lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your husband grew up in this community and went to church most all of his life....
Your dad is an elder at this church.....????
Your husband is 26 you are 31......
Yes, also his dad is an elder to, who had also abstained from the vote. However he supports discipline to be applied to his son buy not to me.
how long have you been married and do you have kids????
Five years no kids
Does your husband have parents that go to this church??
are his parents christian and did he grow up in a christian home??
Has your husband been going to church all his life??????
Yes to all these, in fact his parents had up the outreach ministry which caters to immigrants .

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He has committed adultery....??????
How was this dealt with at the church and with you?????
It wasn't dealt with in the church at all. Furthermore there have been others in or church who have been less than faithful to their spouses and they are not dealt with either. And for me it is a non issue. When we first started dating he was actually engaged to some one else and I was one of two other women. We are both imperfect people add everyone is. As such it was something that never bothered me. Furthermore adultery in the biblical sense is when a man covets the wife of another man or when a wife seeks to know another man carnaly. I do not believe the bible actually prohibits men from having relations with women other than their own wives as long as the wife is taken care of.
Abraham, Issac, Jacob , David, Solomon all had children with women who were not their wives so I was never angry that he has had other lovers. I understand that this is not how everyone views things. I understand that although I may be fine with this in my relationship others may not be. I am not advocating that our way is right, o am simply saying that this is something I have accepted when I said I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Any one here have any experience with church discipline? And has any one ever heard of subjecting a wife to church discipline due to the actions of her husband?
My husband had pretty much severed ties with or church last December. We both grew up and were married in that church. Although my husband refuses to go and there is much bad blood between him and pretty much every one else there I have continued to attend with my family.
Recently my husband and I threw a medieval times themed birthday party for my nephew and we invited many of my nephew's friends from church plus their parents. The party was amazing, my husband recruited some of his subordinates from work and they decorated, made food and provided live entertainment which culminated in a drunken Kung fu battle (before anyone gets concerned it was a hung gar kung-fu demonstration between my husband abs his subordinates not a brawl between guests) . All the kids had a good time and I figured the parents would be grateful and see that despite any ill will between then and my husband we were all civil enough for the sake of the children. However, the party rekindled many ill feelings that my community of faith had towards my husband. They again were whispering about my husband's corrupt morals, rebellion, pridefulness, ect. The church elders resolved to subject him to church discipline, but the problem is he no longer goes to that (or any church) and thus church discipline means nothing. Seeing as how they are unable to affect him, they are applying the church discipline to me. Their argument is that since we were married in the church we are "one" as such I should be subject to anything my husband would be subject to. Is this fair? It was easy for him to turn his back on or church but it isn't for me. Church was my social circle and now I find myself being restricted from many of the activities of the congregation. I am no longer allowed at many of the social events and I am at a loss of what to do. I understand the purpose of discipline is restoration but what happens in this case where the person whom the discipline is intended does not desire restoration. Does it mean I am going to be denied restoration?
Sounds like some sort of cult to me, I'd study the bible and stop going, I can show you many verses that say to study the bible if you want.
But a lot of churches are cultish.

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like some sort of cult to me, I'd study the bible and stop going, I can show you many verses that say to study the bible if you want.
But a lot of churches are cultish.
That is a very simple thing to do but a big part of my issues is that church is my social circle. I genuinely enjoy doing the things like the picnics, teaching Sunday school, the sys and crafts class and the other things we do. Right now I am me incline to believe that the concept of church discipline is being misused and abused by individuals rather than this being a symptom of the church as a whole following false doctrine (i.e a cult).

