House Republicans Promise Investigations While Democrats (and Some Senate Republicans) Pass Bills

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Congress passed the bill defending same-sex and inter-racial marriage.

The Senate has approved the massive Defense bill which has a large amount of support for Ukraine. This will last a year. I should note that there is the flexibility to move monies around, as long as the top numbers aren't exceeded.

The true massive one-year Omnibus budget will be passed by December 23, after a bit more negotiation. The one-week extension has passed Congress. This bill includes more than anyone can analyze in the next month or two. This kind of legislation is just what Congress does. There is negotiation, and the voters have difficulty understanding what was passed. But then, we don't live in a democracy. We elect representatives to negotiate on our behalf.

This bill includes the much-needed changes to the Election Count Act, which Republicans tried to misuse in 2020 and early 2021. Many non-judges think that this law was not misused. Of courses, courts denied all cases, and (along with the DOJ) are considering criminal actions against many of the lawyers. The changes were "needed" to clarify the law. As I said, many, many judges decided that the law didn't "need" these changes. However, I think that this was a good idea.
=========
WHAT ELSE
Congress is considering a Tik-Tok bill to take the app of all the electronics of all federal employees. States are already doing this for their employees. And, yes, many Republicans are leading this effort (the bill was passed unanimously). Rubio would simply ban the app, given the security concerns.

An extension of the child-care credit is being discussed. Republicans don't want a roll call vote on this. [but not likely to pass]

A very limited immigration bill is being pushed. This bill would greatly increase security at the border as well as providing legal status for DACA folk. [not likely to pass].

I'm sure that there is another bill or two that the Senate might approve.

The House has finished initiating anything, other than their January 6th report next Wednesday. It seems likely that the House will need to be in session to approve the budget bill and anything else that Biden requests them to approve, bills that the Senate has approved.