CAN YOU LOSE YOUR SALVATION BY NOT BEING FAITHFUL TO THE END?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Those who do not keep the Commandments of Christ are the children of the devil, which is to say, the children of man.
Which commandments...?

That passage from 1 John you are quoting, in 1 John he also tells us that the commands he is talking about is (basically the two Jesus gave) is "the one that was from the beginning", mainly, "Love", and was way before the ten commandments or the the letter of the law, "written in the form and/or way of a command" or list of commandments, Love was way before any of that, and any "way of command"... And anything that is, or was, viewed and is taken as a command is a "curse"... The law was meant to "catch evil and wicked men in their own cunning", and shows just how much more cunning God is, and how well he knows us...

See the, or "any commandments" are a "way"... and if you go by any other commandments (or way), other than the two Jesus gave, it won't work, and your gonna fail, or, otherwise, you are going to be deceived into believing you or I, or anyone besides Jesus Christ and/or God Himself could perfectly keep and obey them perpetually... and under the most unique kinds of types of temptations, and a most unique type or sort of pressure and stress, most of us do not know, and I pray you never know...

Anyway, I don't know why I added that last part...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Once saved always saved is wrong. We need to ask for forgiveness. You don't wash your clothes and then once they get dirty say,

"I washed my clothes five years ago and therefore never need to wash them again. There is no dirt on my clothes, they are clean!"

That would be ridiculous. Yet people somehow believe that can be applied to our salvation, that it is somehow a one time repentance and we never ask for forgiveness again. People use many verses strung together while ignoring others such as when Jesus said, "Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is near."

I don't know if you can tell but this whole once saved always saved thing really bothers me and especially when people just accept it and don't question it at all.
@LoveGodsWord you rated his post "winner" but he talks about ongoing continual confession and repentance (that is ""maintaining a humble, repentant attitude and and nature) throughout this life", and I was just wondering if that is something you do LGW...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can we lose our salvation?

Yes, I think the scripture points to that we can. I believe we, as the elect have to choose to be faithful, faith by itself is not good enough as James 2 says" "Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself." I think we have to separate "works" in Romans from "works" in James. I believe Romans talks about works of the Mosaic Law, and James about works as being faithful to Christ.

Matthew 18:12-14
“What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? “If it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. “So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.

Romans 2:6-11
... who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS: to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God.

Matthew 25:34, 40-41, 45-46
Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’
Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ “These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Faith and faithfullness I believe must be together. Faith doesn't give automatic faithfulness, but faithfulness never comes without faith. Therefore we elect must strive to be faithful, run to win the race and not be disqualified as Paul puts it.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.

Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

With that said I don't think anyone can be perfectly faithful, so it's always the mercy of Christ, his forgiveness that saves a person, but if we don't have works we show by the life we choose to live, that our faith is disqualified.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You do not believe that the Lord could have been the one who raised Samuel to speak with Saul? That it was not by the power of the witch of Endor that he was raised but that it was instead by the Power of the Lord?

Did Samuel in chapter 28 speak that which was contrary to God? If not then does Satan(and the other fallen angels) speak God's truth to people when they are summoned(as Samuel did to Saul in 1 Samuel 28)?

Why was the witch of Endor terrified when she Saw Samuel? Why was she so afraid of what rose up from the earth if she had done this so often before? Why was she more terrified by the form of Samuel that was risen, than by Saul who in her mind only sought to kill those like her?
Remember it was not until she saw Samuel that she was afraid.

12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.
13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

Not to detract from the current OP brother I just want to get a better understanding of how you view this chapter, and what your answers are to each of these questions. If you would like we can discuss this over message if you feel it would distract others from the OP. I'll leave it up to you brother, I look forward to your response.

Hello brother StephenDiscipleofYHWH nice to see you.

I will add the rest of the post and scriptures provided before commenting further for background below. As posted earlier...

Using a necromancer or those that have a familiar Spirit was an abomination in God's eyes and was against God's Mosaic laws as shown here....

DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12 [10], There shall not be found among you any one that makes his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that uses divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. [11], Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. [12], For all that do these things are an abomination to the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD your God does drive them out from before you.

The MOSAIC law commanded God's people not to contect those with familiar spirits of necromancers and these people were to be put to death...

Commandments of God from the Mosaic law.

LEVITICUS 19:31: Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them; I am the Lord your God.

