Chimps and humans: How similar are we really?

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Except that this discussion is not about the existence of God, really, it is about the interpretation of a particular holy book of a particular religious sect. What empirical evidence do you have which bears on that question?

HEY! Its you guys who bring up "God", "Creationist" and other such things...all I had posted was of scientific curiosity not theological...the post was a RESPONSE to one of you guys. Even a question or comment about "the interpretation of a particular holy book of a particular religious sect" is NOT what this thread is about (but you keep insisting on bringing to that....not me).

If YOU (or the whole crowd) wishes to discuss "the interpretation of a particular holy book of a particular religious sect" then open a thread for that topic and I will take that challenge as well.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
HEY! Its you guys who bring up "God", "Creationist" and other such things...all I had posted was of scientific curiosity not theological...the post was a RESPONSE to one of you guys. Even a question or comment about "the interpretation of a particular holy book of a particular religious sect" is NOT what this thread is about (but you keep insisting on bringing to that....not me).

If YOU (or the whole crowd) wishes to discuss "the interpretation of a particular holy book of a particular religious sect" then open a thread for that topic and I will take that challenge as well.
One way or another, all of these discussions are about it. There is no other reason to subscribe to creationism.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
One way or another, all of these discussions are about it. There is no other reason to subscribe to creationism.

The reason to believe in Creation is because ONLY God could have correctly told us the Scientific Truth, more than 3,000 years ago, that we live in a multiverse, Gen 1:8 and Gen 2:4 that all living creatures were created and came forth from water, Gen 1:21 and that Humans (descendants of Adam) and prehistoric people could produce offspring together. Gen 6:4 Faith plus Fact equals God's Literal Truth.

If you would like to refute the above, then explain HOW any ancient man could have possibly written the correct scientific truth thousands of years before Science.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The reason to believe in Creation is because ONLY God could have correctly told us the Scientific Truth, more than 3,000 years ago, that we live in a multiverse, Gen 1:8 and Gen 2:4 that all living creatures were created and came forth from water, Gen 1:21 and that Humans (descendants of Adam) and prehistoric people could produce offspring together. Gen 6:4 Faith plus Fact equals God's Literal Truth.

If you would like to refute the above, then explain HOW any ancient man could have possibly written the correct scientific truth thousands of years before Science.

Except that the events of creation are out-of-order with what we know of natural history of the Earth and solar system. So I suppose if you ignore the stuff that doesn't jive with modern science, you can make up whatever claims you want about the Bible somehow 'predicting' scientific truths.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Except that the events of creation are out-of-order with what we know of natural history of the Earth and solar system. So I suppose if you ignore the stuff that doesn't jive with modern science, you can make up whatever claims you want about the Bible somehow 'predicting' scientific truths.

The problem is not with modern science but with the ancient traditional religious interpretation of men who lived thousands of years before Science. Genesis chapter one has been misunderstood since it can only be known by people of the last days who have the increased knowledge to read it, and understand it, for what it actually says, instead of what some ancient man thought it said. Dan 12:4

Here is the secret to understanding the Bible. The first 34 verses of Genesis tells us the complete History of God's creation of the perfect 3rd Heaven, including future events at the end of the present 6th Day. All of the rest of the Bible, from Gen 2:4 to the end of Revelation refers BACK to one of the Seven Days/Ages of the Creation as shown in those first 34 verses. God has but 7 Days and the 7th Day/Age has NO morning, NO evening, because it's Eternity. God Bless you

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Except that the events of creation are out-of-order with what we know of natural history of the Earth and solar system.

Not so, since each of God's Days/Ages is Billions of years in length in man's time. The beginning of our Cosmos was on the 3rd Day Gen 2:4 and we still live on the present 6th Day. Gen 1:27 Divide 3 Days into 13.8 Billion years and you will find that each Day is some 4.5+ Billion years in man's time.

