Black Lives Matter and the Trial Result

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As per the following article regarding Black Lives Matter violence if Officer Chauvin is found innocent, how do you think our government leaders should handle such an event? What should President Biden do and what should mayors of cities do?
‘All hell will break loose’ if Chauvin not convicted, buildings will be ‘on fire,’ says model, BLM activist

Clearly the situation would merit nothing more than a "You're special. We love you. Please go home."

Why, did you have something different in mind?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is where that logic breaks down: No one else is responsible for your actions but you. No one "causes" someone else to do something. People cause their own reactions.
You might think so, but that's not how it works when a group of people engages in violence.

For instance, in a robbery, the getaway driver might not even know that any of his cohorts were armed, but if one of them kills someone during the commission of the crime, each one is considered liable for the murder. Ms. Babbit intentionally engaged in a crime along with a mob which resulted in deaths, including her own.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You might think so, but that's not how it works when a group of people engages in violence.

For instance, in a robbery, the getaway driver might not even know that any of his cohorts were armed, but if one of them kills someone during the commission of the crime, each one is considered liable for the murder. Ms. Babbit intentionally engaged in a crime along with a mob which resulted in deaths, including her own.

Would this also mean that if someone attended a BLACK LIVES MATTER rally and did nothing but hold up a sign and chant slogans, but then other members of that rally started throwing firebombs, hitting people in the head with bricks, overturning police cars, etc., they would be liable for what the violent people at the rally did?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would this also mean that if someone attended a BLACK LIVES MATTER rally and did nothing but hold up a sign and chant slogans, but then other members of that rally started throwing firebombs, hitting people in the head with bricks, overturning police cars, etc., they would be liable for what the violent people at the rally did?
No, because attending a rally and holding up a sign is not illegal. Breaking into the Capitol and going after senators, representatives and the vice president is illegal.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, because attending a rally and holding up a sign is not illegal.

Neither is attending a Trump rally or entering the Capitol building.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A white police officer was video'd kneeling on a black man's neck. The man died, 'causing a mob of people to react' leaving a dozen dead and $500 Million in damages. Should 'legal action' for this be brought against the cop?
Did the cop do this with the intent of having it video taped and causing the mob of people to kill and destroy?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neither is attending a Trump rally or entering the Capitol building.
Attending the Trump rally wasn't the problem. Entering the Capitol by breaking through police barricades, smashing doors and windows most certainly is illegal. And you know it.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Could and will are very different things. If I shout "FIRE" in a theater (when there isn't one) and everyone ignores me because they don't see any indication that I am telling the truth, then what harm has been caused? Moreso, if they do react to my word, without evidence, then I may have been the catalyst, but I don't find it fair or just that I am now responsible for their reaction.

Just like Maxine Waters telling people to "push back on them" was felt by some to be incitement toward violence, unless it's acted upon, they're just empty words. I can find a middle ground that IF something bad happens because someone said something inciting, then yes, hold that person accountable. Otherwise, no harm no foul.
I wasn't talking about empty words that don't result in anything, I was talking about words that cause people to riot, kill, and destroy. Sounds like we agree!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea what you are talking about

Well, they call it "cancel culture," but in reality, it's people facing the consequences of their words and deeds... and they don't like it one bit.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Attending the Trump rally wasn't the problem. Entering the Capitol by breaking through police barricades, smashing doors and windows most certainly is illegal. And you know it.

But only a small minority of the rally attendees entered the Capitol. The question I was asking is whether the rest of the rally attendees are guilty of what the rioters did.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, because attending a rally and holding up a sign is not illegal. Breaking into the Capitol and going after senators, representatives and the vice president is illegal.
How about if an organization like the Media employs deceptive tactics giving the public a false impression which causes riots, destruction, and death; like reporting every time a black man is killed by the cops, and refusing to report when whites are killed giving the false impression only blacks are killed. Should they be held liable?

Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did the cop do this with the intent of having it video taped and causing the mob of people to kill and destroy?

He did seem to be making a show of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, they call it "cancel culture," but in reality, it's people facing the consequences of their words and deeds... and they don't like it one bit.

Cancel culture is evil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Cancel Culture has nothing to do with what I was talking about; I was talking about what is legal or not. The problem with cancel culture is it isn't applied fairly; too often the people getting canceled do not deserve it, and lots of people who should get canceled are allowed to get away with it.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wasn't talking about empty words that don't result in anything, I was talking about words that cause people to riot, kill, and destroy. Sounds like we agree!

But isn't that the point of the OP?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The OP was about words that cause people to riot, kill and destroy

Words don't cause that. People obeying causes that. Calls for violence should always fall on deaf ears, and when they don't, those that perform that violent acts need to be dealt with and swiftly.

Upvote 0