Upvote 0

dannheim

Honey Badger
Oct 10, 2014
Rancho Mirage CA
✟23,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Any one here have any experience with church discipline? And has any one ever heard of subjecting a wife to church discipline due to the actions of her husband?
My husband had pretty much severed ties with or church last December. We both grew up and were married in that church. Although my husband refuses to go and there is much bad blood between him and pretty much every one else there I have continued to attend with my family.
Recently my husband and I threw a medieval times themed birthday party for my nephew and we invited many of my nephew's friends from church plus their parents. The party was amazing, my husband recruited some of his subordinates from work and they decorated, made food and provided live entertainment which culminated in a drunken Kung fu battle (before anyone gets concerned it was a hung gar kung-fu demonstration between my husband abs his subordinates not a brawl between guests) . All the kids had a good time and I figured the parents would be grateful and see that despite any ill will between then and my husband we were all civil enough for the sake of the children. However, the party rekindled many ill feelings that my community of faith had towards my husband. They again were whispering about my husband's corrupt morals, rebellion, pridefulness, ect. The church elders resolved to subject him to church discipline, but the problem is he no longer goes to that (or any church) and thus church discipline means nothing. Seeing as how they are unable to affect him, they are applying the church discipline to me. Their argument is that since we were married in the church we are "one" as such I should be subject to anything my husband would be subject to. Is this fair? It was easy for him to turn his back on or church but it isn't for me. Church was my social circle and now I find myself being restricted from many of the activities of the congregation. I am no longer allowed at many of the social events and I am at a loss of what to do. I understand the purpose of discipline is restoration but what happens in this case where the person whom the discipline is intended does not desire restoration. Does it mean I am going to be denied restoration?

Find another Non-legalistic church and tell your husband that alcohol at parties with children and drunkness is definitely not a fruit of the spirit.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't dealt with in the church at all. Furthermore there have been others in or church who have been less than faithful to their spouses and they are not dealt with either. And for me it is a non issue. When we first started dating he was actually engaged to some one else and I was one of two other women. We are both imperfect people add everyone is. As such it was something that never bothered me. Furthermore adultery in the biblical sense is when a man covets the wife of another man or when a wife seeks to know another man carnaly. I do not believe the bible actually prohibits men from having relations with women other than their own wives as long as the wife is taken care of.
Abraham, Issac, Jacob , David, Solomon all had children with women who were not their wives so I was never angry that he has had other lovers. I understand that this is not how everyone views things. I understand that although I may be fine with this in my relationship others may not be. I am not advocating that our way is right, o am simply saying that this is something I have accepted when I said I do.

So you both grew up as christians in christian families...
Both your dads are elders at this church....
You knew him growing up that he had this rebellion in him?????

Did your parents and or grandparents aprove of your marrying him 5 years ago????

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is a very simple thing to do but a big part of my issues is that church is my social circle. I genuinely enjoy doing the things like the picnics, teaching Sunday school, the sys and crafts class and the other things we do. Right now I am me incline to believe that the concept of church discipline is being misused and abused by individuals rather than this being a symptom of the church as a whole following false doctrine (i.e a cult).
I would look for a different church, no where in the bible does it say church discipline, at least not in mine, here's something to look at to find a better church.
Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
5 “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider,
search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Find another Non-legalistic church and tell your husband that alcohol at parties with children and drunkness is definitely not a fruit of the spirit.
To be really fair some context is needed. My husband is Chinese and he practices Hung-gar Shaolin Kung-fu and I am not taking about Wednesday night karate class at the Y, I am taking the real deal. It is something that is a generational tradition in his family going all the way back to the early Ming dynasty days. Xaio kun, the drunken style is very much rooted in tradition. The Bible's argument against drunkenness is decidedly in order for the faithful to not lose control of their bodies, I would argue that when he practices Xaio kun, he is very much in control despite his intoxication. It isn't drunken brawling, he was able to disarm all six of his Companions without injuring any of then. When the girl he named "Eurydice" charged him with a katana he was able to spin her around, take away the sword all without striking her even once. When the girl he named "Cassandra" just hid her face behind her fan and said "I don't want to be engineering manager" he stopped the broom handle just an inch from her face and and just tapped the fan out of her hand. The guys got it rougher though cause he disarmed them and knocked each one of them down. Also or church doesn't prohibit alcohol. I have been to other gatherings at which beer was served with children around (never to children though).

Upvote 0

Edo2

Mar 25, 2017
Usa
✟27,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since the discipline is being abused to settle personal matters, and unless their is a higher authority that has the ability to undo the discipline then really their is only 2 choices. They aren't doing this to correct and since it is personal, appealing to them will probably do little good as they won't listen to reason.

