Border update -- Border Patrol reports 300% spike at border -- National Emergency

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Democrats continue to avoid the real issues. Increasing numbers of families want asylum and are coming to the border. The amount of drugs coming over the border is considerable and is killing tens of thousands. I STRONGLY AGREE that a physical wall is not a reasonable expenditure of money. However, it is NOT reasonable to argue that there is no crisis at the border.
Fortunately, no one is arguing that. But here is a question for you: Put aside the drugs for a moment and consider the refugees. They are trying to force the border, although not in anywhere near the number as the Right likes to make out. Why? because they know that if they enter illegally they can still, by law, get their asylum claims heard. Want to stop it? Change the law.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah! How dare anyone criticize Melania flying on a government jet to Florida to get a tan during the government shut down. She's been working hard on her anti-bullying campaign and deserves a break.

Just like her husband went to play golf at his golf course after he declared his national emergency. It must have really taken a lot out of him to declare such a crucial national emergency like that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Here you go buddy.

Normally a brash statement like this is accompanied by a actual source.

The Source would be the US government.

Fascinating. You think that a Fox news opinion piece by a union boss is "the government"?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to see that statistics of the actual United States Customs and Border Protection Agency instead of taking the word of a labor union president.....a labor union which endorsed Trump for president and has every interest in making that endorsement viable.
Border crossings are at the level they were in the 1970s, which was way lower than in 2,000. I was watching DHS Sec. Nielsen testifying this morning before the House committee on Homeland Security. She was saying that the biggest crisis at the border is that more crossings are whole families, which has never happened like this before, and there isn't adequate housing, medical assistance, and legal services. She said the Congress needs to fix the law so that refugees can remain in Mexico while they are being vetted and processed. The way I understood her, is that DHS has worked it out with the Mexican government, but it's our laws that are the problem. They also need more border patrol and transportation for people who cross in more remote areas so that they can get the medical assistance, food, and water quickly.

I think she is sincere in her concern and I didn't like it when one congressman tried to get her to speak against what the president has said. That isn't fair to her and would only cause unnecessary friction and make her job harder. It won't cause progress to be made. She tried to answer the question with a true statement without disparaging Trump's statement, that should have sufficed.

• Informative
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If those same people get into a car an kill themselves, that's on them. Cars are a choice, do you really think those trafficked, or Babies murdered had that choice?

Yours is one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever seen here.
Im sure somewhere on CF there's a thread about cheesecake recipes in which someone had to bring up abortion.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im sure somewhere on CF there's a thread about cheesecake recipes in which someone had to bring up abortion.

Just as there is about those who make extremely petty complaints about bringing up abortion. Did you happen to notice I was replying to a post on the thread, and was on topic with that post?

No, of course you didn't, why concern yourself with the facts. ;)

Geez :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Useful
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
National Border Patrol Council President: There is a national emergency on our border -- Here's proof

As a 21-year front line veteran Border Patrol agent and president of the National Border Patrol Council, I'd like to put to bed the false notion that there is no national emergency on the United States/Mexico border. I hope facts will do the trick.

Since November of 2013, I've been called upon to give expert Congressional testimony about various aspects of border security on 18 separate occasions. I've testified before the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee, the Senate Judiciary Committee, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, the House Judiciary Committee, and the House Committee on Natural Resources.

We're dealing with the smuggling of dangerous narcotics like opioids and fentanyl, which has caused an epidemic and American deaths at unprecedented rates.
We're dealing with a greater number of people from countries other than Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.
And to top it all off, we're dealing with a greater number of people illegally crossing the border who have prior criminal records in the United States.
Clearly, if the United States was dealing with a border crisis – humanitarian or otherwise – in 2014, you must agree that we're now dealing with a complete border catastrophe.

Once again, we must deal with facts and compare apples to apples. While we made more arrests in the 2000s than today, what you're not being told is that we're on pace to arrest more people in fiscal year 2019 than ever before.
This sounds confusing but it's actually simple. In the mid-2000s, the vast majority of people (over 90 percent) were returned to Mexico within a few hours of being arrested. Upon returning to Mexico, the same people would simply attempt another illegal border crossing. Former Border Patrol Chief Michael Fisher once proclaimed he arrested the same group of people 10 different times in the same shift.
Although I personally have never arrested the same group of people 10 times in one shift, I did arrest the same group of people multiple times in the same shift. It was commonplace. And while working in the Intelligence Division in 2006, I generated "recidivism” reports. Those reports clearly showed that we arrested the same people multiple times.

It's exactly why Donald needs to stop obsessing over the dang wall & put in the work that is actually needed to resolve the crisis, which isn't his wall.

He just shut the government down for the longest in history, accomplishing diddly squat except to make things worse for the folks who work for Border Patrol. They've already struggled awful to hire, retain folks for important positions. They are gravely understaffed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I'm well aware of Fast and Furious. The assertion that the administration "wholesale 'giving' of guns" is simply false.

Spare me the smugness unless you can quote where in your links it says anything about the "wholesale giving" of guns.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What a bizarre response. Prrhaps you could point to the part of LoAmmi's post where they mention abortion.

No one claimed he did, nor did I ever even think that.

Probably best of you figure it out for yourself since it appears to be a needed exercise.

Hint: Before you jump in be at least fairly familiar what s going on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do flaming rules not apply to Conservative Christians here? :scratch:

You are the one complaining, what do you want, I just ignore or be a accused of flaming? And what was the Flame exactly?

I'm thinking you are changing the subject at the opportune time.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Buddy, you're the one who started this sideshow. At least post a non-biased source for your information instead of the source from a biased labor union.

What's a non-biased source?

Funny how there's that sharp decrease in 2008 after we put up all that fencing and infrastructure. It's just like what you'd expect if physical barriers work.

Anyway....yeah, there's clearly a trend of decreasing numbers of Mexicans and increasing numbers of central Americans. Sadly, your numbers stop at 2017.

Border apprehensions up nearly 100,000 in fiscal 2018

Sounds like in 2018...we're seeing an increase of about 100,000 over 2017. That is about half a million. If we're seeing a 300% increase over this time last year....that's nothing to balk at....that's a spike. If everything indicates that it's only going up, then something should be done.

Frankly, I don't care if people call it an emergency or not. We cannot hope to take on half a million to a million new poor uneducated people every year and sustain ourselves. We're a nation....not a soup kitchen.

• Winner
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet you all unload everything you can on him when he tries to do that job?
The incompetence I was alluding to was his inability to get even his own party members onboard with his proposals. That takes a special kind of bad at your job to pull off.

Upvote 0