Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is the Black National Anthem? Step in the name of love?

Seriously though. No black person under the age of 75 actually sings or knows the lyrics to this supposed Black National Anthem.

Is there a Latino National Anthem too or do only black people have one?
Yes, but that is the point I think previous posters were making. This "anthem" is a contrivance, and its purpose is to further divide the country. The fact that it suddenly became "a thing to do" at NFL games (and just wait and see what's next!) shows it to be so.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not opposed to that at all.
Clyburn's too late for that. It has already been billed as the Black National Anthem, and that's the purpose for which it will be played before sports events.

So no amount of "official" proclamations or fast talking or renaming of the hymn can undo that.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clyburn's too late for that. It has already been billed as the Black National Anthem, and that's the purpose for which it will be played before sports events.

So no amount of "official" proclamations or fast talking or renaming of the hymn can undo that.

The name of the song is "Lift Every Voice and Sing." It does not need to be renamed.

Frankly, I'd rather white people not sing it at all.

I don't mind white people wearing dreadlocks, or doing the Lindy Hop, or playing jazz or blues. Of all claims of "cultural appropriation" that don't bother me at all, it would bother me if white people appropriated "Lift Every Voice and Sing."

As I said in my first post in this thread, I don't think it's appropriate for an NFL audience.

But all of these histrionics about it are absurd.

• Agree
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The name of the song is "Lift Every Voice and Sing." It does not need to be renamed.
You're addressing me, and I certainly agree with what you wrote there. But that doesn't change a thing about the significance, intentions, perceptions, or etc. of the anthem. All of that has already been established, like it or not.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're addressing me, and I certainly agree with what you wrote here. But that doesn't change a thing about the significance, intentions, perceptions, or etc. That's already been established, like it or not.

It was never established to be the anthem of the United States...there were never, ever any such intentions or perceptions. We never sang it as any kind of replacement for the US national anthem. It's not being promoted to be the anthem of the United States now.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was never established to be the anthem of the United States...there were never, ever any such intentions or perceptions. We never sang it as any kind of replacement for the US national anthem. It's not being promoted to be the anthem of the United States now.
It's being promoted as a parallel to the national anthem or as the national anthem of a certain segment of the nation's population.

Upvote 0

Tied_In_Knots

Jul 19, 2021
Silver Springs
✟15,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but that is the point I think previous posters were making. This "anthem" is a contrivance, and its purpose is to further divide the country. The fact that it suddenly became "a thing to do" at NFL games (and just wait and see what's next!) shows it to be so.

My interest is piqued, What is next? and how did you come to learn of the future?

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well I don't think it's purpose is to divide. I just think it downright silly to make a "Black National Anthem" out of a song that the average black person sings once during Black History Month in the third grade because your 90 year old teacher forced you to, once at church when you are 12, and once's at your auntie's funeral 50 years later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
its purpose is to further divide the country.

How does elevating this song to the status of National Hymn "further divide the country"? Who would have a problem with it and why?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well I don't think it's purpose is to divide. I just think it downright silly to make a "Black National Anthem" out of a song that the average black person sings once during Black History Month in the third grade because your 90 year old teacher forced you to, once at church when you are 12, and once's at your auntie's funeral 50 years later.
...which shows that SOMEONE's big idea was not just to sing a famous song for some innocent reason.

As for dividing, you probably have a point to the extent that nobody likely sat down and said to himself, "Now, how can I further divide Americans into factions and make them resent each other?" That isn't to say that there are not such people, but I tend to doubt that it's what is behind this particular development.

This sort of thing is more like "We have to show them ______!" but that's automatically to think of the people in segments. Sometimes it's racial, sometimes class, sometimes age groups, and sometimes something else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This sort of thing is more like "We have to show them ______!" but that's automatically to think of the people in segments. Sometimes it's racial, sometimes class, sometimes age groups, and sometimes something else.
Well in this case I wouldn't say it's a "we have to show them" type of attitude. I would say it's more of a "I have an inferiority complex and need white people to pat me on the head and accept my song" sort of thing (although they will never admit it). It's the same sort of thing as complaining about the Oscar's or not having enough black people in Hollywood movies a few years back. Plenty of directors have been making great movies with black casts for years, but that means nothing unless white people validate it.

