Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It boils down to why was war voted for or not ?

The war in Iraq, which those who supported Hillary claimed she didn't vote for the war, as the resolution she voted for didn't have the word "war," in it. However, this is tap dancing around the issue that she and the majority in Congress did in fact vote for the resolution knowing that it gave Bush the green light to invade Iraq. He was massing troops at the border in Kuwait before the vote was taken. Everyone knew he was preparing for war and it was called, the Iraq War. People like Hillary and Biden, voted for the war out of political expediency. When it started going bad and no WMD's were found, they turned against it and claimed they didn't vote for war.

In today's political environment, support for war has to do which way the political winds are blowing.
But I wasn’t talking about Iraq. I specifically addressed the Civil War and WWII.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He sent soldiers, some of whom were killed by the enemy.

Doesn't matter that he sent some soldiers. What their job was makes the difference.

They were there to provide advice and training to the South Vietnamese and to inform the president on what was going on.

They weren't sent as a large combat operation.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But I wasn’t talking about Iraq. I specifically addressed the Civil War and WWII.

This is the first line in your post.........."I’m curious, why does it matter what the party of the president was when the US got involved in a war?"

You asked the question now you want to argue about what I posted. :doh:

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is the first line in your post.........."I’m curious, why does it matter what the party of the president was when the US got involved in a war?"

You asked the question now you want to argue about what I posted. :doh:
I didn’t argue about what you posted, but you posted had nothing to do with the examples I gave and wanted to discuss. Perhaps someone else will want to discuss the topic you raised; I do not.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Doesn't matter that he sent some soldiers. What their job was makes the difference.

They were there to provide advice and training to the South Vietnamese and to inform the president on what was going on.

They weren't sent as a large combat operation.
We are just repeating ourselves. The fact is that the soldiers who Eisenhower sent to Vietnam who were killed have their names on the Vietnam Memorial. That means that experts on the war have determined that they died in the war. I will stick with their determination.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But they "didn't count", because they were "advisors."

I'm glad that the people who built the Vietnam Memorial thought that they counted.

The point is that Eisenhower didn't take us into the Vietnam War.

Hope this helps !

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The Zimmerman note, offering Mexico recovery of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona in return for declaring war on the United States pretty much made war inevitable.

Mexico didn't accept even accept the offer, and in any case it was conditional upon the US entering the war, so if anything it would strengthen the case against US entry into the war. Ironically, a hundred years later, we had a US political establishment that was indignant over a President daring to hinder the demographic annexation of those very lands by Mexico...

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mexico didn't accept even accept the offer, and in any case it was conditional upon the US entering the war, so if anything it would strengthen the case against US entry into the war.

For some reason, Germany, promising to give Mexico a piece of the United States angered Americans, and let them know that Germany had hostile intentions toward us. It pretty much made war inevitable.

Ironically, a hundred years later, we had a US political establishment that was indignant over a President daring to hinder the demographic annexation of those very lands by Mexico...

Ah, alternative reality gaming. But we're talking about the real world, here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums