• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Black National Anthem

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Humble_Disciple, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Humble_Disciple

Humble_Disciple Well-Known Member

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    The "black national anthem" is obviously a Christian hymn. Is the "woke" left removing any references to God when they promote it? Aren't these the same people who wanted "under God" removed from the pledge?

It's because I care about black heritage, especially the heritage of black Christians, that I don't want the left appropriating the song.

Black Americans: Most Religious Ethnic Group

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. hislegacy

hislegacy Respect to those who we lost

+10,120
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    What black nation are they signing to? America is a melting pot of nations into one.

E pluribus unum
    E pluribus unum – Latin for "Out of many, one" – is a traditional motto of the United States, appearing on the Great Seal

My parents and grand parents didn't immigrate (Legally) to a black America, or a white America - they came to America.

When will we stop focusing on what divides and start on what brings us together?

That is the strength of this great nation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  3. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+9,790
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    A retired teacher died last week. It was played at her funeral. Beautiful.

She was white. Beautiful for all people.

4. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,491
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Where did this information come from, please?

5. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    Which information specifically?

6. hislegacy

+10,120
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Disagree, just because they have God mentioned in the song does not make it a Christian song. Reading of the authors bio there is nothing mentioned of his faith.

That point is in error.

7. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    The song is like a hundred years old. Do you know the full history behind it? It makes references to the Bible.

8. hislegacy

+10,120
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    James Weldon Johnson is well documented and beyond his father being a pastor, I can find no references to him being a religious person. He has a bevy of poetic writings.

The closest is "God's Trombones - Seven Negro Sermons in verse.

I remember hearing in my boyhood sermons that were current, sermons that passed with only slight modifications from preacher to preacher and from locality to locality. Such sermons were: "The Valley of Dry Bones," which was based on the vision of the prophet in the 37th chapter of Ezekiel; the "Train Sermon," in which both God and the devil were pictured as running trains, one loaded with saints, that pulled up in heaven, and the other with sinners, that dumped its load in hell; the "Heavenly March," which gave in detail the journey of the faithful from earth, on up through the pearly gates to the great white throne. Then there was a stereotyped sermon which had no definite subject, and which was quite generally preached; it began with the Creation, went on to the fall of man, rambled through the trials and tribulations of the Hebrew Children, came down to the redemption by Christ, and ended with the Judgment Day and a warning and an exhortation to sinners.
    He goes on to write about the faith of others - never his own.

We have a difference of opinion.

If this is a Christian Hymn then it is being misused. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a call to reconciliation and being one in Christ. Instead it is used to symbolize a divide within this nation. There is no Black National Anthem, because there is no Black Nation - there is ONE nation under God.

9. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,491
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The information that I quoted in my post to you.

10. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+15,088
    Christian
    Married
    No, it's not the same people. Some of you people work extra hours to find something about black people to kvetch about.

Next dumb issue....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    It's because I care about black heritage, especially the heritage of black Christians, that I don't want the left appropriating the song.

Black Americans: Most Religious Ethnic Group

12. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+8,541
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I'm not sure what the point of having a "black national anthem" is unless the people calling it that want to say that this isn't their country or they aren't citizens of it. They said they didn't want segregation, but this is just another example of segregating themselves. Just try to imagine an Olympic Games where we play our black national anthem and our white national anthem separately due to the black athletes wanting their own anthem. The rest of the world would be understandably be confused by the message it would send--that blacks fought to end segregation, and once they had succeeded, they proceed to demand even more segregation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. iarwain

iarwain Newbie

+173
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I'm not at all sure that it is black people who came up with this idea of pushing the "black national anthem", most notably by playing it at NFL games.

14. RDKirk

+15,088
    Christian
    Married
    We've been singing that song for a century. It's been unofficially called the black national anthem since before white people let us into venues that they sang the Star Spangled Banner.

Y'all are just looking for stuff to be upset about black people.

Here is the 1942 version.

Lift Every Voice And Sing - James Weldon Johnson [1942] - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced

16. hislegacy

+10,120
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes the song has been sung for over 100 years.

When did it become the Black National anthem?

Also, what Black nation is it the anthem of? Suddenly the US is so divided that it has become two nations?

How many more nations will there be?

As for me and many others, we are one nation. I fought for one nation, I pay taxes for one nation. I pledge my loyalty to one nation. When will we follow Martin Luther King Jrs legacy and come together as one?

There is zero, no one alive today who experienced slavery and I would venture to guess not many who were around in the 60’s civil rights movements.

if you are going to involve Christianity into your cause, then you should bring Christ and His ways into it. Otherwise it is hypocrisy to claim it.

Do good to those who despitefully use you. Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere and I certainly saw it in Dr King, who changed the face of this nation.

17. RDKirk

+15,088
    Christian
    Married
    Nowhere is it your business.

18. hislegacy

+10,120
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    It is 100% his right to express his views and opinions though.

19. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+9,165
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Only if the government requires people to sing it.

20. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Anti-Democratic Monarchist

+2,874
    New Zealand
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If there's a national anthem for blacks and a national anthem for whites, does there need to be a national anthem for Hispanics as well? What about Asians? Does this then imply with each different ethnicity getting their own national anthem that there should be individual nations to correspond to each ethnicity?

Or is the idea to replace the current USA national anthem with the black national anthem?