The Hebew word used here for defiled is טמא; ṭâmê' (H2930) A primitive root; to be foul, especially in a ceremonial or moral sense (contaminated): - defile (self), pollute (self), be (make, make self, pronounce) unclean, X utterly.

LEVITICUS 20:27: A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones; their blood shall be upon them.

According to God's WORD our SINS separate us from God as shown in these scriptures here...

PROVERBS 28:9 [9], He that turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

ISAIAH 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, so that he will not hear.

According to God's WORD God departed from King Saul because of his SINS and God would not hear him *ISAIAH 59:2; PROVERBS 28:9 and would no longer speak to him through his dreams or His prophets *1 SAMUEL 28:6; 1 SAMUEL 28:15-18.

Now before continuing lets summarise the scriptures so far;

1. God's people were forbidden by God as a commandment of God they were not
to consult witches and those with familiar spirits and necromancers *DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12; LEVITICUS 19:31.

2. Those who practiced witchcraft or those having familiar spirits or necromancers were to be put to death *LEVITICUS 20:27.

3. Those who practiced witchcraft with familiar spirits and necromancers were an abomination in God's eyes *DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12

4. These practices were a demonic abominiation to God which was forbidden in the Mosaic law *LEVITICUS 19:31; LEVITICUS 20:27; DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12.

5. God had departed from King Saul because of his SINS and God would no longer speak with him in His appointed ways through dreams and His prophets when Saul was seeking council of God when God's judgments were about to be poured out because of his sins *1 SAMUEL 28:6; 1 SAMUEL 28:15-18

Now the scriptures in regards to the witch of Endor that had the familiar spirit says this..

1 SAMUEL 28:6-19
[6], And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.
[7], Then said Saul to his servants, Seek me a woman that has a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that has a familiar spirit at Endor.
[8], And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray you, divine to me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name to you.
[9], And the woman said to him, Behold, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: why then lay you a snare for my life, to cause me to die?
[10], And Saul swore to her by the LORD, saying, As the LORD lives, there shall no punishment happen to you for this thing.
[11], Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up to you? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.
[12], And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spoke to Saul, saying, Why have you deceived me? for you are Saul.
[13], And the king said to her, Be not afraid: for what saw you? And the woman said to Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
[14], And he said to her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man comes up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.
[15], And Samuel said to Saul, Why have you disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answers me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called you, that you may make known to me what I shall do.
[16], Then said Samuel, Why then do you ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from you, and is become your enemy?
[17], And the LORD has done to him, as he spoke by me: for the LORD has rent the kingdom out of your hand, and given it to your neighbor, even to David:
[18], Because you obeyed not the voice of the LORD, nor executed his fierce wrath on Amalek, therefore has the LORD done this thing to you this day.
[19], Moreover the LORD will also deliver Israel with you into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shall you and your sons be with me: the LORD also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.

Now BEFORE this time that King Saul visited the witch with a familiar spirit, SAMUEL had died *1 SAMUEL 28:3. BEFORE SAMUEL'S death Samuels final words to King Saul because of his SINS were;

1 SAMUEL 15:26-29
(26) And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.
(27) And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent.
(28) And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbour of thine, that is better than thou.
(29) And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

Of course, the Strength of Israel is God himself (Psalm 18:2, 46:1, 68:35).

We know the outcome of this story from the orginial prophecy against King Saul while he was alive and elsewhere in the scriptures *1 SAMUEL 30 and elsewhere it is written of King Saul;

1 CHRONICLES 10:13 [13] So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it.

Now let's pull it all together.

1. God's people were forbidden by God as a commandment of God they were not
to consult witches and those with familiar spirits and necromancers *DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12; LEVITICUS 19:31.

2. Those who practiced witchcraft and those having familiar spirits or necromancers were to be put to death *LEVITICUS 20:27.

3. Those who practiced witchcraft and those with familiar spirits or necromancers were an abomination in God's eyes *DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12

4. These practices were a demonic abominiation to God which was forbidden in Mosaic law *LEVITICUS 19:31; LEVITICUS 20:27; DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12.

5. God had departed from King Saul because of his SINS and God would no longer speak with him in His appointed ways through dreams and God's prophets as foretold by Samuel when he was alive when Saul was seeking council of God when God's judgments were about to be poured out because of his sins *1 SAMUEL 15:26-29; 1 SAMUEL 28:6; 1 SAMUEL 28:15-18

What makes you think that when God said to King Saul when Samuel was alive that "you have rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel" *1 SAMUEL 15:26-29 that God changed his mind?

