Black National Anthem

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟104,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What we all want is still the same as it has always been. The rhetoric has changed. Politicians purposefully heat up the rhetoric because it gets them fundraising dollars and votes. Media does it for ratings.
I think you're half right. Part of it is rhetoric. But the two sides have grown further apart, and the political philosophy that defines them are not really compatible. Compromise could be possible, except our elected leaders do not want to work with each other, and are mainly interesting in grabbing power for themselves and their party. As opposed to serving the people. Even among the people, the amount of hate out there has reached very serious levels.

• Agree
Reactions: Thomas White
Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
They can't be "reminded" about something they didn't experience in the first place, any more than I can be reminded about anything that my ancestors did or experienced before I was even born.

Clearly, you did not read my post.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it weren't another attempt at segregation, it wouldn't be called the "Black national anthem" and played alongside the "American national anthem" at NFL games. It sure does beg some questions:

1. What would be the response from blacks if white players knelt during the Black national anthem?
2. Should Asian and Hispanic players be offended that they don't have a national anthem of their own?
3. Should the Olympics adopt a policy of multiple national anthems based on the athlete's skin color?

We black people were sitting here with "Lift Every Voice and Sing" laying quietly among our traditions. @Swag365 even denies that young black people know or sing the song at all, which I debated, but for sure, it's not of raging popularity in the black community.

There are no black separatist groups or anti-integrationists singing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" in their secret separatist and anti-integrationist meetings. The Nation of Islam would never "Lift Every Voice and Sing." The New Black Panthers would never sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing." Neither Antifa nor the BLM organization sings "Lift Every Voice and Sing."

Those of us of the traditional MLK ilk will sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" on special occasions. It is a song that longs for integration.

The only question here (and you used the phrase "begs the question" incorrectly, btw), is "Who does the NFL think it's pandering to?" In several ways, it's offensive that they think their use of our song buys them anywhere from us.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They can't be "reminded" about something they didn't experience in the first place, any more than I can be reminded about anything that my ancestors did or experienced before I was even born.
What do you want exactly? Some black people don't like or identify with the national anthem. Some may not like the USA. Some may not like white people and view the national anthem as a song for white people.

Why do you even care if they want nothing to do with you or the song? What do you want, all of them to take an oath of fidelity and love of the white man or something along those lines?

If a group of KKK members wants to sing their own song out in the boondocks or wherever they may still exist, makes no difference to me. They can just do their thing out there in the woods, and I'll do my thing here in the city. Why do you care?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We black people were sitting here with "Lift Every Voice and Sing" laying quietly among our traditions. @Swag365 even denies that young black people know or sing the song at all, which I debated, but for sure, it's not of raging popularity in the black community.

There are no black separatist groups or anti-integrationists singing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" in their secret separatist and anti-integrationist meetings. The Nation of Islam would never "Lift Every Voice and Sing." The New Black Panthers would never sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing." Neither Antifa nor the BLM organization sings "Lift Every Voice and Sing."

Those of us of the traditional MLK ilk will sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" on special occasions. It is a song that longs for integration.

The only question here (and you used the phrase "begs the question" incorrectly, btw), is "Who does the NFL think it's pandering to?" In several ways, it's offensive that they think their use of our song buys them anywhere from us.

Segregation can take form without needing a "black separatist group" calling for it. TV channels that feature programming that panders to black people, and contain only black people are an example of segregation in that a distinction is being made according to race. Same with restrooms and drinking fountains being labeled for use by people of certain skin colors. It's a way of separating people according to race as if race makes people so different from one another.

As for why the NFL is doing it, here's what they have to say about it:
Why is the NFL playing the Black national anthem before games?
The song is expected to be played before the "Star-Spangled Banner" during Week 1 contests in an acknowledgement of the systemic struggle for equality of Black people in the U.S. It's a gesture that follows a period of the NFL discouraging players from highlighting race-related issues on game day.
What is the Black national anthem? Here's why the NFL plays 'Lift Every Voice and Sing' before games

IOW, they want to virtue signal.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Segregation can take form without needing a "black separatist group" calling for it. TV channels that feature programming that panders to black people, and contain only black people are an example of segregation in that a distinction is being made according to race. Same with restrooms and drinking fountains being labeled for use by people of certain skin colors. It's a way of separating people according to race as if race makes people so different from one another.

No, it's not the same thing at all. Anyone can watch those stations. "Distinction" is not segregation. That's like saying the existence of jazz or swing dancing is segregation, when anyone can indulge in those activities.

Nope, it's not at all the same thing as segregated restrooms or drinking fountains, and it's an absurd level of gaslighting to assert that they are the same.

• Winner
Reactions: Thomas White
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, it's not the same thing at all. Anyone can watch those stations. "Distinction" is not segregation. That's like saying the existence of jazz or swing dancing is segregation, when anyone can indulge in those activities.

Anyone can listen to the Star Spangled Banner. Anyone can go to a KKK website. Access doesn't define segregation. Distinguishing and grouping according to color, whether by law or by choice is. According to the online definition of "segregate": set apart from the rest or from each other; isolate or divide.
Again, this can be done by law or by choice. What's happening today is by choice.

Nope, it's not at all the same thing as segregated restrooms or drinking fountains, and it's an absurd level of gaslighting to assert that they are the same.

Not exactly the same, but has the same racist theme.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Access doesn't define segregation.

Yes, it does. Controlling access is totally what segregation is about. If access is truly uncontrolled, there is no segregation.

If you were arguing that fringe accusations of "cultural appropriation" were attempts at segregation, you might have a point because those are attempts to limit access.

But it's all about access.

You might as well claim country music is segregation. Or Mexican restaurants. Or German restaurants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it does. Controlling access is totally what segregation is about. If access is uncontrolled, there is no segregation.

Read the definition again: "set apart from the rest or from each other; isolate or divide."

Now, explain to me how having a separate national anthem for black people does not divide or set black people apart.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the definition again: "set apart from the rest or from each other; isolate or divide."

Now, explain to me how having a separate national anthem for black people does not divide or set black people apart.

Segregation: the action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people or things or being set apart.

meaning of segregation - Google Search

If everyone has free access to a thing, it is not "set apart." It may be "distinct," but it is not "set apart."

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for saying this. Your reply stopped me from calling people names.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Segregation: the action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people or things or being set apart.

meaning of segregation - Google Search

If everyone has free access to a thing, it is not "set apart." It may be "distinct," but it is not "set apart."

Setting it apart according to color (black) is still setting it apart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, it's not the same thing at all. Anyone can watch those stations. "Distinction" is not segregation.

I guess we're going to play dueling definitions.
Distinction: "a discrimination made between things as different; special regard or favoritism".

Definition of distinction | Dictionary.com

Care to look up what "Discrimination" means?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess we're going to play dueling definitions.
Distinction: "a discrimination made between things as different; special regard or favoritism".

Definition of distinction | Dictionary.com

Care to look up what "Discrimination" means?

Discrimination has never been uniquely and universally a "bad" word. People properly discriminate between things all the time, such as between good service and bad service at a restaurant.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Discrimination has never been uniquely and universally a "bad" word. People properly discriminate between things all the time, such as between good service and bad service at a restaurant.

I used to tell people that, but kept being informed so many times that it isn't what you said until I started believing it. Now it seems the definition has changed back again.
It would be nice if dictionaries became a reliable source of definitions again.

Upvote 0