lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
if your husband is dead set on not attending this church then he needs to make plans on becoming a communicant member of another church.....and you need to attend there with him.
My husband told me he doesn't like church so I don't make him go. I have been letting him alone to decide this for him self. I figure he would find a church when our if he is ever ready to.
Is he wanting to go to another church...or does he want to play Alexander the Great for the next 20 years...
Horses live about 40 years right? Well my husband named his 3 year old colt Bucephalus, so you tell me. But really, I use to have concerns about the whole "Alexander and his Companions" thing and I have talked to him about it. I have asked him if he actually believed himself to be the Greek king and he has told me of course not. He told me it is more of an identity he adopted to better foster cohesion in his clique. He said by assuming the mantle of Alexander the great and naming his core group the Companions he had fostered a "culture" and brotherhood if you will amongst his little group. As such it is easier to get them to follow him with out question (he pretty much formed a street gang at work, in layman's terms). He has his Companions and his best friend (the shop manager and owner's son) has his core group of welders and fitters who refer to them selves as "the Merry Men". If you ask me, my husband isn't playing superhero ,what he is doing is actually very clever. That's how he gets them to do so many non work related things for him. However, I do see why this type of thing could give church elders real cause for pause. I know for a fact his parents hate it. My father in law actually shouted at me when I quipped that my husband didn't name himself and that there is a reason parents don't name their kids Sinbad (you pretty much limit their career choices to either Comedian or Pirate).
I think one of the key things in all of this is your husband. Reading between the lines of what you've written, it sounds like he is a charismatic, talented, hard-working, and energetic person with many good qualities.
He truly is. He has a propensity to say some really idiotic things, and actively resists (some times to an unreasonable extreme) against anything he perceives as limits against his personal liberty but when given the choice to make freely he almost always chooses to diminish the burden of others.
However, I fear that he has some weak spots that might potentially harm him in the long run and cause a lot of hurt to those around him, including you.
This is what scares me to death. He has had no shortage of emergency room visits, nights in jail, and other issues which could have been avoided with something as simple as walking away.
I can understand how an exhibition of such skills would be an honorable thing to do to the art of it and respecting those who've been masters and students in the past. But being intoxicated and using one's mastery as a betting challenge against someone (probably of lesser skills)? This gives the impression of either someone who is cruel or someone who is deeply conflicted within.
I only partially agree here. Him getting sloshed and then challenging his 6 subordinates to battle him for control of the department, wasn't cruel or indicative of conflict. That really was all in good fun. He didn't beat any of them up, he just dodged their attacks and disarmed them. It was actually really funny to watch. Xaio kun is very entertaining, watching him stagger around avoiding blows is sort of like one of those old Mr Magoo cartoons. You know where it looks like he avoided catastrophe by chance alone. It was also funny because of his 6 subordinates 4 were already "Companions" and were much more acquainted with my husband than the other 2. It was like the four knew better than to rush in and attack first and waited for the other two to make the first move. However when he made the challenge to the other young man, the one from the family with whom he had the Tonka truck beef, that was problematic. Where as with his "Companions" there was no ill will or bad blood so the whole thing was silly and fun, with that man however the situation was different. To the credit of my husband's best friend and the "Companions" they knew that such a challenge would be potentially dangerous so his Companions dog piled him and hustled him inside and the best friend struck up a conversation with the other man to disengage him from the situation.
Perhaps you could find a church your husband would like and go with him. It might help him a lot to be able to separate his own spiritual life from his relationships with his parents.
I would love to but he isn't interested in any church. Usually when I go to church on Sundays he is doing God knows what with his cronies.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have never heard of such. I would be finding me a Christ centered church for sure. This one doesn't sound very committed to Jesus. Just focused on control of their subjects.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My husband told me he doesn't like church so I don't make him go. I have been letting him alone to decide this for him self. I figure he would find a church when our if he is ever ready to.

while I wouldn't be sure of your ability to physically force your husband to attend a church, it would, in fact, be commanded of him to attend a local assembly in order to partake in the sacraments and be subject to the authority of elders.

for someone who would have a profession of faith as a born again follower of Christ, attending the assembly of the saints is not an option, barring rather extreme circumstances.

to refrain from attendance simply because "i don't like church" is saying to Christ "I love you, but I hate your wife!".

Upvote 0

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
while I wouldn't be sure of your ability to physically force your husband to attend a church, it would, in fact, be commanded of him to attend a local assembly in order to partake in the sacraments and be subject to the authority of elders.

for someone who would have a profession of faith as a born again follower of Christ, attending the assembly of the saints is not an option, barring rather extreme circumstances.

to refrain from attendance simply because "i don't like church" is saying to Christ "I love you, but I hate your wife!".
All you say is true. I don't think he is right for not going, I really don't but like you said I can't physically force him to go. So all I can do is let him decide to go on his own. Also even if it were possible to drag him to go and he is there just to be there that will not do any good because his heart will already be closed to fellowship. This is one of those what can I really honestly do situations.

Upvote 0