Peaceful Crusader
Dec 22, 2005
Oslo, Norway
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read that British courts have rejected British Airways' employee Nadia Eweida's complain on religious discrimination by British Airways.

As many of us probably have noticed, Mrs. Eweida, a Christian woman who wore a cross in her necklace, was denied this by the company. But at the same time, Muslims and other groups were allowed to use hijabs etc. Why wasn't a Christian woman allowed to use a small cross while a Muslim woman was allowed to use a huge cloth on her head? :scratch:

There is of course no good answer to that question, because it is religious discrimination. The British judicial system has however rejected this claim. I am astonished of how Britain - a country in which the monarch is the leader of a Christian church - so obviously disciminates against Christians. It is a travesty of justice.

I would have understood if it happened in Saudi Arabia (although it would still be unfair), but that it should happen in Britain is just quite insane.

Where is Britain heading? :doh:

LuciusJulius

Jan 9, 2008
Smudan, Southern Caledonia
Visit site
✟7,833.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is terrible news indeed. It just shows that even in "western nations" we Christians can be persecuted. Isn't Britain a predominantly Christian country? If so, why should having a cross or not matter to British Airways? Wasn't their intention to remain neutral on issues like people wearing religious symbols?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read that British courts have rejected British Airways' employee Nadia Eweida's complain on religious discrimination by British Airways.

As many of us probably have noticed, Mrs. Eweida, a Christian woman who wore a cross in her necklace, was denied this by the company. But at the same time, Muslims and other groups were allowed to use hijabs etc. Why wasn't a Christian woman allowed to use a small cross while a Muslim woman was allowed to use a huge cloth on her head? :scratch:

There is of course no good answer to that question, because it is religious discrimination. The British judicial system has however rejected this claim. I am astonished of how Britain - a country in which the monarch is the leader of a Christian church - so obviously disciminates against Christians. It is a travesty of justice.

I would have understood if it happened in Saudi Arabia (although it would still be unfair), but that it should happen in Britain is just quite insane.

Where is Britain heading? :doh:

Very simple. In Islam certain clothing is required to be worn but in christianity it is not. Therefore it is not actually discrimination because wearing a cross has nothing to do with christianity as a faith. It is a symbol used but you only need to look around and you will see heaps of people wearing crosses and it has nothing to do with any faith.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is terrible news indeed. It just shows that even in "western nations" we Christians can be persecuted. Isn't Britain a predominantly Christian country? If so, why should having a cross or not matter to British Airways? Wasn't their intention to remain neutral on issues like people wearing religious symbols?
The majority may call themselves christian but are they actually christian? In most countries that are called christian it is generally acknowledged that somewhere around 10% of them actually are. Think of the phrase non-practising catholic. They will call themselves a christian for official survey purposes but at the end of the day the only reason they say that is because they were raised in the church.

Upvote 0

Disippelen

Peaceful Crusader
Dec 22, 2005
Oslo, Norway
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very simple. In Islam certain clothing is required to be worn but in christianity it is not. Therefore it is not actually discrimination because wearing a cross has nothing to do with christianity as a faith. It is a symbol used but you only need to look around and you will see heaps of people wearing crosses and it has nothing to do with any faith.

Please... :doh:

I don't need to say more...

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It just shows that even in "western nations" we Christians can be persecuted.

Oh please. When was the last time you knew of someone being thrown in jail or killed for being a Christian in a "western nation"?

I don't agree with British Airways, but let's dispense with this "Western Christians are persecuted" nonsense right now.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Disippelen

Peaceful Crusader
Dec 22, 2005
Oslo, Norway
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh please. When was the last time you knew of someone being thrown in jail or killed for being a Christian in a "western nation"?

I don't agree with British Airways, but let's dispense with this "Western Christians are persecuted" nonsense right now.
Ringo

Some Georgian Christians were recently murdered in Germany by Muslim extremists, and we know that many converts from Islam have been killed in European countries the last years.

Best,
Dis

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Ringo
In the last year alone, many in the u ess aye were arrested and some probably 'disappeared' for their preaching the Truth.

Keith Green was assassinated (and others died at the same time) for printing an expose of false religion in the u ess aye.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the last year alone, many in the u ess aye were arrested and some probably 'disappeared' for their preaching the Truth.

Keith Green was assassinated (and others died at the same time) for printing an expose of false religion in the u ess aye.
OK. Prove it. Because I have a very hard time believing that there's anything approaching persecution against Christians in the US. Americans Christians wouldn't know persecution if it slapped them in the face - that's the truth.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That's strangely correct, the american (untied states)
DONT know persecution / deception
while it is not just slapping them in the face, but ruining theirs and their childrens chance to know the truth, period.

for better or for worse, you have to go to other forums / sites to find out. you already know too many posts on this forum just get deleted and warnings given if too much truth is disclosed.

btw, prove it yourself
;
you probably know how to ggoooooggle, don't you ?

if I just post the proof here, it gets deleted, every time so far.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's strangely correct, the american (untied states)
DONT know persecution / deception
while it is not just slapping them in the face, but ruining theirs and their childrens chance to know the truth, period.

for better or for worse, you have to go to other forums / sites to find out. you already know too many posts on this forum just get deleted and warnings given if too much truth is disclosed.

btw, prove it yourself
;

That's a cop-out. There's no reason why you can't provide proof of the persecution of which you speak. That's unless you have no proof.
Ringo

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You obviously don't realise it isn't always just a matter of typing something in google and being guarenteed of the answer. For example my wife and I were told the house we currently live in had been raided by the drug squad before we were here. My wife and I both used google to find out information about that to see if it was true. My wife managed to find out all kinds of useful information including the occupation of the next door neighbour even. My results did not provide any useful information at all. What I typed in was the address of the house. I don't know what my wife typed in to get here info but it does prove that you also need to know what to type into google.