Personally, I could not care less what ya'll think.

Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You aren't alone in seeing things that are tailored to black people or designed to represent black people as exclusionary, and undoubtedly if you looked for an example of that being the case you could find some. However you might also want to consider that it overwhelmingly isn't about excluding or alienating you, or taking something way from you
I don't see it as taking something away from me, if anything it might be taking something away from black people. When you combine it with a lot of statements about the flag or the anthem "not representing black people", it makes me wonder about the motives.

I mean, I can understand black people having a beef, or not thinking the flag or country represents them, the history is disturbing, no one can deny that. Having a Black National Anthem is separating them out to some extent (especially combined with the above comments). So with that in mind, why do we not have a song that represents ALL of us, because we want some form of unity, right? We have the country's National Anthem and the flag, but these days people don't seem to accept that as representing everyone, so it's creating a void. I'm sure any enemies the country might have are pleased as can be about it.

Nothing against the song, it's not like I hate the song. And if it means something to a particular group, that's fine too. I'm not sure "Black National Anthem" is the best choice of name for it. And I still haven't heard who decided to call this the "Black National Anthem"? Did black people decide this themselves, or was it some white activist?

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure "Black National Anthem" is the best choice of name for it. And I still haven't heard who decided to call this the "Black National Anthem"? Did black people decide this themselves, or was it some white activist?
I think the NAACP called it the "Negro National Anthem" a thousand years ago.

I'm calling "Deep in the Heart of Texas" the "White National Anthem" since there's just as many white people who sing that song as there are black people who sing Lift Every Voice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tied_In_Knots

Jul 19, 2021
Silver Springs
✟15,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think the NAACP called it the "Negro National Anthem" a thousand years ago.

I'm calling "Deep in the Heart of Texas" the "White National Anthem" since there's just as many white people who sing that song as there are black people who sing Lift Every Voice.

You seem to be pretty certain that Lift Every Voice is an obscure and not particularly meaningful song in the minds of most black people, What has led you to make this conclusion?

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You seem to be pretty certain that Lift Every Voice is an obscure and not particularly meaningful song in the minds of most black people, What has led you to make this conclusion?
I wouldn't say obscure. Most have been taught the song or have sung it at church, school, a family get-together, etc. but it's not sung by most people nowadays with any significant frequency unless you are ancient. Does your family get together and sing this song on a weekly or monthly basis? If so you are the weirdo, trust me.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't say obscure. Most have been taught the song or have sung it at church, school, a family get-together, etc. but it's not sung by most people nowadays with any significant frequency unless you are ancient. Does your family get together and sing this song on a weekly or monthly basis? If so you are the weirdo, trust me.

Well, heck, that's true of The Star-Spangled Banner.

Upvote 0

Tied_In_Knots

Jul 19, 2021
Silver Springs
✟15,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Perhaps you don't realize it, but you are just repeating your assertions without answering what has actually led you to believe these things.

anyway to answer your question I think that a family coming together to sing any song on a weekly/monthly basis would be pretty odd. I rarely sing the star spangled banner, and I cannot recall a single instance of singing it with my family, I probably go years without actually singing it but its still an important and meaningful song to me. All that to say that I think your criteria for what makes a song meaningful, significant or important would exclude a great many songs that people actually do cherish.

I should also point out the fact that the star spangled banner is used to kick off many sporting events by default makes it ubiquitous and presumably by your criteria that makes it important, but I'd argue that if the added lift every voice to every sporting event then it could just as easily satisfy your criteria. What we decide to grant importance to in this way as a society is just that a decision, a choice no song or poem or image is automagically granted with the magical property of importance it is something we attribute to it on purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0