United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, I understand how important it is to read scripture everyday but I am beginning to fear that I am growing tired of reading it. It feels kind of boring and repetitive and I really hate to feel that way about it.

Any advice?

:)

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi, I understand how important it is to read scripture everyday but I am beginning to fear that I am growing tired of reading it. It feels kind of boring and repetitive and I really hate to feel that way about it.

Any advice?

A person should read the Bible all the way through. Once they've done that, they might read just a little each day. I read a little out of the book of Psalms each day.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Any advice?
Find if you can "How to Enjoy the Bible" by Bullinger. (online free too)

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Any advice?

Well you know its important, but ask yourself this question : why is it important to you? What compelled you to read the bible in the first place? What about it you see will help your walk in this life? What about God you actually want to know?

If your answer is either because others said so, or because of ritual, then thats not making the Word personal for you. The bible is about God and the story of you, everyone mentioned in the bible all have their own story that you can relate to, and teaches you how to properly view this life. Also pray about it, pray what you would like to know and ask God to guide you.

I think it will help you to get a quick sense of the overall view of the bible so that you know more of which parts you want to focus more on. But again, its a personal cohesive book, so treat it personally and take your time.You're not being quizzed on how much you know, but how well you know it and apply it to your life.

The Bible Project channel on youtube is a great audiovisual overviews of the bible as well as a website filled with study guides and visuals and Q+A in case you want to dive deeper. I also listen to the bible,it gives me a sense that Im having a conversation, as oppose to being more solo reading the words on my own, and make it a habit to listen to a proverbs/psalms a day. But thats after getting a overall view of the bible.

The Bible Project Home | The Bible Project

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well you know its important, but ask yourself this question : why is it important to you? What compelled you to read the bible in the first place? What about it you see will help your walk in this life? What about God you actually want to know?

If your answer is either because others said so, or because of ritual, then thats not making the Word personal for you. The bible is about God and the story of you, everyone mentioned in the bible all have their own story that you can relate to, and teaches you how to properly view this life. Also pray about it, pray what you would like to know and ask God to guide you.

I think it will help you to get a quick sense of the overall view of the bible so that you know more of which parts you want to focus more on. But again, its a personal cohesive book, so treat it personally and take your time.You're not being quizzed on how much you know, but how well you know it and apply it to your life.

The Bible Project channel on youtube is a great audiovisual overviews of the bible as well as a website filled with study guides and visuals and Q+A in case you want to dive deeper.

The Bible Project Home | The Bible Project
Hey I watch Bible Project, they are awesome!

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey I watch Bible Project, they are awesome!

Oh yes, so amazing God bless them! I'm very audiovisual, so I sympathize what you are saying, for I was that way. But I went through some trials and discover that going to the Word became more personal than a chore. Haven't stop delighting in the Word ever since, I get to learn a little more of Christ and myself every day :)

I also find that I more and more able to share it with others, and I also see the world in such a clearer lens. Trust me, it gets exciting :)

Watch the videos of each book of the bible, binge watch if you need to, it will help you tremendously.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some great replies. Find what subject in the bible appeals to you and look up word studies about it or google different things that come to mind, become a researcher! Doors open and adventure happens.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
OO OO OOO also, listen to this sermon by John Piper. I was listening to it this morning on my way to work, and it embodied the dynamic nature of the word. It tackles the question on why God gave us such a hard text to read and understanding how to balance that in our daily lives. I think this is a beautiful sermon.

Why God Inspired Hard Texts

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some great replies. Find what subject in the bible appeals to you and look up word studies about it or google different things that come to mind, become a researcher! Doors open and adventure happens.
Do you mean as in which book? I really like the Proverbs.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Perhaps try out different translations. Everything will be familiar, but presented in a new way. You could also try reading the deuterocanon (or "apocrypha"), if you haven't already. It would be new territory for you to explore.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps try out different translations. Everything will be familiar, but presented in a new way. You could also try reading the deuterocanon (or "apocrypha"), if you haven't already. It would be new territory for you to explore.
Oh did not think of that. I read a bit of Enoch.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

You seem like someone interested in the wisdom books:

Proverbs
Job
Esseclesiates

That's also a good starting point. Asking the question: Father, what it means for one to be wise in this world? What does that look like? What are my expectation and responsibilities with this wisdom?

• Useful
Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs is a great book to read on the corresponding day of each month. This is the 14th so Prov. 14. For Word studies a concordence is handy. Or google anything placing bible ____ or bible verse ______ etc and that brings up lots of specific topics that are always interesting and lead to new questions. Just be sure that anything lines up with scripture at numerous places in the bible. If it doesn't, find out why.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You seem like someone interested in the wisdom books:

Proverbs
Job
Esseclesiates

That's also a good starting point. Asking the question: Father, what it means for one to be wise in this world? What does that look like? What are my expectation and responsibilities with this wisdom?
I agree to having a praying and grateful attitude. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Any advice?

Tell your Father.

(In other words, now may be time to upgrade from the "milk" of the canon to the "meat" of a direct conversational/educational relationship with our Father through the Holy Spirit.)

The Word of God is a Living Entity. He was crucified and died for the remission of sins - resurrecting to Life. The Word of God is not in any book, and cannot be contained in any book. The Word of God is written on your heart as per the new covenant. So, if you are bored with reading the canon, it may be time to talk to your Father as a primary form of relationship.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Any advice?

Try listening to The Bible Instead :

NKJV New King James Version Audio Bible for MP3 & iPod, Voice Only

NKJV_Bible_MP3_5__21979.1453058307.400.400.jpg

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Anyone's thoughts on an audio Bible? I am listening to it now and I think that it would me super amazing to listen to it whilst I am sleeping.

Its awesome, 80% of the time I do audio bible. Bible gateway is a fantastic website/ app with alot of different versions in case you want to study further.

Upvote 0