How about sending a private message to ringo (and me as I'm interested too). Private messages are only looked at if the contents are reported and even then it is only for sending of vulgar material and other major rule violations not minor ones. So there is a perfectly good way to provide info without it being deleted. Will you provide it now?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.google.com/search?num=30...hs=NjI&q=keith+green+assassinated&btnG=Search

simple result of ggle: keith green assassinated

the very first top site is fine for starters.
When I went to google and typed in keith green assassinated the above link did not come up on the first page so I hope that just reinforces for you that simply telling someone to look stuff up for themselves is not very useful.

just remember the u ess aya gov, busness, and relgous leaders do not want you to know nor diseminate this info. - it will cause them a great deal of embarassment and money if more than a handful of truth seekers were ever to find out.
I have not been able to find any credible source to confirm the story in the article. It certainly would not be the first time a false claim like this has been made by people who have later been found out to be fraudsters. So I can't consider the article to be proof of anything untill there is some credible evidence that it is true. I use this approach in all matters so I am not just dismissing this because it doesn't seem likely. If I come across any evidence to back this story up I will be more than happy to change my view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Ringo
Exactly. Read the lives of the Christian Martyrs, including the thousands and thousands of Orthodox Martyrs in Eastern Europe under Communism. Many, many were killed outright while many others spent years in the gulags and death camps. That is persecution, not being allowed to wear a cross. Personally, I think she should be allowed to wear a cross, but I don't believe it is not persecution. Maybe they wouldn't have a problem if she wore a long enough chain that her clothing would hide it.

Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It might be worth pointing out that Nadia Eweida is a Copt - and they have plenty of experience of real persecution, living as they do in a Muslim country where they are second-class citizens and where to wear a crucifix is to risk assault. Perhaps, sensitised by that experience, she decided to take a stand in this country?

In peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Disippelen

Peaceful Crusader
Dec 22, 2005
Oslo, Norway
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that is interesting information Anglian. The Copts are violently persecuted, and have been so for 1400 years almost, since the Islamic Army took their homeland... It continues even to this very day with thousands killed, raped or imprisoned just for being Christians in modern Egypt... :(

Dis

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that is interesting information Anglian. The Copts are violently persecuted, and have been so for 1400 years almost, since the Islamic Army took their homeland... It continues even to this very day with thousands killed, raped or imprisoned just for being Christians in modern Egypt...
Yep persecution is so blatent that Christians have been ablre to hold massive evangelism rallies in stadiums in Egypt and even have muslims give their full support to it. Sounds like nothing but persecution for christians in egypt! I'm not for a second saying it doesn't happen in Egypt. Yes christians are persecuted however it depends on exactly where you are. In some areas you can will have bars and can drink all the alcohol you like while in other areas you can't. We need to open our eyes and stop being so biased by insisting persecution is bad when it happens to us but ok if it happens to other people. We also need to stop being biased by trying to present a situation to be something it isn't. For example giving the impression that there is nothing but persecution for christians in some countries where they can actually have tremendous freedom in some areas.

Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep persecution is so blatent that Christians have been ablre to hold massive evangelism rallies in stadiums in Egypt and even have muslims give their full support to it. Sounds like nothing but persecution for christians in egypt! I'm not for a second saying it doesn't happen in Egypt. Yes christians are persecuted however it depends on exactly where you are. In some areas you can will have bars and can drink all the alcohol you like while in other areas you can't. We need to open our eyes and stop being so biased by insisting persecution is bad when it happens to us but ok if it happens to other people. We also need to stop being biased by trying to present a situation to be something it isn't. For example giving the impression that there is nothing but persecution for christians in some countries where they can actually have tremendous freedom in some areas.

Dear Dag,

I suspect the rallies you are talking about are for Western denominations. The Egyptian government gives some Western denominations a chance to proseletyze in order to weaken the historic Coptic Church.

The Coptic Church is not allowed even to repair its Churches, and cannot build new ones; its people are subject to daily persecution, and there are many examples of Coptic girls being abducted and forcibly 'converted' to Islam.
See here for more:
http://www.britishorthodox.org/115d.php

Are you aware of the plight and condition of the Copts, who were once the majority religion in Egypt? The Arab conquerors even changed the language in order to try to destroy Christianity in Egypt. They failed, but for centuries the Copts have lived as second-class citizens in their own country.

In peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.