Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can’t even get past the bullet points on the thumbnail. You won’t get far with me with moral arguments since I’m fully prepared to bite the “your basis for morality is ultimately arbitrary and subjective” bullet. Everyone’s is.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Uh-oh.... You're one of the "everything is subjective" types, aren't you?

No, I just don't believe mathematics represents anything but abstractions of reality.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No, I just don't believe mathematics represents anything but abstractions of reality.
Math is one way we try to describe reality, so are words. If we can't say that something as simple as 2+2=4 is an objective fact, then we can't make any statements that are.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I can’t even get past the bullet points on the thumbnail. You won’t get far with me with moral arguments since I’m fully prepared to bite the “your basis for morality is ultimately arbitrary and subjective” bullet. Everyone’s is.
lol, yeah. It was this very argument for God's existence that proved to me that morality is subjective (I usta think it wasn't). I realized that all they are doing is deferring to a different subject to decide what is moral or immoral, and poof!

• Agree
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Math is one way we try to describe reality, so are words. If we can't say that something as simple as 2+2=4 is an objective fact, then we can't make any statements that are.

Math is symbolic representation, and like all representations, it's meaning isn't objective but socially constructed.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
So is all of human language. Ergo, nothing we have to say is objective. Ergo, everything is subjective.

Language is intersubjective. The whole point is to communicate something. Not necessarily facts, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Math is symbolic representation, and like all representations, it's meaning isn't objective but socially constructed.
Numbers are representative tokens that represent things that are real. Math is a system we derived to calculate said representative tokens. Though math is socially constructed, it is based on objective facts. IOW whatever math was used to calculate, is objective.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Language is intersubjective. The whole point is to communicate something. Not necessarily facts, though.
No, not ever facts. Remember, like you said:

"like all representations, it's meaning isn't objective"

Logic and reason is just an attempt to organize our ideas of concepts into formulations that create new knowledge. If everything that goes into reason lacks objectivity, everything that comes out of it is too.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Numbers are representative tokens that represent things that are real. Math is a system we derived to calculate said representative tokens. Though math is socially constructed, it is based on objective facts. IOW whatever math was used to calculate, is objective.

It represents things that are perceived as real in some contexts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True; it can represent things that are perceived as real, or it can represent things that actually are real.

Tying this excellent point back to morality; is suffering from injustice real? If so, can we say morality is a representation of that reality?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Tying this excellent point back to morality; is suffering from injustice real?
It is subjectively real to the person suffering; so yes.
If so, can we say morality is a representation of that reality?
Not quite. Morality is a judgment concerning the right vs wrong of the suffering.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It represents things that are perceived as real in some contexts.
Again, if that works for math it works for language. There isn't anything more special about one set of symbols and rules over the other. And if everything we use to think about anything is reduced to mere abstractions that can't touch real objectivity, then thinking is pointless.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Again, if that works for math it works for language. There isn't anything more special about one set of symbols and rules over the other. And if everything we use to think about anything is reduced to mere abstractions that can't touch real objectivity, then thinking is pointless.

Human language and thought have limitations in terms of grasping truth.

Are you familiar with Gödel’s incompleteness theorem?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Human language and thought have limitations in terms of grasping truth.

Are you familiar with Gödel’s incompleteness theorem?
Yep. 2+2=4 is one of the things that can be proven true though, so I don't think it helps your case.

Honestly, I can't defeat that kind of nihilism, and I don't think anyone can. I'm just pointing out that putting all claims on the same level of uncertainty makes all thought worthless. You're going to have to make some assumptions in order to believe anything.

Upvote 0