If King Saul was still in his SINS and God had departed from him and rejected him as KING and would no longer communicate to Saul in his appointed ways through dreams and His prophets because of his SINS then why would God change his mind and start communicating to King Saul again in a way that God had forbidden his people to do as a commandment in His Word by telling his people NOT to communicate to the dead? God's WORD says that this practice was an ABOMINATION to the Lord.

Why would God use a demonic practice that he commanded his people not to practice through his law (under death penalty) in place of his appointed ways (through dreams and His prophets)?

Do God's come out of the earth *1 SAMUEL 28:13?

What is mean't by the familiar spirit saying "Why have you disquieted me, to bring me up?" * 1 SAMUEL 28:13-15?

Your questions
Did Samuel in chapter 28 speak that which was contrary to God?
It was not Samuel it was a familiar Spirit. Samuel already outlined what would happen to King Saul while he was alive in *1 SAMUEL 15:26-29
If not then does Satan(and the other fallen angels) speak God's truth to people when they are summoned (as Samuel did to Saul in 1 Samuel 28)?
2 CORINTHIANS 11:14-15 [14], And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. [15], Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

God's law and commandment to God's people was not to consult with those with familiar Spirits. What is the payoff here? It is alright to not believe God's WORD and consult with those who have familiar spirits when God's WORD commands us not to.
Why was the witch of Endor terrified when she Saw Samuel? Why was she so afraid of what rose up from the earth if she had done this so often before? Why was she more terrified by the form of Samuel that was risen, than by Saul who in her mind only sought to kill those like her?
Remember it was not until she saw Samuel that she was afraid.
12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.
13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
All part of the show. Before this time God's people had gone through the land according to God's WORD while Samuel was alive and killed those who had familiar Spirits and necromancers according to Gods WORD *1 SAMUEL 28:3; LEVITICUS 20:27. The witch thought it was a trap and she would be put to death according to the Word of God.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
CAN YOU LOSE YOUR SALVATION BY NOT BEING FAITHFUL TO THE END?

Australia,

Can you lose your JOB by not being faithful to come in on time? Yes!
Can a lose your marriage by not being faithful to your spouse? Yes!

Can you lose your SALVATION by not being faithful to the end? YES!!!

Hello brother PanDeVida, Great post! Thanks for sharing it is right to the point with some great examples.

God bless

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. Can we lose our salvation?

2. What does it mean only those that are faithful to the end will be saved?

3. Saved from what?

4. Is anyone saved while living in a life of known unrepentant sin?

Only friendly discussion please and please provide scriptures for your claims.

God bless.

It can be compared to a party. All those who have clean clothes are invited. If there is person who has no clean clothes, Jesus is offering new clean clothes for him freely. Now, if person accepts it and takes the clean clothes (the forgiveness and salvation from the judgment that would become because of sin) he can enter the party. But if the person takes them and then mess up them and don’t have clean clothes anymore, he can’t enter the party. So, if you have received the clothes, keep them clean! :)

In other words, this means, eternal life is for righteous. The words Jesus declared can change person and make him righteous. If person receives the words but then later rejects it and becomes unrighteous, the salvation has become useless for him.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.

1 John 3:7-10

…That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

Upvote 0

psalm911

Feb 26, 2019
kingston
✟6,171.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi brother psalm911, thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I think in general God never leaves us and is always calling us because he is not willing that anyone of us should be lost or perish *2 PETER 3:9. On the other hand it is us who leaves God and can greive his Spirit if we turn away from God and his Word *PROVERBS 28:9; ISAIAH 59:2; 1 JOHN 2:3-4; 1 JOHN 3:3-10; HEBREWS 6:4-8. Thanks for sharing brother.

God bless

We speak that we do know and testify that we have seen.

John 14:21 King James Version (KJV)
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 6:40 King James Version (KJV)
40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so was the Son of God lifted up.

As it is written:

The Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

I know not anything among you save Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello brother Neostarwcc, welcome to the thread and nice to meet you :).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have a few questions for you to consider.

1. Did JUDAS receive the Holy Spirit with the rest of the 12?
2. How do you reconcile HEBREWS 6:4-8 with what you have posted above?