They are doing this to get a desired reaction, don't give it to them. In proverbs 25 it talks about feeding and giving drink to your enemy and it will heap burning coals on their head. You may not see them as your enemy but right now they aren't acting as your friend either. Don't let it cause the distress they are wanting and chances are the discipline gets lifted rather quickly.

The other option is too leave even though you don't want to. What's to stop them from doing this again when they don't like something your husband does and then you have to ask yourself is this the kind of church leadership you want to be under and more importantly is it the kind of leadership that Jesus would want to be under and follow. I know you enjoy the social aspect of it but you also need to think of the spiritual aspect of it and if they can do this then what else will they abuse to full fill a personal agenda. They are in a position of authority that requires trust to do the right thing and they just abused that trust you put into them. Forgive them as Jesus would but that doesn't mean you have to be a part of anymore either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you both grew up as christians in christian families...
Both your dads are elders at this church....
You knew him growing up that he had this rebellion in him?????

Did your parents and or grandparents aprove of your marrying him 5 years ago????
This is actually very funny because he use to be the church golden boy. So everyone approved and we're constantly telling me how lucky I am. He is tall,athletic, handsome, good with Cars, good with tools, basically the guy every one wished was their son. No body knew about his multiple girlfriends or any of the stuff he was involved in outside of church. Yes he had issues with one particular family but he mainly acted like they didn't exist. All of us younger people suspected there was something wanton and shady about him, truthfully speaking that's why I read so drawn to him. All the older people thought he was the best person ever, is because he use to do things like fix cars and cut trees for the more elderly church members and never seek payment. His rebellion became clear when he had a major falling out with several church mended at the same time back in December.

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Since the discipline is being abused to settle personal matters, and unless their is a higher authority that has the ability to undo the discipline then really their is only 2 choices. They aren't doing this to correct and since it is personal, appealing to them will probably do little good as they won't listen to reason.

They are doing this to get a desired reaction, don't give it to them. In proverbs 25 it talks about feeding and giving drink to your enemy and it will heap burning coals on their head. You may not see them as your enemy but right now they aren't acting as your friend either. Don't let it cause the distress they are wanting and chances are the discipline gets lifted rather quickly.

The other option is too leave even though you don't want to. What's to stop them from doing this again when they don't like something your husband does and then you have to ask yourself is this the kind of church leadership you want to be under and more importantly is it the kind of leadership that Jesus would want to be under and follow. I know you enjoy the social aspect of it but you also need to think of the spiritual aspect of it and if they can do this then what else will they abuse to full fill a personal agenda. They are in a position of authority that requires trust to do the right thing and they just abused that trust you put into them. Forgive them as Jesus would but that doesn't mean you have to be a part of anymore either.
So you agree that extending discipline meant for my husband to me is both unwarranted and unprecedented? Would you say discipline for my husband is even merited in this case. I believe no, my father believes no but his father believes yes.

Upvote 0

Edo2

Mar 25, 2017
Usa
✟27,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you agree that extending discipline meant for my husband to me is both unwarranted and unprecedented? Would you say discipline for my husband is even merited in this case. I believe no, my father believes no but his father believes yes.

Unwarranted for sure and i can not think of a precedent for it.

No I don't think discipline was warranted for him especially since their were members that got a dui and nothing was done. That was a far worse thing and they set a precedent when nothing was done.

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Unwarranted for sure and i can not think of a precedent for it.

No I don't think discipline was warranted for him especially since their were members that got a dui and nothing was done. That was a far worse thing and they set a precedent when nothing was done.
Also I personally believe the party should have been viewed as reconciliation. Nothing he did at the party was selfish or for him self. On the contrary he did everything in order to not let my personal clerical misjudgement from preventing my nephew from having a good party. It was my responsibility to arrange for entertainment and the grand gift but due to a series of miscommunications I really dropped the ball and there was not going to be a party if my husband didn't step up and take and take care if things in his unique way. His actions not only removed the onus my family put on me but also ensured my nephew had a memorable experience with his family. Furthermore my husband hosted even those families who he had personal beefs with and didn't treat aby of them with anything but hospitality for the sake of the children who are friends of my nephew. If that isn't a sign of reconciliation o don't know what is. Jesus said we have to love one an other he never said we had to like each other too.