Day 1. Jesus, the Light, comes forth from the Father into the physical world.
Day 2. Jesus and God make Adam's solid firmament and put it in the midst of water
Day 3. God moves water from under the firmament to the inside of the firmament and adds dry ground and Adam's FLAT Earth is made. Next, Jesus (Lord God) makes Adam of the dust and gives him life. Gen 2:4-7 Jesus puts Adam into the Garden showing that Adam was made First before the plants. Gen 1:12 Jesus also makes other Heavens (firmaments/universes). Gen 2:4
Day 4. Right on time, less than a Billion years after the Big Bang, the FIRST Stars light up while Adam watches. Gen 1:16
Day 5. Every living creature that moveth is created and brought forth from Water in total agreement with the scientific discovery announced last July. L.U.C.A.
Day 6. Today began when Jesus made the land animals and birds and Adam named them. Gen 2:19 Then, Eve was made. Gen 2:22 Adam sinned, had two children and Cain killed Abel. Then Adam and Eve were both created in God's image or born again Spiritually in Christ. Gen 5:1-2 They lived for 930 years AFTER they were born again Spiritually on Earth, and are with Jesus today.

It's the SAME for all Adams (Heb-mankind). We live on the present 6th Creative Day, the Day of Salvation while God is filling the 3rd Heaven with perfected Humankind (made perfect in Christ), at the end of the present 6th Day/Age.

Day 7. Born again Christians enter God's rest when God ceases from ALL of His creating. He ceases because His Creation has now been brought to perfection.

IOW, God's creation continues today. Gen 1:28-31 is FUTURE to our time. The reason you think the order is wrong is it's the thinking of ancient men and NOT what is actually written. God Bless you

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
No, the human/chimpanzee is something I do not accept for reasons I've explained often and at great length. I do believe in common descent, I just don't assume it and believe there are limits beyond which things cannot evolve. As far as the others, maybe some of them up to the level of genus but beyond that it starts to get really sketchy.

The reason I posted this in the first place is it's the phylogenetic tree used in this comparative genomics paper here: A high-resolution map of human evolutionary constraint using 29 mammals

It was the initial example paper I had referenced in this thread: How do creationists explain applications of common descent in modern comparative genomics?

Now, if you're telling me you're generally not accepting relationships beyond the genus level (or there abouts) and in particular rejecting the human position in the phylogenetic tree, then it's basically rejecting the data set on which a lot of comparative genomics studies are based. I'm not sure if you know this yet, but there is an intersection between comparative genomics and phylogenetics, and phylogenetic data itself used as part of algorithmic methodologies for performing genomic comparisons. Again, see the above referenced paper.

It just strikes me as odd to see you continually laud the results of comparative genomics and criticize others for their lack of understanding, when you appear to reject the underlying science on which certain comparative genomics studies are performed in the first place. Now, maybe I'm misconstruing what you've been writing, but based on your responses to my comparative genomics thread and you're unwillingness to discuss methodologies, I'd wager it's just something you've never considered.

At any rate, it strikes me as an odd contradiction in your postings. If I were you, I'd worry less about the results of comparative genomics papers and maybe spend some more time looking into how they are actually performed.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The reason I posted this in the first place is it's the phylogenetic tree used in this comparative genomics paper here: A high-resolution map of human evolutionary constraint using 29 mammals

It was the initial example paper I had referenced in this thread: How do creationists explain applications of common descent in modern comparative genomics?

Now, if you're telling me you're generally not accepting relationships beyond the genus level (or there abouts) and in particular rejecting the human position in the phylogenetic tree, then it's basically rejecting the data set on which a lot of comparative genomics studies are based. I'm not sure if you know this yet, but there is an intersection between comparative genomics and phylogenetics, and phylogenetic data itself used as part of algorithmic methodologies for performing genomic comparisons. Again, see the above referenced paper.

Well I don't see how I'm rejecting anything related to the paper, it's interesting. I don't think genomics has gotten to the point where determining phylogentics is definitively determined by genomic comparisons. I think the divergence between chimpanzees and humans is far higher then secular scientists can account for given all that has to happen genome wide in general and with regards to brain related genes in particular.

It just strikes me as odd to see you continually laud the results of comparative genomics and criticize others for their lack of understanding, when you appear to reject the underlying science on which certain comparative genomics studies are performed in the first place. Now, maybe I'm misconstruing what you've been writing, but based on your responses to my comparative genomics thread and you're unwillingness to discuss methodologies, I'd wager it's just something you've never considered.

I don't do algorithms, a little Trigonometry but these methodologies seem fine by me. Most of the time Darwinians are equivocating the supposed indel events with genomic comparisons using base pairs as the standard measurement. If I can't trust them to acknowledge the obvious why would I waste my time on the obscure?

At any rate, it strikes me as an odd contradiction in your postings. If I were you, I'd worry less about the results of comparative genomics papers and maybe spend some more time looking into how they are actually performed.