HEBREWS 6:4-8 [4], For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, [5], And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [6], If they shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. [7], For the earth which drinks in the rain that comes oft on it, and brings forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receives blessing from God:
[8], But that which bears thorns and briers is rejected, and is near to cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts brother,

God bless

No, Judas didn't have the Holy Spirit. Judas was a false believer. Multiple times in scripture Jesus called Judas the Son of Perdition and lost. Since Judas was a false believer he never would have been given the Holy Spirit. Plus, the Holy Spirit never came upon the 12 until after Jesus rose from the dead and Judas had killed himself see Acts 2 1-4.

I find that the KJV describes Hebrews 6 a lot better than the other translations.

*edit* Oh nvm you quoted the KJV already. My bad.

Notice in verse 6 it says "If they shall fall away" this means that the writer of Hebrews is saying that If it were possible for born again believers to fall away that it would be impossible for them to get their salvation back because they would be crucifying the son of God afresh. To me Hebrews 6 is talking about how it is further impossible to lose your salvation because if it were possible for a born again believer to fall away (Which other verses in the Bible that have been quoted already say is impossible) than it would be impossible for them to get their salvation back.

Don't forget scripture doesn't contradict itself. Just because something seems to be contradictory in scripture that means you have to examine the problematic verses of scripture a little bit deeper. The Bible as a whole teaches that you cannot lose your salvation. There are many verses in the Bible that teach Eternal Security for born again believers and the verses of scripture that seem to be teaching against Eternal Security really aren't.

Now, I'm not 100% educated on scripture. I've only been a Christian for 6 years now. But, I know that I am not wrong because of verses that cannot be explained away like John 6:37-40 which teaches that Jesus won't lose ONE single born again believer and John 10:27-29... just really multiple parts of the Bible that cannot be explained away. Feel free to try to explain just how a person can lose their salvation. Just exactly how the new birth can be undone and just how Jesus lied in multiple parts of scripture including the one where he said that the Holy Spirit will live inside of a believer for forever? In order for someone to lose their salvation they would have to lose the Holy Spirit. Please show me one verse in which it says that the Holy Spirit will leave a believer. No, it says the opposite (John 14:16).

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, Judas didn't have the Holy Spirit. Judas was a false believer. Multiple times in scripture Jesus called Judas the Son of Perdition and lost. Since Judas was a false believer he never would have been given the Holy Spirit. Plus, the Holy Spirit never came upon the 12 until after Jesus rose from the dead and Judas had killed himself see Acts 2 1-4.
Indeed brother but did he receive the gifts of the Spirit *MATTHEW 10:1? Is it possible to receive the gifts of the Spirit without being saved? *MATTHEW 7:21-23? if we do not endure to the end? Yes it is because a BELIEVER can become and UNBELIEVER and depart from the faith *HEBREWS 6:4-8; HEBREWS 10:26-32. Another point here is that the gifts of the Spirit are not a sign of someone that has salvation there will also be counterfeits *2 CORINTHIANS 12:13-15; MATTHEW 24:24.
I find that the KJV describes Hebrews 6 a lot better than the other translations. *edit* Oh nvm you quoted the KJV already. My bad.
No problem brother. Sometimes I have to go back and re-edit things as well.
Notice in verse 6 it says "If they shall fall away" this means that the writer of Hebrews is saying that If it were possible for born again believers to fall away that it would be impossible for them to get their salvation back because they would be crucifying the son of God afresh. To me Hebrews 6 is talking about how it is further impossible to lose your salvation because if it were possible for a born again believer to fall away (Which other verses in the Bible that have been quoted already say is impossible) than it would be impossible for them to get their salvation back.
The scripture in HEBREWS 6 says;

HEBREWS 6:4-8 [4], For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, [5], And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [6], If they shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. [7], For the earth which drinks in the rain that comes oft on it, and brings forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receives blessing from God: [8], But that which bears thorns and briers is rejected, and is near to cursing; whose end is to be burned.

NOTE: The CONTEXT here is v4-5 that states that those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost (Born Again believers) and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come. V6 is stating that if these BELIEVERS that were made partakers of the Holy Ghost should FALL AWAY back into a life of SIN and who are in need of repentance crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh putting JESUS to open shame there is no other means of salvation that they are neglecting.

Fall away παραπίπτω; parapiptō (G3895) means fall aside; fall away that is to no longer follow God's WORD.

v6 therefore is in reference to those who were born again Christians having received God's Spirit v4 that have fallen away from God's Word back to a life of sin from which there is no salvation and from BELIEVERS they became UNBELIEVERS by turning away from following God's WORD.

