Bringing up the subject of God..

Born_to_try

Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
✟16,977.00
Ok, I'm a little bit stuck here.. I have a friend -she's actually one of my best friends, but I don't think we've talked about God since we were about 12! (even then we didn't bring up the subject much)
Unlike me she wasn't brought up in a Christian home, but when we were young she used to come to church with me every Sunday, and to the church youth groups. I remember her making a decision for Christ years ago, but since then both her and I fell away from God.
I still (reluctantly) went along to church with my parents but she stopped going. I lost contact with her for a while, and since then God has brought me back and I've recommited my life to Christ (woo!)
Now we're hanging out again, and I'm finding it hard to talk to her about God. She knows I'm into Christian bands, she's seen me in Christian t-shirts, I think she gets the jist that something's changed. But still I want to know where she stands, and I want her to know what it's all about, that God is relevant to her.
I think I'm quite apprehensive as she knows I know she does things that I've stopped doing. We just never have those serious kind of chats. I've no idea what her beliefs are right now, but I really want to share what I have. She's one of my closest friends, I've known her my whole life, and the fact that I'm not talking about Jesus with her feels like I have this massive part of my life that I'm not sharing with her.
I was planning on casually flipping on this 'Livin' It' DVD tomorrow (skate/BMX DVD with skater testimonies on it) -but I get the feeling she'd be too embarrassed to want to discuss what we'd seen on there.. so what can I say to address the relevance of Jesus in her life? I'd like to ask her what she believes. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks. God bless.

Born_to_try

Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
✟16,977.00
Ah yes.. I meant to say that I have invited her to church but she works on Sundays. :(

Thanks for advice so far. Yeah.. I guess I could say "Hey remember when we used to go to Sunday school together?" and take it from there or something.
I think I know why she stopped though.. when we both lost interest I just stopped inviting her :( -or when I did it was obvious I was only inviting her because I wanted company!

Upvote 0

teffie

Sep 25, 2005
SYDNAY!!
✟16,813.00
Faith
Christian
i firstly want to say that it is awesome that you want to share god with your friend, and truly care about her, so that you dont want to make her uncomfortable by bringing up the subject of god. i want to say this to you: dont be. just bring it up, look, all you have to do, is show up, and god will do the rest...you get what im saying?? what i mean is, just be a good friend, dont rush things, and give it time, maybe one day if shes feeling really down you could offer to pray for her. if that seems abit extreme for you, maybe offer an invite to youth group, or maybe church. i think that if shes fallen away from god, i think that youth group is a better place to start, because there as so many more people there that are undecided, or new to god and being christians, so there she wouldnt feel AS akward. it just depends. why dont you just get straight out with it: ask her if she beleives in god. dont say your oppion just yet, see how she reacts and replies. if she says yes, ask her where shes at with it. if she says no, ask her what happened and why she turned away from god. dont give up. i know that if shes turned away from god, and is stubborn about it, its going to be hard. i wont lie to you, i have so many friends like that and some days i jusyt want to shoot them. other days i feel like running away cause they just wont listen. just ease into the topic, and dont push too hard, until god gives you a sign. beleive me, if your meant to change this girls life, god will let you know. if he doesnt give you a signal straight away, that doesnt mean its not going to happen. it may require time. GOOD LUCK!!

sparx

Upvote 0

bethdinsmore

Veteran
Jun 21, 2005
Hawaii
Visit site
✟17,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Here's how I witness to others: I ask God to start up the conversation whenever He wishes, and then I just enter in, when and if it happens. That way, the other person knows I'm just being real. And I know it too.

This may sound like I'm just being "gracey", but He has started up so many effective conversations this way, and I'm following this guideline:

1 Pet 3:15
15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
(NIV)

In addition, I just seek to be real. If the other person doesn't like it that my conversations occasionaly include God, they can avoid me. And I can still pray for them. I just rely on God to lead them to the Lord - and I don't push them.

When the Lord puts me into a witnessing situation, I ask them if I may share with them what the Bible says about going to Heaven. If they give me their permission, I go ahead. Later, some of them have interrupted and said they don't want to hear, but I gently remind them that I got their permission, and they allow me to continue.

Now, these are the things that the Lord has developed in my life, and that doesn't mean every person has to witness in the same way. (In fact, my comments may drive some readers of this thread up the wall.) ;)

Your friend is fortunate to have you in her life. I pray that someday you will both have a friendship that is centered around Christ. Thank you for caring so much for her.

God bless you - aloha in Jesus

Upvote 0