Can anyone point out what's wrong with this picture?

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Do you personally find Amish women to be frumpy?
They have a Modest, Feminine glow about them which I do not see in (90%) of other women.

They aren't Patriarchal Beauty Standards, women have brought all of it on themselves, the general public, Society do not adhere to Christian leanings for modesty at all, there all trying to look and act like Kim, Brittney, Ga Ga, and the like., the more clothes they can take off legally, and the more makeup they can put on the better, to say nothing of all the Piercings, and Tattoos, there beginning to look like they came out of Star Wars or something.

b21ab05b5b08f00a4b7bfdb25851a746.jpg

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,481.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't necessarily find Amish women to be frumpy. But I was suggesting that the subliminal message of the picture might have been to appeal to some women's ideas about how a modern young Christian woman might prefer to dress/present themselves, (but that those preferences have been shaped by our patriarchal and consumerist culture, and are, in their own way, no less repressive than other rigidly defined dress codes).

To discuss how patriarchy has shaped beauty standards is worthy of being a topic in its own right, but there is some good introductory reading here: Survival of the Prettiest

("Beauty is a convenient fiction used by multibillion-dollar industries that create images of beauty and peddle them as opium for the female masses. Beauty ushers women to a place where men want them, out of the power structure. Capitalism and the patriarchy define beauty for cultural consumption, and plaster images of beauty everywhere to stir up envy and desire. The covetousness they inspire serves their twin goals of making money and preserving the status quo.")

The point I was making is that there is room between the approved roles defined by others, in which Christian women might find authentic and appropriate self-expression.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
*please note this thread is in the Egalitarian forum*

Found this one in a discussion on another site. They redacted the names and location, but I'm thinking there may not be just one thing wrong with this one. :)

vbcuk4hvnei31.jpg

Is this really for real???? It feels like it should be a parody.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Is this really for real???? It feels like it should be a parody.

It does, doesn't it, but sadly, I do believe it was (or is to be) an actual event!

• Informative
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums