✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But there are some negatives that cannot be proven
And there are some positive claims that cannot be proven as well. It isn't the distinction as to whether the claim is positive or negative that makes a claim unprovable.
and from my experience, usually when the “can’t prove a negative” claim is used, it is in defense of the claim that if you can’t prove a claim false, you must accept it as true.
The better response is to call that person out for a "Shifting the Burden of Proof Fallacy".
However, if a person were to assert a negative claim, it is up to them to prove that negative claim, otherwise they should not be asserting a negative if they aren't prepared to prove it.
Exactly.

I don't make claims about the things I lack belief in.
I will assert negative claims only for the things I believe are not real/true.

There's a difference between "not believing something" and "believing something is not true".

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And there are some positive claims that cannot be proven as well. It isn't the distinction as to whether the claim is positive or negative that makes a claim unprovable.
From my experience, the positive claims that can't be proven are usually untrue; the same can't be said for most negative claims.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if he has the same emotional stunting as me or whether his sense of self is so secure online criticism can't hurt him
Can't it be a bit of both?

Where'd ya go, buddy? I finally gave you what you were begging for and *poof* you up and disappeared on me! I gave you an @ mention back in post #279 so you'd see it and every-stuff!

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Dude, you made a inappropriate behavior with animals joke. Of course you upset some prude.

I am not responsible for the lurid filthy imagination of some Christian....that was a joke about Kosher slaughter.

I find it remarkable that you remember all those other reportable posts and think I would report you over a joke and none of those. I don't think you've said on here exactly what you do, but aren't you in law enforcement of some kind? I hope you aren't a detective of any sort, lol.

Mhmmm...yeah, law enforcement of some kind. Took a desk job doing something I call "data analytics" and then change subject on the rare occasion someone asks.

As for you....you have a tendency to "go off" as the kids used to say. I think I got about 2-3 posts deep in our last exchange before you accused me of some chicanery. It took about 12 pages of sweet talking to bring you around.

lol You sure do love your Argument from Silence fallacy. That's why I like exploiting it so much. All I have to do is not say something, and you'll spew forth a bevy of unfounded false claims.

No fallacy here....you made the positive claim. Burden of proof lies with you.

You can dodge if you like, I'll just reply with the number of times you failed to support your claim in the slightest. What is this....3 now? We'll call it 3...I have a hunch it won't matter.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Can't it be a bit of both?

Where'd ya go, buddy? I finally gave you what you were begging for and *poof* you up and disappeared on me! I gave you an @ mention back in post #279 so you'd see it and every-stuff!

Failure #4.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ugh... Alright. @Ken-1122 @Ana the Ist @Kylie @Estrid

You've all chimed in either vocally or through 'Winner' ratings in support of this "you can't prove a negative" idea, so I'm going to spell it out for all of you at once.

If you can't prove a negative claim, then nothing has ever been disproven.

Oof....this is embarrassing. At least we now know the problem.

You don't know what a negative claim is...

Wikipedia:Avoid negative claims - Wikipedia

If the Wikipedia entry is too confusing for you....the assertion of a positive that contradicts another positive claim...is still a positive claim....not necessarily a negative one.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Oof....this is embarrassing. At least we now know the problem.

You don't know what a negative claim is...

Wikipedia:Avoid negative claims - Wikipedia

If the Wikipedia entry is too confusing for you....the assertion of a positive that contradicts another positive claim...is still a positive claim....not necessarily a negative one.
lulz This is the very basics of deductive logic.

P1 ~(X & Y)
P2 X
C ~Y

For example, if I prove the positive claim that "The Earth is round" I also prove the negative claim that "The Earth is not flat".

P1 It is not true that the Earth is both round and flat.
P2 The Earth is round
C The Earth is not flat.

Proving the positive claim X that is mutually exclusive with the positive claim Y also proves the negation of the positive claim Y.

Plus I did a full on proof of a negative claim in two sentences (just in case you're a flat-earther). Wouldn't surprise me based on your poor skills in logic.

While you were perusing that page you probably wanted to look into the link on the "Burden of Proof", since that's what your claim is all about, ya?

Wikipedia:Burden of proof

Proving a negative

A negative claim is the opposite of an affirmative or positive claim. It asserts the non-existence or exclusion of something.