The same thoughts are further expressed in HEBREWS 10;

HEBREWS 10:26-32 [26], For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, [27], But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. [28], He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:[29], Of how much sorer punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant, with which he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has done despite to the Spirit of grace? [30], For we know him that has said, Vengeance belongs to me, I will recompense, said the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. [31], It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. [32], But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great fight of afflictions.

NOTE: The same thoughts from HEBREWS 6:4-8 are expressed in HEBREWS 10:26-32? Once again the CONTEXT here are those who have received a KNOWLEDGE of the truth and fall back into a life of SIN crucifying the son of God afresh v29. There actions of sin count the blood of the covenant an unholy thing.

The scriptures CONTEXT here are very clear in HEBREWS 6:4 stating that those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost (Born Again believers) who fall away were once converted Chrsitians with God's Spirit that left the faith to no longer follow the Word of God.
The Bible as a whole teaches that you cannot lose your salvation. There are many verses in the Bible that teach Eternal Security for born again believers and the verses of scripture that seem to be teaching against Eternal Security really aren't.
As shown above God's WORD shows that you can indeed lose your salvation by departing from God's WORD and going back to a life of sin *HEBREWS 6:4-8; HEBREWS 10:26-32; 1 JOHN 2:3-4 because those doing so reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.
Now, I'm not 100% educated on scripture. I've only been a Christian for 6 years now. But, I know that I am not wrong because of verses that cannot be explained away like John 6:37-40 which teaches that Jesus won't lose ONE single born again believer and John 10:27-29... just really multiple parts of the Bible that cannot be explained away. Feel free to try to explain just how a person can lose their salvation. Just exactly how the new birth can be undone and just how Jesus lied in multiple parts of scripture including the one where he said that the Holy Spirit will live inside of a believer for forever? In order for someone to lose their salvation they would have to lose the Holy Spirit. Please show me one verse in which it says that the Holy Spirit will leave a believer. No, it says the opposite (John 14:16).
Let's have a look at the scriptures you supply as proof that one cannot lose their salvation and test it against the scriptures already provided so far. You have provided the following scriptures in support of the believer not being able to lose their salvation;

JOHN 6:37-40 [37], All that the Father gives me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out. [38], For I came down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. [39], And this is the Father's will which has sent me, that of all which he has given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. [40], And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which sees the Son, and believes on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

v37. All that the farther gives me shall come to me. and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out. JESUS is the living WORD of GOD *JOHN 1:1-4; 14. All that come to the WORD of GOD, Jesus will in no wise cast out. Are we talking here about BELIEVERS or UNBELIEVERS in the WORD of GOD? Obviously we are talking about BELIEVERS as the scriptures tell us that it is ONLY those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD that are God's chosen *MARK 16:16; JOHN 3:16; JOHN 3:18; JOHN 3:36; JOHN 5:24; JOHN 6:35; JOHN 6:47; JOHN 7:38; JOHN 11:25; JOHN 12:44; JOHN 14:12.

So why these scriptures and what is the point here? Well brother the scripture you quote do not say that a Born again believer cannot depart from the faith and become an UNBELIEVER. God's WORD in HEBREWS 6:4-8 and HEBREWS 10:26-32 says that a Born again believer can depart from the faith and become an UNBELIEVER. JOHN 6:37-40 is in reference to BELIEVERS that have not departed from the faith and endure to the end *MATTHEW 24:13; MARK 13:13; HEBREWS 3:13-14; HEBREWS 3:6; COLOSSIANS 1:12-14; 23; ROMANS 6:22; REVELATION 2:26; 2 THESSALONIANS 2:1-3; HEBREWS 10:26-27; HEBREWS 6:4-8. Those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD to the END are the ones that will be saved come judgment day.

John 10:27-29 [27], My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
[28], And I give to them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. [29], My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Once again the scripture here refer to God's people who BELIEVE and FOLLOW v27 God's WORD. The scriptures are not referring to those who do not BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD or those who have BELIEVED but have fallen away and not endured to the END. Once again God's WORD in HEBREWS 6:4-8 and HEBREWS 10:26-32 says that a Born again believer can depart from the faith and become an UNBELIEVER. John 10:27-29 is in reference to BELIEVERS that have not departed from the faith and FOLLOW God to the end *MATTHEW 24:13; MARK 13:13; HEBREWS 3:13-14; HEBREWS 3:6; COLOSSIANS 1:12-14; 23; ROMANS 6:22; REVELATION 2:26; 2 THESSALONIANS 2:1-3; HEBREWS 10:26-27; HEBREWS 6:4-8. Those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD to the END are the ones that will be saved come judgment day.

JOHN 14:16, And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.

Let's add a bit of CONTEXT back in here before continuing...

JOHN 14:12-16
[12], Truly, truly, I say to you, He that believes on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go to my Father.
[13], And whatever you shall ask in my name [He that BELIEVES on me], that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
[14], If you [He that BELIEVES on me] shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
[15], If you [He that BELIEVES on me] love me, keep my commandments.
[16], And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you [He that BELIEVES on me] another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.

Now who is it that has the Holy Spirit forever? He that BELIEVES on me. So while we BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD we can have God's SPIRIT do UNBELIEVERS have God's Spirit? Obviously not because the promises are for BELIEVERS not UNBELIEVERS.

Once again the scripture here refer to God's people who BELIEVE and FOLLOW v27 God's WORD. The scriptures are not referring to those who do not BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD or those who have BELIEVED but have fallen away and not endured to the END. Once again God's WORD in HEBREWS 6:4-8 and HEBREWS 10:26-32 says that a Born again believer can depart from the faith and become an UNBELIEVER. JOHN 14:12-16 is in reference to BELIEVERS that have not departed from the faith and FOLLOW God to the end *MATTHEW 24:13; MARK 13:13; HEBREWS 3:13-14; HEBREWS 3:6; COLOSSIANS 1:12-14; 23; ROMANS 6:22; REVELATION 2:26; 2 THESSALONIANS 2:1-3; HEBREWS 10:26-27; HEBREWS 6:4-8. Those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD to the END are the ones that will be saved come judgment day.

The difference on what we are talking about here brother and what makes everything come together is in defining a BELIEVER from an UNBELIVER. A BELIEVER is somone who BELIEVES and FOLLOWS God's WORD to the END and God's promises are ONLY for those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God. Those who become BELIEVERS but then who become UNBELIEVERS no longer partake of the promises of God's WORD. It is in light of this understanding that shows the truth of God's WORD and who God's promises are for.

None of the scriptures you have provided say that those who do not endure to the END and fall away from God's WORD to become UNBELIEVERS will not lose their salvation. They say the opposite.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
We have had this debate many times on CF. The bottom line is that we cannot know for certain. Scripture has verses supporting both positions. Hence, only God knows the answer. Therefore, it would seem prudent to err on the side of caution and assume that there is a chance that we can lose our salvation. So, where does this leave us? It leaves us with the realization that we had all better examine ourselves and try to live every day as if it were our last, for as a dear Christian friend of mine likes to say, "none of us are guaranteed tomorrow".

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We have had this debate many times on CF. The bottom line is that we cannot know for certain. Scripture has verses supporting both positions. Hence, only God knows the answer. Therefore, it would seem prudent to err on the side of caution and assume that there is a chance that we can lose our salvation. So, where does this leave us? It leaves us with the realization that we had all better examine ourselves and try to live every day as if it were our last, for as a dear Christian friend of mine likes to say, "none of us are guaranteed tomorrow".
And as if Jesus could be coming back at any time, now, don't wait... Do it now, work on it now, with fear and trembling if you must...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think the scripture points to that we can. I believe we, as the elect have to choose to be faithful, faith by itself is not good enough as James 2 says" "Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself." I think we have to separate "works" in Romans from "works" in James. I believe Romans talks about works of the Mosaic Law, and James about works as being faithful to Christ.

Matthew 18:12-14
“What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? “If it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. “So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.

Romans 2:6-11
... who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS: to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God.

Matthew 25:34, 40-41, 45-46
Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’
Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ “These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Faith and faithfullness I believe must be together. Faith doesn't give automatic faithfulness, but faithfulness never comes without faith. Therefore we elect must strive to be faithful, run to win the race and not be disqualified as Paul puts it.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.

Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

With that said I don't think anyone can be perfectly faithful, so it's always the mercy of Christ, his forgiveness that saves a person, but if we don't have works we show by the life we choose to live, that our faith is disqualified.

Hello brother zoidar, thanks for sharing for your thoughts and the scriptures you posted. I like the running the race analogy. Someone also brought this up earlier. We need to run the race to win the prize and pass the finish line. The same as the scriptures teach he that ENDURES to the end BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD will be saved. This is who God's promises are for. Those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD to the end are God's people. Those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God and fall away were Gods people but are now UNBELIEVERS. Thanks for sharing.

