USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"America is a melting pot of nations into one." amen but this is not what some look at or care about. They are still using people and they don't even know they are being used.

Today we see the word of God unfold before us.. truth is now a lie and that lie is now a truth.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"What it's called" doesn't mean anything substantial. Nobody is proposing that it replace The Star-Spangled Banner" as the official national anthem, so you're still gaslighting the issue.

Believe what you wish.

What could ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ be replaced with?
Since it was implemented in the early 20th century, ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ has been sung by everyone and their mother. Stars from Whitney Houston to Marvin Gaye, and opera star Renée Fleming (watch above), have put their own take on the song. We’ve heard it at pretty much every sporting event with a US team, including the Super Bowl, and it is without doubt one of America’s most popular patriotic tunes.

But, as historian and scholar Daniel E. Walker asks, is ‘tradition’ really a good enough reason to keep something?

Activist and journalist Kevin Powell, also speaking to Yahoo Entertainment, says he thinks artists will soon start refusing to sing Key’s lyrics at sporting events like the Super Bowl.

‘Lift Every Voice and Sing’, which many will recognise from Beyoncé’s famous 2018 Coachella set, is a popular contender for a replacement anthem.
Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be replaced with a new US national anthem - Classic FM

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believe what you wish.

What could ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ be replaced with?
Since it was implemented in the early 20th century, ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ has been sung by everyone and their mother. Stars from Whitney Houston to Marvin Gaye, and opera star Renée Fleming (watch above), have put their own take on the song. We’ve heard it at pretty much every sporting event with a US team, including the Super Bowl, and it is without doubt one of America’s most popular patriotic tunes.

But, as historian and scholar Daniel E. Walker asks, is ‘tradition’ really a good enough reason to keep something?

Activist and journalist Kevin Powell, also speaking to Yahoo Entertainment, says he thinks artists will soon start refusing to sing Key’s lyrics at sporting events like the Super Bowl.

‘Lift Every Voice and Sing’, which many will recognise from Beyoncé’s famous 2018 Coachella set, is a popular contender for a replacement anthem.
Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be replaced with a new US national anthem - Classic FM

Who suggests that? The article doesn't name anyone who has made that suggestion. Heck the article doesn't even identify its own writer.

And then in the very next line, it proposes something else:

There have also been calls to replace the anthem with John Lennon’s song for peace, ‘Imagine’.

So, you're still gaslighting.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, you're still gaslighting.

A new favorite word?

Well, here's something from a site that's right up your alley. I had to make sure it wasn't one of those satire sites after reading the article. But it looks like they're serious. Seriously!

The National Football League has announced that it will now include “Lift Every Voice and Sing” at the start of its games. The song does replace ”The Star Spangled Banner, the official national anthem of the United States". During Super Bowl 55 in February, the NFL permitted the song to be performed before the game, by Alicia Key.

Players from the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers connecting side-by-side as an expression of American unity.
https://allhiphop.com/news/nfl-black-national-anthem/

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A new favorite word?

Well, here's something from a site that's right up your alley. I had to make sure it wasn't one of those satire sites after reading the article. But it looks like they're serious. Seriously!

The National Football League has announced that it will now include “Lift Every Voice and Sing” at the start of its games. The song does replace ”The Star Spangled Banner, the official national anthem of the United States". During Super Bowl 55 in February, the NFL permitted the song to be performed before the game, by Alicia Key.

Players from the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers connecting side-by-side as an expression of American unity.

The site may not be satire, but it’s still poor and you should do a better job of vetting your sources. The first link in your quote says, “The song will be performed ahead of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” according to reports.”

Ahead of,” not “instead of.”

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A new favorite word?

Following all the links back to original sources:

The league’s TV partners typically only televise anthems before special games such as Opening Night or the Super Bowl. So expect viewers of the game telecast on NBC Sports to hear both “Lift Every Voice and Sing” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

The league wants to showcase the Black national anthem in all “tentpole events” moving forward, said another source. That will include the Super Bowl, NFL Playoffs, NFL Draft, and NFL Kickoff game.
NFL to Roll Out More Social Justice Messaging in 2021 Season (frontofficesports.com)

So they'll be playing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" before certain games along with "The Star-Spangled Banner." That's not a replacement for "The Star-Spangled Banner," and of course the NFL does not determine the national anthem will be anyway, so they can't officially "replace" it with anything. That would literally take an act of Congress.