A negative claim may or may not exist as a counterpoint to a previous claim. A proof of impossibility or an evidence of absence argument are typical methods to fulfill the burden of proof for a negative claim.

Checkmate.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
lulz This is the very basics of deductive logic.

P1 ~(X & Y)
P2 X
C ~Y

For example, if I prove the positive claim that "The Earth is round" I also prove the negative claim that "The Earth is not flat".

P1 It is not true that the Earth is both round and flat.

You picked a contradictory claim?

Seriously, reread the description of a negative claim. You still don't get it....and I don't want to have to dumb this down further.

I mean....the a square isn't a circle....not because I can prove so....but because these are mutually exclusive concepts. I don't even need to try to prove it....I can just explain what a square is and what a circle is....or round and flat.

Pick a negative claim this time.

Failure #5.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You picked a contradictory claim?
It's impossible not too, dummy. All claims have a contradiction to them. That's how the word 'not' works.

I mean....the a square isn't a circle....not because I can prove so....but because these are mutually exclusive concepts. I don't even need to try to prove it....I can just explain what a square is and what a circle is....or round and flat.
Good, good, you know the difference between round and flat, now we're getting somewhere.

So is the Earth round or is it flat? It's round, right? That means it is NOT flat.

I didn't prove the difference between a flat thing and a round thing, I proved that a thing has one of those features and LACKS the other feature because it can't have both
Pick a negative claim this time.
I did. The conclusion is the claim. Here is the negative claim I proved again:

The Earth is not flat.

Are you saying my argument was not valid? If so, how is it not valid?
Are you saying my argument was not sound? If so, which premise is false?

Oh, and you must have accidentally missed where your own source countered your claim, so I'll post it again.

Wikipedia: Burden of Proof

A proof of impossibility or an evidence of absence argument are typical methods to fulfill the burden of proof for a negative claim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's impossible not too, dummy.

You proved the law of logical non-contradiction.

You didn't even make a negative claim.

Seriously....are you just messing with me? You wrote the words that prove you wrong in the previous post.

I don't have to point them out....do I?

It feels like you were hoping I wouldn't notice or something.

And frankly, while I considered dragging this out for as many posts as possible before pointing out you somehow glossed over the point that shows you never understood the concept to begin with....

If you really don't understand it, that just seems unnecessarily mean.

Please read the definition again, if you truly don't understand why you're wrong....just ask me to explain. I'll use the exact same definition.

And check your tone. There's a reporter lurking here with an itchy finger. Funny you shouldn't be concerned about it.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You proved the law of logical non-contradiction.
No, that's a premise.
You didn't even make a negative claim.
Yes, again, since you weren't paying attention the first time, that's this claim here:

The Earth is not flat.

That's the claim. That's what's proved using the law of non-contradiction as a premise.

I'll be happy to help you learn how logic works and what an argument is and how to write a valid one and understand what that means if you just ask.

Oh, and you must have again accidentally missed where your own source countered your claim, so I'll post it again.

A proof of impossibility or an evidence of absence argument are typical methods to fulfill the burden of proof for a negative claim.

And check your tone. There's a reporter lurking here with an itchy finger. Funny you shouldn't be concerned about it.
Oh boy, here we go. You got a post deleted, accused me for no reason, and now I'm never going to hear the end of it, am I?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, that's a premise.

Your premise is an attempt to prove non-contradiction.

Yes, again, since you weren't paying attention the first time, that's this claim here:

The Earth is not flat.

That's the claim. That's what's proved using the law of non-contradiction as a premise.

Actually this was the premise...

It is not true that the Earth is both round and flat.

This is you stating that something cannot be contradictory things.

And I'm being really generous here....if I wanted to be a jerk about it I'd point out that when you fail to make the claim about the existence of the subject, and instead choose to just describe qualitative aspects of it, you risk running into a semantic argument.

For example....

The Earth is not perfectly round and as an oblate spheroid, is characterized by a degree of flatness, ergo....the Earth is both flat and round.

Without a clearly delineated threshold for when roundness becomes flatness this is a valid semantic argument.

This is me dunking on you from the top of the key lol.

I'll be happy to help you learn how logic works and what an argument is and how to write a valid one and understand what that means if you just ask.

It's hilarious you think this is a purely logical matter.