All I'm looking at is comparisons of sequences as measured in base pairs. The function and origin of specific genes involved are of particular interest and importance. The most basic details are obscured and denied outright in these discussions and those fallacious arguments have been repeated in this very thread. No one contradicts this obvious error that no creationist would be allowed to get away with.

So you are not impressed with my scientific acumen or intellectual vigor, let me ask you a pointed question. Is this an accurate statement? Why or why not?

The difference between chimpanzees and humans due to single-nucleotide substitutions averages 1.23 percent, of which 1.06 percent or less is due to fixed divergence, and the rest being a result of polymorphism within chimp populations and within human populations. Insertion and deletion (indel) events account for another approximately 3 percent difference between chimp and human sequences, but each indel typically involves multiple nucleotides. The number of genetic changes from indels is a fraction of the number of single-nucleotide substitutions (roughly 5 million compared with roughly 35 million). So describing humans and chimpanzees as 98 to 99 percent identical is entirely appropriate (Chimpanzee Sequencing 2005). (Claim CB144)
Understand, I know the answer here. The divergence, as a ratio, is measured in base pairs not events. Your answer tells me whether or not you will admit the obvious and whether or not I want to discuss methodologies.

Have a nice day :)
Mark

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ape is not a taxonomic category:

Definition of ape:
  1. monkey; especially : one of the larger tailless or short-tailed Old World forms. Or, any of various large tailless semi-erect primates of Africa and southeastern Asia (such as the chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, or gibbon) —called also anthropoid, anthropoid ape — compare great ape
  2. a : mimic, or, a large uncouth person. (Ape Merriam-Webster)

Biology is about how living systems work, it has nothing to do with dead ancestors. Your making an ad hominem attack argument, a fallacy, which means it's an argument that never happened. Yours is a withdraw failure and oh, BTW, I got a B in college Biology and Darwinism had nothing to do with any of the course material. Just like your argument has nothing to do with Biology and certainly, comparative genomics. Try actually doing the background reading before judging someone who has.

Mark
There's debate about if common language terms should be used for the phylogenetic groups they represent. Substitute Hominoidea if you'd prefer.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There's debate about if common language terms should be used for the phylogenetic groups they represent. Substitute Hominoidea if you'd prefer.
What you call it never really was all that important to me, I just think 'ape' is far to general. I've long felt that taxonomic categories are organized largely for convenience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you are not impressed with my scientific acumen or intellectual vigor, let me ask you a pointed question. Is this an accurate statement? Why or why not?

The difference between chimpanzees and humans due to single-nucleotide substitutions averages 1.23 percent, of which 1.06 percent or less is due to fixed divergence, and the rest being a result of polymorphism within chimp populations and within human populations. Insertion and deletion (indel) events account for another approximately 3 percent difference between chimp and human sequences, but each indel typically involves multiple nucleotides. The number of genetic changes from indels is a fraction of the number of single-nucleotide substitutions (roughly 5 million compared with roughly 35 million). So describing humans and chimpanzees as 98 to 99 percent identical is entirely appropriate (Chimpanzee Sequencing 2005). (Claim CB144)
Understand, I know the answer here. The divergence, as a ratio, is measured in base pairs not events. Your answer tells me whether or not you will admit the obvious and whether or not I want to discuss methodologies.

It depends on whom you talk to and what 'argument' you are trying to make.

Let us consider these hyptheticals.

Sequence from taxon 1:
ATTCGCTGATTGGCCATATTACGTA

Sequence from taxon 2:
ATTCGCTGATTGGCCAGGGCCCGGGGTATTACGTA

An insertion had occurred in taxon 2, of 10 bases.

A raw nucleotide divergence between the two is approximately 24%.
But the 10 inserted bases occurred all at once. Mutation-wise, they diverge at 4%.

You will have us accept the higher divergence, as best I can tell, solely because you believe it fits your argument better, that this higher divergence is a problem that evolution cannot explain (but it was 'explained' when it was discovered that indels are single events of multiple nucleotides).

Not that it really matters - if your preferred method is employed universally, this will by necessity make ALL compared taxa diverge by larger amounts - even those creationists believe to have descended from a common "kind".

Oops.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It depends on whom you talk to and what 'argument' you are trying to make.

Let us consider these hyptheticals.