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for the advice. In a couple of hours I have a meeting with the church elders, the head pastor and the associate pastors to discuss the church discipline to which my husband and I are subject. My husband as of right now is unaware of the discipline. Him and parents haven't really been speaking since he broke from the church and my parents feel is best to bit mention this to him yet.
The following are the points I plan to make:
1)I take it that the general consensus here is that it is biblically and litigurically unprecedented to subject a wife to discipline in proxy for her husband.
2)looking at the totality and the context of my husband's actions, discipline is not even warranted. There was nothing he did that would be considered "sinful" since his actions did nothing to violate "love God and love one another"
Is it wise for me to center my argument around these two points?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
that sounds very simple but this is where I grew up. And despite the imperfections (no church is perfect) this is my church home, and I just cannot bring myself to sever all my relationships there. To be honest, if I didn't have feelings and attachments to this church I wouldn't care a lick that I am subject to church discipline. (I would be like my husband)
I would like to add that I haven't brought this up to my husband yet. It's because things have been going so well between us lately. He hasn't been getting in trouble and he has been so supportive lately.

I know it isn't what you want to do, but I'd leave that group immediately. I'd leave them a letter stating why, and I'd go find a CHURCH.

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know it isn't what you want to do, but I'd leave that group immediately. I'd leave them a letter stating why, and I'd go find a CHURCH.
One of the reasons it is so hard for me is because my entire family is there. Also, before the church discipline I was heavily involved with the little ones. I taught an arts and crafts class and I was a camp mom. I really don't want to leave my little ones. It made my heart smile when I saw how happy and how much fun they are having at the party. I was extremely excited because they wanted to build a castle like the one my husband and his companions built for our next project. One little girl even came up to me and my husband near the end of the party to ask if for yet another craft project if we could do a pirate ship because she wanted to have a pirate princess party for her next birthday. Even though my husband doesn't like her parents, he told her to ask her daddy first and if he says yes, he will make sure camp mom has pirate ship plans. It pains me that almost everyone forgot that this was suppose to be for the kids.

Upvote 0

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the reasons it is so hard for me is because my entire family is there. Also, before the church discipline I was heavily involved with the little ones. I taught an arts and crafts class and I was a camp mom. I really don't want to leave my little ones. It made my heart smile when I saw how happy and how much fun they are having at the party. I was extremely excited because they wanted to build a castle like the one my husband and his companions built for our next project. One little girl even came up to me and my husband near the end of the party to ask if for yet another craft project if we could do a pirate ship because she wanted to have a pirate princess party for her next birthday. Even though my husband doesn't like her parents, he told her to ask her daddy first and if he says yes, he will make sure camp mom has pirate ship plans. It pains me that almost everyone forgot that this was suppose to be for the kids.

I know it's hard. It's always hard to leave a group where you have invested a large part of your life. But the group you have described here doesn't sound like a Christian group to me, they sound more like an all-controlling cult. This is terrible.

I see you have Baptist on your profile. Honestly, this is the first time I have EVER heard of a Baptist Church meting out church discipline, and I was a Baptist for 45 years. It makes it sound like there is a power hungry group running things there.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If your church privileges have been reduced, you may want to reduce your financial contribution to the church. If you are not contributing financially, that might be part of the politics of the church reducing your access.
They have the right to establish their own rules and restrict access. Adultery and fornication are definitely sins one should avoid. If one repents of adultery, there may be forgiveness, but not all are capable of forgiving. Some people wanted adulterers stoned to death. A church might decide either way. If your husband stayed angry over a toy Tonka truck that was taken from him when he was a child, it is likely some people will not want to forgive him. They may have sought vengeance by restricting you as well.

There are other churches and groups promoting fellowship. Volunteer work may lead to fellowship. There are millions of written works for those isolated and alone.

Upvote 0