Washington
✟15,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Keep reading everyday. Every time I read the bible I pick up something new. There are definitely portions that can be bland, such as the genealogies in 1 Chronicles and the measurements of the arc of the covenant and such at the end of Exodus.

All that being said, I've found that when looking into the deeper meaning of certain parts of the bible (such as the book of Romans) will really make your experience reading the old testament more pleasing because certain things that once had little to no significance suddenly is of immense importance.

The New Testament is much shorter then the old but once you begin to truly study it you realize that it has a wealth of information packed into almost every paragraph. I'm on my 7th time reading the bible and I can honestly say that i d enjoy it, though there are times where I am bored with certain areas.

Keep reading and praying and you will begin to unlock the deeper meaning of certain passages.I also, suggest watching sermons online, one particular pastor I feel is very thorough is Mike Winger. He has a series where he breaks down the book of Romans in depth and it is really amazing.

Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I understand how important it is to read scripture everyday but I am beginning to fear that I am growing tired of reading it. It feels kind of boring and repetitive and I really hate to feel that way about it.

Any advice?

:)
It's appetite fatigue. When you have only one kind of food to eat all the time you lose the desire to eat. The same with the Bible. The same food can become more palatable when you spice it up with different ingredients. Instead of reading the Bible quietly try reading it out loud to another person. The other person will interject with points of views you may not have. Try studying the Bible thematically. For example the expression "The Just Shall Live by Faith" first begins in Habakkuk. Study the background of Habakkuk and find out its time frame, geo-political environment and personality of the author, then follow that reading up with these three New Testament books that use that phrase: Romans (our justification), Galatians (living by the Spirit) and Hebrews (walking by faith).

This is just an example. I would point out, however, just a simple reading even without spicing it up is still beneficial as it keeps the instructions of the Bible fresh in your mind.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I understand how important it is to read scripture everyday but I am beginning to fear that I am growing tired of reading it. It feels kind of boring and repetitive and I really hate to feel that way about it.

Any advice?

Try reading from one of the many Puritans (Thomas Brooks for instance) and if you take the time to comprehend what is written the boredom should be cured and the mind refreshed.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

Any advice?

I suffered from the same feeling, until one day I read a book called, 'Christ in his Mysteries', by the Abbot Marmion, in which he explained what is seldom, if ever stressed to us, namely, Jesus' real humanity. He sat down at the well with the Samaritan woman, because he was tired. Previously, however subliminally, I had always thought of Jesus as purely divine, so he would be able to do this or that or suffer this or that, etc, 'in his sleep', so to speak. But his suffering humanity ironically adds a more sublimely-divine dimension to his trials and crucifixion.

And at least as importantly, he said that when we read the scriptures, it is God, Himself, who is talking to us directly and personally. From that time on, the scriptures have become so alive for me that I struggle not to laugh out loud at the sheer humanity, the-all-too recognisable foibles of the characters Jesus interacts with during his ministry.

• Informative
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They wear out pretty quick. The most you can read the Bible is twice before you have to replace it. The computer is a lot faster to look up all the scriptures that use the same Hebrew word if you want to study the context for the meaning of a word. It is more than annoying when the pages start to fall out.

274616_eb9322ef84492ecb5f93bec30cb0c301.jpg
I've never had that happen to me, in 60 years. Maybe you should treat your bible a little more gently.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I ask because it is very important to understand that unless you are born again, you will not possess the Spirit. The Spirit is what you must have in order to discern the scriptures. The Spirit also loves the word which contains the revelation of Jesus the Christ. So when I hear someone say that they find reading the bible boring I wonder two things; 1 – are they born again and 2 – if they are born again, what is it that is quenching the Spirit from flowing in this area?
We can earnestly love Christ and still not be born again. But it is the Spirit in us that loves Him - the way He calls us to love Him and brings us into all truth.

