Christians, how is the difference between black and white people explained? (serious)

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Beta Bernie said:
Just curious,

I am only recently a Christian, and was asked this today by an unsaved person. Not knowing myself, I subtly changed the subject...

I would just like to know your thoughts/opinions on this...

Would it be evolution to a certain extent?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Beta B

I wonder why you subtly changed the subject. Do you think that being a Christian (especially a new Christian) means you have to give the impression that you know all the answers?

Why not be honest and simply say "I don't know, but I'll check it out and get back to you."

Yes, evolution is the reason. Different human groups developed different levels of melanin production depending on their differing needs to be a) protected from UV radiation and b) exposed to enough sunlight to develop Vitamin D. This was possible when human populations were relatively isolated from each other. Today, thanks to migration, you will find fair-skinned people where you would normally expect dark-skinned people (e.g. Australia) and the reverse.

Upvote 0
Beta Bernie said:
I am only recently a Christian, and was asked this today by an unsaved person. Not knowing myself, I subtly changed the subject...

Why did you subtly change the topic? Do you really think that the other person didn't notice?

When someone evades a point, it becomes quickly obvious -- and it makes a very poor impression.

Why not just be honest and say that you didn't know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hungry Hungry Hippo

Bane of Marbles
Apr 23, 2005
I am the monster that crawl around in your vents a
✟1,770.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
*Jumps on the "CHANGING TEH SUBJECT IS WRONG!11" bandwagon*

But seriously, if you accept a 6,000 year old Earth (despite 11,400 year old trees) and special creation of one race of humans within a garden, there wouldn't be anywhere close to enough time for different skin colors to develop.

[Crackpot theory]

Let's just assume that different races somehow existed at the time of Noah. Noah was a total player, the bible authors covered that up, but he had wives from here to timbuktu, and kids to match.

[/Crackpot theory]

Upvote 0

cze_026

Jack-of-all-Trades
Jan 6, 2004
Midwest
✟15,378.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeliryor said:
The tower of Babel and microevolution would probably be a creationist answer

One of the Pastors at the Kansas BoE bit, honestly preaches that non-whites are different species. If that isn't a frightening bit. I heard him speak on radio coverage a while back. The radio crew couldn't break away fast enough. One more reason I avoid the creationist agenda.

Cze

Upvote 0

Talcos Stormweaver

Fighter of Ignorance!
Aug 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟890.00
Faith
Christian
Humanity somehow seperated to different regions, and adapted to the conditions, all still staying human, just getting a very very good tan, if you know what I mean. Or in some cases getting whiter than ghosts :D.

While a simplistic answer, that is essentially correct. There are multiple races due to division and isolation, in short.

The idea proposed by some (including myself) in this discussion is that a division of races could not have happened within the literal interpetation of the biblical timeframe.

The way I would think of it is that having multiple races is not feasible since a literal interpretation assumes that, at the time of Noah's survival from the flood, only 8 humans remained alive. I can not possibly imagine a way in which they could have given birth to the world's races.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
I know have posted on this before but of course I can't find it without a search engine. Skin color is determined by the amount and ratio of two melanin pigments brown to black eumelanin and reddish pheomelanin which are made in melanocytes and transferred to the keratinocytes of skin and hair in the form of pigment granules called melanosomes.

A major determinant is the MC1R receptor which is highly variable in humans. The last time I researched there were 65 known alleles of the MC1R gene. Dark skinned people partically people of African origin or dark East Indians generally have the consensus sequence indicating that the original humans had dark skin and that variations arose as we migrated out of Africa. There are other factors that contribute to color such as the size and distribution of melanosomes, the amount of a protein called tyrosine related protein II (TRP II) and the pH in the Melanosomes as the melanin is being synthesized. Eumelanin can be either black or brown and TRP may play a role in its darknes as well as stabilized the enzyme tyrosinase which gets the pigment production process started. I can post some references later but don't have them all at hand right now.

Here is a page with some basics that seems generally correct. I am not sure I agree with everything on it but don't have time for a more thorough analysis today.

FB

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Beta Bernie said:
Just curious,

I would just like to know your thoughts/opinions on this...

Would it be evolution to a certain extent?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Beta B

I have seen no one place in the Bible that says, "Some people are white, and some black because..."

But i think the incident at the tower of babal would be a good place to say it happened. I mean think, you would run from someone of a different color if you knew only your color. It would have helped the spread of humans faster than the change of languages alone.

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Spring TX formerly Beijing, China
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hungry Hungry Hippo said:
*Jumps on the "CHANGING TEH SUBJECT IS WRONG!11" bandwagon*

But seriously, if you accept a 6,000 year old Earth (despite 11,400 year old trees)

I don't believe that there are 11,400 year old trees anywhere. There is an overlapping tree ring sequence made up of lots of different and less longlived trees, which provides science with an 11,400 year long solar cycle record.

see http://media.dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041025/sunspot.html
s or the original article which I have in my library is S. K. Solanki, et al, "Unusual Activity of hte Sun during recent decades compared to the Previous 11,000 years, Nature Oct. 28, 2004, p. 1084

Upvote 0