Sequence from taxon 1:
ATTCGCTGATTGGCCATATTACGTA

Sequence from taxon 2:
ATTCGCTGATTGGCCAGGGCCCGGGGTATTACGTA

An insertion had occurred in taxon 2, of 10 bases.

A raw nucleotide divergence between the two is approximately 24%.
But the 10 inserted bases occurred all at once. Mutation-wise, they diverge at 4%.

There can only be two possible reasons for such an obvious error on arithmetic. Failure to comprehend the concept of ratios or a deliberate attempt to persuade people of an obvious false demonstration for sport. The two sequences only have 15 base pairs (BP) or nucleotides in common, they diverge by 14, the divergence is a ratio of same/different or 15/14. Thus the divergence is nearly 50% when comparing the two sequences. If this happens as the result of one or a dozen mutations dose not change the divergence (differences). The ratio is same/different.

You will have us accept the higher divergence, as best I can tell, solely because you believe it fits your argument better, that this higher divergence is a problem that evolution cannot explain (but it was 'explained' when it was discovered that indels are single events of multiple nucleotides).

No I would have you accept the divergence as about 4.43% because the Initial Sequence of the Chimpanzee Genome paper reports 1.43% due to substitution and 3% due to indel which comes to 4.43%. The reason that divergence that high is being misrepresented by Darwinians like Talk Origins isn't because there is confusion about the divergence as a percentage of the genome because there are uniformly right around 95-96%.

Not that it really matters - if your preferred method is employed universally, this will by necessity make ALL compared taxa diverge by larger amounts - even those creationists believe to have descended from a common "kind".

Oops.
Darwinians told us for a hundred years that there were various species and subspecies of humans. Since the DNA model led to direct comparisons of whole genome sequences we now know any two humans diverge by about 1/10th of 1%. Since the unveiling of the human genome projects landmark initial sequence paper in 2001 there have been at least half a dozen comparisons from whole genomes to whole chromosomes to brain related genes. No one is reporting divergence based on mutation events.

What you are saying is clearly and obviously wrong. This is the kind of thing the demonstrates that Darwinians lack the courage of their convictions. Your math is obviously wrong:

Now they do say that there are five million events but that doesn’t change the fact that the divergence is still 3% due to indels.

The conclusion is the old saw that we share 98.5% of our DNA sequence with chimpanzee is probably in error. For this sample, a better estimate would be that 95% of the base pairs are exactly shared between chimpanzee and human DNA. In this sample of 779 kb, the divergence due to base substitution is 1.4%, and there is an additional 3.4% difference due to the presence of indels. (Britten, R. J. Divergence between samples of chimpanzee and human DNA sequences is 5%, counting indels. Proc. Natl Acad.)
It says in no uncertain terms 5% counting indels, the number of events are irrelevant. This was well established before the Chimpanzee Genome paper:

By comparing the whole sequence with the human counterpart, chromosome 21, we found that 1.43% of the chromosome consists of single-base substitutions in addition to nearly 68,000 insertions or deletions. These differences are sufficient to generate changes in most of the proteins…Estimates of nucleotide substitution rates of aligned sequences range from 1.23% by bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) end sequencing to about 2% by molecular analysis, whereas the overall sequence difference was estimated to be approximately 5% by taking regions of insertions or deletions (indels) into account. (DNA sequence and comparative analysis of chimpanzee chromosome 22)
Now the sequences that line up the divergence can be between 1.23% and 2% but when taking the indels into consideration, actually gaps in the sequence, it's 5%. Nowhere is the number of events taken into consideration and the Chimpanzee Genome paper confirms this with five previous studies. The research that followed also confirmed the divergence as a percentage as the same:

Humans and chimpanzees shared a common ancestor ∼5-7 million years ago (Mya). The difference between the two genomes is actually not ∼1%, but ∼4%—comprising ∼35 million single nucleotide differences and ∼90 Mb of insertions and deletions. (Comparing the human and chimpanzee genomes: Searching for needles in a haystack. Genome Research)
There are no exceptions, just a mild variance.