Please understand my intent is to perhaps shed some light in your quandary. You can take all the very well-meaning tips and helps to get you into reading or listening to the Bible, but if the Spirit is not involved it will only last so long. In fact, you are in the law – which essentially is about working through a to do list. You have reading the bible on your to do list – and it’s causing you some difficulty in achieving it. When the Spirit is in you and working, it is not grievous to do what we are called to do – which is to study the scriptures it is enjoyable – it is our food.

In a recent post on my blog I have written To Be or not To Be – Born Again if you care to read it.

With all due respect, I really don’t believe your problem is how you can get reading the bible and enjoying it at all. I believe it to be a symptom of the problem.
If you've been baptized, you're born again.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never had that happen to me, in 60 years. Maybe you should treat your bible a little more gently.
Maybe you should read your Bible. It is impossible to read your Bible cover to cover twice without wearing out the binding. I know lots of people that actually read the Bible everyday. They read the whole Bible in a year and the Bibles they are actually reading wear out from use.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you should read your Bible. It is impossible to read your Bible cover to cover twice without wearing out the binding. I know lots of people that actually read the Bible everyday. They read the whole Bible in a year and the Bibles they are actually reading wear out from use.

Who said that it's impossible to read your bible cover to cover more than twice without it wearing out?

You really should treat any book you own more gently and you'll get more years out of them.

As I said, my first Bible is going on 10 years next year and while I haven't read that particular one cover to cover, I have read through many of the books and chapters as it's a men's devotional and it has gotten plenty of usage in those years.

Also, the assumption that someone isn't reading their bible because it hasn't fallen apart is really disingenuous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trevor Holder

Oct 29, 2017
New York
✟18,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Try imagining yourself in the place of one of the characters of the Bible story you are reading and go through what you would see, think, and feel as that character. This makes you attached the story and perhaps may allow you to take more out of it than by reading it at face value. Also, it allows for the same story to be read multiple times without being repetitive because you can imagine yourself as a different character each time.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is an amazing story! A lot of times I do find it hard to understand the Bible, particularly the KJV.
Find a translation you are more comfortable with and see if that helps you out. I bounce back and forth between the NKJV, NASB, ESV, and NIV. Some better than others, but it is the Lord that discerns what we are reading. Embrace the journey and be encouraged by the fact you are having these questions and concerns. It is all apart of your growth. Unbelievers don't get tired of reading the Bible because they probably aren't reading it. Trust that the Lord will work this out for you. Grace and Peace.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mark Ericson

Mar 17, 2018
Idaho Springs
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Any advice?

Here is a radical method I found for rekindling your interest in the Bible. It´s best to have an electronic Bible on your computer, although not necessary. Then you get a Strong´s Concordance. The Strong´s Exhaustive Concordance is the best. I prefer the physical book version. It´s available for your computer also. Now, meditate (think) about any subject word that might interest you and look up the word in Strong´s. The book will list all of the Bible verses that contain that word. Do a search in your electronic bible for that word and read every verse. For any verse you have read, you can look up the original Hebrew or Greek keyword for alternate definitions or any other word in the same verse for alternate definitions in Strong´s. This will give you a better understanding in most cases of your original english Bible reading. You might discover meanings that very few others are aware of, as I have. You will then be using Isaiah´s method of study: line upon line, line upon line, precept upon precept, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.
Another method of study that I have found motivating and fulfilling is understanding how Bible Pophecies have been fulfilled historically, like in the books of Daniel and Revelation. If you´re interested in this, check out my books Antichrist Religion, Revelation Bible Sleuth and Time Fulfilled 2031 on Amazon.com .

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Any advice?

Yeah, everything in life can be boring. Loving your spouse can be boring. It's not always fun and easy.

And.... you do it anyway. Because if you don't, your marriage could fall apart.

Working out can be boring. You do it anyway, because if you don't you might turn into a fat slob.

Taking a shower can be boring. You do it anyway, because otherwise people start buying you buckets of soap and deodorant.

