USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you don't realize it, but you are just repeating your assertions without answering what has actually led you to believe these things.
I did a scientific study on it. Look, it's a silly question. Obviously it is my opinion and it is based on my own personal experience.

anyway to answer your question I think that a family coming together to sing any song on a weekly/monthly basis would be pretty odd. I rarely sing the star spangled banner, and I cannot recall a single instance of singing it with my family, I probably go years without actually singing it but its still an important and meaningful song to me. All that to say that I think your criteria for what makes a song meaningful, significant or important would exclude a great many songs that people actually do cherish.
OK you think that black people cherish the song. I do not. I went to the barbershop and asked my homies if they care about this song and they said "Hell nah". As for my "criteria" this is getting a bit silly. Nobody laid out specific criteria for what makes a song "meaningful, significant or important". I don't even think I said anything about those topics. I said that nobody sings the song.

I should also point out the fact that the star spangled banner is used to kick off many sporting events by default makes it ubiquitous and presumably by your criteria that makes it important, but I'd argue that if the added lift every voice to every sporting event then it could just as easily satisfy your criteria. What we decide to grant importance to in this way as a society is just that a decision, a choice no song or poem or image is automagically granted with the magical property of importance it is something we attribute to it on purpose.
Again, I find this to be silly. You are trying to prove something that is inherently subjective, based on some objective "criteria" that nobody has stated. It's just my opinion. You disagree with it, which is perfectly fine.

Upvote 0

Tied_In_Knots

Jul 19, 2021
Silver Springs
✟15,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I did a scientific study on it. Look, it's a silly question. Obviously it is my opinion and it is based on my own personal experience.

I believe that people form opinions for reasons and I wanted to know your reasons, whether that was scientific research, some specific personal experiences or something you overheard on a bus once. You may not see the value in me wanting to know that, but I want to know things like that sometimes.

OK you think that black people cherish the song. I do not. I went to the barbershop and asked my homies if they care about this song and they said "Hell nah". As for my "criteria" this is getting a bit silly. Nobody laid out specific criteria for what makes a song "meaningful, significant or important". I don't even think I said anything about those topics. I said that nobody sings the song.

Did you actually ask around at a barbershop because that is interesting?
I only asserted that I cherish the song, I actually don't know how most black people feel about it or whether or not they know it which is why I found it so intriguing that you seem to believe that you do know with such a high degree of confidence. It is beginning to look as though you know about as much as I do though, which is fine, just odd that you are so confident about a fairly uninformed opinion. Anyway you did bring up the idea of families coming together on a weekly/monthly basis to sing the song, I assumed you were using this as some sort of criteria or justification of your assertion, but since you say that you weren't, I cannot imagine what your point was.

Again, I find this to be silly. You are trying to prove something that is inherently subjective, based on some objective "criteria" that nobody has stated. It's just my opinion. You disagree with it, which is perfectly fine.

Well an objective number of black people know the song, the ages of those black people are also objective. There are an objective number of black people that have sung the song lets say in the past year and an objective number of black people would assert that it is important or meaningful to them. We do not know what those numbers are but that does not make the answers subjective, it makes us ignorant of the state of affairs. I did not so much disagree with your opinion as boggle over what made you so sure of yourself, honestly though I think I have my answer now.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I believe that people form opinions for reasons and I wanted to know your reasons, whether that was scientific research, some specific personal experiences or something you overheard on a bus once. You may not see the value in me wanting to know that, but I want to know things like that sometimes.

Did you actually ask around at a barbershop because that is interesting?
I only asserted that I cherish the song, I actually don't know how most black people feel about it or whether or not they know it which is why I found it so intriguing that you seem to believe that you do know with such a high degree of confidence. It is beginning to look as though you know about as much as I do though, which is fine, just odd that you are so confident about a fairly uninformed opinion. Anyway you did bring up the idea of families coming together on a weekly/monthly basis to sing the song, I assumed you were using this as some sort of criteria or justification of your assertion, but since you say that you weren't, I cannot imagine what your point was.

Well an objective number of black people know the song, the ages of those black people are also objective. There are an objective number of black people that have sung the song lets say in the past year and an objective number of black people would assert that it is important or meaningful to them. We do not know what those numbers are but that does not make the answers subjective, it makes us ignorant of the state of affairs. I did not so much disagree with your opinion as boggle over what made you so sure of yourself, honestly though I think I have my answer now.
It's an opinion. Who knows maybe I am wrong. I never said it was the gospel personally handed down by our Lord when he walked the Earth, if that is the impression you got.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The average American hears that song at least once a week, if not every day.

lol wut? Where does the average American hear that song so frequently? Am I the only one without season tickets to a sports team?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Monday Night Football

That gets about 15 million viewers per game, so it's not the "average American."

Last I checked, "Monday" is not "every day."

source.gif

Either way, does MNF even air the anthem? They don't on Sundays.

Looks like they usually don't:
ESPN won't air national anthem in Monday Night Football
ESPN's 'Monday Night Football' won't shy away from protests

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Friday Night Football, under the lights.
Um, there's Sunday Night Football. Not to mention in the afternoon. And later in the year there's Saturday Football.

And there's Saturday football before that, if you include college. I don't really watch college football, do they play the anthem for that? I bet a lot of those college kids would walk out if you played the National Anthem at a college, comrade.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Um, there's Sunday Night Football. Not to mention in the afternoon. And later in the year there's Saturday Football.

And there's Saturday football before that, if you include college. I don't really watch college football, do they play the anthem for that? I bet a lot of those college kids would walk out if you played the National Anthem at a college, comrade.
Monday Night Baseball

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Note this verse from our national anthem. Should everyone be proud of its message?

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I'm not sure what the point of having a "black national anthem" is unless the people calling it that want to say that this isn't their country or they aren't citizens of it. .

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would replace our current anthem with "America The Beautiful In a Second".

For those who want a secular anthem, "This Land Is Your Land" fits the bill.

If there's a national anthem for blacks and a national anthem for whites, does there need to be a national anthem for Hispanics as well? What about Asians? Does this then imply with each different ethnicity getting their own national anthem that there should be individual nations to correspond to each ethnicity?

Or is the idea to replace the current USA national anthem with the black national anthem?

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Note this verse from our national anthem. Should everyone be proud of its message?

Does anyone sing this verse?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

When is the last time you heard that part of it played or sung? I can count on the fingers of my nonexistent third hand how many times I've heard it.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When is the last time you heard that part of it played or sung? I can count on the fingers of my nonexistent third hand how many times I've heard it.

Then, the government should make clear that the national anthem is only the one verse we sing at baseball games.

Upvote 0