So, yeah, gaslighting is exactly what you're doing.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The site may not be satire, but it’s still poor and you should do a better job of vetting your sources. The first link in your quote says, “The song will be performed ahead of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” according to reports.”

Ahead of,” not “instead of.”

I hadn't intended for that first link to be there. The second link is where I got the article from, and the text I included from it had the first link within the text.
After that first link, it said, "The song does replace ”The Star Spangled Banner, the official national anthem of the United States". During Super Bowl 55 in February, the NFL permitted the song to be performed before the game, by Alicia Key."

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Following all the links back to original sources:

NFL to Roll Out More Social Justice Messaging in 2021 Season (frontofficesports.com)

So they'll be playing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" before certain games along with "The Star-Spangled Banner." That's not a replacement for "The Star-Spangled Banner," and of course the NFL does not determine the national anthem will be anyway, so they can't officially "replace" it with anything. That would literally take an act of Congress.

So, yeah, gaslighting is exactly what you're doing.

You forgot:
"The song does replace ”The Star Spangled Banner, the official national anthem of the United States". During Super Bowl 55 in February, the NFL permitted the song to be performed before the game, by Alicia Key."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You forgot:
"The song does replace ”The Star Spangled Banner, the official national anthem of the United States". During Super Bowl 55 in February, the NFL permitted the song to be performed before the game, by Alicia Key."

As I said:

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As I said:

The black website says otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I hadn't intended for that first link to be there. The second link is where I got the article from, and the text I included from it had the first link within the text.
After that first link, it said, "The song does replace ”The Star Spangled Banner, the official national anthem of the United States". During Super Bowl 55 in February, the NFL permitted the song to be performed before the game, by Alicia Key."

I know what you intended. That’s why I said you did a poor job of vetting your sources - AllHipHop obviously made a mistake (further down the article it says “inclusion (not replacement)”), and you didn’t bother clicking through to any of the original sources to verify that their summary matched what their sources wrote. You failed at interneting.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am. i have. I do.
Well I stand corrected. There is one black person on the planet under the age of 75 who sings the song.

It may actually be true that no black Catholics sing it, but it's a staple in many black protestant churches.
I grew up in black protestant churches and was protestant for 3/4 of my life. Regardless, I wrote black people under the age of 75. Historically black protestant churches nowadays are full of little old ladies. There's hardly any young people and barely any men left in those churches, other than the pastor. Of course, there are exceptions here and there, but let's keep it real hardly anybody sings that song nowadays.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I stand corrected. There is one black person on the planet under the age of 75 who sings the song.

I grew up in black protestant churches and was protestant for 3/4 of my life. Regardless, I wrote black people under the age of 75. Historically black protestant churches nowadays are full of little old ladies. There's hardly any young people and barely any men left in those churches, other than the pastor. Of course, there are exceptions here and there, but let's keep it real hardly anybody sings that song nowadays.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

As I said 'way earlier, I don't think the song should be wasted on the NFL audience, but all this tizzy over it is overblown, and it's never going to become the new US national anthem.

And there are these young black men (over a million and a half views):

(2) Lift Every Voice - YouTube

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Whether you think "I know what I am talking about" is completely irrelevant to me.

As I said 'way earlier, I don't think the song should be wasted on the NFL audience, but all this tizzy over it is overblown, and it's never going to become the new US national anthem.
That's perfectly fine by me.

And there are these young black men (over a million and a half views):

(2) Lift Every Voice - YouTube
You searched for that? You can find a video of anything on YouTube.

But that's fine too. I stand corrected again. There is 1 black person under the age of 75 who sings the song, plus 5 who made a YouTube video of the song at some point during their lives.

They have a cover of the Beatles "Help" too and many other songs.