You're not even good at logic. I'm being generous in saying you proved non contradiction. Surely you remember going on and on about....what was it? Preference? Desire? Something that you believed a valid explanation as a source of all morality because you constructed it off a faulty premise.

Oh, and you must have again accidentally missed where your own source countered your claim, so I'll post it again.

If you bothered to read the part you aren't highlighting....and try really really hard to think about it....and realize that neither of those apply to your claims....

And then understand you're still failing to make a negative claim lol.

Failure #7.

Oh boy, here we go. You got a post deleted, accused me for no reason, and now I'm never going to hear the end of it, am I?

No reason?

I don't see a lot done without a reason.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Your premise is an attempt to prove non-contradiction.
No, my premise is used to prove this negative claim:

The Earth is not flat.
Actually this was the premise...

It is not true that the Earth is both round and flat.

This is you stating that something cannot be contradictory things.
Uh-huh, that's a premise. But the premise isn't the thing that is being proven. The conclusion is the thing being proven, and the conclusion is a negative claim. Since we agree that the Earth cannot be round and flat, and we agree that the Earth is round, it is impossible for the conclusion to be false. Ergo, the negative claim:

The Earth is not flat.

Is proven true. Again, the very basics of deductive logic escape you. It's a two premise argument and you can't comprehend that well enough to even follow along with what is being proven.

And I'm being really generous here....if I wanted to be a jerk about it I'd point out that when you fail to make the claim about the existence of the subject, and instead choose to just describe qualitative aspects of it, you risk running into a semantic argument.

For example....

The Earth is not perfectly round and as an oblate spheroid, is characterized by a degree of flatness, ergo....the Earth is both flat and round.

Without a clearly delineated threshold for when roundness becomes flatness this is a valid semantic argument.

This is me dunking on you from the top of the key lol.
If you wanted to make a semantic argument now, you would have to flip flop on agreeing to my first premise. So no dunking. Just you flailing around helplessly trying to avoid losing the point you lost pages ago.

If you bothered to read the part you aren't highlighting....and try really really hard to think about it....and realize that neither of those apply to your claims....
lulz, you still think your position holds water after reading that from your source?

First of all, it is literally telling you to fulfill your burden of proving a negative, whereas you claim there is no burden of proof for negative claims.

Second, it tells you two methods of proving a negative, whereas you claimed it is impossible to prove a negative claim.

Third, both methods are methods I used in the plethora of examples where I proved a negative. In the most recent posts I proved a negative by proving it is impossible for the Earth to be flat because it is round.

In my first post of explaining this very basic concept to you, I claimed I would prove a negative in three sentences:

The next sentence I write will not contain the letter 'q'.
Oops, I did it in two.

Which is an absence of evidence proof.

Even if I failed to provide a proof, which I did not, your own source tells you that you're wrong on all counts, and you're still blathering nonsense at me. Your inability to acknowledge mistakes is positively pathological.
And then understand you're still failing to make a negative claim lol.
The Earth is not flat. That's the claim. That claim is negative. That claim has been proven. Learn to read.

You're not even good at logic.
lol This from the guy that doesn't know the difference between a 'premise' and a 'conclusion'. lol
Surely you remember...
I do remember that you don't know what makes an argument valid or how to write one, yep. Your best effort was something like this:

P1 I believe X
P2 I believe Y
P3 I believe Z
C I believe A

Yep. Not valid. Though you insisted repeatedly that it was. A list of beliefs isn't an argument. And since you don't know what makes an argument valid, you aren't fit to attempt to refute mine.

No reason?

I don't see a lot done without a reason.
Yeah, no reason. You're claiming that I did the reporting, and your evidence is my impeccable track record of never reporting posts ever in the past. Only an idiot interprets evidence like that.

Detective Bill: Golly! I wonder who murdered all of these people!
Detective Bob: I bet it was that little old lady who has never had so much as a parking ticket in her entire life!
Detective Bill: You're a moron, Bob.

Now, just for the sake of argument, let's assume that all the nonsense you've been writing since my list of examples of proving negatives is valid and coherent. You must have made the claim, "Orel did NOT prove a negative" and then you would have proved it. If you succeed, then you prove me right. There is no winning here for you. The idea that "a negative claim cannot be proven" is me, Todd, Ed.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0