Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep. 2+2=4 is one of the things that can be proven true though, so I don't think it helps your case.

Honestly, I can't defeat that kind of nihilism, and I don't think anyone can.

I'm not a nihilist. However, neither am I a logical positivist.

I'm just pointing out that putting all claims on the same level of uncertainty makes all thought worthless. You're going to have to make some assumptions in order to believe anything.

Or we can hold beliefs about the world but acknowledge our beliefs about the world are not eternal truths.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a nihilist.
Eh... If it's impossible to know anything as true, then kind of, yeah.
Or we can hold beliefs about the world but acknowledge our beliefs about the world are not eternal truths.
You can hold beliefs, but none of them are true because they're mere abstractions of reality.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is subjectively real to the person suffering; so yes.

Not quite. Morality is a judgment concerning the right vs wrong of the suffering.

Agreed, subjectively real, is still real.

Doesn’t the term “injustice” imply wrong doing, which is causing the suffering?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. it implies wrong doing, but that implication is still a subjective opinion.

True, but I thought we agreed subjectively real, is still real(objectively real)?

Or has there been a misunderstanding between us?

to clarify; I tend to think of the term ‘subjective’ as what’s objectively happening within a person’s mind.

Thinking of it in this way makes it possible to determine if what someone’s thinking is objectively right or wrong(assuming they’re capable of telling you what they’re truly thinking).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Eh... If it's impossible to know anything as true, then kind of, yeah.

It's impossible to know anything as absolutely true. I believe in provisional truths.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Numbers aren't real... they are abstractions of reality and exist only as concepts.
I think you meant to say that numbers aren't concretes. Saying that something exists but is not real is a self-contradictory statement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are two constant, immutable rules in the Bible.

Obey God.
Don't be gay.
Actually Christ tells us the 2 commandments that sum up morality.
Matthew 22:37-40
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you meant to say that numbers aren't concretes. Saying that something exists but is not real is a self-contradictory statement.

I am a philosophical nominalist. I don't believe abstractions or general categories actually exist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
^This is not a provisional truth claim.

Your above truth claim contradicts this truth claim. Do you see that as a problem?

Nope. What I said wasn't meant to be an analytical statement. It was meant to convey my agnosticism and rejection of authoritarianism.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
True, but I thought we agreed subjectively real, is still real(objectively real)?

Or has there been a misunderstanding between us?
No. Subjectively real is not the same as objectively real. Objectively real means it can be demonstrated as real using empirical facts, subjectively real means based on the subject’s beliefs and opinions. However, that which is objectively real, is also subjectively real,(that which is proven true, is also believed true) however everything that is subjectively real is not always gonna be objectively real. (just because you believe it doesn’t mean you can prove it to be true).
"Subjective" vs. "Objective": What's The Difference?
to clarify; I tend to think of the term ‘subjective’ as what’s objectively happening within a person’s mind.

Thinking of it in this way makes it possible to determine if what someone’s thinking is objectively right or wrong(assuming they’re capable of telling you what they’re truly thinking).
By definition; if it only exists within your mind, it is not objective.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm. Another self-contradiction. Something exists but is not real. If something is real, does it exist?
Everything that is real exists, but not everything that exists is real, because it is possible for something to only exist only in your mind, and that which only exists within your mind is not real. (even though there are things that can exist in your mind that appear to be real to you)

Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Everything that is real exists, but not everything that exists is real, because it is possible for something to only exist only in your mind, and that which only exists within your mind is not real. (even though there are things that can exist in your mind that appear to be real to you)
I see, Thank you for answering Ken.

Upvote 0