I suppose this means that black people are walking around each morning singing the Beatles too?

Look, we ain't gonna agree on the topic. What I wrote is my opinion, in case that was not sufficiently obvious. You have a different opinion. Congratulations.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tied_In_Knots

Jul 19, 2021
Silver Springs
✟15,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am. i have. I do.

Cosigned. This might be one of the saddest threads I've read in a long time. I remember learning this song in the 2nd or 3rd grade during black history month, and even as a little boy I remember thinking that it was a powerful distillation of overcoming a tragic past (and sometimes still tragic present) with hope and faith. TBH it never crossed my mind that a person who wasn't filled with racial hate might object to this song being given a special place in the pantheon of Patriotic American songs or consider such an elevated stature to be a tacit declaration of racial segregation. I guess I just sort of took it for granted that most of us at least learned the song and its roots & context in school similar to the way I did, during black history month alongside all those great black luminaries, freedom fighters and allies and understood it and valued it appropriately as a patriotic song birthed of its time and place meant to evoke remembrance and reverence just like the rest of our patriotic songs. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, I should have known better because just like when I was shocked as a teen that some of my friends didn't understand the purpose, intent and catalysts for pride movements and representation in entertainment and media, I should know to take it for granted that many people don't simply default to the position that everyone wants to be heard, recognized and represented and that it is not about excluding "You" so much as it is about including "me". I think that the Black National Anthem is one of our nation's great patriotic songs, I think if they allowed themselves then anyone could let it bring closer to mind the struggles and experiences of their fellow Americans and act as a meditation on the bygone fallen and past heroes just like the Star Spangled Banner. You could let it be a wedge if you so choose, but it could just as well be the opposite of a wedge....a clamp... no...wood glue...no...a bungee cord of freedom and unity XD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think that the Black National Anthem is one of our nation's great patriotic songs, I think if they allowed themselves then anyone could let it bring closer to mind the struggles and experiences of their fellow Americans and act as a meditation on bygone fallen and past heroes just like the Star Spangled Banner.
Fair enough. But if it is called the Black National Anthem, doesn't that mean it is the National Anthem... for black people? Sounds like segregation to me.

Upvote 0

Tied_In_Knots

Jul 19, 2021
Silver Springs
✟15,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Fair enough. But if it is called the Black National Anthem, doesn't that mean it is the National Anthem... for black people? Sounds like segregation to me.

Yes, I do not doubt that it sincerely does sound like that to you. Maybe when you read "Black national anthem" you see it as "The Blacks ONLY national anthem" but an equally valid reading could be "The anthem about black Americans" or "An anthem that speaks to the black experience in the American nation"... admittedly an unwieldy mouthful, but its a no less legitimate parsing. There is a yearly festival in my city called rather uncreatively "The African American Festival", it is a celebration of the food, music, art & culture of black people, but it is not restricted to black people despite its exclusive appearing name, in fact people of other cultures are encouraged to come and interact and learn about black people stuff (and spend money of course ;D). I have a pretty funny story about a white family stumbling into what they though was this "black" festival and being enthusiastically welcomed and having a blast.

You aren't alone in seeing things that are tailored to black people or designed to represent black people as exclusionary, and undoubtedly if you looked for an example of that being the case you could find some. However you might also want to consider that it overwhelmingly isn't about excluding or alienating you, or taking something way from you and often it can be an enriching and fun way to experience another culture. It is important to note that segregation in the context of America's past was about exclusion, and white supremacy, a "White" fountain did not mean a fountain that celebrated white history, achievements & culture and anyone was free to drink of its sweet life giving water, it meant exclusively for the use of white people. This is the lens through which I believe you are viewing things like the Black National Anthem and BET, but they are not equivalent.

I don't know what your race/ethnicity/nationality is, but I know that sometimes the majority or historical majority in a society finds it difficult to understand that their society often overrepresents or exclusively represents them and has done so for so long that it has become ingrained as the default, and when more varied representations and views are promoted as equally important it feels like an attack or disrespect or disenfranchisement. I cannot say for certain that this is exactly what you are experiencing, but even if it isn't precisely, it might help you to think of alternative motives behind things like the Black National Anthem that do not fit into the Jim Crow model. I truly hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Unfortunately, there is a general loss of literary comprehension in America today...people often just don't know what words really mean, or understand words only in their most common, or sometimes most narrow, context.

