SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Black Defendants Get Longer Sentences From Republican-Appointed Judges, Study Finds
Judges appointed by Republican presidents gave longer sentences to black defendants and shorter ones to women than judges appointed by Democrats, according to a new study that analyzed data on more than half a million defendants.

“Republican-appointed judges sentence black defendants to three more months than similar nonblacks and female defendants to two fewer months than similar males compared with Democratic-appointed judges,” the study found, adding, “These differences cannot be explained by other judge characteristics and grow substantially larger when judges are granted more discretion.”

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I see spin here, too. Even if it is true, that doesn't necessarily equal racism. Do white defendants get longer sentences from Republican judges too? The article does state that the Republican appointed judges are harsher in their sentencing overall.
From the study:
Similar to our previous results, we find that Republican-appointed judges give black offenders an additional 3.0 months in prison compared to non-black offenders, relative to Democratic judges in the same district court, 65 percent of the baseline racial gap.

The answer to your question is yes, they do give longer sentences to black defendants than white defendants.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From the study:

The answer to your question is yes, they do give longer sentences to black defendants than white defendants.

First offense, second, more? There are details that are missing.

Now, don't confuse me... if a white judge is giving a bad deal to ANYONE, I will stand opposed to him.

[Staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, this doesn't surprise me in the least, considering everything I have experienced and witnessed during my lifetime. On a related subject, have you seen the 13TH documentary on Netflix yet? It is a real eye opener on the subject of black defendants being sentenced to prison.
So it doesn’t surprise you they Democratic-appointed judges are softer on crime?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Honestly, this doesn't surprise me in the least, considering everything I have experienced and witnessed during my lifetime. On a related subject, have you seen the 13TH documentary on Netflix yet? It is a real eye opener on the subject of black defendants being sentenced to prison.
Yes, I have seen 13th, it's a great, but sad documentary. I think Chris Hayes book, "A Colony in a Nation," is also helpful on this topic. as it details the attitudes that lead to these harsher sentences (he has a chapter discussing the criminal justice system).

I think this article also highlights some of the issues we see with systemic racism. When you benefit from a system, it is hard to change that system.
Activist Samuel Sinyangwe Sheds Light On Louisiana's Horrible Mass Incarceration Problem
Samuel Sinyangwe, an activist, data analyst, and co-founder of Campaign Zero, took to Twitter on Friday to share what he experienced when he traveled to Louisiana. The state stands out in a country filled with the statistics and stories of an unjust justice system, with the highest rate of incarceration not only in the United States, but also the world. Sinyangwe has been a prominent activist against police brutality, and despite his familiarity with the workings of the system, tweeted that he was shocked by what he found in Louisiana.

So it doesn’t surprise you they Democratic-appointed judges are softer on crime?
That's poor logic. If you were going to say they are softer on crime, then they would give lighter sentences for black and non-black defendants. Likewise, you would argue that Republican judges are soft on non-black defendants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Personally speaking, I don’t think it has much to do with being hard or soft on crime. But I can only base my opinion about this on my own personal experiences during my lifetime, which includes 26 years of experience as a Native American social justice and political activist.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
[Staff edit].

Could the headline have read:

Black Defendants Get Shorter Sentences From Democratic-Appointed Judges, Study Finds

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't able to read the article, but I did read the study since its short. The first thing worth noting, is that they didn't control for the "severity of offense "...which can throw off the results entirely.

The second thing worth noting is that 2.7 months is a pretty low disparity. If you're a reasonable person who understands there's no way these things will ever be completely even...and such disparities between racial demographics exist everywhere...2.7 months is tiny.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Could the headline have read:

Black Defendants Get Shorter Sentences From Democratic-Appointed Judges, Study Finds
No, because the comparison is the differences in their sentencing compare to non-black defendants. Having a smaller racial disparity is a good thing and would be expected. No difference in sentencing is not "soft on crime," it is merely treating offenders without regard to their race. The highlight of the research is that Republican-appointed judges have a higher sentencing disparity.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
For those playing along at home, if Republican-appoointed judges give longer sentences than Democratic-appointed judges, then Democratic-appointed judges give shorter sentences than Republican-appointed judges.

• Haha
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
[Staff edit].

For your headline to be true, you would need:
Republican Judge x White Defendant: 6 Months
Republican Judge x Black Defendant: 6 Months
Democratic Judge x White Defendant: 6 Months
Democratic Judge x Black Defendant: 3 Months​

However, the study found this:
Democratic Judge x White Defendant: 6 Months
Democratic Judge x Black Defendant: 6 Months
Republican Judge x White Defendant: 6 Months
Republican Judge x Black Defendant: 9 Months
[Staff edit].

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
For those playing along at home, if Republican-appoointed judges give longer sentences than Democratic-appointed judges, then Democratic-appointed judges give shorter sentences than Republican-appointed judges.
Your statement is false. The comparison was the disparity in sentencing between Republican- and Democratic-appointed judges for black and non-black defendants. It was not a direct comparison of sentencing for black defendants, it was the difference in sentencing.

[Staff edit].

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
[Staff edit].

From the news article:
Republican-appointed judges sentence black defendants to three more months than similar nonblacks and female defendants to two fewer months than similar males compared with Democratic-appointed judges.

From the study:
Similar to our previous results, we find that Republican-appointed judges give black offenders an additional 3.0 months in prison compared to non-black offenders, relative to Democratic judges in the same district court, 65 percent of the baseline racial gap.

Upvote 0