Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why is it that the Church only helps certain people? It's like certain groups of people are chosen to be helped, and the rest are hung out to dry. The Church has ministries for the hurting homeless, the hurting hungry, the hurting poor, the hurting alcoholics, the hurting couple on verge of divorce, etc.... The Church takes so many measures to help these select people, and others, who are commonly viewed as needing the help. And they do. I am glad the Church helps these people who need it. But why not the hurting homosexual? There are no programs, no ministries. It's just a one-on-one thing between the person and the priest, and oftentimes the priest or other spiritual father have many misconceptions that are hurtful that are held by right-wings, and they do not deal with the issue as it should be dealt with and treat it with sensitivity. The Church fails to see these people as hurting and needing of help. If the gay/bi/trans community who seek the Church doesn't like what is taught, they are told, "Tough."

So why pay special attention to some hurting groups, but casually regard other hurting groups? They are all hurting, just in different ways, and none is necessarily worse hurting or less hurting than the other. Just hurting differently.

So why help only certain people and give them the special assistance?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I dunno what to tell you man, other than maybe if you feel that there is a lacking for a ministry to help the LGBT people deal with the Church's teachings, that you should talk to you priest to see if there is one (because there could be). I guess if this feeling persists and you don't find a ministry to help out there, maybe someday you could start one. aside from that I don't know man.

prayers for you

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Church has ministries for the hurting homeless, the hurting hungry, the hurting poor, the hurting alcoholics, the hurting couple on verge of divorce, etc....

Meh, I've seen as much (or as little) for those as for homosexuals. Part of the problem is numbers.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Truth be told, there are a lot of holes in Church ministries. I don't really see a lot of real help for the poor and homeless. I see a lot of band-aid measures like soup kitchens, clothing drives, etc. I don't mean to disparage this type of charity because it does help, but the causes and effects of poverty run so much deeper than that.

I also don't see a lot of help for drug addicted people. I mean people who have been doing drugs for 20 years or more. We might have AA meeting in our parish halls, but nothing like what the Salvation Army (a Protestant church if you didn't know) or Catholic Charities offers with detox and long term counseling.

Most surprisingly to me is the lack of visible ministries for refugees, immigrants and victims of human trafficking. I mean, there are numerous, well documented cases of Orthodox people or people for historically Orthodox countries who fall into these categories. As a social work student, I am particularly feeling called to this type of work. We'll see what God says.

I don't say this to fault the American Orthodox. Our forebears in the Faith had a lot to deal with what with the Turkish yoke and Communist persecution. But perhaps, people who see and feel the need for more in depth ministries for hurting people can begin praying and studying.

M.

Upvote 0

Barky

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2008
Philadelphia, USA
✟24,242.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that the Church only helps certain people? It's like certain groups of people are chosen to be helped, and the rest are hung out to dry. The Church has ministries for the hurting homeless, the hurting hungry, the hurting poor, the hurting alcoholics, the hurting couple on verge of divorce, etc.... The Church takes so many measures to help these select people, and others, who are commonly viewed as needing the help. And they do. I am glad the Church helps these people who need it. But why not the hurting homosexual? There are no programs, no ministries. It's just a one-on-one thing between the person and the priest, and oftentimes the priest or other spiritual father have many misconceptions that are hurtful that are held by right-wings, and they do not deal with the issue as it should be dealt with and treat it with sensitivity. The Church fails to see these people as hurting and needing of help. If the gay/bi/trans community who seek the Church doesn't like what is taught, they are told, "Tough."

So why pay special attention to some hurting groups, but casually regard other hurting groups? They are all hurting, just in different ways, and none is necessarily worse hurting or less hurting than the other. Just hurting differently.

So why help only certain people and give them the special assistance?

Justin, a lot of people in the big minsitries lament the lack of one on one support for people. Getting one to one help with a priest is probably the greatest blessing you could ask for.

I know you struggle, I know this is hard, it seems like you simply looking for reasons to leave the church sometimes. God be with you Justin, you have a lot to offer to everyone in Church.

Upvote 0
E

English Augustine

This could be your apostolate. :)

To quote St. Josemaría:

Don't let your life be barren. Be useful. Make yourself felt. Shine forth with the torch of your faith and your love.

With your apostolic life, wipe out the trail of filth and slime left by the corrupt sowers of hatred. And set aflame all the ways of the earth with the fire of Christ that you bear in your heart.

Upvote 0

Blonde

Oct 30, 2007
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a priest is taking the time to individually help a person I don't think that should be disregarded. That may be the better path for the soul.
You're going to have to learn humble submission to God and to His ways. He knows the best path for the perfecting of your soul.
Beware seeking the occasion for self pity and complaint.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If a priest is taking the time to individually help a person I don't think that should be disregarded. That may be the better path for the soul.
You're going to have to learn humble submission to God and to His ways. He knows the best path for the perfecting of your soul.
Beware seeking the occasion for self pity and complaint.

Remind me to rep you tomorrow. You are exactly correct!

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I do not think it is a wise idea to form a group or club or whatever type of gathering for homosexuals, even if the stated goal is to help each other overcome the sin. I think it would offer a venue for temptation and more harm would come from it than good. I think one-on-one with one's priest is absolutely the best form of spiritual therapy for this type of sin.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally, I do not think it is a wise idea to form a group or club or whatever type of gathering for homosexuals, even if the stated goal is to help each other overcome the sin. I think it would offer a venue for temptation and more harm would come from it than good. I think one-on-one with one's priest is absolutely the best form of spiritual therapy for this type of sin.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ditto.

Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Why not? How is it different from having an AA? The alcoholics are just as likely to cave in and go drinking together.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why not? How is it different from having an AA? The alcoholics are just as likely to cave in and go drinking together.

You are right, except that with an AA meeting, alcohol (which is the thing that everyone is trying to avoid) would not be brought into the meeting. With a club or group for homosexual men, the object of temptation (other homosexual men) would be present.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What Bessie said, though you all do have a point. Just because the temptation is there, doesn't mean it shouldn't entirely be avoided (as with Bessie's example). I for one can feel very lonely. I got in touch with an Orthodox Christian through some priest conversation who is gay and lives in California... across the country! It has done wonders for me knowing I am not... alone... Imagine if, in a larger cathedral or something, there was a group that met in person! That would be incredibly helpful.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would you hold AA meetings in a liquor store?

No, BUT, Eric Clapton did do drug and alcohol rehab in Antigua and if any of you have ever been to the Caribbean you know that rum is more readily available in the Caribbean than drinking water is!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.