God bless

• Friendly
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There is just one thing though... God desires us now, under the NC, that was the covenant that existed in Genesis way before Moses gave us the OT law covenant in the way of a list of commands, anyway, God now desires the kind of covenant that was then, in Genesis, and He now desires to be like those people then, as if without law, but being a law unto themselves, and being or becoming faithful and obedient from the heart, and by the Spirit, and from within, and the type of obedience that this makes for, or the fruit it produces, (including obedience) is far superior to the OT Law Covenant, by which way (the latter) no one and nothing will ever be made perfect, or cross or meet the true goal or finish line, by it or by that way (the letter of the law or the OT Law covenant given by Moses)...

The NC actually preceeded the OT law covenant... And the keys to it are in Genesis... The covenant I suspect God wants us to all go back to now...

God desires us to become obedient to him from the heart and by the Spirit, and that is the kind of perfection He is looking for, and it NEVER comes by the works of the law, or the letter of the law, or the OT Law Covenant, never, ever, not what it is or was made for, or designed to do, and was not it's true purpose, and never will be...

Truth is, is, once a believer becomes born again, that is where the OT law covenant ends, or is supposed to end, and a "new thing" begins...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My reply was just to point out that in your assumption of someone "storing up wrath" from God being an example of losing salvation Paul was speaking about the unGodly, the unsaved. Not a good example verse to use for what you intended.

I just brought it up to illustrate what I had said earlier about how important it is to accurately interpret a verse if one is going to use that verse to make a point about doctrine.

I know, but that had nothing to do with my question.

That's twice now, on two different questions, and no one says you have to answer, but I'm not going to ask twice on either. A one sided conversation where you get input to your comments but I don't doesn't serve much of a purpose in a debate. That, as well as the fact your actions tell me most of what I need to know, any more of this is probably a waste of time.

In short, I'm not answering if you don't....it's not a fair exchange.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just like any other relationship, we can always turn away from our relationship with God, and thereby forfeit any benefits of that relationship, including salvation.

Good point brother PaulCyp1, what are your thoughts on the other questions in the OP? Thanks for sharing your thoughts brother.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This question has been beaten to death, just about everywhere. Sort of like the grace versus works debate.....scripture can be produced for both sides. Everyone can sort of prove their point by a mountain of scripture quotes. I do think that once a heart is open to the salvation of Christ Jesus, it is possible to still renounce Christ, to breaking off the relationship.....yet repentance is always available. So to be lost, perhaps, takes determination against grace. I do believe we are called to also live by total trust in God's love, for He so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son.

Upvote 0

_Dave_

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know, but that had nothing to do with my question.

That's twice now, on two different questions, and no one says you have to answer, but I'm not going to ask twice on either. A one sided conversation where you get input to your comments but I don't doesn't serve much of a purpose in a debate. That, as well as the fact your actions tell me most of what I need to know, any more of this is probably a waste of time.

In short, I'm not answering if you don't....it's not a fair exchange.
Kenny, I'm sorry. I honestly thought I was answering your questions.

There's a lot in this thread, so if you wouldn't mind, can you ask me specifically what you'd like to know?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This question has been beaten to death, just about everywhere. Sort of like the grace versus works debate.....scripture can be produced for both sides. Everyone can sort of prove their point by a mountain of scripture quotes. I do think that once a heart is open to the salvation of Christ Jesus, it is possible to still renounce Christ, to breaking off the relationship.....yet repentance is always available. So to be lost, perhaps, takes determination against grace. I do believe we are called to also live by total trust in God's love, for He so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son.

Hi brother Mark, great to meet you here :).

Maybe, I guess they must be pretty important questions if God keeps leading people to bring them up? Especially when we read in the scriptures that when JESUS returns there will be many that thought they were following God and found out too late that they did not *MATTHEW 7:22-23.

I think you brought up a great point in your post brother. The devil quoted scripture to JESUS in the temptations in the wilderness to try and lead him away from God. How did JESUS respond? How do you think we can know who has God's truth? This is a good sub discussion. What are your thoughts? Thanks for sharing with us brother.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I heard someone say that if you lose your salvation, did you ever have it in the first place?

Maybe, or maybe not *1 JOHN 2:1-4; 1 JOHN 3:3-10; HEBREWS 10:26-27; HEBREWS 6:4-8. What do you think the scriptures shared here mean?

Last edited:
Upvote 0