I know why Talk Origins and so many others want to conflate the basic arithmetic. It's because the divergence jumping from 1.43% to 5% makes the mutation rate too high due to deleterious effects. They committed the same shameless error in math you just did:

The difference between chimpanzees and humans due to single-nucleotide substitutions averages 1.23 percent, of which 1.06 percent or less is due to fixed divergence, and the rest being a result of polymorphism within chimp populations and within human populations. Insertion and deletion (indel) events account for another approximately 3 percent difference between chimp and human sequences, but each indel typically involves multiple nucleotides. The number of genetic changes from indels is a fraction of the number of single-nucleotide substitutions (roughly 5 million compared with roughly 35 million). So describing humans and chimpanzees as 98 to 99 percent identical is entirely appropriate (Chimpanzee Sequencing 2005). (Talk Origins Claim CB144)​

This clearly and directly contradicts the research reports in the peer reviewed scientific literature. The position is indefensible, grossly in error and accepted without qualification by Darwinian uninterested in the actual facts.

we estimate that the genomic deleterious mutation rate (U) is at least 3. This high rate is difficult to reconcile with multiplicative fitness effects of individual mutations and suggests that synergistic epistasis among harmful mutations may be common. (Estimate of the Mutation Rate per Nucleotide in Humans Michael W. Nachmana and Susan L. Crowella Genetics, 297-304, September 2000)
That's at 1.33%, what happens when it goes up the 5%?

Estimates of mutation rate assuming different divergence times and different ancestral population sizes…Calculations are based on a generation length of 20 years and average autosomal sequence divergence of 1.33%…(Estimate of the Mutation Rate per Nucleotide in Humans Michael W. Nachmana and Susan L. Crowella Genetics, 297-304, September 2000)
The explanation I get from someone who know what their talking about is this:

A mutation rate of 2.3 x 10^-8 per generation for each base pair in the genome (for substitutions) predicts the following. Humans are separated from the human/chimpanzee common ancestor by roughly 350,000 generations, and there are 3 x 10^9 base pairs in the genome, so we should expect to find 2.3 x 10-8 x 3 x 10^9 x 3.5 x 10^5 = 24 million accumulated mutations in humans in that amount of time. Add the same number in chimpanzees, and that mutation rate predicts 48 million single-base differences. That's a little higher than the 35 million observed single-base subsitution differences between humans and chimps (not surprising, since that mutation rate is at the upper end of estimates), but certainly in the right ball park. And the error is in the wrong direction, as far as you're concerned: the known mutation rate is more than enough to explain the observed differences between humans and chimps, not hopelessly inadequate, as you claim.

Do the same calculation for the indels. The estimated number of indel mutations should be 2.3 x 10^-9 x 3 x 10^9 x 3.5 x 10^5 = 2.4 million predicted indels in humans, and an equal number predicted in chimpanzees, for ~5 million predicted indel differences between them. The observed number of indel differences is (as you have pointed out several times) 5 million, exactly as predicted. (Do Chimps and Humans Share a Common Ancestor? Primer for a formal debate Post 84)
If that's the explanation then why try to make the divergence, know to be 95% to 96% from the best research available out to be 98% and some change? It also comes to mind since the split was about 5 million years ago and our ancestors were continuously evolving we only diverge by less then 1%. It's the deleterious effects of mutations, they simply can't account for them so they simply pretend they are not there.

If I can't expect the known divergence to be honestly admitted when I know what it is, how am I supposed to expect clarification when something as complicated as mutation rates are calculated?

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If I can't expect the known divergence to be honestly admitted when I know what it is, how am I supposed to expect clarification when something as complicated as mutation rates are calculated?

I did have a lengthy reply written, but it was lost when I had to re-log in to post it., I will get back to it later.

I will only say that what you pretend to know and how that translates into things like mutations rates is immaterial when you continue to want to compare apples and oranges and then complain about the grapes.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I did have a lengthy reply written, but it was lost when I had to re-log in to post it., I will get back to it later.

I will only say that what you pretend to know and how that translates into things like mutations rates is immaterial when you continue to want to compare apples and oranges and then complain about the grapes.
I'm telling you why this statement is reality:

The difference between the two genomes is actually not ∼1%, but ∼4%—comprising ∼35 million single nucleotide differences and ∼90 Mb of insertions and deletions. (Comparing the human and chimpanzee genomes: Searching for needles in a haystack. Genome Research)​

And this one is obvious nonsense:

The number of genetic changes from indels is a fraction of the number of single-nucleotide substitutions (roughly 5 million compared with roughly 35 million). So describing humans and chimpanzees as 98 to 99 percent identical is entirely appropriate (Chimpanzee Sequencing 2005). (Talk Origins Claim CB144)​

