✟370,452.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I hope this little distressing point doesn't get lost:
“These differences cannot be explained by other judge characteristics and grow substantially larger when judges are granted more discretion.”

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
whoa. That misses the point.
If Republican judges were harder on "crime" they would be hard on "crime" and not only on "black crime"; they would be hard on "white crime" too.

Aren't they harder on white crime than liberal judges?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would it affect how you view and understand the data?

No data was presented, only statistics and non-descript statements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would it affect how you view and understand the data?

I asked SummerMadness if he thought conservative judges are racist (based on the information he presented). He often intimates racism in his threads and posts.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟370,452.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I asked SummerMadness if he thought conservative judges are racist (based on the information he presented). He often intimates racism in his threads and posts.
Yes, I see that. And I asked you if his answer would skew how you view this information, that's all.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I see that. And I asked you if his answer would skew how you view this information, that's all.

The information given was meaningless to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can I quote you on that?

It's not the first time I've said it here. I don't always agree with the conclusions presented in such studies. I'm way too old for that.

Edit: It strikes me that conservative judges would naturally take criminality more seriously than liberal judges. This alone could lead to disparity in sentencing. This isn't mentioned in the article. There may be a benign reason for putting blacks behind bars longer....to save them from being killed either by the police or by other blacks. They are locked up longer for their own protection. Of course I would have to interview the judges to determine this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
The study was done by two democrat Harvard professors.

Not saying that makes it wrong but it does make it suspect.
It is possible to pick and choose cases to come up with the desire result. Not saying they did that... But it is possible.

I would rather believe that than we have a whole bunch of racist judges.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The study was done by two democrat Harvard professors.

Not saying that makes it wrong but it does make it suspect.
It is possible to pick and choose cases to come up with the desire result. Not saying they did that... But it is possible.

I would rather believe that than we have a whole bunch of racist judges.

That would confirm that the thrust of the article is that conservative judges give longer sentences (cruel, bad) while liberal judges give shorter sentences (merciful, good).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Complaining there is no data when they detail the dataset is sign that someone didn't read the paper. Studies do not often include the actual data (especially when it involves over 500,000 cases). The data is publicly available, so if you wanted to check their analysis you could. There are also corresponding e-mail addresses so you can contact the researchers.

Data Sources

This paper utilizes data from three sources: (1) the United States Sentencing Commission, (2) the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, and (3) the Federal Judicial Center.

United States Sentencing Commission - We use publicly available data from the USSC on records of all federal offenders sentenced in fiscal years 1999-2015 (October 1, 1998 - September 30, 2015). These data include demographic, Guidelines application, and sentencing information on federal defendants. This information is obtained from numerous documents on every offender such as the indictment, pre-sentence report, plea agreement (if applicable), and judgment of conviction.

If Republican-appointed judges were harder on crime, then there would not be a racial component to their harsher sentences. As for making up reasons that are not reflected in the data or do not describe the variability [staff edit]. One thing about this study that stands out is that they didn't control for some factors; however, controlling for those factors would mean a larger disparity, so the results from this study are underestimation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,509,617.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean.
Please stay on topic and refrain from personal comments.
Failure to do so will result in staff actions equally harsh for everyone!​
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0