'm already in there :)

A good church is one that preaches the the word of God, and allows the Lord Jesus Christ to take charge, and the Holy Spirit to lead. A good church prays and worships together and is obedient to what God says.

And doesn't actually exist!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
...not any mere mortal, pastor or otherwise, most of whom don't deserve the title anyway - they don't care, they brainwash and spiritually abuse in most cases - no thanks, I can do without that.

I see now. Well you are very incorrect and far from qualified to make such statements about those people and that also doesn't deny the biblical evidence for the need of churches. Why would you create this thread if you already have such strong beliefs on it and frankly don't intend to listen to others but simply state what you think when offered contrary ideas?

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And doesn't actually exist!!!

I know your angry, but if you have half the age and biblical knowledge you claim to, then you know your dead wrong here but I will leave you be.

Good luck out there friend and I hope you really are on fire for God and listening to him.

Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

That is misleading to people who want and need to know the truth. To say we have no need of the local church, to which the epistles were written, is to call God mistaken and Jesus' establishment of the Church and His provision for it a joke, and the extremely hard work of the apostles redundant.

It's not misleading, it is fact. Biblically the church is the people, not the building!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

Celtic D

I see now. Well you are very incorrect and far from qualified to make such statements about those people and that also doesn't deny the biblical evidence for the need of churches. Why would you create this thread if you already have such strong beliefs on it and frankly don't intend to listen to others but simply state what you think when offered contrary ideas?

Who are you to judge whether or not I am qualified to make such statements, it is you who is very incorrect on that one.

Church is a gathering of people, the people are the church and that can be done on the likes of the internet.

I'm listening, it doesn't mean I have to agree with you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

I know your angry, but if you have half the age and biblical knowledge you claim to, then you know your dead wrong here but I will leave you be.

Good luck out there friend and I hope you really are on fire for God and listening to him.

I'm not angry, not any more since I got out of the institution which calls itself church and which was destroying the little faith I had.

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't intend to argue but consider this

1 Timothy 3:15, "But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."

Luke 4.14-16 Jesus taught and read in the synagogue as he did every sabbath day.

Hebrews 2.11-12 “I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.”

Hebrews 10.24-25 "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near"

Upvote 0