The comparison based on base pairs has nothing to do with the number of mutation events. This refutes the argument you made conclusively. No need for a lengthy response about mutation rates, if you can't get the most basic comparison right there is really no point.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem is not with modern science but with the ancient traditional religious interpretation of men who lived thousands of years before Science. Genesis chapter one has been misunderstood since it can only be known by people of the last days who have the increased knowledge to read it, and understand it, for what it actually says, instead of what some ancient man thought it said. Dan 12:4

Here is the secret to understanding the Bible. The first 34 verses of Genesis tells us the complete History of God's creation of the perfect 3rd Heaven, including future events at the end of the present 6th Day. All of the rest of the Bible, from Gen 2:4 to the end of Revelation refers BACK to one of the Seven Days/Ages of the Creation as shown in those first 34 verses. God has but 7 Days and the 7th Day/Age has NO morning, NO evening, because it's Eternity. God Bless you
Comment: if the bible is an accurate account of the origin of the universe, etc., warped by the failings of ancient writers to understand the material into a practically unrecognizable story, then what is the point?

If you can't derive that information from the bible alone, then how can you actually tell that the bible gives that information? That is, any text that doesn't inform you on some matter by itself is useless as a teaching tool in regards to that subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
1. Comment: if the bible is an accurate account of the origin of the universe, etc., warped by the failings of ancient writers to understand the material into a practically unrecognizable story, then what is the point?

2. If you can't derive that information from the bible alone, then how can you actually tell that the bible gives that information? That is, any text that doesn't inform you on some matter by itself is useless as a teaching tool in regards to that subject.

1. The point is that ONLY by Faith can one come to know God. The 33,000 plus denominations all preach different messages, making it impossible for anyone to really know God's Truth according to all of them. This is God's way of separating the believers from the non believers. There are people of Faith in ALL denominations but not all the people of the denomination have God's Faith. The just are saved by Faith, a Gift from God to those who seek His Truth. Heb 11:6

2. Agreed, IF there is no other support. That's WHY I seek the agreement of Scripture science and history. Faith plus discovered Fact equals God's Truth. Here's an example:

Genesis 1:21 tells us that God made "every living creature that moveth" from WATER. He told us this more than 3k years ago. Last July, Science announced the SAME since the last universal common ancestor of all life on Earth had its origin in WATER.

Gen 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly,

www.smithsonianmag.com/.../behold-luca-last-universal-common-ancestor-life-earth-...
Jul 26, 2016 - LUCA's genes are those of an extremophile organism that likely lived in an area where seawater

God's Truth must agree with the discovered Truths of mankind or you have misunderstood. God Bless you

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
1. The point is that ONLY by Faith can one come to know God. The 33,000 plus denominations all preach different messages, making it impossible for anyone to really know God's Truth according to all of them. This is God's way of separating the believers from the non believers. There are people of Faith in ALL denominations but not all the people of the denomination have God's Faith. The just are saved by Faith, a Gift from God to those who seek His Truth. Heb 11:6
Define "God's Faith".

2. Agreed, IF there is no other support. That's WHY I seek the agreement of Scripture science and history. Faith plus discovered Fact equals God's Truth. Here's an example:

Genesis 1:21 tells us that God made "every living creature that moveth" from WATER. He told us this more than 3k years ago. Last July, Science announced the SAME since the last universal common ancestor of all life on Earth had its origin in WATER.

Gen 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly,

www.smithsonianmag.com/.../behold-luca-last-universal-common-ancestor-life-earth-...
Jul 26, 2016 - LUCA's genes are those of an extremophile organism that likely lived in an area where seawater

God's Truth must agree with the discovered Truths of mankind or you have misunderstood. God Bless you
Full 5th day: "20And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. 21And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 22And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. 23And the evening and the morning were the fifth day."

Sigh, "which the waters brought forth abundantly" means that these organisms lived in the water, not that they were necessarily made from water. Most of the other bible versions other than the KJV (which this is a quote from) make that very clear. Also, don't forget that this passage suggests that birds preceded land animals such as reptiles (made on the 6th day), which is not an order of appearance corroborated by scientific findings.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Comment: if the bible is an accurate account of the origin of the universe, etc., warped by the failings of ancient writers to understand the material into a practically unrecognizable story, then what is the point?