I find having my hair cut to take an hour, and is really boring. I do it anyway, because I don't want to look like a caveman from an evolution exhibit.

If you want to play the piano really well, you have to practice. Practicing can be boring. You do it anyway, because you want the good result.

Everything in life, can be boring. Your job can be boring. You do it anyway, because being broke is more boring.

Best advice is.... keep doing it. Now you didn't say how long you were reading, or what book. Some people have this wacky idea they need to spend an hour reading, and they are working their way through Leviticus.

You don't need to drive yourself crazy. Pick a more interesting book, and you only need to do it for 15 minutes.

But keep doing something. How long, and what book can change, but keep going.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, everything in life can be boring. Loving your spouse can be boring. It's not always fun and easy.

And.... you do it anyway. Because if you don't, your marriage could fall apart.

Working out can be boring. You do it anyway, because if you don't you might turn into a fat slob.

Taking a shower can be boring. You do it anyway, because otherwise people start buying you buckets of soap and deodorant.

I find having my hair cut to take an hour, and is really boring. I do it anyway, because I don't want to look like a caveman from an evolution exhibit.

If you want to play the piano really well, you have to practice. Practicing can be boring. You do it anyway, because you want the good result.

Everything in life, can be boring. Your job can be boring. You do it anyway, because being broke is more boring.

Best advice is.... keep doing it. Now you didn't say how long you were reading, or what book. Some people have this wacky idea they need to spend an hour reading, and they are working their way through Leviticus.

You don't need to drive yourself crazy. Pick a more interesting book, and you only need to do it for 15 minutes.

But keep doing something. How long, and what book can change, but keep going.
This was pure excellence! Reading this, it really reminded me of Ecclesiastes!

God bless you and thank-you!

Upvote 0

DW_in_AR

Mar 23, 2016
US
✟26,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, I understand how important it is to read scripture everyday....
I think it would be helpful to expand this statement. Why do you believe it's important to read scripture every day? Throughout most of church history, this was not practiced, and in fact was quite impossible. Most Christians were illiterate, and for those who were lettered, Bibles were quite expensive. (You'd have to slaughter a whole herd of calves to get enough vellum, pluck countless birds for quill pens, and pay for the upkeep of a scriptorium full of monks.) While familiarity with scripture is useful for avoiding error and superstition, that does not require daily reading. I can think of a few reasons one would want to read scripture every day:

1. Education. But there are many sources of Christian education. Used theological books can be gotten cheaply, there are confessional works and catechisms representing denominational beliefs, etc. Really understanding the Bible also requires understanding a lot of secular history and the culture of the ancient near east.

2. Devotion. But there are lots of ways to devote your time to God. There are devotional books, there are daily offices (which may or may not incorporate much scripture), or you could try writing something yourself. Or you could dedicate a certain number of hours each week to God and use that time to live out his will in the world.

3. Ritual. Again, there are various forms of daily prayer that have evolved over the centuries. You can incorporate physical gestures, incense, music, etc. to involve your body and senses, creating a fuller experience than you get simply reading something.

Try one of those and see if it appeals to you. Then keep at it until you want to switch again.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Any advice?
What you might pray about is fasting. There is a time appointed when Christ may come to you as a thief in the night. If and when that happens to you, your eyes will be Spiritually opened in a way that you cannot describe. After that happens, you may very well be on your way to knowing The Fear of The Lord. The Born Again Experience is a very scary experience. That is, in my opinion and understanding, the only grain of a mustard seed of faith you contribute to the rest of your growth. You cannot grow yourself at all. Christ is The Author and Finisher of your faith. This is all very Spiritual and you might pray for The Lord to bring someone into your life who has gone through this experience. Your soul is the only possession you have that is of any value in comparison to anything else in your life. It is eternal. You will wake to either
Dan.12
  1. [2] And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
It is obvious which one you choose.

Upvote 0