Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/19/lebanon.evacuation/index.html

1200 Americans out of 25,000 in Lebanon have been evacuated as of yet. That's less than 5%.

Jay Leno said it best: "People are complaining that American citizens haven't been evacuated from Lebanon. Lebanon? We couldn't even evacuate people from New Orleans!"

How much longer will Americans have to wait for Bush and his cronies to figure this governing thing out?

WV25115

Nov 12, 2005
✟383.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Quantos said:
Is the US Goverment required to protect & move all people all around the world now when ever any of them are in danger ?
I don't think so.

From that May 2, 2006 Travel Advisory for Lebanon:

The State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs issued the following updated Travel Warning on May 2, 2006:

This Travel Warning updates information on threats to American citizens and interests in Lebanon. It supersedes the Travel Warning for Lebanon issued November 7, 2005. ...

The Department of State urges U.S. citizens to carefully weigh the necessity of their travel to Lebanon in light of the risks noted below. ...

Recent events in Lebanon underscore the need for caution and sound personal security precautions. Former Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri was assassinated on February 14, 2005 in a car bomb attack in which at least 22 other people were killed and many others seriously wounded; the potential for violence remains. Since March 2005, there have been 13 separate bombings in Lebanon, resulting in the deaths of at least 11 people and injuries to more than 100 others. ...

Historically, Americans have been the targets of numerous terrorist attacks in Lebanon. The perpetrators of many of these attacks are still present and retain the ability to act. American citizens should thus keep a low profile, varying times and routes for all required travel. ...

In January 2006, Lebanese authorities arrested suspected members of an al-Qaeda group in Beirut. The presence of al-Qaeda in Lebanon raises the potential threat to U.S. citizens and interests.

In February 2006, demonstrations against newspaper cartoons that satirized the Prophet resulted in damage to the building housing the Danish consulate, as well as surrounding homes, commercial enterprises, a church, and vehicles. ...

The U.S. Government considers the potential threat to U.S. Government personnel assigned to Beirut sufficiently serious to require them to live and work under a strict security regime. This limits, and may occasionally prevent, the movement of U.S. Embassy officials in certain areas of the country. These factors, plus limited staffing, may hinder timely assistance to Americans in Lebanon. Unofficial travel to Lebanon by U.S. Government employees and their family members requires prior approval by the Department of State.

U.S. citizens who travel to Lebanon despite this Travel Warning should exercise heightened caution when traveling in parts of the southern suburbs of Beirut, portions of the Bekaa Valley and South Lebanon, and the cities of Sidon and Tripoli. Hizballah has not been disarmed, it maintains a strong presence in many of these areas, and there is the potential for action by other extremist groups in Tripoli.

Americans who went there assumed the risk since there was a travel advisory in effect. While the U.S. should do what it can to get its citizens to safety, I wish that people would begin to exercise some personal responsibility and not run around complaining about the U.S. failing in its duty.

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Ginny said:
I think he should take his own plane over there and start helping out. And they should announce it beforehand....internationally.

The Prime Minister of Canada did that; I don't like the guy but I'll give him credit on that.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Illuminatus said:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/19/lebanon.evacuation/index.html

1200 Americans out of 25,000 in Lebanon have been evacuated as of yet. That's less than 5%.

Jay Leno said it best: "People are complaining that American citizens haven't been evacuated from Lebanon. Lebanon? We couldn't even evacuate people from New Orleans!"

How much longer will Americans have to wait for Bush and his cronies to figure this governing thing out?

The job of evacuation was with the New Orleans and the state, not the Bush administration. They knew for centuries that a hurricane could hit and it was their responsibility to handle it.

It is not the job of the Federal government to evacuate citizens within a week, from other nations that go into war.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
WV25115 said:
Americans who went there assumed the risk since there was a travel advisory in effect. While the U.S. should do what it can to get its citizens to safety, I wish that people would begin to exercise some personal responsibility and not run around complaining about the U.S. failing in its duty.
It's not the "strong presence"of "Hizballah" contained in that "travel advisory" that is causing the threat here. It is unanticipated full scale war by Israel against Lebanon without regard to whom they are attacking. (Or perhaps the U.S. government did indeed anticipate Israel attacking and wished to wash its hands of having to rescue its citizens)

Ridiculous to blame these people for visiting Lebanon for whatever reason when the U.S. government is supposed to protect them and put their interests ahead of all foreign governments.

Upvote 0

WV25115

Nov 12, 2005
✟383.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whatever the case, I would not expect the U.S. government to ensure my safety when I travel to any foreign country. I would hope the U.S. would do what it could, but would not expect anything when I'm out of the U.S. Heck, I don't even expect my safetey to be ensured when I'm here in the U.S.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WV25115

Nov 12, 2005
✟383.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://communitydispatch.com/artman/publish/article_4778.shtml

Lebanon Travel Warning
May 02, 2006

This Travel Warning updates information on threats to American citizens and interests in Lebanon. It supersedes the Travel Warning for Lebanon issued November 7, 2005.

