Border update -- Border Patrol reports 300% spike at border -- National Emergency

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
How soon will it come out? A month? A year? That is a pretty major prediction, and a serious accusation. When will it be revealed and what do you know that we don’t?
It must be true. The Democrats must have some sinister reason for opposing The Wall (besides that it's stupid).

• Haha
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I need to be direct with this statement and I'm sorry if you're offended by it, but if your children were the subject of an illegal's violence, you might change your focus.
Fortunately we don’t let victims of crimes make policy decisions, as they would be fueled by revenge and not objective.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There IS INDEED a crisis at the border. The numbers of families fleeing Central America continue to increase. The strange thing is that these folks turn themselves in. They want asylum. So, yes, the number of arrests should go up.

A wall is not going to stop those who want to be arrested.

The facilities to hold these folks are woefully understaffed and overcrowded.

I agree that this will be an issue in 2020. The Republicans will say that there is a crisis (and that the wall is the answer). The Democrats will say the there is no crisis, so no answer is needed. I submit that this is NOT a winning argument for Democrats.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Based on what? The fact they confiscate more at the checkpoints? How do they know how much is coming across uncontrolled areas? They don't...
Because the immigrants that they do interdict never have any quantities of drugs in their possession?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It must be true. The Democrats must have some sinister reason for opposing The Wall (besides that it's stupid).

Democrats continue to avoid the real issues. Increasing numbers of families want asylum and are coming to the border. The amount of drugs coming over the border is considerable and is killing tens of thousands. I STRONGLY AGREE that a physical wall is not a reasonable expenditure of money. However, it is NOT reasonable to argue that there is no crisis at the border.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Based on what? The fact they confiscate more at the checkpoints? How do they know how much is coming across uncontrolled areas? They don't...
Semi trucks and cars need roads to drive on. Those roads run into checkpoints. No one is driving straight through the open desert, over mountains and across rivers.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There IS INDEED a crisis at the border. The numbers of families fleeing Central America continue to increase. The strange thing is that these folks turn themselves in. They want asylum. So, yes, the number of arrests should go up.

I agree that this will be an issue in 2020. The Republicans will say that there is a crisis (and that the wall is the answer). The Democrats will say the there is no crisis, so no answer is needed. I submit that this is NOT a winning argument for Democrats.
Democrats have to make clear the difference between an humanitarian crisis and a national security crisis. Democrats have been pointing to the situation with asylum seekers it an humanitarian crisis for a long time. But it is not a national security crisis as the Right tries to paint it.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As I said, what do they know. Speculation it so much better than data.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So, we are reduced to discussing what kind of crisis we have at the border. We are reduced to criticizing someone who has a 4th grade vocabulary on his use of imprecise language.

Trump says that it is a crisis at the border. He calls it a national security crisis.
Trump says that it is a matter of national security that hundreds of thousands want asylum.
Trump says that it is a matter of national security that the border facilities cannot support the crowds.
Trump says that it is a matter of national security that so many die of drugs that enter through Mexico.

Democrats answer that there is no national security crisis. They argue that we should send billions to Central America and that the sending of money will solve the problem at the border, which is not a national security problem.
======
I submit that those not at the extremes of American politics will conclude that there IS INDEED a crisis, and that it doesn't matter what we label it. They will also conclude that we are not sufficiently addressing the problem. Finally, they will hear that Trump keeps on saying that there is a crisis and the Democrats keep on saying that there is no crisis.

CONCLUSION
This is NOT a winning issue for Democrats.

Democrats have to make clear the difference between an humanitarian crisis and a national security crisis. Democrats have been pointing to the situation with asylum seekers it an humanitarian crisis for a long time. But it is not a national security crisis as the Right tries to paint it.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Funny how the problem seems to have gotten worse since Trump's been president.

Donald does seem to have that effect... on everything.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As an aside, the US could choose to completely abandon the Middle East. Do have any reliable allies there? Do we have key strategic US interests there?
Key strategic interests. No allies.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So, we are reduced to discussing what kind of crisis we have at the border. We are reduced to criticizing someone who has a 4th grade vocabulary on his use of imprecise language.

Trump says that it is a crisis at the border. He calls it a national security crisis.
Trump says that it is a matter of national security that hundreds of thousands want asylum.
Trump says that it is a matter of national security that the border facilities cannot support the crowds.
Trump says that it is a matter of national security that so many die of drugs that enter through Mexico.

Democrats answer that there is no national security crisis. They argue that we should send billions to Central America and that the sending of money will solve the problem at the border, which is not a national security problem.
======
I submit that those not at the extremes of American politics will conclude that there IS INDEED a crisis, and that it doesn't matter what we label it. They will also conclude that we are not sufficiently addressing the problem. Finally, they will hear that Trump keeps on saying that there is a crisis and the Democrats keep on saying that there is no crisis.

CONCLUSION
This is NOT a winning issue for Democrats.
It might be, depending on how it plays out. Dems propose more than just sending billions to the failed states of Central America and the Trumpies are pretty clear that the humanitarian side of of whatever kind of crisis you want to call it has no meaning for them.

I'm waiting for film of the Army Engineers bulldozing that pretty little chapel at La Lomita. and showing Trump supporters cheering because a) they are getting their wall and b) because the chapel was built and attended by Latino Roman Catholics.

It will be priceless footage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we removed all cars from the United States, we'd save nearly 33,000 people and over 2 million injuries. Please help me in my quest to remove cars and save 33,000 people. OR DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT THE SANCTITY OF LIFE?!

If those same people get into a car an kill themselves, that's on them. Cars are a choice, do you really think those trafficked, or Babies murdered had that choice?

Yours is one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever seen here.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I feel sorry for those that cannot often take a nice vacation. It's the American Dream, Work Hard take vacations enjoy a nice retirement someday.

Yeah! How dare anyone criticize Melania flying on a government jet to Florida to get a tan during the government shut down. She's been working hard on her anti-bullying campaign and deserves a break.

• Winner
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Especially since they're turning themselves in at the crossings -- which is their right, under US and International law, to do.

My understanding of the current administration's thinking is that this isn't a "crisis"; it's at least partially by design in order to discourage future crossings.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It will come out in short time that certain high level Democratic leaders have ties to the Sinaloa Cartel and MS13.

The tin foil garbage some here believe never ceases to amaze me.

Remember "Fast and Furious", the wholesale giving of weapons to the Cartels by the Obama administration?

No I don't remember that. Probably because it never happened.

Upvote 0