If you can't derive that information from the bible alone, then how can you actually tell that the bible gives that information? That is, any text that doesn't inform you on some matter by itself is useless as a teaching tool in regards to that subject.
Yea about that, I mean information. Do you think a peer reviewed article can get basic math wrong and still make it through peer review. I only ask because Talk Origins is accusing the Chimpanzee Genome Consortium of exactly that.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yea about that, I mean information. Do you think a peer reviewed article can get basic math wrong and still make it through peer review. I only ask because Talk Origins is accusing the Chimpanzee Genome Consortium of exactly that.
Hmm, Talk Origins is not an authority on that matter and hosts creationism vs. evolution debates, so wild accusations are not out of the question.

As far as I can tell, the Chimpanzee Genome Consortium doesn't exist; are you referring to the Chimpanzee Genome Project? That was through the combined efforts of multiple organizations, and the analysis of the genome was published in 2005. Unsurprisingly, the understanding of genes then was not what it is now. Hence why I shall provide a much more up to date comparison of human and chimpanzee genomes (from 2014) Initial sequence of the chimpanzee genome and comparison with the human genome : Article : Nature

It is entirely possible the old, 2005 article was being referenced in whatever you are referencing from Talk Origins. It's severely out of date and bound to have failings related to genome understandings and improvements that followed its publication.

Do not get me wrong, peer review is not a perfect process. There indeed have been articles that were published in which math errors were present, or the methodology was flawed, etc. These are noticed fairly quickly by the scientific community, as the more people that read an article, the more likely at least 1 person is going to notice the error/s. So, news that an article is flawed spreads fairly fast.

However, addressing the problem by withdrawing a published paper is often quite slow, and some organizations willing to publish scientific papers make it a huge chore. Hence why you shouldn't consider sources such as National Geographic reliable; they are more in it for the public interest than the accuracy. I refer you to this article published by Nature, one of the most reliable scientific journals: Reproducibility: A tragedy of errors

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm, Talk Origins is not an authority on that matter and hosts creationism vs. evolution debates, so wild accusations are not out of the question.

They got it wrong based on their source material, it's as simple as that.

As far as I can tell, the Chimpanzee Genome Consortium doesn't exist; are you referring to the Chimpanzee Genome Project? That was through the combined efforts of multiple organizations, and the analysis of the genome was published in 2005. Unsurprisingly, the understanding of genes then was not what it is now. Hence why I shall provide a much more up to date comparison of human and chimpanzee genomes (from 2014) Initial sequence of the chimpanzee genome and comparison with the human genome : Article : Nature

The article is by lined; The Chimpanzee Sequencing and Analysis Consortium. The reference in Talk Origins is definitely referring to that paper. It was a landmark publication and Chimpanzee Genome is used interchangeably with with the Chimpanzee Genome Consortium. I really don't know what kind of a distinction you are trying to make here.

It is entirely possible the old, 2005 article was being referenced in whatever you are referencing from Talk Origins. It's severely out of date and bound to have failings related to genome understandings and improvements that followed its publication.

That's not been my experience, generally when a publication like this comes out the facts and statistics don't change a lot and in this case haven't.

Do not get me wrong, peer review is not a perfect process. There indeed have been articles that were published in which math errors were present, or the methodology was flawed, etc. These are noticed fairly quickly by the scientific community, as the more people that read an article, the more likely at least 1 person is going to notice the error/s. So, news that an article is flawed spreads fairly fast.

There is nothing wrong with the comparison or the research, these are a lot of the same people who did the Human Genome Project. If your acquainted with sfs, he was on staff with the Chimpanzee Genome Consortium, if you are curious about what happened there and since, he would be the one to talk to. He seems to think they both got it wrong, although he never said why.

However, addressing the problem by withdrawing a published paper is often quite slow, and some organizations willing to publish scientific papers make it a huge chore. Hence why you shouldn't consider sources such as National Geographic reliable; they are more in it for the public interest than the accuracy. I refer you to this article published by Nature, one of the most reliable scientific journals: Reproducibility: A tragedy of errors

Nature published the findings of the Chimpanzee Genome Consortium in 2005, I don't think I know what your getting at. I wasn't suggesting it should be withdrawed, in fact, I would find that quite disturbing. I like National Geographic for it's maps and it's photos but hardly consider it a primary source for this sort of thing.

Upvote 0