An "anthem" is: "A rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause." It's not limited particularly to the official song of a nation. Even a movement or an era can have an anthem. "Give Peace a Chance" has been called the anthem of the "Woodstock Era."

For that matter, a nation can have several popular songs that are all technically anthemic in nature. "America," "America the Beautiful," and "This Land is My Land" are all anthems. "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" is an anthem.

What would make any particular anthem "national" would be the extent that it is sung. If it were sung by people only in one town or region or state, it would not be "national." If it's sung by people across the nation, then it's "national."

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" is anthemic in musical characteristic. It's been sung (mostly) by black people all over the nation. So it has been called "the black national anthem."

Very significantly: It has never been sung by any "black nationalists." It has always been sung by black people hopeful for integration, which is what the song is essentially about.

“...But the song is an anthem of universal uplift. It's a song that speaks to every group that struggles. When you think of the words “lift every voice,” of course as a black person, I see the struggles of black people. But I also see the struggles of Native Americans. I see the struggles of Chinese Americans. I see the struggles of women. I see the struggles of gays and lesbians. I see the struggles of Jews. I see the struggles of the human condition. And I have to talk about that,” says Askew, who has had an academic love affair with the hymn for nearly 40 years.

“Lift Every Voice and Sing” has been sung by Mormons, Southern white folks and congregations around the world, appearing in more than 30 church hymnals. Rabbi Stephen Wise of the Free Synagogue in New York wrote to the Johnson brothers in 1928, calling the hymn the “noblest anthem I have ever heard.” That, says Askew, is a testament to the song’s universal magnetism beyond the defining lines of race and religion.

The History of "Lift Every Voice and Sing" | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian Magazine

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, there is a general loss of literary comprehension in America today...people often just don't know what words really mean, or understand words only in their most common, or sometimes most narrow, context.

An "anthem" is: "A rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause." It's not limited particularly to the official song of a nation. Even a movement or an era can have an anthem. "Give Peace a Chance" has been called the anthem of the "Woodstock Era."

For that matter, a nation can have several popular songs that are all technically anthemic in nature. "America," "America the Beautiful," and "This Land is My Land" are all anthems. "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" is an anthem.

What would make any particular anthem "national" would be the extent that it is sung. If it were sung by people only in one town or region or state, it would not be "national." If it's sung by people across the nation, then it's "national."

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" is anthemic in musical characteristic. It's been sung (mostly) by black people all over the nation. So it has been called "the black national anthem."

Speaking of literary comprehension, the term "National Anthem" carries a specific connotation of being the anthem that officially represents a given nation. No one says, "Please rise for the signing of the official anthemic musical selection that represents the United States". Why? Because the term "National Anthem" is understood to mean "The Star Spangled Banner" in the United States, or "O Canada" in Canada, etc., etc. So calling it the "Black National Anthem" is problematic in that each nation can have only one "National Anthem".

It's true that all of the other songs you listed are anthemic in nature, but none of them are THE National Anthem.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking of literary comprehension, the term "National Anthem" carries a specific connotation of being the anthem that officially represents a given nation. No one says, "Please rise for the signing of the official anthemic musical selection that represents the United States". Why? Because the term "National Anthem" is understood to mean "The Star Spangled Banner" in the United States, or "O Canada" in Canada, etc., etc. So calling it the "Black National Anthem" is problematic in that each nation can have only one "National Anthem".

It's true that all of the other songs you listed are anthemic in nature, but none of them are THE National Anthem.

The phrase "Black National Anthem" is nothing more than a colloquialism. Cyburn's bill proposed making this the "National Hymn" - not the "Black <anything>", not the "<other> National Anthem", just "The National Hymn."

Rep. James Clyburn Proposes To Make 'Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing' The National Hymn

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0