The Department of State urges U.S. citizens to carefully weigh the necessity of their travel to Lebanon in light of the risks noted below. U.S. citizens in Lebanon are encouraged to register with the U.S. Embassy in Beirut where they may also obtain updated information on travel and security in Lebanon. See registration details below.

Recent events in Lebanon underscore the need for caution and sound personal security precautions. Former Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri was assassinated on February 14, 2005 in a car bomb attack in which at least 22 other people were killed and many others seriously wounded; the potential for violence remains. Since March 2005, there have been 13 separate bombings in Lebanon, resulting in the deaths of at least 11 people and injuries to more than 100 others.

Historically, Americans have been the targets of numerous terrorist attacks in Lebanon. The perpetrators of many of these attacks are still present and retain the ability to act. American citizens should thus keep a low profile, varying times and routes for all required travel. Americans should also pay close attention to their personal security at locations where Westerners are generally known to congregate, and should avoid demonstrations and large gatherings.

In January 2006, Lebanese authorities arrested suspected members of an al-Qaeda group in Beirut. The presence of al-Qaeda in Lebanon raises the potential threat to U.S. citizens and interests.

In February 2006, demonstrations against newspaper cartoons that satirized the Prophet resulted in damage to the building housing the Danish consulate, as well as surrounding homes, commercial enterprises, a church, and vehicles.

The U.S. Government considers the potential threat to U.S. Government personnel assigned to Beirut sufficiently serious to require them to live and work under a strict security regime. This limits, and may occasionally prevent, the movement of U.S. Embassy officials in certain areas of the country. These factors, plus limited staffing, may hinder timely assistance to Americans in Lebanon. Unofficial travel to Lebanon by U.S. Government employees and their family members requires prior approval by the Department of State.

U.S. citizens who travel to Lebanon despite this Travel Warning should exercise heightened caution when traveling in parts of the southern suburbs of Beirut, portions of the Bekaa Valley and South Lebanon, and the cities of Sidon and Tripoli. Hizballah has not been disarmed, it maintains a strong presence in many of these areas, and there is the potential for action by other extremist groups in Tripoli.

American air carriers are prohibited from using Beirut International Airport (BIA) due to continuing concern about airport and aircraft security arrangements. For similar reasons, the Lebanese carrier Middle East Airlines (MEA) is not permitted to operate service into the United States. Official U.S. government travelers exercise additional security measures when using Beirut International Airport.

Palestinian groups hostile to both the Lebanese government and the U.S. operate largely autonomously inside refugee camps in different areas of the country. Intra-communal violence within the camps has resulted in violent incidents such as shootings and explosions. Occasionally this violence spills over into neighboring cities and towns. Travel by U.S. citizens to Palestinian camps should be avoided. Asbat al-Ansar, a terrorist group with apparent links to al-Qaeda, has targeted Lebanese, U.S. and other foreign government interests. It has been outlawed by the Lebanese government but continues to maintain a presence in the Ain al-Hilweh refugee camp.

Dangers posed by landmines and unexploded ordnance throughout south Lebanon are significant and also exist in other areas where civil war fighting was intense. Travelers should be aware of posted landmine warnings and strictly avoid all areas where landmines and unexploded ordnance may be present. Tensions remain in Lebanon's southern border with the possibility of Hizballah and Palestinian militant activity at any time.

The Embassy is located in Awkar, near Antelias, Beirut, Lebanon. Public access hours for American citizens are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. However, American citizens who require emergency services outside of these hours may contact the Embassy by telephone at any time. The telephone numbers are (961-4) 542-600, 543-600, and fax 544-209. American citizens may register with the Embassy online by visiting<https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs>. Information on consular services and registration can also be found at <http://lebanon.usembassy.gov/> or by phone at the above telephone numbers between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday local time.

Updated information on travel and security in Lebanon may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States or, from overseas, 1-202-501-4444. Additional details can be found in the Department of State's Consular Information Sheet for Lebanon, the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, the Middle East and North Africa Public Announcement and the Travel Publication A Safe Trip Abroad, all of which are available on the Department's Internet site at <http://travel.state.gov/>.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

jamesrwright3

It's not the "strong presence"of "Hizballah" contained in that "travel advisory" that is causing the threat here. It is unanticipated full scale war by Israel against Lebanon without regard to whom they are attacking.

They are attacking Hizbollah, which Hizbollah fully deserves

Ridiculous to blame these people for visiting Lebanon for whatever reason when the U.S. government is supposed to protect them and put their interests ahead of all foreign governments.

Ridiculous not to blame them. If you are going into a power keg and it blows up, then its your own fault for going there to begin with.

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
WV25115 said:
Whatever the case, I would not expect the U.S. government to ensure my safety when I travel to any foreign country. I would hope the U.S. would do what it could, but would not expect anything when I'm out of the U.S.

This is my belief on the subject.

However, while I'm in the US, I would expect help; whether I actually would get it is a different story.

Upvote 0